• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Martin2012

Have noticed for the past couple of days that deckers have been on the 78/79 Bristol-Thornbury route.

Something I am wondering, do you think it is likely we'll see more deckers on this route now the non DDA compliant vehicles have been banished off the road?

Ended up catching the X9 to work(Tyntesfield) in both directions today and got a rear engine single decker both times. A similar type was also in use on a 46 journey out to Yate this evening.

Is there anyone who can remind me, does the X9 have to be worked by single deckers or could it be worked by a double decker if required? I understand the X8 has to be single deck operated due to a low bridge somewhere along the route but couldn't remember if that applied to the X9 too.

So far from what I've seen, the X9 hasn't come across as being that well used and I personally don't think it justifies a half hourly frequency. I can't for the life of me see why the X8 and X9 both run half hourly and the X6 only once an hour at weekends.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

THarris123

Established Member
As you were getting off 48271 at Street I was getting on 69440 375 right in front of you and "Henairs" another member of this forum was getting on 48271, so you would have passed him!
53615 also in Yeovil as 50466/67 have been withdrawn and are now in Weymouth. Although non-DDA compliant 53109-11 are still in service.
The "B10" inside Taunton depot is actually B6 48263.

Makes sense with 48263.

Shame I missed you - there were a couple of enthusiasts at Taunton bus station, but not sure whether they're on here.

Are 50466/7 non compliant?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Have noticed for the past couple of days that deckers have been on the 78/79 Bristol-Thornbury route.

Something I am wondering, do you think it is likely we'll see more deckers on this route now the non DDA compliant vehicles have been banished off the road?

Ended up catching the X9 to work(Tyntesfield) in both directions today and got a rear engine single decker both times. A similar type was also in use on a 46 journey out to Yate this evening.

Is there anyone who can remind me, does the X9 have to be worked by single deckers or could it be worked by a double decker if required? I understand the X8 has to be single deck operated due to a low bridge somewhere along the route but couldn't remember if that applied to the X9 too.

So far from what I've seen, the X9 hasn't come across as being that well used and I personally don't think it justifies a half hourly frequency. I can't for the life of me see why the X8 and X9 both run half hourly and the X6 only once an hour at weekends.

The single decks are Volvo B7L with the "toilet cubicle" for the engine. Deckers on Thornbury aren't unknown especially on Sundays and expect it more often other times. As for X6 vs X8/9 - the latter may be to do with the NSC brokered agreement with Abus and First?

carlberry

Established Member
When you say 'UK Bus' do you mean First ?.

I'm not aware that 'most major operators forbid it', why should they when it's perfectly legal ? - I would guess that there may be quite a few stretches of motorway where service buses routinely carry heavy loads.

It may be perfectly legal, however their PR office isnt ready for the number of phone calls they'd get if one of their vehicles had to do an emergency stop on a motorway (possibly caused by some numpty car driver) causing some old dear to fall over and hurt themselves. I'd be unwilling to stand on a moving vehicle on a motorway!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The 78/79 have had deckers on for a few months (not full time, just every other one or 1 out of three) from my observations.

I dont know of any restiction on the X8 or X9. Abus quite often sent deckers on the X9 peak journeys in early December. Neither route need them however.

Westnat

It may be perfectly legal, however their PR office isnt ready for the number of phone calls they'd get if one of their vehicles had to do an emergency stop on a motorway (possibly caused by some numpty car driver) causing some old dear to fall over and hurt themselves. I'd be unwilling to stand on a moving vehicle on a motorway!

The 78/79 have had deckers on for a few months (not full time, just every other one or 1 out of three) from my observations.

I dont know of any restiction on the X8 or X9. Abus quite often sent deckers on the X9 peak journeys in early December. Neither route need them however.

But you'd be happy to stand on a bus doing 60 on a dual carriageway?

DaveHarries

Established Member
I understand the X8 has to be single deck operated due to a low bridge somewhere along the route but couldn't remember if that applied to the X9 too.
The lack of double-decker working on the X8 could be down to the railway bridge between Nailsea and Backwell. If the X8 and X9 interwork that may explain the lack of deckers on the X9.

Dave

CD

Makes sense with 48263.

Shame I missed you - there were a couple of enthusiasts at Taunton bus station, but not sure whether they're on here.

Are 50466/7 non compliant?

Its been posted on First Hants & Dorset forum that they are withdrawn and now in Weymouth.

Also from the same site it seems 53109-11 are shown on the official First database as being DDA compliant although they are not fitted with side and rear displays. Oops!
Presume that is why they were all still in service yesterday,

CD

It's got a Cummins lump in it, same as in the Darts.

Has 53401 been re-engined? I thought all the ex Truronian Solos had a MB M880. The standard First specification Solos have either MB M850 or M920.

swifty

Established Member
Has 53401 been re-engined? I thought all the ex Truronian Solos had a MB M880. The standard First specification Solos have either MB M850 or M920.

I think you're possibly confused, you're quoting the length of the Solo, an M880 is 8.8m long. The First spec Solos are indeed Merc powered, the vents are on the offside, 53401 is Cummins powered and its vents are on the nearside.

You can also tell because the Cummins Solos needed an extra 0.3m of bodywork at the rear in order to fit the larger engine in.

Last edited:

CD

I think you're possibly confused, you're quoting the length of the Solo, an M880 is 8.8m long. The First spec Solos are indeed Merc powered, the vents are on the offside, 53401 is Cummins powered and its vents are on the nearside.

Of course you are right, brain disengaged!!

83G/84D

Established Member
Hi,

I'm thinking of visiting Bristol, Bath and Wells next weekend. Are the Streetdecks out on a Sunday in Bristol / Wells? Same for the (temporary cover) Volvo B7's at Bath, do they work on a Sunday?

TIA

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Most of the Truronian ones arrived with Cummins engines - 53204 should also be fitted. Radiator position is the clue.
Hi,

I'm thinking of visiting Bristol, Bath and Wells next weekend. Are the Streetdecks out on a Sunday in Bristol / Wells? Same for the (temporary cover) Volvo B7's at Bath, do they work on a Sunday?

TIA

Streetdecks are out on a Sunday.

As for the white Volvo B7s on loan, they are trickier to find on a Sunday.

vicbury

14 being operated by Streetlites and one 62-reg Enviro 200 today. A sign of things to come? Saw one Dart and 44915 on the 10.

Private Baxter

Established Member
A busy few weeks in our region, rounding off a very interesting year, so time to add my own thoughts on the year just gone, and make one or two predictions for 2016.

Focusing on the four FSA depots, what a year it's been. Two depots have seen significant improvement, one has declined, whilst another has stayed much the same, with just a couple of slight improvements. The depots in question are of course quite surprising.

Starting with Wells, what a transformation that has had! After several years of decline, it now operates seven decent services. The 376 has had an extra peak service added, whilst its Sunday service has been doubled to match the weekday service. A new sister service for the 173, which also created a half hourly link for Shepton, so whilst the 161 was cut between Shepton and Frome, they could create more with what they did have. Very pleased to see two thirds of the 126 return to the depot creating what is the only jointly run service, but think it works really well. 375/377 have stayed much the same, with a slight fleet upgrade at the end of the year. The fleet has been the biggest thing though, with the very unexpected arrival of eight streetdecks for 376. I think they are beautiful machines, and I have heard positive comments from people who normally moan about First. However, it is the 59 reg B7RLEs which are the stalwarts of Wells, and surprisingly saw the entire fleet stay with the arrival of the new deckers, and even more surprisingly was the arrival of 69457/8 within the last few days, these buses now making up exactly half the fleet. Haven't quite worked out what they are all for yet. I'm thinking 3 x 375/7, 6 x 173/4, 2 x 126, 1 x 376 or 2 spare. Also happy with the solo and 42968, not quite so keen on 60912-4, but oh well, can't have it all! Overall a very strong fleet! As for this year, I would honestly be happy if nothing changed in regards fleet and services, although would like to see a bit more painted by the end of the year!

Moving on to Weston, the depot I know least about, and have very little to do with over the years, but another that has strengthened over the last year and has streamlined its services nicely. The A2 was extended, to create new links with Bristol airport, the X6 moved to MH, then back again and the 126 decreased from WM's point of view. Not sure exactly what is operating 126 at present, but if it is B7RLEs, then WM will need something similar. Not much in fleet movement at all, but I think the two e200s that moved was a good thing, and of course 66726's repaint was the highlight. I just haven't seen it yet. Why oh why is it on the 7??!!

MH depot has stayed much the same, although a new 15 min service to Nailsea was introduced, which also allowed the old X8 to be gotten rid of, which was a good move, although it has now become part of the A2, which I approve of, but don't understand this 'one service serving two destinations'. Can anyone explain this? MH also have a pretty good fleet which has changed little over the last year, though enhanced by the arrival of around ten (?) 54/55 plate B7RLEs from Bath a couple of weeks ago. Great for Bristol, especially for the services I expect them to go on, not so great for Bath.

Speaking of Bath, traditionally one of FSA's stronger depots, this hasn't really been the case this year, with the loss of a lot of its Westbury run services, loss of fleet, and nothing much in the way of anything new. A good move though for the LH B9s to head over for X39, and some of the movements which have resulted in that, but I do feel that Bath have gone slightly backwards this year, although at least all but one of the 09 reg e200s went! I hope to see things improve slightly this year, I personally don't expect new deckers for X39 till maybe 2017, but I wouldn't be too surprised if more streetlites were destined for Bath this year. At least that would be good!

Well, I've rambled on, I may try and get a trip or two out in the next few weeks, but either way, I shall wish you all a very happy new year!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
14 being operated by Streetlites and one 62-reg Enviro 200 today. A sign of things to come? Saw one Dart and 44915 on the 10.

It'll be like Bristol 6&7 that gets an upgrade to Geminis on a Sunday. Unless the 178/379 is going back to Dart operation p:lol:

Oh, and PB, thanks for the ramble. Some interesting areas covered. For WM, I'd expect that their additional e400s will allow all of W1/X1/X5/X6 to be DD operated so B7RLEs released will see off the B10BLEs including their remaining 126 board.

Happy travelling if you do manage to get out.
I have visited Wells but not by bus, although with the Streetdecks now on the 376 I really should get a move on. I've been to Weston. My plan is to do some of the more rural Bath routes and the 376. Not sure whether I'd have the time to make it down to Taunton but I know they have a lot of Tridents and a few remaining Olympians with BoS!

Indeed so! Did we happen to get on the same journey on 32937? I was on the 1016 from Kingswood (0920 ex-Cribbs). It is a very pleasant route actually. I didn't realise quite how narrow the route gets in Cadbury Heath! The section through the top end of Newbridge is very pleasant too.

I haven't tried Boswells yet but I will do soon. I am ever so slightly obsessed with Greggs :lol:

I am hoping to relocate to Filton/Horfield in the late March time, so I hope I can meet some of you in the flesh this year! Very exciting that my new local bus route will be the 75/76!

Hi Dan - forgot to get back to you.

We didn't get the same journey so you missed out on the divine pleasure of meeting me though we did both enjoy 32937 on the 319! It's quite a nice ride out and I'm wondering with the B9s arrival if the 319 will be DD operated in future? Certainly more B7 Geminis on there now to enjoy the view from Kelston

Hope the move goes really well and that will allow you to travel down to places like Wells and Taunton but also sneak to Bath (or Yate) and then you can get a Wiltshire Day Rover which is a great all operator ticket. Trust the year and move goes well for you.

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
Apparently Bristol is getting part of the clean bus fund from 2015 (which has only just been announced) to upgrade 35 buses to SCR.

The article appears to suggest that buses are the cause of all polution but ignores diesel cars, lorries and taxis.

It also notes that buses have 'long opperational lives' however the newest ones would have cleaner engines anyway so the upgrades would only make a difference on mid life units which will have shorter lives.

I dont know if this makes the 110 gas buses less likely?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35217026

CD

Oh, and PB, thanks for the ramble. Some interesting areas covered. For WM, I'd expect that their additional e400s will allow all of W1/X1/X5/X6 to be DD operated so B7RLEs released will see off the B10BLEs including their remaining 126 board.

66936 on WM 126 on Saturday.

Marcus Fryer

Standard fayre are Darts and 42899 duly appeared. The TV screens on these seem to be u/s (another initiative left to rot?) but the NSAs worked ok.
I travelled from Bristol Parkway to Yate and return on the Tuesday before Christmas and the TV screens were working fine on both outward (42898 on the 81) and return (42896 on the 82) journeys, so either you were unlucky or I was very lucky!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I travelled from Bristol Parkway to Yate and return on the Tuesday before Christmas and the TV screens were working fine on both outward (42898 on the 81) and return (42896 on the 82) journeys, so either you were unlucky or I was very lucky!

I had 42896 about 3 weeks ago and it was intermittent - loose connection probably but 42899 was properly offline!

That said, who needs such entertainment when you've the scenic vista of Sadly to enjoy :D

swifty

Established Member
32284 and a B7RLE loanee on the 37 this evening, and a rammed B7L working the 42.