• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

CD

Does anyone know if 34176 will be out tomorrow? I'm thinking primarily FSW Official! I was thinking of a quick trip to Yeovil to see its last day(s) as I've never actually seen one of the AAE batch strangely!

Bit of a problem there.
Yeovil although the 2nd largest town in Somerset,has no buses on Sundays.

Your best bet is to camp out at Taunton bus stn on a weekday for 34176. But best to check its not on the depot first.:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Does anyone know if 34176 will be out tomorrow? I'm thinking primarily FSW Official! I was thinking of a quick trip to Yeovil to see its last day(s) as I've never actually seen one of the AAE batch strangely!

It is normally based at Taunton rather than Yeovil.

The AAE batch were stalwarts of Bristol for a few years especially on the 41/3/4/5 and the 1/2. Amongst the other examples (e.g. Row bodies, NC P1 K-LAE etc), one of these would be welcome.

Which vehicles does the 1905 Group now have out of interest?

1905 Group

CD: Thanks for that, seems a little odd to me, I'd always assumed that thee was a Sunday service!

TheGrandWazoo: Technically we don't own any buses yet, due to a number of issues. We had contacted BoS about 34188/9, received a reply but haven't had any responses to anything since, so that hasn't happened. We also asked about 42719 in Cornwall but also got no response strangely, even after a follow up email. As we had accounted for those vehicles, we held off for 66104 from the training fleet as that was possible at a later date and the others weren't. Now however we've ended up with nothing which is a pain, but that's the way of life. There is still the possibility we may get a reply about something but it sounds like it's too late for the Olympians and FSW mentioned they'd all be sold. We'll see what happens.

THarris123

Established Member
Today:
60912 on 174
69440 on 161
Solo in Wells depot

Think also Wells has a Streetdeck with a broken windscreen - think it's 35162 as that's the only one I didn't see on 376.

Went on 161 today and 69440 seems to be fine through the small narrow lanes.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Couple of driver rumours today:
Bath - sounds like 319 will be changing soon
Wells - they are currently overstaffed and are looking into getting more contracts to Wells - Taunton (29) was suggested.

Not sure how true though (probably 25% :) )

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
CD: Thanks for that, seems a little odd to me, I'd always assumed that thee was a Sunday service!

TheGrandWazoo: Technically we don't own any buses yet, due to a number of issues. We had contacted BoS about 34188/9, received a reply but haven't had any responses to anything since, so that hasn't happened. We also asked about 42719 in Cornwall but also got no response strangely, even after a follow up email. As we had accounted for those vehicles, we held off for 66104 from the training fleet as that was possible at a later date and the others weren't. Now however we've ended up with nothing which is a pain, but that's the way of life. There is still the possibility we may get a reply about something but it sounds like it's too late for the Olympians and FSW mentioned they'd all be sold. We'll see what happens.

I thought your main target was a B10BLE?

What of the Darts 42718/21?

ryson357

Today:
60912 on 174
69440 on 161
Solo in Wells depot

Think also Wells has a Streetdeck with a broken windscreen - think it's 35162 as that's the only one I didn't see on 376.

Wells - they are currently overstaffed and are looking into getting more contracts to Wells - Taunton (29) was suggested.

Probably doubt they change much to the 29, but be happy to be wrong! Just hope it gets timetabled better, it's so annoying having one every 3 hours :(

matt_splat

29 moving to wells makes sense in a way possibly with a slightly higher frequency could leave BOS to then cover the creech st michell part and the route to return to how it once was?

also on the subject of 319 its been under consultation so it will change yes, expect to see some evening trips from bath to replace the 37 as well

Private Baxter

Established Member

Sorry to hear it's proving trickier than planned. As ever I wish you every success with your venture. If I may ask, do you know the current status of 66107?

Thanks for sharing, without getting into the whole 'driver rumour' debate, some changes on the 29 would be welcome, though this has long been in the hands of Taunton depot and can't see it changing. I can't see TN picking any thing up in its place, but who knows.
319 has been a topic of conversation on here several times, and a change to the service has long been expected, so wouldn't be surprised if it happens this year. Whether it's just something small, or major such as route change or complete re-design and new service number (80/83?) is anyone's guess, but like I say I think a big change has been on the table for some time.

THarris123

Established Member
29 moving to wells makes sense in a way possibly with a slightly higher frequency could leave BOS to then cover the creech st michell part and the route to return to how it once was?

also on the subject of 319 its been under consultation so it will change yes, expect to see some evening trips from bath to replace the 37 as well

Thanks for info Matt - thought you might know about 319.

Also forgot that the Wells driver also said that they're looking on giving back 379 to Wells or something along those lines - anyone know if there's any substance to that? The only way of doing it as such is Wells-Bath 174/3 then 379 to Bristol, then back to Bath, then back to Wells. That's a long shift though and quite a while from Wells. Of course they could do 376, then 379, then 173 - but of course that doesn't work now due to the different vehicles.
Sorry to hear it's proving trickier than planned. As ever I wish you every success with your venture. If I may ask, do you know the current status of 66107?

Thanks for sharing, without getting into the whole 'driver rumour' debate, some changes on the 29 would be welcome, though this has long been in the hands of Taunton depot and can't see it changing. I can't see TN picking any thing up in its place, but who knows.
319 has been a topic of conversation on here several times, and a change to the service has long been expected, so wouldn't be surprised if it happens this year. Whether it's just something small, or major such as route change or complete re-design and new service number (80/83?) is anyone's guess, but like I say I think a big change has been on the table for some time.

What about the Hinkley contracts? Surely that would mean they have plenty of work? And are we sure Taunton/Bridgwater aren't understaffed? The 29 wouldn't be very much to lose - maybe 2 drivers worth of work, which would probably be replaced with summer work on 21.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Thanks for info Matt - thought you might know about 319.

Also forgot that the Wells driver also said that they're looking on giving back 379 to Wells or something along those lines - anyone know if there's any substance to that? The only way of doing it as such is Wells-Bath 174/3 then 379 to Bristol, then back to Bath, then back to Wells. That's a long shift though and quite a while from Wells. Of course they could do 376, then 379, then 173 - but of course that doesn't work now due to the different vehicles.

Can't see that happening at all!! Nor can I see it working. It works brilliantly the way it is and taking on 379 would just upset the 'finely tuned' balance they now have. (In my opinion of course);)
What about the Hinkley contracts? Surely that would mean they have plenty of work? And are we sure Taunton/Bridgwater aren't understaffed? The 29 wouldn't be very much to lose - maybe 2 drivers worth of work, which would probably be replaced with summer work on 21.
By all means. I don't go down that way a lot any more (not like the old days) so feel less involved. Don't know much about Hinkley contracts other than what I've read here, so if you think 29 is easily replaced then you're probably right. Anyway I think 29 has always worked well from Taunton but would also happily see Wells take it on, and would definitely be better than having 379 back!!

matt_splat

I highly doubt the 379 will go back to wells.

I expect that we will see changes to the 379/178 this year because the funding for the 379 as it is now i think is due to run out and i'm sure tweeks will possibly be made to make sure both routes carry on providing a link between Norton Radstock and / Bristol while keeping the Bath - Norton every 15 mins

1905 Group

TheGrandWazoo: 42718/1718 was ready for collection by us when a mistake was made by Alpha who 'accidentally scrapped it'. It seems that all of this is just a series of unfortunate events. 42721/1721 has already gone I believe, unless you know differently in which case that is still (maybe) possible.

Private Baxter: Last time I saw 66107/1907 was at Weston Super Mare (Searle Cresent) depot, blocked right at the back in the corner, so she probably hasn't moved. I can't be 100% sure however.

FSW Official

email us directly on [email protected]

Couldn't tell you i'm afraid - it'll come off as soon as it is displaced. Its replacement is here but we're painting the pink noses on the B7Ls green so it hasn't been taken off yet. There's no guarantee that it would reach Yeovil. It's a Taunton bus.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
TheGrandWazoo: 42718/1718 was ready for collection by us when a mistake was made by Alpha who 'accidentally scrapped it'. It seems that all of this is just a series of unfortunate events. 42721/1721 has already gone I believe, unless you know differently in which case that is still (maybe) possible.

Private Baxter: Last time I saw 66107/1907 was at Weston Super Mare (Searle Cresent) depot, blocked right at the back in the corner, so she probably hasn't moved. I can't be 100% sure however.

Bit confusing. The website says that "the second vehicle we are acquiring is R718 BAE, a Dennis Dart SLF with Plaxton pointer 2 bodywork new to First City Line in 1997. This is the last single decker delivered in City Line livery. Our third vehicle, S721 AFB, was the second bus delivered to City Line in Barbie 3 livery." Fair enough about the first one but sounds like 42721 was already in the bag?
Today:
60912 on 174
69440 on 161
Solo in Wells depot

This sounds very fishy....How are Wells depot overstaffed? They've not lost any work? :? Also, if they were, the easiest thing to do would be to transfer the remaining 126 board across - no route learning, no transfer of registrations etc.

I've long anticipated the 319 being modified but will wait to see what happens - the part between Bath and Oldland is a bit over bussed

You may have been lucky with the 161. I tried the 161 before Christmas on 42704 and it was a real struggle for the driver because of some poorly parked cars. Remove those and you could get a 15m coach through there!!

Last edited:

Robertj21a

On Moderation

This has reminded me to ask about Hinkley, notably, what is the current situation ?
I'm sure I read something recently to the effect that there was considerable doubt as to whether Hinkley would now progress - or did I imagine it ?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I highly doubt the 379 will go back to wells.

I expect that we will see changes to the 379/178 this year because the funding for the 379 as it is now i think is due to run out and i'm sure tweeks will possibly be made to make sure both routes carry on providing a link between Norton Radstock and / Bristol while keeping the Bath - Norton every 15 mins

I don't think the 379 will be heading back to Wells. Apart from delays and reliability (Bath and Bristol traffic) and the possible abstraction of trade from the 178 by the 379, think the pattern works ok.

To be fair, the 379 has really established a decent trade past Temple Cloud (from Bristol) so it's not just cannibalising the 376.
This has reminded me to ask about Hinkley, notably, what is the current situation ?
I'm sure I read something recently to the effect that there was considerable doubt as to whether Hinkley would now progress - or did I imagine it ?

There is always doubt!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...lant-amid-claims-of-board-panic-a6830456.html

The local road infrastructure has been done (e.g. Cannington bypass etc) but what you will have heard is that EDF were supposed to have a board meeting to finalise the go-ahead. They cancelled it at short notice. They say not to read anything into it - the protesters are reading everything into it.

As they say, the truth is probably somewhere in between ;)

Robertj21a

On Moderation

There is always doubt!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...lant-amid-claims-of-board-panic-a6830456.html

The local road infrastructure has been done (e.g. Cannington bypass etc) but what you will have heard is that EDF were supposed to have a board meeting to finalise the go-ahead. They cancelled it at short notice. They say not to read anything into it - the protesters are reading everything into it.

Thanks for that. I think what I may have seen is this bit:-

http://www.theguardian.com/business...ng-to-fund-new-hinkley-point-nuclear-reactors

<http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/26/edf-struggling-to-fund-new-hinkley-point-nuclear-reactors>

THarris123

Established Member
I don't think the 379 will be heading back to Wells. Apart from delays and reliability (Bath and Bristol traffic) and the possible abstraction of trade from the 178 by the 379, think the pattern works ok.

To be fair, the 379 has really established a decent trade past Temple Cloud (from Bristol) so it's not just cannibalising the 376.

There is always doubt!!

Agree with you on 379 - works well at the moment, so why change it - but there again there have been very few timetable change dates where 178/379 haven't changed, so anything could happen.

Wells are overstaffed - only by 1 or 2 drivers, but still enough - I did see 1 driver in Bath a few times lately. Looks like they've employed too many in Wells (which was probably intentional to cover work in Bath). I'm told there isn't very much on the over time sheet in Wells either.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Agree with you on 379 - works well at the moment, so why change it - but there again there have been very few timetable change dates where 178/379 haven't changed, so anything could happen.

Wells are overstaffed - only by 1 or 2 drivers, but still enough - I did see 1 driver in Bath a few times lately. Looks like they've employed too many in Wells (which was probably intentional to cover work in Bath). I'm told there isn't very much on the over time sheet in Wells either.

Rather odd to intentionally over-employ especially as the last changes were some time ago. In that case, I'd be a bit cautious. The only other thing were if there were service reductions on the existing work but perhaps those aren't hares that should be set running!!

Whilst the 29 would be better run from Wells (in terms of avoiding the dead running from TN), I just don't see it. Aside from the hassle of moving registrations and route learning, how would you cover driver changes? Sending drivers on the 375-7? I can't see another vehicle in the PVR as surely they'd have done that last year.

THarris123

Established Member
There's a good picture of 62198 in its new training fleet livery on Steve White's page
Rather odd to intentionally over-employ especially as the last changes were some time ago. In that case, I'd be a bit cautious. The only other thing were if there were service reductions on the existing work but perhaps those aren't hares that should be set running!!

Whilst the 29 would be better run from Wells (in terms of avoiding the dead running from TN), I just don't see it. Aside from the hassle of moving registrations and route learning, how would you cover driver changes? Sending drivers on the 375-7? I can't see another vehicle in the PVR as surely they'd have done that last year.

Well we'll see what happens in April.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks for that. I think what I may have seen is this bit:-

http://www.theguardian.com/business...ng-to-fund-new-hinkley-point-nuclear-reactors

<http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/26/edf-struggling-to-fund-new-hinkley-point-nuclear-reactors>

Yep, along those lines! If it doesn't go ahead, Cannington have still got their bypass ;)
There's a good picture of 62198 in its new training fleet livery on Steve White's page

Well we'll see what happens in April.

I take it that they'll be a load of vinyls to go on the training buses? Good to see 66104 getting a second paint job in a year!!!

1905 Group

Bit confusing. The website says that "the second vehicle we are acquiring is R718 BAE, a Dennis Dart SLF with Plaxton pointer 2 bodywork new to First City Line in 1997. This is the last single decker delivered in City Line livery. Our third vehicle, S721 AFB, was the second bus delivered to City Line in Barbie 3 livery." Fair enough about the first one but sounds like 42721 was already in the bag?

That's a combination of things - poor wording and the fact that the website hasn't been updated for a good while - thanks for the reminder!

Also thanks to FSW for that email address, I will be in contact shortly.

johnnychips

Established Member
Not from the area, just a query.

On the X2 from Bristol to Portishead this afternoon, the automatic voice announcing the stops did excellently until it got to St Katherine's School in, I think, Ham Green. It pronounced it as ess-en-tee Katherine's ess-cee-aitch, identical to the display. It did the same thing with Gordano Gdns, and pronounced it Gor-danno.

Yet on an identical X2 later, it pronounced Saint, school and gardens in full and even got 'Gor-day-no' right. The person doing the voice is the same. What's going on?

matt_splat

Doesnt any one remember the old driver changes on the 668 / 669 in shepton sainsbiurys using the old transit break down fan :D

i have always thought a Wells - Taunton run ran from Wells would be a better way to do it i guess its always been a taunton route. i doubt wells drivers would need much route training.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Doesnt any one remember the old driver changes on the 668 / 669 in shepton sainsbiurys using the old transit break down fan :D

i have always thought a Wells - Taunton run ran from Wells would be a better way to do it i guess its always been a taunton route. i doubt wells drivers would need much route training.

It was always a Southern National route. Even when the vehicle moved from Glastonbury car park to Wells depot, it was still the responsibility of Taunton depot. For most of the route, it's straight forward but perhaps going through Taunton would need the training?

I remember the 668/9 - I thought there were shorts to/from Wells? And are you thinking of Tesco (Cenotaph) in Shepton?

Private Baxter

Established Member
I think there has always been a feeling that Wells should do 29. I remember talking to a Wells driver years and years ago (2002) who thought it be better if they did it.

Going back to a similar period, I remember driver changes at Street library for 668/9, or maybe even 667. In more recent times though, I think it was the short 161s that went on to become 669. Those additional runs survived a extra few years after Frome Minibuses took on the route in 2009.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I think there has always been a feeling that Wells should do 29. I remember talking to a Wells driver years and years ago (2002) who thought it be better if they did it.

There's no doubt that the first and last journeys are nothing more than placement journeys so in that respect, that driver may well have a point.

However, especially as it's now been cut back to the historic Glastonbury to Taunton route and is pretty compact in terms of timing/operation, I don't see it moving (but hey, always the capacity to be wrong).

IIRC, the SNOC Glastonbury driver would take his breaks in Taunton. The usual vehicle would've been a Iveco or Mercedes minibus. Remember doing a Saturday afternoon run from Taunton (2006?) on that wretched Vario S864LRU with a load of about 20 people - that would be enough to reduce passenger figures!!

Private Baxter

Established Member
For many years a bus would be outstationed at Wells depot, and there were a couple of regular drivers on the route who would also do a mid shift run as well. As you may Merc minibuses were the norm, L651 CJT being very common but occasionally bigger buses would do it as well. For a time, the last 29 of the day would come into Wells then go off and do a 172 to Wookey Hole and back, and I'm sure on one or two occasions a double decker was doing this!!
But at some point during the last ten years they stopped keeping a bus in Wells and ran empty first thing in the morning, then back again in the evening, until eventually they decided to put those journeys in service.
A service every three hours isn't too different to what it was ten years ago, just less sporadic.