• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Dai Corner

Established Member
Hmm.. So singles on the A2 Air Connect are £4.50 compared with £7 on the Airport Flyer. On top of that, West of England tickets are vaild on the A2. I predict the A2 being severely overcrowded and a rethink of the fare structure by Christmas!

The A1 is more frequent but doesn't appear to be any faster (depending on where you want to go in the City centre, obviously).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Trying to get people to use buses is indeed no bad thing but it has to be realised that, for some people, the car is still an essential for people who live in rural areas where any bus service provided may not attract enough usage to keep it going. Therefore the road network which gives access to central Bristol should be kept open rather than be constantly obstructed and made difficult to use. Also I work near Temple Meads but on flexible hours meaning that I don't always arrive back at base and park up in time to get the last bus / train home. Taxis are too expensive (£10) and I may be too tired to cycle. The car therefore is an essential part of my commute on most days.

Dave

I am going to talk from a position of hypocrisy on this. The fact is that we can all point to the reasons why our car is essential. It's my job or the shopping or whatever. The fact is that once you have a car, it automatically influences where and how you live. I live out in the countryside near Radstock and work in Emersons so that's three buses. Of course, it was having the car in the first place that meant that living in the sticks was possible.

The harsh reality is that you can not build more and more roads and hope to build your way out of trouble. The SBLR is already busy as people realise that they can use that route and so more journey opportunities are created. Nor is every journey possibility going to be catered for by public transport - it doesn't work that way. What public transport needs to do is to improve it's connectivity - to provide options for the most likely journeys. How many people drive each day into the centre of Bristol when they could use a local bus or even a P&R?

We have reached a point in Bristol where we cannot accommodate more cars on the roads and can't build our way out of trouble. Something has to change and that is better public transport and ensuring that buses are not trapped in the same jams as cars, whether that be with red routes and bus only routes.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Hmm.. So singles on the A2 Air Connect are £4.50 compared with £7 on the Airport Flyer. On top of that, West of England tickets are vaild on the A2. I predict the A2 being severely overcrowded and a rethink of the fare structure by Christmas!

The A1 is more frequent but doesn't appear to be any faster (depending on where you want to go in the City centre, obviously).

Bit surprised that it's even running into the city centre. Why not just run it to Bemmie and loop it round Redcliffe Bridge?

LeylandLynx

So apparently the local ward councillors were very underwhelmed with the 51 replacement offer by First, complaining about the lack of trips to Hengrove Park, the lower frequency and lack of evening and weekend services. They found another company (presumably Stagecoach) to run a full replacement, but they said they could not compete with First. So the councillors asked First to withdraw the 2A, but First refused. But if Stagecoach (or whoever) really wanted the 51, they should have registered it before First, shouldn't have they? And if CT Plus or Abus were the operators who offered the replacement, then I think people are sorely mistaken if they think they will provide a better service.

carlberry

Established Member
So apparently the local ward councillors were very underwhelmed with the 51 replacement offer by First, complaining about the lack of trips to Hengrove Park, the lower frequency and lack of evening and weekend services. They found another company (presumably Stagecoach) to run a full replacement, but they said they could not compete with First. So the councillors asked First to withdraw the 2A, but First refused. But if Stagecoach (or whoever) really wanted the 51, they should have registered it before First, shouldn't have they? And if CT Plus or Abus were the operators who offered the replacement, then I think people are sorely mistaken if they think they will provide a better service.
That does sound a bit like a fob off. I cant see anybody else actually wanting to run the full thing so the 'we would, if First stop running' line would be a good one to play knowing that First are not just going to turn around and say 'Sure, help yourselves! Do you want to stop picking up on the Wells Road as well!'.

If the councillors really want to see improved services they could put their efforts into promoting what they've got instead of picking holes in it!

swifty

Established Member

Wasn’t it widely reported before the 2A started, that apart from First, no other operators had any interest in providing a replacement?

LeylandLynx

Wasn’t it widely reported before the 2A started, that apart from First, no other operators had any interest in providing a replacement?

That's what I thought too, but the local councillors started negotiating with other companies when they weren't happy with what First were offering. And according to them, after negotiations, another company (whom they did not name) offered a full replacement on the condition First dropped the 2A, as it ran on the route and times that produced the highest turnover. And they're also worried about poor reliability, even though the Wessex 51 was at times unreliable as hell.

LAIRA

I have been to Swindon,Bath & Bristol today what a contrast. Both main operaters in Swindon operating smart buses and in particular Stagecoach Gold buses that were gleaming and although still quite new looked as if they were going to be cared for.
Then you go to Bath the main service to Bristol Direct worked by some 59 deckers and mainly ex London 53 plates. Well they really looked scruffy after Swindon. Most other Bath buses also very scruffy with diesel stains down the sides of many buses where they had been overfilled and no attempt to clean up afterwards.
This trend also continued in Bristol and even the new Metro Buses & 17/67 plates on the new services to Yate were nowhere near the condition of any Swindon bus.
No wonder First are such a mess because this is suppose to be one of the better companies.
Roll on when Go ahead or Stagecoach can get their hand on some of these First companies and give them a good shake up.
Rant Over

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I have been to Swindon,Bath & Bristol today what a contrast. Both main operaters in Swindon operating smart buses and in particular Stagecoach Gold buses that were gleaming and although still quite new looked as if they were going to be cared for.
Then you go to Bath the main service to Bristol Direct worked by some 59 deckers and mainly ex London 53 plates. Well they really looked scruffy after Swindon. Most other Bath buses also very scruffy with diesel stains down the sides of many buses where they had been overfilled and no attempt to clean up afterwards.
This trend also continued in Bristol and even the new Metro Buses & 17/67 plates on the new services to Yate were nowhere near the condition of any Swindon bus.
No wonder First are such a mess because this is suppose to be one of the better companies.
Roll on when Go ahead or Stagecoach can get their hand on some of these First companies and give them a good shake up.
Rant Over

Some fair points though perhaps a tad harsh in others.

Stagecoach Swindon has a very smart set of Gold deckers with the 66 plates (55) and 18 plates (S6). Not been on the S6 ones yet but the 55 examples are superb. However, you're seeing the fleet at its best. Should you have visited a couple of months ago and the 61 plates were still on the S6 (or 66 as it was then), then you'd have seen some very battle scarred vehicles with scuffs, ill matched panels, peeling vinyls etc. I had one at Easter that was taking in water like no-ones business on the front offside dome. Also, whilst the double deck fleet is quite good, it is balanced out by some very old and tatty Darts. I did a trip out on Stagecoach a few months ago with a big circular route from Trowbridge (train to BPW) and then via Parkway, Dursley, Cheltenham, Ciren, Swindon and back to Trowbridge and had a very peachy ex Busways Dart from Ciren to Swindon. Yes, it would doubtless be due for withdrawal soon (think it's still going though) but it was really faded internally and out and was very rough.

The comparison with FWoE is interesting and certainly with Bath, the presentation is often pretty terrible. As you say, diesel stains are a common badge of honour. Bristol is invariably better though even with a noticeable difference between LH and HE depots. Where First get it right, they really have improved - the refurbished Discover services, the relaunched Mendip Explorer services, etc.

However, there are a great many areas that they need to resolve and that is without the issues of crippling traffic congestion AND continuing driver shortages. The X39 is a long running bugbear of mine and yes, I cannot fathom how it hasn't got better vehicles on it than 09 plate B9TLs. All right as a stop gap to manage the growth in patronage but that's two years at least. I could get into a whingeathon about the other problems but then again, the operations are moving in the right direction. The issue with driver shortages is very regrettable and they should be looking at some other measures to help ease the pressure. Congestion is the killer at the moment and is palpably worse. Perhaps worth another look in a years' time and see how things have changed.

carlberry

Established Member
I really don't understand the background to this!
Assuming it's been properly reported (And as it's via the Evening Post that's not a good starting point!) JF has only realised in the last week that Bristol has problems with traffic congestion. This after he's been here several years this time and was here for many years previously! It was good he did it on a Saturday as, I understand, on the Sunday he was going to visit a Catholic church in Bristol to investigate claims the pope may be involved with them in some way, followed by an oversees visit to discover what bears visit woods for.
Also the next time anybody from First is negotiating running times with the union the union is just going to produce the article and say 'this guy agrees with us that the running times cant be achieved!'
Even the bit about 'I've got a PCV licence' is a bit poor as, back in NBC days, anybody who wanted a management post had to get one and have actually used in in anger if they wanted to progress. Some of the larger companies still make people do it so they understand where the money comes from and what the staff have to put up with. (Theres also the other side of it being useful to cover strikes however it was always a poor tool for that).

carlberry

Established Member
Rant Over
As also referenced by TGW, the Stagecoach double deck fleet in Swindon may be good however the single deck fleet is the opposite with loads of vintage darts and, from memory, nothing newer than 7 years old.

swifty

Established Member
As expected 47558 has been branded up in airconnect livery ready for the A2.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Looks like they'll still need some extra resource to operate that - The U2 every 10 minutes will need a PVR of at least 6, plus all the U1 extras!!

As always, the issue is about getting sufficient drivers more than vehicles. I know they're recruiting like mad (wonder what the employee churn rate is like?) but are they exhausting the pool locally? Mentioned it before but is there any mileage in having an outstation in Yate to operate the Lynx routes, recruiting drivers locally and perhaps reducing the strain on LH depot a little?

Can the X31 evening and Sunday routes be done by Westbury? Think that's a Bath duty (at least on a Sunday).

Last edited:

freetoview33

Established Member
As always, the issue is about getting sufficient drivers more than vehicles. I know they're recruiting like mad (wonder what the employee churn rate is like?) but are they exhausting the pool locally? Mentioned it before but is there any mileage in having an outstation in Yate to operate the Lynx routes, recruiting drivers locally and perhaps reducing the strain on LH depot a little?

Can the X31 evening and Sunday routes be done by Westbury? Think that's a Bath duty (at least on a Sunday).
I think there is a need for a new outstation or even a full blown depot, (I think the best place personally would be around Westerleigh way) As it could take on Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4, Y5, Y6, 35, 48, 49, M3, could also allow in future for First to take on Stagecoach in Yate. Then if need be allow LH to take on the 39, X39 from Bath, to allow Bath to take on this extra work.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Small Streetlites on the cheapest route from the city centre to the airport? This is going to end in tears!
I think so too. I can't see the liking for the Street s***e TBH as I don't think they are very good vehicles as they lack decent engines for doing out-of-city routes. Enviro200 MMC buses of a decent length would be better IMO.

Dave

carlberry

Established Member
I think there is a need for a new outstation or even a full blown depot, (I think the best place personally would be around Westerleigh way) As it could take on Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4, Y5, Y6, 35, 48, 49, M3, could also allow in future for First to take on Stagecoach in Yate. Then if need be allow LH to take on the 39, X39 from Bath, to allow Bath to take on this extra work.
If First want to 'take on Stagecoach in Yate' they don't need a depot, just the willingness to put in a cheaper bid next time round. However, as they've had a pop at most of the routes fairly recently, I suspect they'll have other priorities.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

They won't have a full depot - JF has already said so. The cost would be prohibitive. I was thinking something more like Westbury and located around Station Road to improve the catchment area.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Just passed a convoy of 4 (ex) London deckers on the M4 near Leigh Delamere viz

PN09EKT
LJ54BFL
VLE36
WVL32

The two regs are right but not certain I’ve remembered the other two right. LJ is in Ensignbus colours so are the others Ensign? Wondering if they’re for First - if not, apologise for posting here.

carlberry

Established Member
Just passed a convoy of 4 (ex) London deckers on the M4 near Leigh Delamere viz

PN09EKT
LJ54BFL
VLE36
WVL32

The two regs are right but not certain I’ve remembered the other two right. LJ is in Ensignbus colours so are the others Ensign? Wondering if they’re for First - if not, apologise for posting here.
There is a serious need for buses to pretend to be trains in Bristol from Saturday. I wonder if First has sub contracted a lot of it to Ensign to get rid of the resource problem?

swifty

Established Member
There is a serious need for buses to pretend to be trains in Bristol from Saturday. I wonder if First has sub contracted a lot of it to Ensign to get rid of the resource problem?

A lot of ex London stock has come down from Ensign on hire. B7 Presidents/ELC/Wright as well as numerous Scania deckers as well.

I’d imagine Rail Support would be able to procure drivers if needed?