• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First time FIP travel in Belgium

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFN

Hi all,

I’ve finally gotten my FIP card and I’m looking to use it to travel from Brussel Midi/Zuid to Antwerpen Centraal and back on the same day.

Am I right in thinking that I can go to the NMBS ticket office at Midi and get a discounted ticket showing my FIP card and passport? Also how long of a queue is it usually as I have a 22 min connection from my arrival from Eurostar to the NMBS train to Antwerp.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dutchflyer

Established Member
No railstaff myself, but on normal weekdays there are 4-5 trains/hr BRU-Antw, so no worry bout that. Do NOT take the Omnibus=all stops though.
Its very hard to predict how long Qs are, as it all varies an enormous lot on day and time of. Plus there are on busier times well over 10 windows in use. A specific Belgian feature is the use of the language, but assume all will even speak basic /en/. Plus that hardly any normal domestic pax buys tickets from windows-its all via machine or prepaid etc.
1/hr one can also take the AMSterdam bound BeNeLux train-though this one makes a short detour going via the airport. This one will stop at the very lowest level of the multi levelled and famous for its architecture Antw Centraal Station

If you’ve yet to get your Eurostar ticket you can buy a ticket from London to any Belgian station.

Unfortunately no bookings available to Any Belgian Station with FIP. So the booking office it is. You just need to show your FIP card, passport not normally needed. And you are eligible for a 75% reduction of course.

Belgium is a very easy country to travel in and there is lots to see and do. You should find that FIP is recognised by practically alll NMBS/SNCB staff. Most speak excellent English if you have any queries.

jamieP

Unfortunately no bookings available to Any Belgian Station with FIP. So the booking office it is. You just need to show your FIP card, passport not normally needed. And you are eligible for a 75% reduction of course.

Belgium is a very easy country to travel in and there is lots to see and do. You should find that FIP is recognised by practically alll NMBS/SNCB staff. Most speak excellent English if you have any queries.

Did not know that. Seems odd but never tried to be honest.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Unfortunately no bookings available to Any Belgian Station with FIP.

No that is not correct - there is an "Any Belgian station" FIP option available. Current prices are £46.50 single and £93 return in Standard and £70.50 single and £141 return in Standard Premier if you have first class facilities. The fares are of course slightly dearer than a ticket just to / from Brussels Midi.

Source : https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/images/RST/RST_Eurostar_FIP_Fares_Sep_2023_v19.pdf

Whisky Papa

No that is not correct - there is an "Any Belgian station" FIP option available. Current prices are £46.50 single and £93 return in Standard and £70.50 single and £141 return in Standard Premier if you have first class facilities. The fares are of course slightly dearer than a ticket just to / from Brussels Midi.

Source : https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/images/RST/RST_Eurostar_FIP_Fares_Sep_2023_v19.pdf
Interesting - I booked a first class single for my wife and I in 2010 as part of a silver wedding celebration (actually Paris rather than Brussels) on a "normal" FIP. I booked over the phone from the old DB sales office as I usually did, and I don't recall being asked if I had first class entitlement, nor was there a problem in using the tickets on the day. Did I commit a faux-pas or is this something that has changed since then?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Interesting - I booked a first class single for my wife and I in 2010 as part of a silver wedding celebration (actually Paris rather than Brussels) on a "normal" FIP. I booked over the phone from the old DB sales office as I usually did, and I don't recall being asked if I had first class entitlement, nor was there a problem in using the tickets on the day. Did I commit a faux-pas or is this something that has changed since then?

Not sure what the rules were in 2010 but certainly now you need 1st class facilities for travel in Standard Premier. However that's probably for discussion in a new thread.

bkhtele

Can you not apply for free belgium staff coupons from staff travel using the form on the web site?

Mawkie

Not sure what the rules were in 2010 but certainly now you need 1st class facilities for travel in Standard Premier. However that's probably for discussion in a new thread.
It's interesting that there are such significant differences between FIP and TfL - I have access to both.

TfL allow both Standard and Standard Premier purchases, and up to 5 other people on the same booking (who don't need any kind of pass at all). Only available online.

FIP is slightly more expensive, but allows changes of bookings, whereas TfL are non-refundable, non-changeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.