• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Kernow Dave

Good evening to you all, I wonder if anyone could tell me the identity of the driver training bus in Helston today.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Unsure if link works but just come up re new Mousehole Solo open back. View attachment 113517View attachment 113518
From Marc Huw's via Twitter .
Good luck with keeping the seagulls out of that, especially at Mousehole terminus. Still, the Bird Hospital is only a short hop away on Raginnis Hill if required! I've taken a few injured gulls there myself over the years. Unattended buses in Penzance Bus Station might also find unwanted attention to the seat and floor coverings.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Good luck with keeping the seagulls out of that, especially at Mousehole terminus. Still, the Bird Hospital is only a short hop away on Raginnis Hill if required! I've taken a few injured gulls there myself over the years. Unattended buses in Penzance Bus Station might also find unwanted attention to the seat and floor coverings.
But surely the same could be said of the open toppers, or buses left on the layover bays with the doors open.

MB162435

Established Member
Gemini 2 37795 entered service yesterday, making it's debut on the 12:00 Circular Service seen here at St Ives

Attachments

• IMG20220427125608.jpg
    IMG20220427125608.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 64

TechDan2002

Noted on an enthusiast group Trident President 33235, the final closed top President in First South West, has finally bowed out.

richw

Veteran Member
Former Kernow Marshall Dart 41490 is reportedly in Summercourt Travel’s yard. Unsure where it’s appeared from.

Bazer

Former Kernow Marshall Dart 41490 is reportedly in Summercourt Travel’s yard. Unsure where it’s appeared from.

Last saw it in Winkleigh when dropping off 33113, at the time it was looking in a bit of a state with windows missing and tarpaulin over the rear of it.

83G/84D

Established Member
Both of the Lizard branded open top Tridents were seen in Camborne a short time ago. I don’t know if they were planned or unplanned visits!

B7RLE

Both of the Lizard branded open top Tridents were seen in Camborne a short time ago. I don’t know if they were planned or unplanned visits!
They get refuelled there daily as Helston no longer fuels on site. Both were out today; one on the L1 and the other on the L5.

83G/84D

Established Member
They get refuelled there daily as Helston no longer fuels on site. Both were out today; one on the L1 and the other on the L5.

Ah right I was not aware that fuelling no longer takes place at Helston.

Thanks for the response, certainly it explains why they are in and out of Camborne so often.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
But surely the same could be said of the open toppers, or buses left on the layover bays with the doors open.
Ever had a seagull get inside your house through an open door and then panic, even though the door remained open? Two minutes later, any number of glasses, mugs etc smashed and poo everywhere in kitchen and bathroom. then you've got to try and catch the damned thing without getting attacked. An open top bus is just akin to people on the street in a seagull's eyes. Buses on layover usually have doors closed unless a driver is inside and, in any case, it would seem to me to be a much less desirable target shapewise to a seagull than a paneless window. We shall no doubt see!

83G/84D

Established Member
Better to use the term ‘gull’ as there isn’t a bird called a seagull. Gulls are gulls of some description but not seagulls. Most common species is Herring Gull of course but numerous other species exist and behaviour is different/ better!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Better to use the term ‘gull’ as there isn’t a bird called a seagull. Gulls are gulls of some description but not seagulls. Most common species is Herring Gull of course but numerous other species exist and behaviour is different/ better!
I have to wield the off-topic hammer here, but this is a subject that is definitely worthy of discussion if you'd care to start a thread in General Discussion! :)

Ancelljb

dayTripper appears to be making a return from the 29th May (source for all this is bustimes.org, link here).

All registrations for the D routes have been amended, either cancelled or variations registered with the simplified routes running as follows (all running Monday to Friday):
  • D1: Newquay - the Eden Project (one return journey daily)
  • D2: Perranporth - the Eden Project (one return journey daily)
  • D3: Fowey - the Eden Project (two return journeys daily)
  • D4: Looe - the Eden Project (one return journey)
  • D5: the Eden Project - Lanhydrock (one return journey, n.b. morning journey out of the Eden Project, not to it like the others)
These may change as timetables are not yet on traveline, just bustimes, and obviously no official announcement from First, so we will have to wait and see.

Ancelljb

vla50

speculation on my part but could a 21 DD conversion see off the 21A?

To provide some more info, Marc has said that 10 '58 plate excel E400s will be joining Buses of Somerset, in addition to the Geminis from Glasgow. This will lead to the withdrawal of the ALX400s, Lolynes, darts, L94UB Solars and the B7RLEs. The 3 Solo SRs will return to Cornwall and some streetlites may be withdrawn.
Are some of the Streetlites leased?

Ancelljb

How many of the originally converted 2017 B7TL/President Coasters are still active now?
I'm not sure which ones were converted in 2017, but all 9 open top presidents presidents previously allocated to the Atlantic/Land's End Coaster are still active on the Land's End Coaster until the new open top B9s are ready for service (as well as the Falmouth Coaster B7 acquired last year as the single open top alx400). None of these are due to leave the fleet with 3 heading to the Sunseeker routes, and the rest as sales points.

Are some of the Streetlites leased?
I'm not sure, I don't think so but may be wrong. Tweet here is from Marc re the streetlites, no specifics so will just have to wait and see.

Some Streetlites too

vla50

I'm not sure which ones were converted in 2017, but all 9 open top presidents presidents previously allocated to the Atlantic/Land's End Coaster are still active on the Land's End Coaster until the new open top B9s are ready for service (as well as the Falmouth Coaster B7 acquired last year as the single open top alx400). None of these are due to leave the fleet with 3 heading to the Sunseeker routes, and the rest as sales points.

I thought 5 were heading over, 3 for the replacement of the southern section of the Atlantic Coaster & 2 to operate the local services out of Newquay which was what the lolynes were intended for? (Unless the latter plan was abandoned)

I also believe that the sales points are to be made up by the sounds of previous tweets of T509/510SSG, T819/820RFG & OIG1794, with 32102-104/179/32200/02/05/08-11 moving to either Sunseekers or general spares?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Two of the B9s are in service.

stevenedin

I'm not sure, I don't think so but may be wrong. Tweet here is from Marc re the streetlites, no specifics so will just have to wait and see.
Would the StreetLites not just get cascaded elsewhere in the network?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
To provide some more info, Marc has said that 10 '58 plate excel E400s will be joining Buses of Somerset, in addition to the Geminis from Glasgow. This will lead to the withdrawal of the ALX400s, Lolynes, darts, L94UB Solars and the B7RLEs. The 3 Solo SRs will return to Cornwall and some streetlites may be withdrawn.
The tweet didn't mention Solos or Streetlites; is that info from another source?

IIRC, the Streetlites arrived from Mistral; some had been working with Webberbus but some additional ones (and e200s) were obtained when they went pop in May 2016. They could still be leased but it could easily have been purchased.

Incidentally, of the 10 Streetlites, four are employed on the Taunton Park and Ride. Seem to recall that the new tender did provide for new fleet at some point. I know that many enthusiasts get bent out of shape about Streetlites, and they are clearly built to a budget. However, recall travelling on the ex Bicester Village one and it really was fine.

matt_splat

I'd guess deckers on some routes will reduce the need for college duplicates during term time which reduced PVR and also driver requirements.

Are the 08 plates getting a refurb? The last one I travelled on was in a absolute mess.

Last edited by a moderator: