• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First train to Corwen for 50 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I was lucky enough to have been invited to travel on the first steam train Llangollen to Corwen for 50 years yesterday, it left Llangollen a 11am arriving Corwen East station 40 minutes later.

Top and tailed between Carrog and Corwen with six mark1 carriages,an exciting day, the first public service left Llangollen at 3,10pm costing £25 return with memorabilia. Wonderful experience.

Bob

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
It is good to see that this has finally occurred. What were the loadings like?

The first of three trains 11a.m and 1pm were for invited guests,volunteers,members of associated Societies,my ticket represented Chester/Wrexham rail users, both trains were full.
The third train was for the paying public, in essence this was the fare paying train which departed at 3.10pm from Llangollen.There was a queue at the booking office.
Everyone had a commemorative ticket and letter from the Chairman, she traveled on the first two trains, I thanked her for the invite.
Seeing the Dee Valley following the River all the way was wonderful, and that smell of steam in the carriages,plus steam heated carriages.

Links here for pictures http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/watch-steam-trains-run-llangollen-7980412

http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/139777/pure-joy-on-line-that-came-back-to-life.aspx

headshot119

Established Member
It was a shame I couldn't get time away from uni to take part in the opening day. Though my claim to fame is signalling the first Llangollen - Corwen East train as part of a gauging run earlier this year.

If anyone wishes to try out the new stretch of track, normal services commence running over the new section on Monday the 27th of October.

davetheguard

Established Member
Great news that the line through to Corwen is now open.

Can someone who knows the area better than me, comment on whether this is likely to remain the terminus, or if there are still plans to open a station closer to the centre of Corwen? Just how far out is the present station by the way?

steamybrian

Established Member
The permanent terminus station at Corwen nearer the town centre is under construction or should I say preliminary work and site clearance has started. The permanent station is a few hundred yards west of the temporary station which is about 10 minutes walk from the car park in the town centre.
(Although I live in Kent I was a working member of the Llangollen Railway).

merlodlliw

Established Member
Great news that the line through to Corwen is now open.

Can someone who knows the area better than me, comment on whether this is likely to remain the terminus, or if there are still plans to open a station closer to the centre of Corwen? Just how far out is the present station by the way?

The Chairman, who I understand drove the first DMU to Corwen East,told me,we must now continue to Corwen Town, has the impetus is with us, she was a really happy bunny.
The old joint station at Corwen, which served Ruabon/Rhyl via vale of Clwyd is now owned by Ifor Williams trailers has their showroom, Ifor Williams is another success story, the largest manufacturer of Horse and Livestock trailers in Europe and the largest private employer in Denbighshire,a befitting Company to take over the Station.

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
The old joint station at Corwen, which served Ruabon/Rhyl via vale of Clwyd is now owned by Ifor Williams trailers has their showroom, Ifor Williams is another success story, the largest manufacturer of Horse and Livestock trailers in Europe and the largest private employer in Denbighshire,a befitting Company to take over the Station.

Indeed, and anyone who drives regularly around North and Mid Wales as I used to do will dislike Ifor Williams trailers intensely! Nothing worse than seeing one loom up in front when you're in a hurry!
Corwen station does bring back a childhood memory though, calling in on a drive up the A5 to Pwllheli in my father's old car in the early 1960's, I remember a 'Refreshment Room' where my father said a very decent cup of tea could be had. However...am I mistaken, anyone? Did Corwen have a buffet? Or was my father recalling something from many years earlier?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Great I can definitely pay a visit to the line soon now :D
Indeed. We will definitely be planning a forum meet to travel on this line, probably in the Spring. We'll post in the Forum Meets section nearer the time.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Corwen station does bring back a childhood memory though, calling in on a drive up the A5 to Pwllheli in my father's old car in the early 1960's, I remember a 'Refreshment Room' where my father said a very decent cup of tea could be had. However...am I mistaken, anyone? Did Corwen have a buffet? Or was my father recalling something from many years earlier?

You were indeed fortunate with your visit then, as the original Corwen station was closed on 14th December 1964.

The facilities that were built with the station were:-
Booking office
Parcels room
General waiting room
Ladies waiting room
Refreshment room

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
You were indeed fortunate with your visit then, as the original Corwen station was closed on 14th December 1964.

The facilities that were built with the station were:-
Booking office
Parcels room
General waiting room
Ladies waiting room
Refreshment room

Hmm.... thanks for that information, Paul ....in that case our visit must have been the Summer of 1964, as we had travelled up by train for the previous few years! I shall have to find an old notebook! I wonder if the Refreshment Room was still open then? I hope it was, otherwise a memory that is recalled every time I drive past the old station will no longer be accurate!

Squaddie

The number of Ifor Williams trailers I see while out walking in Switzerland is quite extraordinary. I had no idea it was such an export success.

Dawg

Pardon my ignorance about the Llangollen railway's expansion obstacles, but what's stopping them heading East from Llangollen and connecting to the main line?

Pipe dream, but it'd be nice to see it expand out to Bala...

steamybrian

Established Member
Pardon my ignorance about the Llangollen railway's expansion obstacles, but what's stopping them heading East from Llangollen and connecting to the main line?

....The first obstacle will be cash. How much will it cost?????

headshot119

Established Member

A large block of flats built on / close to the track bed just outside of Llangollen station.

And a missing bridge in Acrefair.

Last edited:

gazthomas

Established Member
I think the biggest issue killing expansion of this and any preserved railway beyond cash is the light railway order (or whatever it is called these days) that limits operations to 25 mph. Imagine Llangollen to Blaenau Ffestiniog at that speed which would be much less given station/water/looping stops. Look how long the trip from Caernarfon to Blaenau Ffestiniog takes, albeit narrow gauge!

duffield

Established Member
I think the biggest issue killing expansion of this and any preserved railway beyond cash is the light railway order (or whatever it is called these days) that limits operations to 25 mph...

Based on various other threads on this and other forums, this does not seem to be a 'hard' limit - e.g. WSR was cleared for passenger DMU running up to 40mph although that has never been implemented.

It looks like above 40mph is where the full national rail type standards kick in legally.

Above 25 but not above 40mph you would need an appropriate safety case - and you might need AWS and/or some form of door locking, but this is not *necessarily* compulsory.
I'm pretty sure that if you needed (say) 30 mph running to achieve (e.g.) an hourly service pattern with one set and your infrastructure (signalling etc.) was designed for at least that speed, you could get agreement and in that case it might be worthwhile.

(Note that the above is a summary I've constructed from my interpretation of various sources and those with more knowledge please correct it if it's wrong!)

alexl92

Established Member
Based on various other threads on this and other forums, this does not seem to be a 'hard' limit - e.g. WSR was cleared for passenger DMU running up to 40mph although that has never been implemented.

It looks like above 40mph is where the full national rail type standards kick in legally.

Above 25 but not above 40mph you would need an appropriate safety case - and you might need AWS and/or some form of door locking, but this is not *necessarily* compulsory.
I'm pretty sure that if you needed (say) 30 mph running to achieve (e.g.) an hourly service pattern with one set and your infrastructure (signalling etc.) was designed for at least that speed, you could get agreement and in that case it might be worthwhile.

(Note that the above is a summary I've constructed from my interpretation of various sources and those with more knowledge please correct it if it's wrong!)

My understanding is that the speed limit is to do with the stock used - because the doors of the Mk1s/MK2s can't be centrally locked, they're limited to 25mph unless there is a member of crew in every carriage. I might be wrong though because the GCR had to get permission to run 76084 at 60mph as part of its mainline certification.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Status
Not open for further replies.