• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South Yorkshire: General Discussion

ElBoiii

I can't seem to find a topic specifically about general First South Yorkshire things, so I've decided to start one. If one already exists, let me know.

A number of SK63 plated Streetlites have moved into South Yorkshire from the defunct City Red operation in Southampton. Does anyone know what these are for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JD2168

They are replacing native 13/63 plate versions which have been withdrawn. Three of them are for Doncaster. The ones at Sheffield are set for repaint.

Pit_buzzer

I'm interested to see what livery the Southampton Streetlites end up in, urban, as adopted in Manchester or the slightly half hearted application of sheffield blue

MCSHF007

Are the original OG 13/63 plate Streetlites in such a bad state that withdrawal is justified given that their replacements are of basically similar vintage? Sheffield hills?

ElBoiii

I'm interested to see what livery the Southampton Streetlites end up in, urban, as adopted in Manchester or the slightly half hearted application of sheffield blue
Presumably the new Sheffield livery, putting them in Urban would make it confusing

Last edited:

baza585

Are the original OG 13/63 plate Streetlites in such a bad state that withdrawal is justified given that their replacements are of basically similar vintage? Sheffield hills?
They may not be Euro 6, which the City Red ones are?

tbtc

Veteran Member
I know that First were going to use the Streetlites to augment a local fleet somewhere or other but to to drive them all the way up here to replace buses that are barely any older surprised me…

…maybe a ten year old bus that’s schlepped up and down Sheffield’s hills has had a tougher life than one used to local routes in Southampton though?

From looking at Bustimes they seem to be on the 75/76 a fair bit, which is the kind of cross-city route that I’d hope was double decker operated (but has had plenty of “native” Streetlites over the years)

Five years since the last new buses in the fleet? (The 18-plate Streetlites/ Streetdecks for the 1A/56)

JD2168

Former demonstrator 63039 had to go back to WrightBus last year for structural repairs. They are also probably more knackered than the Southampton ones due to Sheffield’s hills.

They may not be Euro 6, which the City Red ones are?
All vehicles at Olive Grove are Euro 6, non Euro 6 buses left in use at FSY are at Doncaster, hence the 2 E400s there.

Pit_buzzer

Withdrawn from First South Yorkshire or withdrawn for scrap. Can't be the latter surely, 9 1/2 to 10 year old vehicles can't have fully deprecated yet surely
Now that First owns the Ensign bus dealer organisation I can see these becoming modern euro 6 compliant stock for resale.

M803UYA

Now that first own the Ensign bus dealer organisation I can see these becoming modern euro 6 compliant stock for resale
But by the same token, there are plenty of First UK bus fleets operating older Volvo B7RLEs, ADL Enviro 200/300s than these 10 year old vehicles. They represent a modern upgrade for other operating companies. First has historically under invested in the fleet so there is a backlog of fleet replacement. Those Streetlites could transfer to Somerset to replace 2009 Enviro 200s or 2010 Enviro 300s. They could be transferred to Potteries to replace older single deckers. Other companies are running Volvo B7RLEs from 2007 onwards - those have higher fuel consumption. They would be of interest in the secondhand market due to their capacity and the fact they're PSVAR compliant so are useable on schools contracts.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Just a thought...

I'm sure that I've seen mentioned that some of the e300s (13 plate), and the four e350Hs in Essex, are leased and are due for return. Might it be that some of the Sheffield Streetlites are similarly leased? Remember that, at that period, there was a mad dash to get an underinvested and aging First fleet updated with PSVAR looming and a constraint on available capital.

As I say, just a thought

M803UYA

Just a thought...

I'm sure that I've seen mentioned that some of the e300s (13 plate), and the four e350Hs in Essex, are leased and are due for return. Might it be that some of the Sheffield Streetlites are similarly leased? Remember that, at that period, there was a mad dash to get an underinvested and aging First fleet updated with PSVAR looming and a constraint on available capital.

As I say, just a thought
Hadn't considered they'd be leased. Buying them outright is an option open to First, though. They'd find ready homes within the group. I wouldn't say 'willing'....... :D

ElBoiii

Hadn't considered they'd be leased. Buying them outright is an option open to First, though. They'd find ready homes within the group. I wouldn't say 'willing'....... :D
With some of their E400s going to Doncaster because of the CAZ (clean air zone), they'd need some buses to fill the gap created by the cascade so leasing wouldn't really be an option in the long term (until when if we ever get new buses o_O)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pit_buzzer

With some of their E400s going to Doncaster because of the CAZ (clean air zone), they'd need some buses to fill the gap created by the cascade so leasing wouldn't really be an option in the long term (until when if we ever get new buses o_O)
Only 2 E400s have gone to Doncaster, exchanged for 2 B9TLs which had recently arrived from Manchester.

The remaining E400s at Sheffield are all clean air zone compliant

cnjb8

Established Member
But by the same token, there are plenty of First UK bus fleets operating older Volvo B7RLEs, ADL Enviro 200/300s than these 10 year old vehicles. They represent a modern upgrade for other operating companies. First has historically under invested in the fleet so there is a backlog of fleet replacement. Those Streetlites could transfer to Somerset to replace 2009 Enviro 200s or 2010 Enviro 300s. They could be transferred to Potteries to replace older single deckers. Other companies are running Volvo B7RLEs from 2007 onwards - those have higher fuel consumption. They would be of interest in the secondhand market due to their capacity and the fact they're PSVAR compliant so are useable on schools contracts.
Remember there are over 200 electric single decks on order for First across the UK

AY1975

Established Member
I've noticed that some First South Yorkshire buses (and some Stagecoach buses in South Yorkshire too) have now had Ticketer signing-off machines installed by the entrance. They appear to be ready to use, and have presumably been installed in readiness for the introduction of pay-as-you-go contactless payment, but I haven't seen any publicity about it yet.

Some single deckers have had them in situ for a while, but I've also seen them on some double deckers recently.

Does anyone know if a date has been set or pencilled in for the system to go live, whether it will apply on trams or only on buses, and whether there will also be pay-as-you-go smartcards or just contactless payment cards and devices?

ElBoiii

I've noticed that some First South Yorkshire buses (and some Stagecoach buses in South Yorkshire too) have now had Ticketer signing-off machines installed by the entrance. They appear to be ready to use, and have presumably been installed in readiness for the introduction of pay-as-you-go contactless payment, but I haven't seen any publicity about it yet.

Some single deckers have had them in situ for a while, but I've also seen them on some double deckers recently.

Does anyone know if a date has been set or pencilled in for the system to go live, whether it will apply on trams or only on buses, and whether there will also be pay-as-you-go smartcards or just contactless payment cards and devices?
According to their official website, there will be a tap-on-tap-off system from Spring
(Source: https://www.firstbus.co.uk/sheffiel...h-yorkshire-announce-investment-new-ticketing)

First South Yorkshire announce investment in new ticketing technology to simplify travel and defer planned January fares change
  • New Tap-on, Tap-off ticketing technology to simplify payment now being fitted across the South Yorkshire fleet.
  • Fare changes deferred from January in bid to boost travel in cost-of-living crisis.
First South Yorkshire today announced an investment in new ticketing technology to help simplify how customers pay for travel. Fitting of tap-off readers across the fleet is now underway and will enable the bus operator to introduce a Tap-On Tap-Off system from this Spring.

In a second boost for customers, First South Yorkshire has also announced that they will not be changing their commercial fares in January despite facing increasing costs and will instead review the position again in March.

The Tap-On Tap-Off contactless system guarantees customers ultimate flexibility on the fare paid.

It charges for a single journey and customers who make several bus trips will pay a capped adult daily or weekly price depending upon how often they travel. Customers simply use their contactless card or mobile at the ticket machine next to the driver but then ‘tap’ again on the new special card reader device when leaving the bus.

Existing options to pay for travel such as using cash or TravelMaster smartcards remain unchanged.

First South Yorkshire is working closely with the Mayor and the SY Mayoral Combined Authority, local councillors, and bus users to meet the aspirations set out through the Enhanced Partnership to deliver more reliable services, improved bus priority measures and to introduce fare initiatives such as the government funded £2 Adult flat fare offering that is running presently.

Ian Humphreys, Managing Director at First South Yorkshire said; -

“This investment of over £300k in Tap-on Tap-Off technology is another important step in simplifying journeys and will pave the way to an all-operator integrated system in the future”

“In support of the Enhanced Partnership’s objectives, and recognising the present cost of living crisis, I can also confirm we will not be changing our commercial fares in January. Like many businesses, we are experiencing a significant increase in costs which we will continue to absorb for as long as we can although we will need to review the situation again towards the end of March”.

Ian Humphreys added, “We have also been actively recruiting more drivers who have joined our team, and we are now in a more stable position to deliver improved reliability and punctuality across our service network.

“It is crucial, that for us to improve bus provision across the South Yorkshire region, we need to work together in partnership. We can then aspire to see better services, more demand and confidence returning from people wanting to use buses as their preferred method of travel”.

Oliver Coppard, South Yorkshire’s Mayor said: “Fixing the public transport system means investing in the network and buses whilst simplifying the tickets and fares for passengers. I’m pleased to see this investment being announced today by First South Yorkshire and the approach being shown on their commercial ticket prices.

“The bus network across South Yorkshire needs this type of investment to improve the offer to customers before prices change”

JD2168

As far as I know, unfortunately, there are no plans for orders for South Yorkshire yet
Only electric buses due for South Yorkshire are for Stagecoach Rawmarsh depot for use on 22x Rotherham to Barnsley & 221 Rotherham to Doncaster.

Pit_buzzer

Could that be 37238-37245 returning home, they were new to Doncaster as part of the A638 bus priority scheme

TC60054

The YN08s are staying put in Glasgow. I understand the B9TLs we're receiving from them are "refurbished" in some way - the Northern Irish registration ones would seem to fit.

ElBoiii

The YN08s are staying put in Glasgow. I understand the B9TLs we're receiving from them are "refurbished" in some way - the Northern Irish registration ones would seem to fit.
As stated above, 4 of the Northern Irish plated ones (37541-4) have transferred already, according to Bustimes they have USB power

AY1975

Established Member

ElBoiii

Not sure if it'll only be on First buses or across all operators (or at least Stagecoach) in South Yorkshire. I seem to remember seeing those signing-off machines on some Stagecoach buses as well. Obviously if it's First only then that will limit its usefulness.
Well why would they add them to Stagecoach buses as well just for them to only work with First? :frown:

3 of those B9TLs which transferred from Glasgow have been debranded and are now in plain Urban Blue Front, the one in frontless Urban remains unchanged
(Source: https://bustimes.org/operators/first-south-yorkshire/vehicles#fgla-37541)

Last edited: