• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

DaveHarries

Established Member
Given how much money the Combined Authority and it's constituent members are wasting on the 10/11/12/13 services, there ought to be some way of getting an Avonmouth - Cribbs link out of them.
The problems with the 13 are not only the circuitous nature of the route but the lack of frequency to attract usage. IMO the previous arrangement from First Bristol (Services 20 & 22) was better.

But what could these mysterious 15 rumored vehicles from First West Yorkshire be?
Ones displaced by the new electrics in Leeds?

Dave

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stait.john

The problems with the 13 are not only the circuitous nature of the route but the lack of frequency to attract usage. IMO the previous arrangement from First Bristol (Services 20 & 22) was better.

Ones displaced by the new electrics in Leeds?

Dave
Yes exactly right, to come later in the year as the first lot will cascade out to FSY from Bramley.

JD2168

It has to be said that the fleet at Wells is pretty knackered now. Not surprising given the terrain and the age of the fleet.

Talking about sending B9s to Wells... well, the newest are 12 plates (and there's only 7 of those currently), and does that mean we're looking at what was a flagship route in the 376 being operated by a fleet that will have many that are more than 15 years old? That's absolutely shocking. In fact, you'll have most the Wells fleet older than the Eclipses that were new there in 2009

36241 & 36242 are based at Weston Super Mare as they are not Euro 6 so can’t enter a Clean Air Zone.

Volvodart

Established Member
First Bus invests over £50m in electric buses in the West of England

First West of England is to invest more than £50m introducing its first electric buses in the region.

The cash injection will be spent on 98 new electric buses (91 double deckers and seven single deckers), as well as revamping its depots at Weston-super-Mare and Hengrove where new infrastructure will be built to support vehicle charging.

The company’s investment will be supported with almost £9m of government funding through its Zero Emissions Bus Regional Areas (ZEBRA) project thanks to partnership work with North Somerset Council and the West of England Combined Authority.

These will be First West of England’s first electric buses, and will carry passengers on the following routes: X1 (Weston to Bristol), X4 (Portishead to Bristol), 8 (Temple Meads to Clifton via city centre), 24 (Southmead Hospital to Ashton Gate), 70 (Hengrove to UWE Frenchay via city centre), 72 (Temple Meads to UWE Frenchay), 73 (Whitchurch to Bradley Stoke via Temple Meads) and 75/76 (Hengrove to Henbury/Cribbs Causeway via city centre).

The vehicles are expected to be delivered at the end of 2025, and will be in service in early 2026.

Not only will the new buses provide a far comfier and smoother ride for passengers and be more reliable than the current diesel vehicles, but they will also reduce noise at the depots and on local roads, and, most importantly, they will significantly reduce carbon emissions, helping the bus operator to protect the local environment and clean up air quality.

Electrifying buses and depots will allow business-to-business charging for local companies, as well as bringing employment and training opportunities, including upskilling the existing engineering team, and providing apprenticeship opportunities for local people both in engineering and driving.

Doug Claringbold, First West of England Managing Director, said: “This is a real landmark moment for the West of England, as we secure our first electric buses in the region, demonstrating our ongoing commitment towards a zero-emissions bus fleet by 2035.

“We’re delighted that our customers will benefit from over £50 million that we as a company are investing in this upgrade to our buses and transforming the Weston-super-Mare and Hengrove depots, alongside the government funding. We’ve worked tirelessly with North Somerset Council and the West of England Combined Authority to get to this point, and we cannot wait to get these vehicles on the road.

“It’s an exciting time for our colleagues as we start to transform both depots, and it’s also great news for our customers who will benefit the most from these state-of-the-art vehicles, including improved air quality and a much better journey experience overall.

“We’re proud to be a leader in sustainable transport, and we’ll continue to work closely with central and local Government to deliver our decarbonisation ambitions to create a nation that loves and uses the bus.”

Callum15632

Dp you know when the ex Manchester B9s that have transferred to Bristol today (Saturday 23rd March 2024) will be out in service? Will they appear on the 2/2a?

kei.8532

DaveHarries

Established Member
Wondering if they've spent it all on the newly Enviro400 EV or the Wright GB Kite Electroliner they have in Leeds
TBH I think if they were all WRightbus it would be a bit boring - nothing wrong with a bit of variety. But if they have to be Wright then I hope for this shape - https://www.flickr.com/photos/192431505@N04/53602319752/ - rather than the other one. But I wouldn't mind some ADL ones as well which I think look quite nice.

I heard that First tried one of these - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gam-images/53549140979/ - on the X1 between Weston-s-Mare and Bristol but it didn't perform very well and so didn't stay very long.

Dave

Edvid

Established Member
I heard that First tried one of these - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gam-images/53549140979/ - on the X1 between Weston-s-Mare and Bristol but it didn't perform very well and so didn't stay very long.
It may have been that very bus (a Streetdeck Electroliner, same model as the other bus in your post), which is a demonstrator and is typically loaned to operators for 2/3 weeks each. Though open data tracking (not 100% accurate) has it doing just two days on the A1 route during its time with First WoE.

kei.8532

It may have been that very bus (a Streetdeck Electroliner, same model as the other bus in your post), which is a demonstrator and is typically loaned to operators for 2/3 weeks each. Though open data tracking (not 100% accurate) has it doing just two days on the A1 route during its time with First WoE.
Anyone remeber back in 2016ish, FWoE was doing an electric bus trial on 72 (with the E400MMC)? What happened to that? I couldn't find any resources explaining why it's discontinued, there were supposed to be 3 in London and 2 in Bristol. Are they all written off by now?

Snow1964

Established Member
Anyone remeber back in 2016ish, FWoE was doing an electric bus trial on 72 (with the E400MMC)? What happened to that? I couldn't find any resources explaining why it's discontinued, there were supposed to be 3 in London and 2 in Bristol. Are they all written off by now?
If the London trio were those with charging through an induction plate in the road, and were described as virtual electric, then no more were ordered, think UNO picked them up cheap and converted them to normal plug in electric

Yep, I remember reading an article in Buses magazine where James Freeman was interviewed and said basically they needed more development, cost about £300k each and saw Gas as a better solution at the time, hence the boat load of Scania gas buses then ordered.

Callum15632

TBH I think if they were all WRightbus it would be a bit boring - nothing wrong with a bit of variety. But if they have to be Wright then I hope for this shape - https://www.flickr.com/photos/192431505@N04/53602319752/ - rather than the other one. But I wouldn't mind some ADL ones as well which I think look quite nice.

Dave
I don't think it did the X1, It did the A1.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Yep, I remember reading an article in Buses magazine where James Freeman was interviewed and said basically they needed more development, cost about £300k each and saw Gas as a better solution at the time, hence the boat load of Scania gas buses then ordered.
First of all, those vehicles were Hybrid vehicles. IIRC, they were geofenced so that they operated as normal vehicles until they broke the fence and were all electric. I think they were charged up at Univ of West of England (UWE) off the back of 48A. However, they were very unreliable (as is the case with experimental vehicles) so they were parked up before Covid. Again, the memory is hazy but think they were loaned to Reaseheath College with whom First has a relationship - doubtless a way of writing down the depreciation over a period of time.

kei.8532

First of all, those vehicles were Hybrid vehicles. IIRC, they were geofenced so that they operated as normal vehicles until they broke the fence and were all electric. I think they were charged up at Univ of West of England (UWE) off the back of 48A. However, they were very unreliable (as is the case with experimental vehicles) so they were parked up before Covid. Again, the memory is hazy but think they were loaned to Reaseheath College with whom First has a relationship - doubtless a way of writing down the depreciation over a period of time.

According to that, the bus can only run in full electric mode for 20 minutes max, with 7 minutes charging time at UWE.
Of course with the bus scheduling, it wouldn't allow to do a full charge since it takes 1 hour to do so.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Are we talking here about 39191 and 39192?
If so they were loaned to Reaseheath College for apprentice training as The Grand Wazoo says.
However around February this year they were donated to the college and so have been disposed from the FirstBus fleet.

Private Baxter

Established Member
It has to be said that the fleet at Wells is pretty knackered now. Not surprising given the terrain and the age of the fleet.

Talking about sending B9s to Wells... well, the newest are 12 plates (and there's only 7 of those currently), and does that mean we're looking at what was a flagship route in the 376 being operated by a fleet that will have many that are more than 15 years old? That's absolutely shocking. In fact, you'll have most the Wells fleet older than the Eclipses that were new there in 2009
That's true. It doesn't seem THAT long ago that Wells had a pretty modern fleet. Grsnted the streetdecks weren't as successful as hoped but there was some pride in the whole fleet. It's starting to look a little shabby now, with the Mendip Explorer brand starting to look a little out of place.

No news about whether Wells too will benefit from electric buses, but perhaps they are holding out for something else.

DaveHarries

Established Member
No news about whether Wells too will benefit from electric buses, but perhaps they are holding out for something else.
Could be but another thought occurs to me. These newly announced electrics for Weston depot are supposed to be 24 vehicles for the X1 (Oldmixon - Weston-s-Mare - Bristol) and X4 (Bristol - Pill - Portishead) but what is the combined PVR of those routes? I wouldn't have thought 24 vehicles so if those routes don't need all 24 vehicles then I wonder whether:

a) some will find their way onto Service 7 (Haywood Village - Worle Sainsburys) in Weston
or
b) some will find their way to Wells for the 374-376.

Dave

goldisgood

Could be but another thought occurs to me. These newly announced electrics for Weston depot are supposed to be 24 vehicles for the X1 (Oldmixon - Weston-s-Mare - Bristol) and X4 (Bristol - Pill - Portishead) but what is the combined PVR of those routes? I wouldn't have thought 24 vehicles so if those routes don't need all 24 vehicles then I wonder whether:

a) some will find their way onto Service 7 (Haywood Village - Worle Sainsburys) in Weston
or
b) some will find their way to Wells for the 374-376.

Dave
Looking at the timetable, looks like around 14 buses are needed for the X1 and another 7 for the X4. Add in some spares and/or possibly an extra bus needed at peak that probably would take you to 24?
If newer buses are needed for Wells, would the newer Streetdecks be able to handle the hills? Or possibly holding out for another electric bus fund.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Looking at the timetable, looks like around 14 buses are needed for the X1 and another 7 for the X4. Add in some spares and/or possibly an extra bus needed at peak that probably would take you to 24? If newer buses are needed for Wells, would the newer Streetdecks be able to handle the hills? Or possibly holding out for another electric bus fund.
OK thanks. A planning application, ref. 2023/0586/FUL, went in to Mendip Council in April 2023 for electric charging points for Wells depot. It was approved in July 2023 and that was what made me wonder what might happen to any buses not needed for a day's work on the X1/X4.

Dave

kei.8532

Looking at the timetable, looks like around 14 buses are needed for the X1 and another 7 for the X4. Add in some spares and/or possibly an extra bus needed at peak that probably would take you to 24?
If newer buses are needed for Wells, would the newer Streetdecks be able to handle the hills? Or possibly holding out for another electric bus fund.
I suppose those electric buses aren't planed to run through the whole day of the bus schedule without charges in between, the extra ones are there to cover some trips so they won't run out of charge midway through the journey, or in case they broken down.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
That a planning application for Wells depot was put in isn't surprising. It will have to happen though clearly not in this iteration of ZEBRA, and that is extremely pertinent.

It is clear that any "spare" electric vehicles aren't going to be spirited to the 376 (and variants) from Weston. How are they going to be charged without the infrastructure that is clearly going into Weston? As for where the Badgerline Streetdecks may end up, no guarantee that they even stay with FWoE.

Callum15632

There wasn't any 3/4 branded Geminis out today (Sunday 31st April) and there also wasn't any 48/49 branded MMCs out? Does anyone know the reason why?

Will1am

There wasn't any 3/4 branded Geminis out today (Sunday 31st April) and there also wasn't any 48/49 branded MMCs out? Does anyone know the reason why
They were barricaded in the sheds at Lawrence Hill.

Last edited by a moderator:

father_jack

In my occasional series 37606 has just gone past Chewton Mendip towards Wells 1820 tonight Friday 5th on tow after failing at 1447 at Wells Road on a 172 earlier today..... (photo is of bustimes.org diagram)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240405_183157_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240405_183157_Chrome.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 29