• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LeylandLynx

It was stated before a B9 is a B9.
Not really as they're in various states. Some are equipped with information boards and even USB power. Some ex-Glasgow ones in particular have had a heavy refurb, 37540 I think is the only such one in Bristol so far. Passengers may not notice minor aesthetic differences, but they definitely notice what state the bus is in.

Markk1990

Not really as they're in various states. Some are equipped with information boards and even USB power. Some ex-Glasgow ones in particular have had a heavy refurb, 37540 I think is the only such one in Bristol so far. Passengers may not notice minor aesthetic differences, but they definitely notice what state the bus is in.
I don’t disagree but it was stated before that the pool of B9’s was interchangeable and no specific “batch” was allocated to a set of services minus branding.

Callum15632

Anybody know which B9s will be used for the 73? Will it be natives or more ex-Glasgow ones (or from somewhere else)?
I believe that the 70 and 73 will be using the ex 11 Leicester Streetdecks that are transferring/have transferred to Hengrove (Noted so far are 35175/76/77). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

LeylandLynx

I don’t disagree but it was stated before that the pool of B9’s was interchangeable and no specific “batch” was allocated to a set of services minus branding.
But I think the 70 and 73 come September will need clear, distinct branding and information boards, or else there's going to be a lot of confusion and very angry passengers.
I believe that the 70 and 73 will be using the ex 11 Leicester Streetdecks that are transferring/have transferred to Hengrove (Noted so far are 35175/76/77). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
That's true but so far 11 is not enough to cover the 70/74 and 73 combined PVR, assuming that the native Hengrove Streetdecks move to Weston. However, more than 11 might be coming. Someone said they wouldn't be surprised if all the Leicester SK16 Streetdecks ended up in Bristol.

-Colly405-

But I think the 70 and 73 come September will need clear, distinct branding and information boards, or else there's going to be a lot of confusion and very angry passengers.
But will they? Surely all they need is the correct displays front and rear like any other route? Many vehicles on them at the moment don't have branding, and we are very used to the wrong branding appearing (better the wrong bus than no bus..). As long as they don't have the wrong branding, like every vehicle on the Stagecoach 9, then I reckon thats fine.

LeylandLynx

But will they? Surely all they need is the correct displays front and rear like any other route? Many vehicles on them at the moment don't have branding, and we are very used to the wrong branding appearing (better the wrong bus than no bus..). As long as they don't have the wrong branding, like every vehicle on the Stagecoach 9, then I reckon thats fine.
Yes but there are some major, major changes. Many people will wonder where the 92 went and where this 'new' 73 bus goes. I remember the fiasco when First scrapped the 20 and introduced the 50/51, and people got mad that the 51 didn't go through Windways anymore (some of them only found out when the bus didn't go the direction they expected!).

Also, this new 73 might be the longest route in Bristol. All the places it visits needs to be made clear.

Last edited:

Martin2012

Its been really encouraging to see deckers being used on the 36 on a more regular basis in recent weeks although not exclusively. Some days it will be fully worked with deckers, others a mixture of deckers and Streetlites and other days solely Streetlites.

What is the likelihood of this route continuing to get deckers after the upcoming service changes?

Callum15632

Its been really encouraging to see deckers being used on the 36 on a more regular basis in recent weeks although not exclusively. Some days it will be fully worked with deckers, others a mixture of deckers and Streetlites and other days solely Streetlites.

What is the likelihood of this route continuing to get deckers after the upcoming service changes?
Is the service busy when it is Streetlite operated? Are deckers the best option for the route if it is busy?

stait.john

I believe most of the Streetlites are leaving Lawrence Hill (x8 going to Weston-super-Mare again!) so B9s on 36 should become the norm I think.

I’d imagine Hengrove will use the 11 Leicester Streetdecks and the 9 native ones they have on the new 70/73 with any spare on the 74? That’s my guess.

A number of B9s will transfer LH-HG too for September, and not sure what we are having from FSW yet for Wells/Weston.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeylandLynx

I’d imagine Hengrove will use the 11 Leicester Streetdecks and the 9 native ones they have on the new 70/73 with any spare on the 74? That’s my guess.
That makes more sense. I was under the impression the remaining Streetdecks were moving to Weston, but then they'd just be replacing Streetdecks with Streetdecks.

Can the Streetdecks cope with such long routes though?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
That makes more sense. I was under the impression the remaining Streetdecks were moving to Weston, but then they'd just be replacing Streetdecks with Streetdecks.

Can the Streetdecks cope with such long routes though?
The length of the route isn't really an issue; it's more the nature of the service. Streetdecks are fine on urban work (for which they're designed) but certainly the earlier ones were not a success on the punishing 376 with its high speed running and brutal hills.

-Colly405-

Yes but there are some major, major changes. Many people will wonder where the 92 went and where this 'new' 73 bus goes. I remember the fiasco when First scrapped the 20 and introduced the 50/51, and people got mad that the 51 didn't go through Windways anymore (some of them only found out when the bus didn't go the direction they expected!).

Also, this new 73 might be the longest route in Bristol. All the places it visits needs to be made clear.
I just compared its length to the 75 and 76 - the 75 is approx 16.4 miles on the journeys that extend to Hengrove Depot. The new 73 is 16.5 miles on the journeys that extend to Aztec West. But the Cribbs journeys on the 76 are 17.1 miles, so that trumps them :)

Perhaps the people of that part of south Bristol are so used to their route numbers changing that they won't notice! 25, 20, 50, 92, 73...

LeylandLynx

I just compared its length to the 75 and 76 - the 75 is approx 16.4 miles on the journeys that extend to Hengrove Depot. The new 73 is 16.5 miles on the journeys that extend to Aztec West. But the Cribbs journeys on the 76 are 17.1 miles, so that trumps them :)

Perhaps the people of that part of south Bristol are so used to their route numbers changing that they won't notice! 25, 20, 50, 92, 73...
I think the 73 may have more stops though.

Callum15632

I believe most of the Streetlites are leaving LH (x8 going to WM again!) so B9s on 36 should become the norm I think.

A number of B9s will transfer LH-HG too for September, and not sure what we are having from FSW yet for Wells/Weston.
Do you know what will happen to 39464-39466 and 39468-39471?

stait.john

Do you know what will happen to 39464-39466 and 39468-39471?
Initially the citylines|73 branding will be removed, I’d imagine longer term they’ll get a repaint, but into what? There are rumours about a new national corporate livery abounding but I’m not certain!

I wonder how the repairs to 39469 are coming along?

Callum15632

Initially the citylines|73 branding will be removed, I’d imagine longer term they’ll get a repaint, but into what? There are rumours about a new national corporate livery abounding but I’m not certain!

I wonder how the repairs to 39469 are coming along?
Okay I also heard that 37387 MX58 DWW, 37682 YJ09 FVO and 37685 YJ09 FVF are all going to Wells. Is this true? Slightly off topic but do you know who was driving Badgerline 35678 today at Imberbus at 11:00 from Warminster? Also who else went to Imberbus today?

Last edited:

CD

Okay I also heard that 37387 MX58 DWW, 37682 YJ09 FVO and 37685 YJ09 FVF are all going to Wells. Is this true? Slightly off topic but do you know who was driving Badgerline 35678 today at Imberbus at 11:00 from Warminster? Also who else went to Imberbus today?
37685 is in Wells depot today.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
There is 2 of them on the 1 today. 33480 did a peak working earlier and 33973 is due to stay on all day.
33480 is now on 48/49 but if you look at what they've been doing, they have done quite a bit on the 17/349/522 boards. Arguably, popping them on 48/49 makes sense with their blue fronts :D

Does seem a bit odd that they had been busy repainting them into Campus livery before sending them to Bristol!

Callum15632

35175 is the first of the ex Leicester Streetdecks to enter service at Hengrove
Yep! Noticed it this morning on bustimes. Not saw it yet though. Could it be on the 75 tomorrow or 76 as I am going on them routes tomorrow as I live fairly local to those routes?

33480 is now on 48/49 but if you look at what they've been doing, they have done quite a bit on the 17/349/522 boards. Arguably, popping them on 48/49 makes sense with their blue fronts :D

Does seem a bit odd that they had been busy repainting them into Campus livery before sending them to Bristol!
33487 also out on a peak afternoon/evening working board on 2/2a this afternoon/evening. 2 13:57 to Stockwood, 2a 16:07 to Filton, 2a 17:40 to Stockwood, 2 19:29 to Cribbs Causeway. etc. Apparently there is a coach on the 2 but I actually believe it is 33925. I am currently on 33956 just came in not in service and came round to stand H and set the blind for the 2. Update: The coach is actually 33925 I just saw it so it was a ticket machine swap.

Last edited:

LeylandLynx

Is a 30 min frequency really enough for the new 73? It might be okay during the day off-peak, but don't forget that it has to carry both existing 73 and 92 passengers, and there'll be an overlap between them from Temple Meads to the Haymarket. And then there's the new passengers that want to travel cross-city on top of that.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Is a 30 min frequency really enough for the new 73? It might be okay during the day off-peak, but don't forget that it has to carry both existing 73 and 92 passengers, and there'll be an overlap between them from Temple Meads to the Haymarket. And then there's the new passengers that want to travel cross-city on top of that.
Good question, and the answer, possibly is No. At its pre Metro bus height, it was, I think at one point, every 12 mins, although has mostly been every 15. It only takes sever congestion in either the northern or souther extreme and you have no service for an hour.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Good question, and the answer, possibly is No. At its pre Metro bus height, it was, I think at one point, every 12 mins, although has mostly been every 15. It only takes sever congestion in either the northern or souther extreme and you have no service for an hour.
And that's the problem with running them across the city!

LeylandLynx

Hundreds of passengers use the 92 every day and will be moving to the extended 73, which will connect the Wells Road with Gloucester Road. Think we're going to need some more Streetdecks from Leicester.