• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

LAIRA

Poor show??? What are you expecting?
A bus every fifteen minutes as per the timetable. If there is a problem on the route all day some effort to adjust the workings. The bus I joined in Camborne changed driver perhaps a bus out of the garage to slot in so that driver started on time and use the bus pulled off to slot in later. Passengers on the pulled bus could easily change into the bus that was running with it.
Just a little effort needed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
A bus every fifteen minutes as per the timetable. If there is a problem on the route all day some effort to adjust the workings. The bus I joined in Camborne changed driver perhaps a bus out of the garage to slot in so that driver started on time and use the bus pulled off to slot in later. Passengers on the pulled bus could easily change into the bus that was running with it.
Where are the spare buses coming from at that time of the day? If they’re in the garage at that peak time they’re probably defective and under repair!

LAIRA

Where are the spare buses coming from at that time of the day? If they’re in the garage at that peak time they’re probably defective and under repair!
Left Camborne about 14.00 plenty of buses available then. I would have thought First would have 1 bus spare even in the peak.

On the Buses

Two separate routes that join together for the last half both on 30 minutes. Roadworks delaying one half. Both need to run on for through customers.
To place the missing journeys would require 4 buses and 10 drivers across the week. Maybe you aren’t aware but we have a driver shortage caused by growing numbers of staff isolating and a delay through Occ Health and DVSA in getting the 40 trainees we have waiting to start out.

‘just a little effort needed’ - our whole team who aren’t off with Covid is busting backsides week in week out, day in day out, hour in hour out - to keep the show on the road against huge odds at present.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Two separate routes that join together for the last half both on 30 minutes. Roadworks delaying one half. Both need to run on for through customers.
To place the missing journeys would require 4 buses and 10 drivers across the week. Maybe you aren’t aware but we have a driver shortage caused by growing numbers of staff isolating and a delay through Occ Health and DVSA in getting the 40 trainees we have waiting to start out.
You have my utmost sympathy in keeping the show on the road in these trying (other words are available) circumstances and I think you're doing an admirable job, not forgetting your wage slaves of course. Credit where it's due!

CornwallBus

Doesn't the 95 to Wadebridge also go through Tresillian then bears off through Ladock like the 89 does?
Oh yes forgot that one! Is that hourly or two hourly? I've seen a column of TfC interspersed with the 27 during the day, and not even at College times.

GBM

Perhaps LAIRA should spend a few hours in Camborne or Summercourt control to see all the spare drivers and vehicles waiting around; to also give his views on where things can be seemingly improved.
Or even take things to extreme and join First and work with Marc.

As has been said many times above, there's a shortage of staff and vehicles everywhere. All staff are running on empty with continual pressure to TRY and maintain even a basic service. There are NO spares of either.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Perhaps LAIRA should spend a few hours in Camborne or Summercourt control to see all the spare drivers and vehicles waiting around; to also give his views on where things can be seemingly improved.

As has been said many times above, there's a shortage of staff and vehicles everywhere. All staff are running on empty with continual pressure to TRY and maintain even a basic service. There are NO spares of either.
And you only have to look across the border in Devon to see somewhere where things have gone badly wrong.

LAIRA

Sorry to say I am too old to return to work and I am now unable to drive due to ill health. I am sure I would learn a lot from a few hours in Camborne control but I don't expect to see see many spare drivers.

richw

Veteran Member
Sorry to say I am too old to return to work and I am now unable to drive due to ill health. I am sure I would learn a lot from a few hours in Camborne control but I don't expect to see see many spare drivers.
Nor will you be likely to see any spare buses, especially at 1400 just as buses are off to schools for afternoon school runs.
Here in Cornwall both large operators are keeping close to full levels of services running despite both having publicised staff shortages, because staff of all grades are putting in the effort to make sure everything can work as @GBM mentions. Just compare that across in Devon where a strike is planned next week at another large operator. It shows evidence keeping your staff relatively happy and they will help out as much as they possibly can.

Kieanh4

The 27 is withdrawn totally between Cornwall Services and Bodmin. The first two and last two journeys still make it to or from Cornwall Services.
How are people getting access to the new data? I can’t seem to find it on traveline

RPI

Established Member
Surely @On the Buses you just go to the magic driver tree in the yard, the one next to the magic bus plant and just pick a few of each? ;)

On the Buses

Do you know what routes they are being tested on, thanks for the information.
Not the answer to your question, but I’m not micro managing their allocation. Our Head of Network manages Truro College demand and supply and will determine the allocation.

greengrey

Do you know what routes they are being tested on, thanks for the information.
Walking back up from St Ives towards Carbis Bay this morning 38201 passed me at the Cornish Arms going down towards St Ives. I presume it was route testing and it was going to be turned at the Malakov, because I can't believe it would have gone on and got round library corner, but who knows.

Lizard1324

Walking back up from St Ives towards Carbis Bay this morning 38201 passed me at the Cornish Arms going down towards St Ives. I presume it was route testing and it was going to be turned at the Malakov, because I can't believe it would have gone on and got round library corner, but who knows.
If I remember correctly, the Truro college to hayle/ St ives used to have 2 buses.
So would be suited to a e500

S.Jacket

Trident updates required please.

Have any of these been disposed off yet please,

richw

Veteran Member

33143 was seen near Birmingham on a wigleys truck today. 33182 went on monday, seen near okehampton behind wigleys.
Ive seen 33072 and one of the double door examples today still with us.

vla50

33143 was seen near Birmingham on a wigleys truck today. 33182 went on monday, seen near okehampton behind wigleys.
Ive seen 33072 and one of the double door examples today still with us.
Is 33072 going to scrap if you don't mind me asking?

Whiteway215

Established Member

33172 33181 appeared in the First fleet changes list for August as being disposed of.

33172 was at Wigleys yard on 31 August. It is likely 33182 also went to Wigley but not confirmed.

Vamooz 33176 was at Camborne late September but disappeared after Wigley had brought in an E500 from Aberdeen.
So it is LIKELY the Wigleys towing vehicle departed north with 33176 (Thanks to 83G/84D for that info.)

fgwrich

Established Member
33172 33181 appeared in the First fleet changes list for August as being disposed of.

33172 was at Wigleys yard on 31 August. It is likely 33182 also went to Wigley but not confirmed.

Vamooz 33176 was at Camborne late September but disappeared after Wigley had brought in an E500 from Aberdeen.
So it is LIKELY the Wigleys towing vehicle departed north with 33176 (Thanks to 83G/84D for that info.)
I did a Flickr search for Trevor Wigley & Son - I'm not sure if this is an ex Kernow example on the move in August?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There was a Solo on the 18 yesterday 16.35 into Penzance that was standing room only: I'd imagine it got a bit cosy by the time it left the bus station on the 17!