• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

83G/84D

Established Member
I’m sure there must be a couple of Bristol LHSs that could be used or an Albion Nimbus?
There might be a Bristol LH. The ex Harvey’s and Halifax Nimbus is not roadworthy and awaiting restoration according to the owner who I spoke to over the weekend.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
There might be a Bristol LH. The ex Harvey’s and Halifax Nimbus is not roadworthy and awaiting restoration according to the owner who I spoke to over the weekend.
The Nimbus is indeed in the process of restoration.

LHSs 1560 and 1255 are both regular visitors to Mousehole each April at the running days, as is SUS 603. LHS1557, MB811 357 and MB709 are all less regular visitors.

So plenty available. :D

(For those just joining this thread I am of course not being serious and advocating this...)

Busaholic

Veteran Member

LHSs 1560 and 1255 are both regular visitors to Mousehole each April at the running days, as is SUS 603. LHS1557, MB811 357 and MB709 are all less regular visitors.

(For those just joining this thread I am of course not being serious and advocating this...)
Got to be better than 'No Bus Available', speaking even as someone who probably couldn't manage the steps, so I would advocate it in extremis.

What could otherwise be done to get buses to Mousehole harbour? The Fire Service don't have special fire engines, presumably, or have to run their hoses from the Coastguard.

Last edited:

KendalKing

Established Member

Unfortunately, my planned holiday in Penzance back in April (for the running day), had to be cancelled. Going to try to make it, next year.

83G/84D

Established Member

Truronian Coaches have put out on Facebook that they are expecting some new additions to the fleet.

More soon.

Anyone know what vehicles are actually running on the Dartmoor Explorer right now?
Definitely not 53826 which has been withdrawn after an argument with a wall at Mousehole so a ticket machine swap. Other than that no idea, sorry!

83G/84D

Established Member
Truronian have added four 21 plate Mercedes Benz Tourismo’s to its fleet with a fifth to follow. It looks like they have come from SPS (Somerset Passenger Solutions) now part of First South West of course.

LAIRA

53251 working from the Plymouth end when it runs.
53251 ran this morning and 5 people left Plymouth 16 was reached at Yelverton until Two Bridges. 4 transfering at Moretonhampstead with 14 coming off the Exeter bus, which was 47414.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Truronian have added four 21 plate Mercedes Benz Tourismo’s to its fleet with a fifth to follow. It looks like they have come from SPS (Somerset Passenger Solutions) now part of First South West of course.
Seen that. Anyone know if they're for Cornwall or Somerset, or both?

83G/84D

Established Member
Two of the Sprinters are branded at Camborne. From photos I have received it’s just a little underwhelming to be honest with small Mousehole stickers applied along with equally small Cornwall by Kernow /Transport for Cornwall stickers and fleet numbers in white.
At least they look ready but I haven’t heard when they will enter service.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Two of the Sprinters are branded at Camborne. From photos I have received it’s just a little underwhelming to be honest with small Mousehole stickers applied along with equally small Cornwall by Kernow /Transport for Cornwall stickers and fleet numbers in white.
At least they look ready but I haven’t heard when they will enter service.
I shall miss the pink and grey livery. Despite the pink fading very quickly it was a recognisable brand.

83G/84D

Established Member
I shall miss the pink and grey livery. Despite the pink fading very quickly it was a recognisable brand.
Yes agree with you. I went to the launch event at Heartlands when it was unveiled along with the generic green and Atlantic Coaster ‘56’.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Has the last one disappeared now? I bumped into my 'last local in Mousehole' acquaintance this afternoon and she just automatically walks up to the Coastguard now. She claims everyone hates the Promenade routeing, bar the tourists of course.

henryb

S
53251 working from the Plymouth end when i
53251 working from the Plymouth end when it runs.
Seems like the 1600 from Exeter isn’t running today,
53251 ran this morning and 5 people left Plymouth 16 was reached at Yelverton until Two Bridges. 4 transfering at Moretonhampstead with 14 coming off the Exeter bus, which was 47414.
fairly good loadings though

richw

Veteran Member
Seems like the 1600 from Exeter isn’t running today,
Broke down in Exeter. Once rectified it looks to have ran back to Plymouth very late with passengers in service via a38. Hopefully nobody waiting on the moors for it, potentially stranded

Goldfish62

Established Member
Has the last one disappeared now?
Looks like it. Just 53701 (green) left on the road now although that disappeared during yesterday morning so presumably broken down yet again.

The routing via the Prom is a waste of time, but I understand why it's been done. It's the only way to use 3 buses to provide a 4bph service, which is needed with the lower capacity Sprinters.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Looks like it. Just 53701 (green) left on the road now although that disappeared during yesterday morning so presumably broken down yet again.

The routing via the Prom is a waste of time, but I understand why it's been done. It's the only way to use 3 buses to provide a 4bph service, which is needed with the lower capacity Sprinters.
What's the betting that it'll have to return to a 3 bph one routeing service? Actually, what is the best theoretical service with 3 buses, regardless of clockface timings? 17/18 minute interval? I'd back that, given my acquaintance was telling me of 2 minutes between buses at the Newlyn/Mousehole end on occasion, followed by a long gap. The current clockface timings are fiction anyway.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
With the tight running times I assume it’s a case of once late they just drive the Route and never catch up to timetable?
I've no insider information, but what you assume sounds reasonable to me.

Goldfish62

Established Member
With the tight running times I assume it’s a case of once late they just drive the Route and never catch up to timetable?
Yes. That's exactly what happens and was entirely predictable.

If everything ran the same route it would allow a late running journey to be curtailed in order to get back on time, but doing so with the current service pattern risks large waits for some passengers.

Only way to mitigate is to have a 4th spare bus at Penzance bus station to slot into service with a relief driver, with the late runner then becoming the spare. That would require a degree of proactive service control though.

What's the betting that it'll have to return to a 3 bph one routeing service? Actually, what is the best theoretical service with 3 buses, regardless of clockface timings? 17/18 minute interval? I'd back that, given my acquaintance was telling me of 2 minutes between buses at the Newlyn/Mousehole end on occasion, followed by a long gap. The current clockface timings are fiction anyway.
A few months ago I waited 45 min then two buses arrived at Mousehole at once. The third bus had broken down at Newlyn and the other two were running together.

Last edited by a moderator:

richw

Veteran Member
Only way to mitigate is to have a 4th spare bus at Penzance bus station to slot into service with a relief driver, with the late runner then becoming the spare. That would require a degree of proactive service control though.
This works particularly well when the drivers are due to change over. New driver takes spare bus on time. This happens regularly at Stagecoach in Plymouth.

LAIRA

Broke down in Exeter. Once rectified it looks to have ran back to Plymouth very late with passengers in service via a38. Hopefully nobody waiting on the moors for it, potentially stranded
53863 working the Dart today

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Sitting in my car at West Cornwall Hospital, Penzance and saw three buses in one minute going to the bus station, in order a 17, a 19 and a 16 (the latter run by Go Cornwall). This struck me as a bad example of scheduling, given these are the three regular routes in the area and another bus, a 17. would not arrive for another half hour before the procession was repeated in yet another half hour. Given the Tin Coaster (ex-18) has been withdrawn from the immediate area, but the 17 and 19 are both run by First, one asks 'is this so unavoidable?' I'm always seeing it in the daytime with these two routes, so nothing's running early or late there. Of course, when the 17 goes to every 45 minutes, at least every other bus won't coincide, but that's making the most of a bad situation. i might even have a go at writing my first bus schedule in over fifty years if I was given sufficient background information.:lol: