• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
More likely the six Streetdecks at Bath will transfer to Weston where there will be an increased PVR.
Also got to remember that there are additional workings with the 522 and an expanded 172 to accommodate. The 522 could be run from a Bristol depot (perhaps unlikely) and they have other frequency increases in Bristol to resource for.

stait.john

Also got to remember that there are additional workings with the 522 and an expanded 172 to accommodate. The 522 could be run from a Bristol depot (perhaps unlikely) and they have other frequency increases in Bristol to resource for.
There is nothing oting spare at West of England at present, as the PVR is going up at all depots. The only loss is the 47/91/902/904. Increases outweigh the losses.

B9s are going up in numbers at WoE actually as 37359, 37387, 37682 here now from York and others due from Glasgow shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Callum15632

There is nothing oting spare at West of England at present, as the PVR is going up at all depots. The only loss is the 47/91/902/904. Increases outweigh the losses.

B9s are going up in numbers at WoE actually as 37359, 37387, 37682 here now from York and others due from Glasgow shortly.
Which depots are 37359/37387/37682 at? And which depot are the Glasgow B9s going to?

Goldfish62

Established Member
The latest set of annual accounts for the year ending March 2022 are now online:

In a nutshell the previous year's pre-tax profit of £5.5m (18%) has been wiped out and the company has only just broken even. That's also with the help of £9.5m emergency government Covid grant.

And all that took place before the impact of high inflation and rising staff and energy costs.

Hopefully that gives some context to why services are being cut and summer enhancements being delayed. The company cannot afford to be carrying around fresh air anymore.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
An unidentified open topper was on the 19 this afternoon. I don't recollect ever having seen one on it before.

GBM

Saw a full yellow open topper on a low loader around 9am today. Westbound on the A30 at Zelah.
An out of service (hazard lights on) outside Marks & Spencer Hayle early afternoon.

RELL6L

What's the story with the Quantock Line E300s for the 28? I think there were originally 10 of them, there's only 6 now and only 2 of them out in service today. They aren't that old! Surely more suitable than E200s and Streetlites?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
What's the story with the Quantock Line E300s for the 28? I think there were originally 10 of them, there's only 6 now and only 2 of them out in service today. They aren't that old! Surely more suitable than E200s and Streetlites?
The 28 is a punishing route and those e300s are now 12 years old. Looks like there's some long term VORs and don't know if they're major unit failures. Historically, it was one of the better routes and even got new Darts in Cawlett days though I remember travelling on a very ropey ex Eastern National Tiger. It could probably do with an upgrade - something like e200mmc from Glasgow to displace the successor e200mmcs from Glasgow Airport that ended up at Swansea.

67707 was a fire victim, 67703/5 have gone to Leicester (because of their large luggage racks from their Glasgow Airport days). Don't know about 67708 - accident or fire?

richw

Veteran Member
Saw a full yellow open topper on a low loader around 9am today. Westbound on the A30 at Zelah.
An out of service (hazard lights on) outside Marks & Spencer Hayle early afternoon.
I passed it at Stowford Cross about 0700 on my dead run to okehampton. That’ll be the third new yellow B9TL open top.

Russel

There was a couple out on Saturday, they looked in quite a poor state.

Ryan H

The 28 is a punishing route and those e300s are now 12 years old. Looks like there's some long term VORs and don't know if they're major unit failures. Historically, it was one of the better routes and even got new Darts in Cawlett days though I remember travelling on a very ropey ex Eastern National Tiger. It could probably do with an upgrade - something like e200mmc from Glasgow to displace the successor e200mmcs from Glasgow Airport that ended up at Swansea.

67707 was a fire victim, 67703/5 have gone to Leicester (because of their large luggage racks from their Glasgow Airport days). Don't know about 67708 - accident or fire?
67708 was on fire in Minehead last year.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Anyone know if the L1 this year is returning as a open top route or sticking to closed top buses?
It's only operating at school times - see website

From Sunday 2 April, the L1 and L2 will continue to provide links between The Lizard, Helston and Truro College. Buses will run to a revised timetable with fewer buses running on The Lizard, timed to serve the needs of the college. We are withdrawing the L3 and L5.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Anyone know if the L1 this year is returning as a open top route or sticking to closed top buses?
The Lizard is dead. It's been removed from the Adventures by Bus website.

Just looking at the state of play on Bustimes today, being the first day of the new Cornwall timetables. The Cornwall open top services status was as follows:

Land's End Coaster : 2 x B9TL, 2 x Presidents
Falmouth Coaster: E400 MMC
Sunseeker: Solo SR
Tin Coaster: 2 x Tinner MMC

So just 4 open toppers out of an expected 8.

I'm also surprised the Presidents have been relicensed. Surely there are plenty of B9TLs and E400s to go around.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member

Just looking at the state of play on Bustimes today, being the first day of the new Cornwall timetables. The Cornwall open top services status was as follows:

I'm also surprised the Presidents have been relicensed. Surely there are plenty of B9TLs and E400s to go around.

There were several E400’s in Camborne late last week receiving attention. Two had defect stickers on the windscreens.

f23

6 of the presidents are due to transfer to Wessex this year (according to their fleet manager)

Last edited: