• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

richw

Veteran Member
Surely if the trees were only bad on that small section - or just believed to be from what you say re the Stagecoach 1 having no issues - then First could have just run via Tavistock as last year (which is also a pleasant destination for a day trip from the Exeter end after taking in the scenic delights of the moors)?
Tavistock was dropped as it didn’t fit in a 1 driver 1 bus diagram from either end. It was also a good source of passengers. Although the driver I was talking to earlier said it’s much busier this summer than previous summers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
It's probably now illegal to say that some bus drivers are better at driving than others.
No it's not. :D

I have to say the drivers in Cornwall are generally very good, but then they have to be.

There are some horrors to be found elsewhere.

GBM

No it's not. :D

I have to say the drivers in Cornwall are generally very good, but then they have to be.

There are some horrors to be found elsewhere.
As a First driver, yes, some a better than others.
We are all taught to a high standard, but thereafter...........

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I can confirm a Sprinter in service, seen joining a long line of virtually stationary traffic on the Promenade near Jubilee Pool, attempting to reach the bus station, I only saw it momentarily, but the livery was bright, the destination box tiny and, as for vinyls, I didn't notice any. Didn't catch the identity of the bus in question, but did notice a lesser-spotted passenger or two. :smile:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I can confirm a Sprinter in service, seen joining a long line of virtually stationary traffic on the Promenade near Jubilee Pool, attempting to reach the bus station, I only saw it momentarily, but the livery was bright, the destination box tiny and, as for vinyls, I didn't notice any. Didn't catch the identity of the bus in question, but did notice a lesser-spotted passenger or two. :smile:
There were two in service today, both fully vinyled (the branding is very low key). The green and cream one , and the dark pink and cream one.

Destination only on the displays, no route name or differentiation of route via Promenade or Alverton.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There were two in service today, both fully vinyled (the branding is very low key). The green and cream one , and the dark pink and cream one.

Destination only on the displays, no route name or differentiation of route via Promenade or Alverton.
Must have been the green and cream one I saw - even with my colour blindness there's no way it was pink!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Assuming Bustimes is correct there are no fewer than 3 closed toppers on the Land's End Coaster today of the 8 buses required. Clearly a shortage of serviceable open toppers (of which there comfortably sufficient numbers in the fleet).

The orange and cream Sprinter remains elusive, having not entered service yet.

83G/84D

Established Member
Assuming Bustimes is correct there are no fewer than 3 closed toppers on the Land's End Coaster today of the 8 buses required. Clearly a shortage of serviceable open toppers (of which there comfortably sufficient numbers in the fleet).

The orange and cream Sprinter remains elusive, having not entered service yet.
I noticed this earlier in the week. There was a Solo SR on the 19/ Tin Coaster one day and the Sunseeker never ran until the afternoon.
All 3 remaining open top Presidents have been out of service for a while which isn’t helping matters.

The cream and orange Sprinter is still in Camborne.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I was thwarted yesterday in trying to get a prolonged close-up view of a Sprinter. I was in my car when I saw one coming down Market Jew Street, but after I got round to the bus station entrance, it never appeared. It must have disappeared along Chyandour to the depot (it was nearly 6 pm).

Goldfish62

Established Member
From a private Facebook group, E500 38201 has transferred to Ensignbus (the operator not the dealer) with others (all?) to follow.

Peter Philips

From a private Facebook group, E500 38201 has transferred to Ensignbus (the operator not the dealer) with others (all?) to follow.
Have Truro College loadings decreased making them no longer required (I believe one used to regularly also appear on a morning peak 91 into Truro from Newquay)?

Volvodart

Established Member
If they are like the Aberdeen ones, one of the reasons will be difficulty getting parts for them, having to spend a long time out of service waiting for them.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Time for the Mousehole to become two separate routes, the M1 and M6, say, the M1 using the Promenade routeing, the M6 the traditional Alverton one. It would have no effect on operation of the route or even the general marketing of the route(s). Buses have to change their blinds at both termini anyway and it would both reduce confusion among the public and the hassle for drivers fielding questions as to the particular routeing of each trip. It would even decrease the clogging up of traffic behind the Penzance bound bus at Newlyn Bridge bus stop. Those tiny, inadequate blind boxes might need replacing, though, which shouldn't be beyond the wit of First.

Andyh82

Established Member
Time for the Mousehole to become two separate routes, the M1 and M6, say, the M1 using the Promenade routeing, the M6 the traditional Alverton one. It would have no effect on operation of the route or even the general marketing of the route(s). Buses have to change their blinds at both termini anyway and it would both reduce confusion among the public and the hassle for drivers fielding questions as to the particular routeing of each trip. It would even decrease the clogging up of traffic behind the Penzance bound bus at Newlyn Bridge bus stop. Those tiny, inadequate blind boxes might need replacing, though, which shouldn't be beyond the wit of First.
I’d personally call the Promenade routing the M6x, as it’s kind of an express version of the normal M6

Rapidash

I went on the Dartmoor Explorer a fortnight ago. Bus from Exeter was fine, but the bus up from Plymouth hadn't been loaded up with fuel so a Truronian coach was sent in its stead to meet us at Moretonhampstead, which then got as far as Yelverton where it was declared unfit to continue as the door was no longer closing from the inside. The few passengers aboard were then advised to jump on the 1 that had just turned up behind us to finish the trip into Plymouth.

I felt sorry for the driver - he was due down at the Eden Project shortly afterwards. I doubt they were on time.....

At least it turned up. the one and only time I tried the same with the Exmoor explorer, it was over an hour late and rendered my onward journey useless.

C'est la vie!

Last edited by a moderator:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I’d personally call the Promenade routing the M6x, as it’s kind of an express version of the normal M6
I think that would only confuse matters, plus bring the 'express' concept into disrepute on many occasions. The Ross Bridge takes no prisoners.:smile:

83G/84D

Established Member
Just a point from my brief observations of the Sprinters in service is that they only display a destination on the front display and nothing else.
There’s a small display on the back which I think was showing ‘THE MOUSEHOLE’.

embers25

Established Member
On the subject of the Dartmoor Explorer did the Exeter bus run today just with no tracking?
From what I could tell, the Plymouth Solo ran to Moretonhampstead and back but no clue if the Exeter bus ran to meet it. I decided to not risk it and took the 1 and X38 back.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Apologies if I've missed any links, but is anyone able to provide or send a link to any images of the new Sprinters?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Certainly agree that differentiation of the routings is required. Pretty nuts that it's not already.

Travel Cornwall and OTS have the same buses and have no problems utilising the blind displays fully.

B7RLE

Also agree on the Mousehole but it Might take a while :rolleyes: as The "Sunseeker " is still showing S2 they haven't bothered to update that one & up until Term time ended the L1 was still saying Truro as its destination , there was suggestion to for the Short U4 to be a U4A as its Different to the Falmouth U4 in that does not serve Helston Tesco ( the 2nd main stop in the town ) it goes Praa sands but not Goldstifney.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Also agree on the Mousehole but it Might take a while :rolleyes: as The "Sunseeker " is still showing S2 they haven't bothered to update that one & up until Term time ended the L1 was still saying Truro as its destination.
It just gives the impression, rightly or wrongly, that no one cares or no one has responsibility for what should be routine operational issues.

richw

Veteran Member
Apologies if I've missed any links, but is anyone able to provide or send a link to any images of the new Sprinters?
There are a number of decent photos in the Facebook group ‘Cornwall by kernow enthusiast’
This is a link to the Facebook group. It is a closed private group so you’d need to join the group to view content.

fgwrich

Established Member
It just gives the impression, rightly or wrongly, that no one cares or no one has responsibility for what should be routine operational issues.
I do get the feeling that since changes to background management at First Bus, and the amalgamation of the management teams into much larger regional set ups, First South West does seem to be on the decline again. The innovation and flare Marc Morgan Huws & Alex Carter bought seems to be fading, vehicles turning up and running in all sorts of colours, Sprinters finally turning up with non-working destination screens etc, as you point out its starting to seem like a lack of care and attention is creeping in.

Last edited:

embers25

Established Member
I do get the feeling that since changes to background management at First Bus, and the amalgamation of the management teams into much larger regional set ups, First South West does seem to be on the decline again. The innovation and flare Marc Morgan Huws & Alex Carter bought seems to be fading, vehicles turning up and running in all sorts of colours, Sprinters finally turning up with non-working destination screens etc, as you point out its starting to seem like a lack of care and attention is creeping in.
10am Dartmoor ran today. Ridiculous that they still can't add Plymouth to the BoS destination and that the only clue is a tiny piece of paper at the very bottom of the windscreen

-Colly405-

Certainly agree that differentiation of the routings is required. Pretty nuts that it's not already.

Travel Cornwall and OTS have the same buses and have no problems utilising the blind displays fully.
Seems to be becoming more of a thing - variations not distiguished in route numbering to "keep it simple" - on the Isle of Wight, there are alternate journey variations of the 1, 7 and 9 with the only distinction being the via "blind". Or full circulars having no distinction in which way they are going other than by checking the destination or via - Kernow's LAND being one, but also Centrebus 40 in Leicester to name just two.

Back in the '80s there was one journey on the 45 in Plymouth that served Mainstone, and the drivers often put up (unofficially, I think) 45M...

Oh for the days of a route number variation for every journey variation!