• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

83G/84D

Established Member
A rumour was heard a while back that it is to be transferred to First Hampshire and Dorset.

I recall something similar as well.

Have just experienced the exmoor coaster today. I travelled to Taunton for the 28 to Watchet in time for the 09.55 coaster to Lynmouth. Unfortunately single decker 44639 arrived and the driver advised that 2 of the open toppers would not start, and they hoped to get one running later. On arrival at Minehead 37058 pulled up behind in lands end livery and we were all advised to change buses. I had originally planned to spend an hour in Lynmouth and travel back on the 1230 to Watchet, but as there was only one open topper running, and I was advised that some of the coaster journeys had been cancelled, I got straight back on and returned to minehead for the 28 to Taunton.

Sorry to hear that your day didn’t go to plan, such a shame with the lovely weather as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ancelljb

Has the Buses of Somerset open top Volvo B9TL 36100 moved on? It appears under Hampshire & Dorset on Bustimes (for what it's worth), so was just wondering if it was no longer required for the Exmoor Coaster.
It is now with First Solent at Hoeford (link here of photo) for use on the new Southsea Coaster 50 starting up this summer.

On the Buses

We’re waiting for parts on a couple of the open tops. However 33600 is on Minehead Depot so we’re all good to go for tomorrow.

Jamesbus80

A rumour was heard a while back that it is to be transferred to First Hampshire and Dorset.
36100 has turned up at Hoeford depot today and is being prepared to operate the new Portsmouth seafront service 50.

Registration (appreciate this isn’t VOSA) - links on the First Solent Facebook page too.

There’s a photo of it on First Hants, Dorset & Berkshire enthusiasts at Hoeford as shared previously in this thread.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Have just experienced the Exmoor Coaster today. I travelled to Taunton for the 28 to Watchet in time for the 09.55 coaster to Lynmouth. Unfortunately single decker 44639 arrived and the driver advised that 2 of the open toppers would not start, and they hoped to get one running later. On arrival at Minehead 37058 pulled up behind in lands end livery and we were all advised to change buses. I had originally planned to spend an hour in Lynmouth and travel back on the 1230 to Watchet, but as there was only one open topper running, and I was advised that some of the coaster journeys had been cancelled, I got straight back on and returned to Minehead for the 28 to Taunton.
So only one open topper out of four available!

On the Buses

I assume Porlock and Countisbury Hills combined with heavy loading take their toll on the vehicles.
They’re maintained preventatively for the routes they’re operating. Yesterday from the 6 open tops / sides was a wheel bearing, a starter motor, suspension failing, overheat. It happens. If we could plan when buses would fail live would be much easier. It’s just coincidence.

Ryan H

Is 33600 out on the Exmoor Coaster today it says that 66847 is so will 33600 replace 66847 when it gets back to Minehead

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Anyone wanting an almost guaranteed open top ride could do worse than aim for Penzance and catch a number 19 - can't remember the last time I saw any other vehicle on the service, and I live mere yards from its route! Not an exciting ride, but there's a great view of St Michaels Mount and Mounts Bay from Madron.

83G/84D

Established Member
I have noticed that Lizard open top 33085 has vanished from bustimes.
I think it’s the one that I saw in Camborne yesterday, wondering what has happened to it?

Andyh82

Established Member
I have noticed that Lizard open top 33085 has vanished from bustimes.
I think it’s the one that I saw in Camborne yesterday, wondering what has happened to it?
BusTimes says it’s been withdrawn for scrap

Summers510

END OF SERVICE NOTICE - DISCOVER EXETER - From Monday 11th July 2022
Due to ongoing staff shortage and sickness
from 11/07/2022 the Discover Exeter service will finish operating for the remainder of the season.

Don't anyone make a special trip to catch it!

embers25

Established Member
All Day trippers are suspended from 11 July too but cant find link, I think due to Thai Twitter issues, sorry

Andyh82

Established Member
All Day trippers are suspended from 11 July too but cant find link, I think due to Thai Twitter issues, sorry
Although they were operating in the shadows up to now. Not included in any of the First Kernow or TFC printed publicity for the summer

Is 33600 still expected to move to Cornwall
It has been on the Cornwall fleet since last year, it is just on loan to Somerset as they are a few open tops short.

37388 and 37396 arrived Wednesday evening, although 37388 has had problems already, being unable to move from its current position due to electrical gremlins apparently

Last edited: