• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

D2007wsm

Established Member
They could've repainted the EY darts in purple for Bath and moved across three of Bath's Darts to Weston ;) Echoing the comments on here before, I am surprised that they've painted some Darts up - the U2 last year seemed to be well loaded on certain journeys.

Have been in Clifton today and seen some very heavily loaded new deckers on the U1 plus some of the Bath deckers on loan. What with all the e400mmcs on the 1/2 and the U1, it's beginning to get very standardised on Whiteladies Road (tongue in cheek :lol:) with 3 or 4 mmcs in view at times
That would have made sense to swap them for the Urban examples painted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CD

Only 2 B7RLEs outstationed in Yeovil at present. 69218 and 69223 both on 77 together with Dart 42953.
Ex Lothian Dart 43906 is here and on the Yeovil 54 duty.
42951 has at last returned from Bridgwater. It was in the Bridgwater workshop Wednesday and in Yeovil's today.

vicbury

Lots of tweets from First this evening blaming missing services on a shortage of drivers. Hope this won't go on for the whole of University term time!

THarris123

Established Member
Lots of tweets from First this evening blaming missing services on a shortage of drivers. Hope this won't go on for the whole of University term time!

In Bath or Bristol?

When Uni goes back next week, Wells, Weston, Bath and Bristol will be all short.
Wells have at least 5 new drivers that I've seen about (some good, some bad), but there are some leaving again. The trainer said to me a few weeks back that they would be 12 short in September when the Bath loans go back - so that's probably only about 8 or 9 now. There are a few drivers on loan in Weston from Bath which go back for Uni, so they'll be potentially short. Bristol I'm sure is short and the worst case is Bath - like I said they had inspectors out yesterday evening and that's before Uni starts. There are going to be a lot of unhappy passengers and Universities. It does make me question if the management positions are still safe.

On another note I understand that some Taunton and Yeovil drivers are/will be on loan in Wells.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I haven't seen either 42910 or 42939 in service in Bath this month. We know 910 is purple now so could 939 become a fourth purple one?

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
An odd spot on the M4. A dark red Plaxton President LR52??? on M4 near Pucklechurch - shade was a bit darker than Royal Mail. No fleetnames but LED destination said UWE Frenchay Express.

Someone having fun or a short term loan from Ensign?

There's a picture of it in Lawrence Hill depot on Facebook. It's one of a batch of 52-plate B7s that Metroline used to operate on routes 140/182/H12 from Harrow Weald depot. Interesting it's turned up here given this batch went off-lease about a year ago when new stock was delivered for the 140 and 182.

diffywood

vicbury

In Bath or Bristol?

When Uni goes back next week, Wells, Weston, Bath and Bristol will be all short.
Wells have at least 5 new drivers that I've seen about (some good, some bad), but there are some leaving again. The trainer said to me a few weeks back that they would be 12 short in September when the Bath loans go back - so that's probably only about 8 or 9 now. There are a few drivers on loan in Weston from Bath which go back for Uni, so they'll be potentially short. Bristol I'm sure is short and the worst case is Bath - like I said they had inspectors out yesterday evening and that's before Uni starts. There are going to be a lot of unhappy passengers and Universities. It does make me question if the management positions are still safe.

On another note I understand that some Taunton and Yeovil drivers are/will be on loan in Wells.

It was in response to Bristol queries.

Are you implying it's a management issue, or is it to do with wider factors such as low unemployment or Brexit?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There's a picture of it in Lawrence Hill depot on Facebook. It's one of a batch of 52-plate B7s that Metroline used to operate on routes 140/182/H12 from Harrow Weald depot. Interesting it's turned up here given this batch went off-lease about a year ago when new stock was delivered for the 140 and 182.

Glad my eyes weren't deceiving me and thanks also to diffywood for providing the photo. As I said, I wonder if it's a short term loan from somewhere like Ensign, covering for a slightly delayed bunch of new deckers?

Whiteway215

Established Member
I have seen a photo of Metrobus liveried Scania YT67XJV at Bath Weston Island Depot (which Steve had reported at Hengrove) plus a second one, registration slightly indistinct but looks like YT67XKA

Colly405

Not sure whether this will be interesting to anyone, but there was a Gemini on the A1 at Temple Meads yesterday at about 1040.

And the new Unibus ticket, I see that it is valid on the U1, 3, 4, 9 and 72. Surprised that as it's valid on the 4 that it isn't also valid on the 1 & 2. And a student was very surprised that it isn't valid on the 8!
And in uni holiday time it is only valid on the 3.

freetoview33

Established Member
Not sure whether this will be interesting to anyone, but there was a Gemini on the A1 at Temple Meads yesterday at about 1040.

And the new Unibus ticket, I see that it is valid on the U1, 3, 4, 9 and 72. Surprised that as it's valid on the 4 that it isn't also valid on the 1 & 2. And a student was very surprised that it isn't valid on the 8!
And in uni holiday time it is only valid on the 3.

Well the 8 doesn't really go by the Uni! I can understand the 4 though.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Saw 60911 on 82 today. Not looking too bad in all fairness. Any update on the rest of these? Haven't seen them recently, so have the majority now left?
Also had 42925 on 19A, and compared to many other Bath darts of that age, this one looks remarkably decent, both inside and out.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Saw 60911 on 82 today. Not looking too bad in all fairness. Any update on the rest of these? Haven't seen them recently, so have the majority now left?
Also had 42925 on 19A, and compared to many other Bath darts of that age, this one looks remarkably decent, both inside and out.

Saw 60911 on 72 yesterday as well as 66301 whilst 66325 (I think) on the UWE Express so a few still about ;)

spw24

Saw 60911 on 72 yesterday as well as 66301 whilst 66325 (I think) on the UWE Express so a few still about ;)

66346 has moved to LH/MH been on several MH routes last week and tonight 66355 is sat in Croydon St.

Also here is an ex Metroline Volvo B7 President LR52BNZ looks like its going to be used as its got a machine base plate fitted.

trolleyman

66325 was on the 82 today also, before being swapped out ATM yate for decker 37357 I believe

Private Baxter

Established Member

66346 has moved to LH/MH been on several MH routes last week and tonight 66355 is sat in Croydon St.

Also here is an ex Metroline Volvo B7 President LR52BNZ looks like its going to be used as its got a machine base plate fitted.
Thanks for your responses guys!

vicbury

Plenty of cancellations again yesterday with examples such as two 48As in a row not running.

I did however have a pleasant journey from Bath to Bristol with 42968 on the 37. Seems to be one of Bath's better Darts. Nothing near big enough for the route however. Had to skip most stops between St George and Old Market due to being full.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Plenty of cancellations again yesterday with examples such as two 48As in a row not running.

I did however have a pleasant journey from Bath to Bristol with 42968 on the 37. Seems to be one of Bath's better Darts. Nothing near big enough for the route however. Had to skip most stops between St George and Old Market due to being full.

I'd suggest it's not big enough simply because of a missing 44/45 rather than because of the 37 which has been Darts or similar for quite a few years :D

Whiteway215

Established Member
Went out to see the first U2s of the new University of Bath term. All were running with 42899 42897 47546 and 42910 doing the honours.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Were they coping??

I'm afraid I saw them in the Combe Down area after they had left the uni at the start of their circular trip so they wouldn't have picked up many until Southdown, Oldfield Park etc. How they coped with loadings I can't say at the moment. I think the passengers aboard the first four workings were 0,0,0 and 1!

vicbury

I'm afraid I saw them in the Combe Down area after they had left the uni at the start of their circular trip so they wouldn't have picked up many until Southdown, Oldfield Park etc. How they coped with loadings I can't say at the moment. I think the passengers aboard the first four workings were 0,0,0 and 1!

Next week will be the real test. This week is fresher's week so, in the main, only first years will be in. First years tend to live in halls, which are generally on campus or in the city centre, so they would be less likely to use the U2 in any event.

It might pick up this afternoon as first years drag themselves out of bed to go to freshers fair etc. however I don't think we can draw conclusions til next week, when the chaos will ensue!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Next week will be the real test. This week is fresher's week so, in the main, only first years will be in. First years tend to live in halls, which are generally on campus or in the city centre, so they would be less likely to use the U2 in any event.

It might pick up this afternoon as first years drag themselves out of bed to go to freshers fair etc. however I don't think we can draw conclusions til next week, when the chaos will ensue!

Thanks for the clarification - having seen the throngs on the Bristol U1 last week, I wondered if the academic year had advanced. When I was a student (some years ago), it was usually last week Sep for Freshers, and first week of Oct, everyone else, so that still stands for Bath.

So yes, could be rather busy next week as the second/third years reappear.