• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

ooo

I saw 4/5 MMCs (3/4 Bristol Uni Bus and 1 Lilac Front) heading towards Bristol along the A38 just south of the airport at about 5pm. Anyone have an idea of what they were doing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D2007wsm

Established Member
There was a private hire running in Brean and Burnham.

There was 2 Scania E400s, 3 Bristol Uni Bus E400MMCs and 2 Excel E400s

Luk3y

There is a grey and orange e400mmc with bath unibus branding sitting in the paint shop in avonmouth, couldn’t see the fleet number, will look tomorrow

carlberry

Established Member
There is a grey and orange e400mmc with bath unibus branding sitting in the paint shop in avonmouth, couldn’t see the fleet number, will look tomorrow
Hopefully being freshened up for the Metrobus launch later this month.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Personally I haven't seen 36801/2/3/5/7 for a while so perhaps they've left Bath now. Also the Scanias that were at Wells have come to Bath.

spw24

36801 is now in m3 livery dark grey metro bus and green corners and roof it's in Lawrence hill depot this morning

Tommy Walters

Would anyone like to speculate how long the Bath Uni bendis are likely to last? They seem to be dying off in the rest of the First empire.

I suspect that 10036 may have been withdrawn. I haven't seen it since the new uni term started.

With the new U1 timetable, I believe that there are only 4 extra boards in the peaks, so whether these will be covered by bendis or 36813-6/36824 it remains to be seen.

Bristol LH

36802 and 36805 are in Lawrence Hill tonight still orange and grey from Bath.
Both were used yesterday on an Arriva Trains Wales rail replacement contract between Ebbw Vale and Cardiff, with 33944, 33949, 33950, 36818 and 36820.

36802 was a stand-by vehicle at Cardiff.

ATW158Xpress

Both were used yesterday on an Arriva Trains Wales rail replacement contract between Ebbw Vale and Cardiff, with 33944, 33949, 33950, 36818 and 36820.

36802 was a stand-by vehicle at Cardiff.
They were working the Cwmbran - Newport shuttes the last 2 weeks and look smart Metrobus seats inside with red handles.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Checked and it was 36803/36807 still working in Bath on Monday. Looks like the receipt of 36813/4 and the PVR reduction will allow that batch to receive the appropriate metrobus livery.

I too wonder about whether we will see the bendis back next academic year. They are expensive to run but then again, they still have depreciation on them (I suspect) and they only operate peak extras for which their capacity is beneficial.

Beginning to wonder what the long term destination is for 36808 etc. Perhaps a repaint for m2 but that's only probably 5 vehicles (based on the 903) so maybe some onto the m1 until CT get their gas buses, and then ending up on one of the city services? I had hoped the X39 but evidently, nine year old re-engined B9s are the future there.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Check your maths :oops:;)

12 x ex A1 Eclipses
3 x Solars
2 x older Eclipses
Thanks, I've had a recount!
Actually forgot it was 12 former airport buses, not 11. So that accounts for all then. Still a little surprised the three scanias were chosen for the services but there you go.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks, I've had a recount!
Actually forgot it was 12 former airport buses, not 11. So that accounts for all then. Still a little surprised the three scanias were chosen for the services but there you go.

Yeah, we’ve all fallen into that trap on occasion - I know I have.

Like you, I was surprised that the Solars were so treated but based purely on my experience of 65725, seem to be relatively lightly used in the past. I’d wondered if they might head to the 72 to replace 66723/4 et al but obviously not.

Another question(s) to the assembled board participants - is there any confirmed news on the conversion of the 172-4 to deckers - is it 368** e400 operation during the summer? Which B9s are lined up to be refurbished? Where are Wells’ Eclipses heading? Just wondering!

As always, the latter part of the year will be an interesting set of cascades etc!

Westonian

A contract for Gullivers Sports Travel fpr Burnham-on-Sea Rugby Festival, providing shuttle buses between Pontins, Brean and Burnham RFU ground. At least 4 Excel E400s on it yesterday.

ooo

A contract for Gullivers Sports Travel fpr Burnham-on-Sea Rugby Festival, providing shuttle buses between Pontins, Brean and Burnham RFU ground. At least 4 Excel E400s on it yesterday.

Thanks to both of you.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Abus were using the Urban liveried decker they acquired today on the 349, minus 'First' branding. Looked like it was a Trident with a President body, but didn't catch the reg.

diffywood

Some hints on what is happening when the m1 is bedded inFB_IMG_1525862468896.jpg

http://www.bradleystokejournal.co.uk/2018/06/03/first-bus-hints-existing-services-metrobus-starts/

Plenty of people have raised concerns about what will happen to existing local bus services once MetroBus starts operating. Up until now, First West of England has been saying it is “too early to say” what might happen to Bradley Stoke’s 73 and X73 services.

With the MetroBus service now having taken a step closer to starting, we asked First Bus for an update on its plans for our current local services. A spokesperson told the Journal:

Last edited:

LeoColgan

32012 was full and standing on the "1" coming into Weston town this morning.

Does anyone have an updated Weston PVR list post town service changes?

jw

The 73 provides an invaluable link to East Filton and Parkway Station, not just Bradley Stoke, as well as general capacity on the Filton Avenue/Gloucester Road corridor, so I'd be very disappointed if this was significantly degraded in any way.

This is even more apparent in the summer months when the 70/71 reduce in frequency due to UWE being on break.

D2007wsm

Established Member
32012 was full and standing on the "1" coming into Weston town this morning.

Does anyone have an updated Weston PVR list post town service changes?
If my Maths is correct lol it should be 55, broken down into:
  • 12 B7TLs
    • 1 for W1 (Open Top)
    • 8 for W7
    • 3 for 20 (2 x Open Top)
  • 6 Darts
    • W3
  • 2 E200s
    • W5
  • 2 E200MMCs
    • A3
  • 29 E400s
    • X1/X2/X3/X4 = 19
    • X5 = 5
    • X6/X7/X9 = 6
  • 4 Streetlites
    • A2 = 1
    • X6/X7/X8/X9 = 3
Total: 14 singles and 41 deckers.

On the 27/05/18, this will increase overall by 2 to 57 with 1 extra bus on the W1, 2 extra buses on the 20 and the A2 withdrawn.

Class 33

Established Member
Can anyone confirm if the double deckers are now on the 173 & 174? I might take a trip from Bristol-Wells via Bath soon if so. But if the Eclipse's are still on these services, I'll give it a miss for now!

Also is Bristol going to get any more BioBuses? We've only got just the one so far, operating on the 1 & 2. I've had a couple of rides on it, and they are nice buses. Albeit though my journeys on it have been very short distance journeys between Broadmead/Centre and Clifton Down Station, and the buses were very packed at the time. Would be nice to get some longer journeys on it/them and not so packed out. But I don't really want to spend potentially hours trying to hunt the existing one down to be able get a decent journey on it!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Can anyone confirm if the double deckers are now on the 173 & 174? I might take a trip from Bristol-Wells via Bath soon if so. But if the Eclipse's are still on these services, I'll give it a miss for now!

Also is Bristol going to get any more BioBuses? We've only got just the one so far, operating on the 1 & 2. I've had a couple of rides on it, and they are nice buses. Albeit though my journeys on it have been very short distance journeys between Broadmead/Centre and Clifton Down Station, and the buses were very packed at the time. Would be nice to get some longer journeys on it/them and not so packed out. But I don't really want to spend potentially hours trying to hunt the existing one down to be able get a decent journey on it!

The 172-4 are still Eclipses. Might change after end May when the changes to various routes take place; even then, it might be e400mmcs for a while until the Geminis get sorted.

As for CNG e400s, there are 110 due over the next three years but what the split by year is hasn’t been announced.