• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

freetoview33

Established Member
Has anyone been past WsM depot (or Muller Road) lately.

I wondered in view of the large number of non DDA buses in store now whether they were being collected by the scrap dealers.

Muller Road is about the same as ever (In terms of quantity of buses) was slightly fuller at the end of last year but some have gone now

1905 Group

43849 on the 1 again! And I'm fed up of the ex-Leicester ALX400s on the 3 and 4...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
42900 on the 1 as well! And 33956 (I think) has gained a dent above the door already.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
32009 was on the X7 yesterday. Don't think I've seen one of these on there since it was the 14 and jointly operated with Stagecoach!

Also, forgot to mention, Stagecoach Gold Enviro 400 15968 (YP 14 GYX) was on the Belle's Express on Monday. Was very odd seeing it pull into UWE!

THarris123

Established Member
37599 was on 70 this morning.

Either 47457 or 47440 was on 75 yesterday evening.
I was rather lucky today - E400 in the morning and evening on 76 and 75.

Don't know what it is about them, but I would say they're the best deckers around at the moment. The Geminis are 'solid' well built vehicles, but i'd still prefer a E400.

I'm also beginning to get used to the Streetdecks now. 35167 is my favourite - it seems to perform better than the rest and has a few less rattles. 35166 and 35164 seem to have the most rattles/issues. I'm still surprised by how they seem to have just as many rattles as the 05 reg Darts - and they're only 2-3 months old. Certainly not very well built and I personally think it puts Wright's reputation at risk.
33962 broken down on traffic lights at Temple Meads approach on 1 just now.

LeylandLynx

37599 was on 70 this morning.

Either 47457 or 47440 was on 75 yesterday evening.

Don't know what it is about them, but I would say they're the best deckers around at the moment. The Geminis are 'solid' well built vehicles, but i'd still prefer a E400.

I have a confession to make. I actually have never been on a E400 before. They seem to have a habit of eluding me. I guess that's because at the moment the only service I use is the 50/51, but I saw about three E400's on that service yesterday, but I wound up with 42956 and 37009. I was hoping my luck would change, but all this time of using the service, I never have been lucky enough to get a E400. I usually always end up with a B9TL (seem to be quite a few of them on the 50/51 lately). Better luck next time, huh? I was gutted to see four E400s move from Hengrove to Weston. Hope they don't all leave before I get a chance to ride on one.

Also, I haven't been on any of the Streetdecks yet, either.

CD

In other news, been reported elsewhere that First Wyvern 32854 has arrived at Taunton. A transfer there or a staging post en route to Kernow?

32854 sold for scrap and departed Taunton yesterday.

Two more B7Ls arrived back in Taunton today 60915 and another.

Olympian 34178s MOT expires Monday 1/2/16, 34176 24/8/16 but both on 54 today, likely to be their last days in service this weekend. :sad:

83G/84D

Established Member

Olympian 34178s MOT expires Monday 1/2/16, 34176 24/8/16 but both on 54 today, likely to be their last days in service this weekend. :sad:

Additionally Dart 43860 has moved on from Taunton recently and is now in service in Cornwall.

It's new look can be seen on the First Kernow thread.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Was 32854 the one that got a recon engine just before it left Worcester?

Are you sure it was 60915? That should be one of the two in Norwich. Might be 60918?

CD

Was 32854 the one that got a recon engine just before it left Worcester?

Are you sure it was 60915? That should be one of the two in Norwich. Might be 60918?

32854 did receive another engine in late November while at Wyvern. A few days later it expired on M5. Towed to Taunton depot, and I read somewhere it was awaiting another replacement engine.Presumably it was uneconomic to return it to service.
I was on 34176 passing Taunton depot at 1430, of course it was not 60915 (typo).
Been informed the 4 ex Plymouth B7Ls plus 61594 are going to Bridgwater to release some B6BLEs back to Taunton.
So B7Ls again back on 21 !!!

Whiteway215

Established Member
44915 has not been seen in Bath for a few weeks. One of the Wessex Water buses 44902/3/4 must have been out of action yesterday Friday 29th because its work was being covered by a Solo.

Whiteway215

Established Member
How long is a few weeks? I saw it on the 13 about three weels ago?

I agree with what you say-that I haven't seen it for about three weeks.
Others on the forum have expressed opinions on the mechanical condition of this batch so it could be off for maintenance I guess!

Class 33

Established Member

I'm also beginning to get used to the Streetdecks now. 35167 is my favourite - it seems to perform better than the rest and has a few less rattles. 35166 and 35164 seem to have the most rattles/issues. I'm still surprised by how they seem to have just as many rattles as the 05 reg Darts - and they're only 2-3 months old. Certainly not very well built and I personally think it puts Wright's reputation at risk.

Of the NEWER buses in use in Bristol, the E400's are my favourite buses too. Lovely buses to journey aboard. And I like the powerful sounding engine's they have.

Streetdecks are my second favourite. Nice buses!

The E400 MMC's are my third favourite. They look fantastic. Nice engine sounds. Nice buses to journey aboard. Though I don't really like it how the engine cuts off when they stop at a bus stop or traffic lights, it makes it feel as though either the bus has broken down, or stopping for a change of driver, or the driver is stopping for a few minutes due to the bus running early. I prefer to hear the engine sound of a bus continiously during a journey, not cutting out every couple of minutes! But never mind, they're still much better and a pleasant change than any of the bland Gemini's!

Have yet to get a ride on any Enviro 400 VE's, which are supposed to be going onto the 72. Wish they'd hurry up. Just one of them was in use on the 72 for just a couple of days a few weeks or so back. But none of them have been on there since!

CD

Confirmed today the other B7L that arrived in Taunton yesterday with 60918 is 60910.
60917 today on 22.
34176 on 21a.
34178 parked in depot yard, MOT expires Monday so expect it is now withdrawn.

THarris123

Established Member
So i am officially now renting out a flat in Wells - with a good view of buses going south

Obs today in Wells:
69442/3/8 174
69438/7/44 173
53401 161
69440/60913/66935 126
60912 377
Two 59 plate B7s depot
35163/5/7 376

I experienced 53401 for the first time in a while - I still think it's a bit tired and horrible and I would have preferred them to move an 05 solo to Wells. 161 is very suited to a solo (apart from school times), but the issue I have with a solo being in Wells is there's nothing else it can go on, without dropping capacity on a service - if there was a local service like the old 174 still it could be used on that.

I also experienced my first 59 plate B7 on 126 - lovely journey and just as tight as anything else in Axbridge, so no reason for them not to be on there really. I'd personally like to see a rebrand on 126 - may be something like The Gorge Explorer?
I agree with what you say-that I haven't seen it for about three weeks.
Others on the forum have expressed opinions on the mechanical condition of this batch so it could be off for maintenance I guess!

Is it in Weston maybe?

James Mills

There is a public transport meeting on Monday at Kingswood Civic Centre at 7pm. Everyone is welcome to attend. First managers and the council will be attending to answer questions on the local bus service and to ask what could be done to improve bus services. This is as a result of the East Bristol consultation recently with changes being made on the 24 April. This meeting is definitely worth coming to if anyone is able to.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I also experienced my first 59 plate B7 on 126 - lovely journey and just as tight as anything else in Axbridge, so no reason for them not to be on there really. I'd personally like to see a rebrand on 126 - may be something like The Gorge Explorer?
A rebrand of the 126 might be a good idea and The Gorge Explorer sounds like a good name for it. B7RLEs in a similar livery to the Mendip Explorer would look very nice.

Another thing, of course, is that calling a rebanded 126 "The Gorge Explorer" wouldn't sound "cheesey"..... ;)

Dave

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
A rebrand of the 126 might be a good idea and The Gorge Explorer sounds like a good name for it. B7RLEs in a similar livery to the Mendip Explorer would look very nice.

Another thing, of course, is that calling a rebanded 126 "The Gorge Explorer" wouldn't sound "cheesey"..... ;)

Dave

The Gorge Explorer isn't really appropriate as it doesn't explore the Gorge..... and it is tricky with vehicles supplied by two depots.

Perhaps a better option with greater growth potential would be to take 69441-8 and give them a refurb with NSAs, eLeather, wifi, and make the 173/4 as Mendip Explorer. Paint 7 in the blue livery (leave 69445 in Urban) and put specific route branding on 6 of them. The other is an unbranded spare to cover any errant Streetdeck on the 376.

As regards 53401, the internal condition is no worse than most of Bath's Solos and a damn sight better than some. Also, it has the Cummins engine so goes better!! However, if you perhaps want to remove it entirely, perhpas

• Send the 3 B7Ls to MH - concentrate the B7Ls in BH and MH
  • In exchange, send down 3 of the former X2/X3 Darts
  • Send 53401 and 69437-40/57/58 to BH
  • In exchange receive 69253 and 66881-6

You lose the Solo but get 4 Darts 161 and 375. Losing old B7Ls and gaining newer Darts is balanced by receiving midlife B7RLEs and losing those 59 plates - they'd perhaps be better suited to working with the Streetlite Maxes out of Westbury?
Aren't I always :)

To err is human ;)
Of the NEWER buses in use in Bristol, the E400's are my favourite buses too. Lovely buses to journey aboard. And I like the powerful sounding engine's they have.

Streetdecks are my second favourite. Nice buses!

The E400 MMC's are my third favourite. They look fantastic. Nice engine sounds. Nice buses to journey aboard. Though I don't really like it how the engine cuts off when they stop at a bus stop or traffic lights, it makes it feel as though either the bus has broken down, or stopping for a change of driver, or the driver is stopping for a few minutes due to the bus running early. I prefer to hear the engine sound of a bus continiously during a journey, not cutting out every couple of minutes! But never mind, they're still much better and a pleasant change than any of the bland Gemini's!

Have yet to get a ride on any Enviro 400 VE's, which are supposed to be going onto the 72. Wish they'd hurry up. Just one of them was in use on the 72 for just a couple of days a few weeks or so back. But none of them have been on there since!

I know it's all subjective and there's always the risk of comparing a new bus with something that's been worked hard for 7 years and I don't worry about looks and engine noises or ubiquity but purely on passenger experience (as that is what most passengers are bothered about),

A few years ago, you could compare an e400 with a B9/Wright Gemini and IMHO, the Wright was the better machine. Better designed, more robust etc. The 56 plate e400s aren't bad but some of the early bus seated ones that Stagecoach had were awful - rattles and squeaks. I remember the ones that Stagecoach had on the Swindon to Trowbridge route and being so disappointed in the build quality as the ALX400 was such a well built machine. Another consideration of comparing types is how they're specced up - some Arriva e400s....well, you could walk past them going up a hill!

I think now that has changed. The e400MMC is a very smart bus and beautifully appointed and has a really solid, well built feel to it. The Streetdeck is pleasant enough, goes well etc but I don't think it's up to the standard of the e400MMC.

Just my two penneth.

BTW I've not managed a trip on the e200mmc (though seen plenty around with Stagecoach Banbury and NXWM) so looks ok but be intrigued to know how they compare. The e200 was poor vs. the Streetlite IMHO.

CD

Have traveled on Go South Coast E200MMCs in both Salisbury and on Damory X11.
Sitting inside they do remind me of a Streetlite in design. The one thing that bugs me (and many drivers) is the transmission with the slow gear changes.I am not a lover of Streetlites but must say I prefer Streetlites to E200MMCs.

Marcus Fryer

L503 VHU has been operating some sort of shuttle service between Parkway station and UWE North Entrance today (preserved in City Line livery complete with badger). Also an unidentified L5G at UWE, presumably doing the same thing.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Have traveled on Go South Coast E200MMCs in both Salisbury and on Damory X11.
Sitting inside they do remind me of a Streetlite in design. The one thing that bugs me (and many drivers) is the transmission with the slow gear changes.I am not a lover of Streetlites but must say I prefer Streetlites to E200MMCs.
Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure there are no E200MMCs in Salisbury. On Friday, however, Stagecoach Plymouth had one on display on Royal Parade (26034, YX65 RCV) to launch the new vehicles they have recently acquired. I took a seat on the E200MMC and was pleased to find that the legroom was better than on the previous ones such as the '09' spec ones that First Bristol once had. Also I thought the new blue P&R livery on the vehicles

Apologies for going O/T anyway: photo attached from Plymouth on Friday. Not a good photo due to the weather.

In photo, left to right: E400MMC 10488 (SN65 ZHB), Plaxton Elite 54320 (YY65 VXV), E400MMC 10457 (SN65 NZP) and E200MMC 26034 (YX65 RCV).

Attachments

• 20160129_143953.jpg
    20160129_143953.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: