• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First trip to Milan, and I'm well confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi all,

As some of you will already be aware, I've got a day trip to Milan coming up in less than 2 weeks, a short-notice addition to the next instalment of Tech's World Frenzy (the first instalment was the Norway trip back in March 2017), and I'm getting a bit confused by the transport authority's website.

First of all, like in Prague, the system in Milan requires purchase of a luggage ticket on single journey tickets. Understandable enough, what with the space that gets taken up by cases etc. Now while I've found the fare that works for me, a 24 hour pass for €4,50 I'm slightly confused as to whether I need a luggage ticket or not. It seems not to be the case, as in Prague, but I'm really not sure. I don't intend to use my case much on Metro anyway, as I hope to be able to get it dropped off at my hotel pretty sharpish after arriving in Milan as I'm not there for long.

If anyone can confirm one way or another, that would be excellent.

It also appears on one page that you have to stamp your ticket each and every time you interchange lines. Now for me that's going to be a lot of times, although that was on the 'extra-urban' page. The 'Urban' page suggests no such thing. That is the fare I'll be getting, the 24 hour Urban ticket. Now it is not 100% clear on this question either:

Would such a ticket be valid on trams, Metro and buses? It suggests it's valid on all ATM stuff around Milan, but having not yet checked the trams and buses for who operates them (I bet I'm going to look silly in a minute...) then I'm not sure if I do need multiple tickets, or what it's valid on.

For point of reference, this is the website I'm using:

https://www.atm.it/en/ViaggiaConNoi/Biglietti/Pages/Biglietti Urbani.aspx

Finally for now, this is the map found on the 'Network Map' page:

https://www.atm.it/en/ViaggiaConNoi/PublishingImages/schema_rete_metro.jpg

On which there is a shaded area which shows the limit of the Urban fare, and part of the Metro is outside of this area. So to do the whole lot, it would appear an 'Extra-Urban' ticket is required. To be honest I doubt very much I'll get the lot done in the time I'm there anyway, but the option still exists. For which areas, including a significant amount of the green Metro line, a day ticket doesn't exist. All of the purple and yellow lines are included in the Urban ticket, so I do intend to clear those.

For those wondering, I've already got my transfers to/from the airport sorted via easyBus. Very reasonably priced at €5 each way.

Anyone with any knowledge on Milan will be most appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

axlecounter

Regarding luggage, it is probably easier if you tell us what is the maximum size of your luggage.
The urban ticket lets you travel on metro, tram, buses and the S trains of the passante, within the urban limits.
You have to pass the magnetic ticket every time you enter or leave the metro, but nothing more than that. There are means (I guess some trams?) where the magnetic thing isn't there, in that case only you can stamp your ticket (only once) in the standard machines.
To exit the urban limits there are specific tickets to extend the validity of your daily pass. See https://www.atm.it/en/ViaggiaConNoi/Biglietti/Pages/Biglietticumulativi.aspx

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Many thanks for the swift reply!

My case is a 4 wheeler 28" case, if that helps.

Sounds logical with the ticketing, that does ease the concerns about travel around the city!

axlecounter

Oh come on, the metric system is in use in Italy!:D

If 28'' means 71cm then it appears (if I understood it correctly) that you should buy a luggage ticket for the metro (free for luggage under 50cm and forbidden for luggage with any side > 90cm).

Honestly, I personally wouldn't bother buying a luggage ticket (for a normal, standard suitcase) as I highly doubt that anybody working down there has ever read their extremely complicated luggage rules and enforces them.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Axlecounter, we're stubborn in the UK and we don't like metric much! The label on my case says 28" and I'm assuming that it's measured by height.

Hornet, thanks for the tip there. I'll have a look into that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.