• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

spw24

32004 has returned to Lawrence Hill and its now pink and will join 32008 in moving to Bath for extra UNI work.

Ive also has a chance to look over the Bio bus 39401 and the seating capacity isn't what I thought it was the plate in the cab states max seating is 70 plus 1 wheelchair after counting the seats it actually seats 73 which is 42 over 31 its got 2 tables at the rear upstairs with a back facing set of seats at each table and has no middle rear seat.

seating downstairs is 25 in the rear section 2 behind the door 2 tipups on the offside 1 tipup on the nearside and a seat base on the wheelchair back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I haven't been past the Tod depot for a while, the last time I went past it still had a roof. I do recall travelling on a Northern Counties Dennis Dominator sometime in the noughties that had a plate that was located near the cab stating that the vehicle was not to go into Millwood becuase of the depot roof.

Are the "Somerset Six" in BoS livery or in the old Barbie livery? This way when I'm in Bradford (West Yorkshire) I can keep an eye out. I will admit that I haven't seen 32685 or its counterparts for a while either.

Tod hasn't had a roof for a year or so. The depot had areas that couldn't accommodate full height deckers but in the past, there were plenty of deckers allocated. Whilst most of the WYPTE fleet were Atlanteans, Calderdale had Fleetlines because of their lower height and when these were too old, they got ex WYRCC Olympians and new F reg.

Suspect the Dominator was some full height 14'10 machine rather than something under 14'?

As for the BoS B7Ls, one (61594) arrived in standard Urban. Four in urban with coloured front ends painted green (60895/60910/18) and one in Plymouth P&R pink (60917) that were swiftly painted urban. The last was 66339 that was in Barbie and looked dreadful. Bumps and scratches, lots of evidence of Norwich branding and hardly a straight panel so it got repannelled and painted before going to Bradford.

The FWoE examples had a couple in urban but most in Barbie. Those entered service but think they too have been systematically painted and smartened up as most hadn't been painted since being in Northampton having then gone to Norwich and then Bristol.

THarris123

Established Member
32004 has returned to Lawrence Hill and its now pink and will join 32008 in moving to Bath for extra UNI work.

Ive also has a chance to look over the Bio bus 39401 and the seating capacity isn't what I thought it was the plate in the cab states max seating is 70 plus 1 wheelchair after counting the seats it actually seats 73 which is 42 over 31 its got 2 tables at the rear upstairs with a back facing set of seats at each table and has no middle rear seat.

seating downstairs is 25 in the rear section 2 behind the door 2 tipups on the offside 1 tipup on the nearside and a seat base on the wheelchair back.

Interesting. Are they getting mticket vinyls?

Will they have branding for Uni? Any ideas if the purple Weston ones will join them.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Cheers Steve - perhaps the eyesight and memory is ok and it was 32008 that I saw in the Avonmouth paintshop after all.

It's quite a clever idea to have these advertising buses, assuming that the pink base is for mTickets. Not only the promotion of said mTickets but also being able to move these buses around on various routes without worrying about route branding.

Don't know if the chatter on bendis to Cardiff Airport had any substance but they must be glad to still have them to move students in the peaks. So, the W regs will keep plodding some more.... best find two more dateless reg plates :D

I somehow have the gut feeling that the two purple ones will remain at Weston.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Yes, £2 1/2 million to build a couple of platforms at Avonmouth so people can get to Temple Meads in exactually the same time as the bus does for example!
It will be one platform as it is single-track on the line where that new station is going (just the Shirehampton side of the Avonmouth bridge).

Dave

swifty

Established Member
Interesting to note the former Bristol 69435/6 & 69449-60 are being repainted and refurbished by Thorntons before being dispatched to Worcester, with E300s to the Potteries and older B7s to Leicester.

carlberry

Established Member
The spare Streetdeck was on the Portway P&R yesterday. I cant remember seeing the P&R spare on the Portway service before so this was very odd.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Interesting to note the former Bristol 69435/6 & 69449-60 are being repainted and refurbished by Thorntons before being dispatched to Worcester, with E300s to the Potteries and older B7s to Leicester.

Thanks for reporting that. To be honest, they'll be much better suited as belting along on the 144 than grinding round Beaumont Leys

swifty

Established Member
Thanks for reporting that. To be honest, they'll be much better suited as belting along on the 144 than grinding round Beaumont Leys

Let's hope they get some more ventilation whilst they're being worked on too!

I've also seen on the Yorkshire forum that Somerset will be gaining all the ex WoE Solos from Doncaster alongside the 3 E200s. Apparently they're due to move at the end of the month.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

I've also seen on the Yorkshire forum that Somerset will be gaining all the ex WoE Solos from Doncaster alongside the 3 E200s. Apparently they're due to move at the end of the month.

I hope they don't send 53401 up to Wells on the 29 ;) Wonder where and what they are heading for?

Your post did make me look at the FMR site. They'd spotted the lack of window vents and were wondering if they were air conditioned :D

THarris123

Established Member

So those solos have moved from Bath to South Wales to Yorkshire to BoS.

Hmmm....

I would presume this is 53807/8/10?

Solos would be more suited to Somerset considering how empty some buses can be. I wonder if the solos could do the Bridgwater B1 and B2 services or would they suffer with capacity issues. Or maybe for 10/11?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
So those solos have moved from Bath to South Wales to Yorkshire to BoS.

Hmmm....

I would presume this is 53807/8/10?

Solos would be more suited to Somerset considering how empty some buses can be. I wonder if the solos could do the Bridgwater B1 and B2 services or would they suffer with capacity issues. Or maybe for 10/11?

All the former FWoE so those plus 53401 (and 53703 that hasn't been FWoE). 53401 went direct to Donny though.

Who knows what the plans are? Some of the Yeovil Solos are mature (2001/2 vintage) but we will have to wait and see. Would normally hope we'd get the proper story but FSW Official has been a bit quiet recently - possibly on hols or perhaps bored with dealing with ill informed criticism? I'd not blame them!

swifty

Established Member
Would normally hope we'd get the proper story but FSW Official has been a bit quiet recently - possibly on hols or perhaps bored with dealing with ill informed criticism? I'd not blame them!

Me neither and I wouldn't be surprised if they've given up, after all everyone else knows better than them :roll:

THarris123

Established Member
All the former FWoE so those plus 53401 (and 53703 that hasn't been FWoE). 53401 went direct to Donny though.

Who knows what the plans are? Some of the Yeovil Solos are mature (2001/2 vintage) but we will have to wait and see. Would normally hope we'd get the proper story but FSW Official has been a bit quiet recently - possibly on hols or perhaps bored with dealing with ill informed criticism? I'd not blame them!

He's still reading, but not contributing, so more likely the latter. Probably due to me questioning so much all the time.

83G/84D

Established Member
He's still reading, but not contributing, so more likely the latter. Probably due to me questioning so much all the time.

Thanks, I suspected that was the case and explains the lack of postings on here and the First Kernow thread. On the latter thread I think he has taken some other regular posters with him judging by the lack of recent activity.

A shame but not unexpected.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks, I suspected that was the case and explains the lack of postings on here and the First Kernow thread. On the latter thread I think he has taken some other regular posters with him judging by the lack of recent activity.

A shame but not unexpected.

If FSW is still around but has decided not to continue contributing, then we are all worse off. We were able to get accurate information and a level of insight into the rationale behind some of the decisions.

Better than the ill informed speculation, and reheated canteen gossip, that is passed off as fact. I'd like to think it is a brief hiatus but I can appreciate it if they cannot contribute.

carlberry

Established Member
A pink streetlite plus several other streetlites on the 90 in Bristol today (plus at least one of the dedicated streetdecks).

All that red paint on the other deckers for the service was a great investment!!

freetoview33

Established Member
A pink streetlite plus several other streetlites on the 90 in Bristol today (plus at least one of the dedicated streetdecks).

All that red paint on the other deckers for the service was a great investment!!

Well if it got rid of Wessex in a few weeks then I guess First would say it was a very good investment.

carlberry

Established Member
Well if it got rid of Wessex in a few weeks then I guess First would say it was a very good investment.

True, however flooding the route with extra vehicles (painted or not) achieved that anyway. (Not that I'm suggesting that the whole thing was a flashback to the worst days of early deregulation!).

Citistar

True, however flooding the route with extra vehicles (painted or not) achieved that anyway. (Not that I'm suggesting that the whole thing was a flashback to the worst days of early deregulation!).

It had echoes. I was in and around Bristol for several days during the first week of Wessex 90 and the weeks that followed. Given that Bristol City Council chose the substantial increase in buses as the perfect moment to dig up Bedminster Parade bus stop, there was all sorts of ridiculous activity going on, most notably after First increased to eight buses per hour. Wessex were blocking stops in town. First were blocking stops on the Horsefair. Both operators were uncooperative in keeping the stops in Bedminster clear.

But i digress, the 90 was a distraction tactic by Wessex to see how hard First would bite and how much money they would waste doing it. The answer was 'quite a bit' and i'm sure that satisfied the local Rotala management. I suspect the reaction of First finalised the decision not to compete at any local universities this year.

dcs34

As a student at Bath Uni (trying to figure out what is happening to the buses next year!) the U2 was successful enough in it's own right to maintain the double deckers (at least during the morning/afternoon peaks), let alone with all 10 of Wessex's passengers now having to use it instead of the 17.

Being a new service last year demand will only increase as each year students will become more expectant of that route so it will affect the distribution of where students live.

On that point, anyone know what's happening to all those that live on the Twerton bit of the old 17 route, used to enjoy going through on the 3am last bus cos the U2 only ran till 10.

Also worth saying that Wessex didn't exactly cover themselves in glory this year - 2 buses plowing into the landscaped bits by the Uni stop, one bus catching fire, another leaking oil at the stop (on an open day of all days) - not to mention there wasn't a day went by when one 17/18 was sat in the U2 stop cooling down! So certainly amongst those at the top of the Uni First are seen as the far more reliable and professional service...

83G/84D

Established Member
Just like to say a thank you to all the West of England staff at Lawrence Hill depot for an informative and enjoyable day at the depot open day.
Had a great time driving a bus, going on a depot tour and going through the bus wash as well as looking at the buses on display.

Thanks to everyone involved in making it happen.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Just like to say a thank you to all the West of England staff at Lawrence Hill depot for an informative and enjoyable day at the depot open day.
Had a great time driving a bus, going on a depot tour and going through the bus wash as well as looking at the buses on display.

Thanks to everyone involved in making it happen.

Indeed - I had a spare day and decided to have a day out (more of that in due course) and only twigged when sat on a bus and noticing the poster.

I went along and full credit to the hard work and efforts of all of the First staff. To put on something like this whilst also running the business takes a lot of hard work so hats off. Hope they also made a bit of cash for Prostate Cancer - I chucked a few quid in the bucket.

Also, and this is just an observation.... There were a lot of enthusiasts who are perhaps a bit further along the autistic spectrum that the average Joe. As a generalism, perhaps a hobby with numbers and registrations etc is what attracts them, I don't know. What I can say is that this provides certain challenges yet the First staff were brilliant in trying to patiently answer questions, corralling people so they didn't wander off and put themselves in danger, and trying to pitch information so it was detailed enough without alienating the general public who'd just walked in. Special mention of the lady driver Louise (aka Lou) who was an absolute credit to First.

There were various snippets of information provided as we went round the depot tour - e.g. the new e400mmc are being signed off on Wednesday in Falkirk so expect them to arrive soon - all in all, good on James Freeman and his team for putting something like this on. It's not my thing - I don't do bus rallies - and there seemed plenty of non-enthusiasts too.

THarris123

Established Member
Indeed - I had a spare day and decided to have a day out (more of that in due course) and only twigged when sat on a bus and noticing the poster.

I went along and full credit to the hard work and efforts of all of the First staff. To put on something like this whilst also running the business takes a lot of hard work so hats off. Hope they also made a bit of cash for Prostate Cancer - I chucked a few quid in the bucket.

Also, and this is just an observation.... There were a lot of enthusiasts who are perhaps a bit further along the autistic spectrum that the average Joe. As a generalism, perhaps a hobby with numbers and registrations etc is what attracts them, I don't know. What I can say is that this provides certain challenges yet the First staff were brilliant in trying to patiently answer questions, corralling people so they didn't wander off and put themselves in danger, and trying to pitch information so it was detailed enough without alienating the general public who'd just walked in. Special mention of the lady driver Louise (aka Lou) who was an absolute credit to First.

There were various snippets of information provided as we went round the depot tour - e.g. the new e400mmc are being signed off on Wednesday in Falkirk so expect them to arrive soon - all in all, good on James Freeman and his team for putting something like this on. It's not my thing - I don't do bus rallies - and there seemed plenty of non-enthusiasts too.

It was a good event. I went in the afternoon and missed out on a driver experience slot. It's a shame they can't do more of these open days.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the line up of vehicles - virtually all E400 MMCs.why couldn't they put a B7L or B7RLE or B9 on show too. There were stacks of them spare.

I did have a go on 32688 through the bus wash which was good.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It was a good event. I went in the afternoon and missed out on a driver experience slot. It's a shame they can't do more of these open days.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the line up of vehicles - virtually all E400 MMCs.why couldn't they put a B7L or B7RLE or B9 on show too. There were stacks of them spare.

I did have a go on 32688 through the bus wash which was good.

Remember that this wasn't just aimed at enthusiasts but at the general public - why put some battered B7L on display when you're trying to impress the general public? This is a sales pitch to the public and to be honest, it was only the Biobus and the Electric e400 that was of real interest.

Besides, they did have a Streetdeck, a Streetlite and an refurbed B7TL. Most enthusiasts will have been on enough B9s as it is (and probably caught one to and from Lawrence Hill) - perhaps the only omission was something like 33829 being there newly repainted in Excel colours.