• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

freetoview33

Established Member
Really? I'd heard it was certain to be a fleet of Neoplan Jumbocruisers for both the Bristol and Weston Flyer!!

I'm going on published info, that the Long Ashton metrobus route can only accept single deckers, due to the Ashton Ave swing bridge. And that the Airport service would use the metrobus route.

D2007wsm

Established Member
It has been suggested, but NOT confirmed, the Bristol Flyer will receive new Scania chasis E400s and some of the existing fleet will be refurbished for use by Weston. The ones not use for the Weston Flyer, having the luggage racks removed, refurbished and upseated for use by Weston on country work.

Apparently, but I don't know how true it is, low height deckers can be operated on the Ashton and of Metrobus.

vicbury

It has been suggested, but NOT confirmed, the Bristol Flyer will receive new Scania chasis E400s and some of the existing fleet will be refurbished for use by Weston. The ones not use for the Weston Flyer, having the luggage racks removed, refurbished and upseated for use by Weston on country work.

Apparently, but I don't know how true it is, low height deckers can be operated on the Ashton and of Metrobus.

Hmm Scania chassis.. Gas buses?

THarris123

Established Member

Not just Weston from why I've heard.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I'm going on published info, that the Long Ashton metrobus route can only accept single deckers, due to the Ashton Ave swing bridge. And that the Airport service would use the metrobus route.

So what you're saying is that assuming the Airport service will use the Long Ashton route AND that because it uses Ashton Avenue bridge, then the rumour of double deckers would have to be incorrect?

swifty

Established Member
So what you're saying is that assuming the Airport service will use the Long Ashton route AND that because it uses Ashton Avenue bridge, then the rumour of double deckers would have to be incorrect?

So in terms of the LA P&R some genius decided to route it via a low bridge to the Long Ashton P&R, which means single deckers on a probable 10 minute headway combined with the Hengrove service for ~5min frequency to the P&R in order to save all of 5 minutes vs the journey time (in a decker) via the more useful standard route?

Last edited:

swifty

Established Member
So we have two options, do we?

A rumour that deckers will be used and because of that, they would have to use the existing route?

Alternatively, if they wish to use the Metrobus route out to Long Ashton, as was intimated before, then they would have to use single decks?

IIRC the tender document stated that the operator must source the vehicles themselves, as per the last contract. Therefore First must(?) own the current fleet, not the airport as previously rumoured, and therefore if First feel capacity warrants it then deckers may have been put forward?

It also states that the preferred route is via Metrobus and the SBL which the airport have put funding toward, which would point towards singles being used due to the bridge issue. However there is also the issue of the numerous amounts of staff of south Bristol that use the route and would be inconvenienced but a reroute so there is also that aspect to consider!

All in all I think we can fairly assume only those within First and BIA actually know what's going to happen! ;)

diffywood

read this

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/to-and-from-the-airport/south-bristol-link-questions-and-answers

: What does it mean for passengers travelling to and from Bristol Airport? Will this reduce journey times?

The SBL will improve access to Bristol Airport for passengers travelling by car from the north, east and west, although journey time reductions may be tempered in the short term by delays caused by road improvement works elsewhere in the local area. On completion of the MetroBus network, the route of the Airport Flyer Express bus service will be reviewed to make use of the South Bristol Link and the Ashton Vale to Temple Meads (AVTM) MetroBus route.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
read this

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/to-and-from-the-airport/south-bristol-link-questions-and-answers

: What does it mean for passengers travelling to and from Bristol Airport? Will this reduce journey times?

The SBL will improve access to Bristol Airport for passengers travelling by car from the north, east and west, although journey time reductions may be tempered in the short term by delays caused by road improvement works elsewhere in the local area. On completion of the MetroBus network, the route of the Airport Flyer Express bus service will be reviewed to make use of the South Bristol Link and the Ashton Vale to Temple Meads (AVTM) MetroBus route.

That would seem to preclude the use of deckers then?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Good bit of information from Simon Nicholas on the FHD forum in relation to the EDF contract. Hope it is of interest for those who don't go on that forum:

Despite “Somerset Transport Solutions Limited” being a limited company, this joint venture between First and JJP Holdings (Crosville/Southern National) does not have its own O licence. Both partners are supplying 35 discs each at any time, with an agreement that both will be able to add more at short notice, as and when necessary.

The fleet at late January consisted of:
JJP Southern National -
15 minibuses (13 Transit / 2 Mercedes), 4 Yutong coaches, 6 ADL Enviro 200, 2 Mercedes / Plaxton Cheetah XL, 1 Volvo B11R / Plaxton Panther, 2 Volvo B8R / Plaxton Leopard.
First South West -
11 ex. Malta Volvo B7RLE, 11 Optare Solos (most but not all ex. Malta).

At this moment in time, the permanent fleet is being augmented by anything BOS and Crosville can muster. During the next few months however, and as the construction starts proper, Mistral are supplying up to thirty new ADL Enviro 200s (which will be operated on Southern National discs) and a large number of Yutong coaches (to be run on First and Southern National discs).

Quite a complex situation (for example, Dawson Rentals are having the ex. Malta Volvo B7RLEs maintained at Volvo at Avonmouth – Yutong importer Pelican are in the process of opening a maintenance base at the operating centre at junction 24 of the M5).

DaveHarries

Established Member
On completion of the MetroBus network, the route of the Airport Flyer Express bus service will be reviewed to make use of the South Bristol Link and the Ashton Vale to Temple Meads (AVTM) MetroBus route.
Ooo yes. Must use the waste-of-money Metrobus route mustn't we? :roll:

freetoview33

Established Member
Ooo yes. Must use the waste-of-money Metrobus route mustn't we? :roll:

I think Bristol City Council and North Somerset Council persuaded them to use the metrobus route. But how is a good question. Might of been the threat of the council including it in a quality contact, and stipulating fares ect!

vicbury

I'm not sure using double deckers on the A1 would be the best idea anyway. Most passengers have luggage which leads to two options:

1. Hauling your luggage up the stairs
  2. Leaving your luggage unattended downstairs

Given that double deckers have a far lower downstairs seating capacity than a single decker, this is not ideal.

Therefore, the ideal vehicles for extra capacity would be bendy buses.

If the AVTM route speeds up buses, then why not make use? It's in the Airport's interests to get its staff from south Bristol to work, so I'm sure alternatives (staff minibuses etc) will be provided.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'm not sure using double deckers on the A1 would be the best idea anyway. Most passengers have luggage which leads to two options:

1. Hauling your luggage up the stairs
  2. Leaving your luggage unattended downstairs

Given that double deckers have a far lower downstairs seating capacity than a single decker, this is not ideal.

Therefore, the ideal vehicles for extra capacity would be bendy buses.

If the AVTM route speeds up buses, then why not make use? It's in the Airport's interests to get its staff from south Bristol to work, so I'm sure alternatives (staff minibuses etc) will be provided.

I'm not so convinced by the argument against deckers in so far as the A4 uses them. More appropriately, the London Transport Airbus services used Metrobuses and Olympians out of Heathrow.

However, the speed benefit of the AVTM route would seem to be a sensible enough option. Surely better that than flying back from holiday and then be grinding through Bemmie?

vicbury

I'm not so convinced by the argument against deckers in so far as the A4 uses them. More appropriately, the London Transport Airbus services used Metrobuses and Olympians out of Heathrow.

However, the speed benefit of the AVTM route would seem to be a sensible enough option. Surely better that than flying back from holiday and then be grinding through Bemmie?

I would compile a list of airport bus routes in the UK and see if generally single deckers or double deckers are preferred, but I can't be bothered! Take your point that double deckers can be successfully used though.

In any event I have come up with a genius solution to my quandry. CCTV of the luggage area with a large monitor upstairs. Sorted.

Agreed that city-airport buses need to be as fast as possible.

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member

And Lothian's 100 'Airlink' has Streetdecks.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I think Bristol City Council and North Somerset Council persuaded them to use the metrobus route. But how is a good question. Might of been the threat of the council including it in a quality contact, and stipulating fares ect!
Who knows. One thing is for sure and that is that there are very few things I trust Bristol [....]ty Council on. Transport is certainly not one of them. The money spent on the Metrobus so far has come to in excess of the estimated £200m: last I heard it has passed £215m and was likely to come to £230m which, IMO, is an absurd amount of money to pay for what is essentially a glorified bus route which, at the time of writing, they have no operator for as none will take it on commercially: they were supposed to have an operator in place for 12 months prior to the start of services. I continue to think that the £200m+ would have been far better spent elsewhere. I could go on as to my own idea for what might have been better but this is not the thread to do so.

Anyway, back to the A1 Airport bus. The main problem with using the MB route is that the Airport staff who currently use it to get to work will find it not quite so convenient. IMO it would be better to not use the MB route and to maintain the present route instead so that the staff of the Airport continue to have a viable alternative to their cars.

Dave

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
Who knows. One thing is for sure and that is that there are very few things I trust Bristol [....]ty Council on. Transport is certainly not one of them. The money spent on the Metrobus so far has come to in excess of the estimated £200m: last I heard it has passed £215m and was likely to come to £230m which, IMO, is an absurd amount of money to pay for what is essentially a glorified bus route which, at the time of writing, they have no operator for as none will take it on commercially: they were supposed to have an operator in place for 12 months prior to the start of services. I continue to think that the £200m+ would have been far better spent elsewhere. I could go on as to my own idea for what might have been better but this is not the thread to do so.

Anyway, back to the A1 Airport bus. The main problem with using the MB route is that the Airport staff who currently use it to get to work will find it not quite so convenient. IMO it would be better to not use the MB route and to maintain the present route instead so that the staff of the Airport continue to have a viable alternative to their cars.

Dave

Sounds more like the Evening Post! The 'Metrobus' money covers lots of things such as the South Bristol Link road that are of little use to buses, however putting them all into one pot meant that Bristol could get some government money for the whole thing. I'm not sure how any transport scheme that is planned around buses can end up as anything other than a 'glorified bus route'! If you mean that it should have included trams than you can add another 0 to the figure, and another few years of disruption!

Naishy

The plans for the bridge show restricted height signs for 14'6" in the middle which I guess is why the bus lane is a single track. I think E400's can be 14'1"

Bristol_Buses

Dave

I agree with all of this, Metrobus is just utter crap. It would be better going towards the Bristol Arena. The only good part is the South Bristol Link road. With the A1 I think it should stick it its current route. Its fine as it is but i suppose they want at least 1 bus route to use the new ashton bridge.