• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Private Baxter

Established Member
26 May - reported by Whiteway #19595

66728 on D3 today - looking shabby
That makes sense. Now that I think about it, it was a bank holiday weekend.

Most of that batch I'm sorry to say are looking shabby and neglected (those that are in barbie at least). Other than 66732 which us reasonably tidy, the rest could really do with some tlc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whiteway215

Established Member
30875 on 19A merry-go-round services today and 30877 on Weds.Still find it remarkable these Kernow rejects are entrusted to these long out of town routes.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Spotted one of the airport e400mmc’s, and one of the pink streetlights parked up in the Avonmouth paint shop this evening. Anyone got any thoughts why?
Don’t know about the Airport Flyer Scania E400, but the Mticket pink Streetlite May be the one from Weston which sustained some accident damage I believe.

vicbury

My mother travelled from Bath to Bristol on the 39 yesterday morning and stated it was busy, and a good job it was a double decker!

It would have been busier too, in my opinion, if it had run later into the evening, perhaps until 10pm rather than 6/7pm. That put off my friend from visiting from Bath.

vicbury

37763 has broken down on the Bath Road at the Arnos Court junction. Causing long delays outbound. A breakdown lorry from Avon Commercial is in attendance.

AB93

They seem to have got quite adaptive in Bristol with the Leeds Geminis, as yesterday one of the vehicles was running on the 1 displaying "City Centre, The Headrow 1". So I'm guessing that some may have had the desty reprogrammed whereas others haven't yet.

All of the Leeds buses had the Bristol blinds uploaded.

Are you sure it wasn't displaying "City Centre, The Horsefair 1"?

The 1 in Leeds traverses only a very short stretch of The Headrow and doesn't serve the stops there.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Are you sure it wasn't displaying "City Centre, The Horsefair 1"?

I'm 100% for deffinate that the one I saw had "City Centre, The Headrow 1" on the blind as I was focusing on the "The Headrow" bit on it. I did attemt to get a photo but by the time my camera had fired up the bus had already passed. It'll have been changed now though.

Whiteway215

Established Member
https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-...onfirmation-bath-university-service-changes-6

Confirmation of changes to the Bath U1/2 announced today, including an introduction of a service R2 for Ralph Allen School. Looks as if the PVR for the U1 is 20 (8 E400 + 12 Bendis), and for the U2 - 7, so some extra vehicle resource may be needed for that!!
If Bath require extra vehicle resource for the U2, will there be any surplus buses available because of any service changes in Bristol from 6th Jan?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
If Bath require extra vehicle resource for the U2, will there be any surplus buses available because of any service changes in Bristol from 6th Jan?

Think the 90 loses one (Streetdeck) and the 36 loses one (StreetLite). Not certain what the changes to the 2a/50/50a release. Of course, there are still vehicles on loan from Dawson’s so who knows!

Class 33

Established Member
Looking forward to the heritage buses operating on the 376 tomorrow! I plan to get an RE from Bristol-Wells, and then get the same one back again. An RE all the way to Wells and back is going to be awesome! You don't get chances like this very often! And later on, I might also go down to Wells and back during the late afternoon/early evening as well, to experience journeys on these heritage buses in the dark too, with their superb dim interior lighting! You don't get chances like this very often either!

One thing that is concerning for me tomorrow though is the need for comfort breaks if you're out on the road for 2 to 3 hours or so. Anyone know if the toilets at Wells Bus Station are likely to be open tomorrow? And if so, what time would they close?

henairs

Hi,
Expect Tesco will be open until 1600 which is directly opposite the bus station and as already mentioned the Quarter Jack ( Weatherspoons) which is just around the corner by the garage.
If you've not been before turn left from bus station entrance then right after 200 yards and it's a few more paces set back on the right hand side.
Have a good trip and hope the RE behaves well,
Cheers, Mike R

freetoview33

Established Member
Hi,
Expect Tesco will be open until 1600 which is directly opposite the bus station and as already mentioned the Quarter Jack ( Weatherspoons) which is just around the corner by the garage.
If you've not been before turn left from bus station entrance then right after 200 yards and it's a few more paces set back on the right hand side.
Have a good trip and hope the RE behaves well,
Cheers, Mike R
Tesco is shut tomorrow!

Class 33

Established Member
If not you could always use the ones in Wetherspoons across the road

Yep, could do. Although with the journeys I've got planned it would only leave just a 10 or 15 minute break at Wells, which might not be quite enough time to get over to Wetherspoons and back to use the facilities. Also I doubt they'll be open as early as 10am.

Tesco would have been an option. But as mentioned, that will be shut all day tomorrow.

I highly expect the toilets at Well Bus Station(and indeed the toilets in Glastonbury and Street too) will not be open. As I doubt the council would bother opening them as they'll expect hardly anyone to be about. Plus the council workers probably won't even be working tomorrow to open and close them anyway!

Hmmm..... This could be a bit of a nuisance and inconvenience unfortunately for anyone planning on doing any of these journeys tomorrow. A bit of precaution will be necessary, otherwise you'll have some trouble. Don't take any drinks with you. Don't have anything to drink a couple of hours or so before you set off(but then not having to drink for a few hours or more, you could get a little dehydrated!!) And only have something very light to eat before you set off!

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
Yep, could do. Although with the journeys I've got planned it would only leave just a 10 or 15 minute break at Wells, which might not be quite enough time to get over to Wetherspoons and back to use the facilities. Also I doubt they'll be open as early as 10am.

Tesco would have been an option. But as mentioned, that will be shut all day tomorrow.

I highly expect the toilets at Well Bus Station(and indeed the toilets in Glastonbury and Street too) will not be open. As I doubt the council would bother opening them as they'll expect hardly anyone to be about. Plus the council workers probably won't even be working tomorrow to open and close them anyway!

Hmmm..... This could be a bit of a nuisance and inconvenience unfortunately for anyone planning on doing any of these journeys tomorrow. A bit of precaution will be necessary, otherwise you'll have some trouble. Don't take any drinks with you. Don't have anything to drink a couple of hours or so before you set off(but then not having to drink for a few hours or more, you could get a little dehydrated!!) And only have something very light to eat before you set off!
Remember the drivers will be in the same situation. (perhaps some random stops in the countryside may be required!)

Class 33

Established Member
Remember the drivers will be in the same situation. (perhaps some random stops in the countryside may be required!)

Yes, might have to. Not very professional really. But ....... when there's no public toilets available to use.....

I'm about to set off for a return journey to Wells on a superb Bristol RE. Should be an awesome nostalgic journey. But not so confident about the lack of toilets available today.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Hello all - a little bit late but a review of the year just gone and some wayward predictions for the year to come:

The Review of 2018

It was another eventful year across First's ops in the South West and Wales

First Kernow received more new fleet...a number of e400s were already expected but there were thoughts of a few e200s as well. In the event, there was much more than that with a healthy number of short e200s arriving to provide much needed quality on routes bumping along with Caetano Darts. The biggest surprise being that those vehicles, excellent condition and all, were then sent to Glasgow! As well as lots of new vehicles, FK also received a load of Trident 2s, all ex London but via Norwich and/or Dorset. These allowed the culling of older Tridents and B7TLs (with hired aged fleet deputising for expired examples whilst the new fleet was due) with various Solos and Darts sent to Somerset. At the end of the year, it appeared that the ex Essex coaches would finally be resuscitated, being refurbished to help replace the now elderly Irizars. A slightly surprising move was the rebranding of the Lizard services with a new livery to boot. The main downside was the continued unreliability of the Mousehole Solo fleet.

Buses of Somerset had a quiet year. There were some upsides as South West Coaches surrendered their Sturminster Newton to Yeovil service, and the immediate cessation of Nippy Bus brought a short lived return to Coker and Martock, plus some ex Crosville schools services. However, for every bit of new work, it seemed something else was trimmed to accommodate it. The fleet changes were limited too.... elderly Solos at Yeovil replaced by some a bit newer, the last remaining Eclipses replaced by Kernow Solars and some more modern ex dealer e200s, and a few odd Darts sent up from Kernow. However, the increase in buses being sent in and left in First colours (rather than BoS) seemed to point to an operation in torpor, possibly diverted more by the riches of Somerset Passenger Solutions?

First Cymru had a very quiet first half of the year, with limited service and fleet developments. Most changes were service rationalisations and allowed some older Darts to be sacrificed, helped by receiving a few ex Weymouth Eclipses. Only when Andrew Sherrington was elevated from First Bath did we begin to see some more intriguing changes. The X10 received refurbished Volvo coaches to replace ageing Irizars. However, it was the introduction of a new livery and local identities that saw some of the FWoE experience being employed, with United Welsh and Swansea & The Bay being new names and Volvo Eclipses being suitably refreshed.

First Hampshire and Dorset had an expected quiet year though in Southampton, there were the biggest changes. The ill fated Brock College contract was surrendered, and they pulled out of various schools contracts as well as trimming back other routes whilst Bluestar were emboldened to increase competition in the city. Meanwhile, Pompey and Hoeford carried on much as before with just a few bits of nipping and tucking. Weymouth, scarred by the issues of the previous Summer, just hunkered down though they did have the benefit of receiving the former Green Line B9TLs, allowing the Tridents to be largely moved on.

First West of England had a very busy year. metrobus was delayed and delayed but eventually, the m2 was chosen and then unchosen as there were clearance issues with the guided busway. The m3 was instead the first route that began, seeing off the X48. More interestingly was the announcement that the m1 was to be operated by CT Plus for First - now due for the 6 Jan 2019. The other big news was the departure of Crosville and Wessex from the local scene. This increased the First PVR and driver complement as they selectively took on routes in Weston, Bath and Bristol, with other routes passing to Stagecoach and CT Plus in the main. That necessitated the retention of fleet due to move on to other opcos and the oldest deckers even being joined by more displaced from Kernow. However, this was unable to cope with massively increased student requirements in Bath (aided by a driver shortage) where First were massively embarrassed. This was assisted by sending down bendis from Aberdeen and has since has been followed selected reductions and retrenchments across the city. Major service developments were the Airport Flyer service getting new deckers, allowing the Eclipses to be cascaded to the relaunched and enhanced Discover Wiltshire services. Similarly, Badgerline reappeared for the Weston local services. The services to Thornbury were enhanced using some of the metrobus infrastructure, being relaunched with the Yate routes as South Glos Lynx. Meanwhile, Wells routes continued to grow with the Bath service now requiring deckers in the form of refurbed B9s. Bath gained extra work from Wessex's demise so the new Solos were additional rather than the envisaged replacements for the 2005 examples.

The Predictions made for 2018.... :oops::rolleyes::lol::o

First Kernow will get their new vehicles and they'll be concentrated on the Newquay to Truro corridor (e400). e200 may arrive for the A17 although perhaps we'll see something shorter for the Fowey service? Again, can't see much in service development and fleet replacement will be modest in cascades - some of the Darts/Solos on regular service are getting on now. Hopefully, that will see the end of the Mk1 Tridents and most of the W reg B7TLs.

The delayed e400s were, of course, expected and were indeed concentrated onto the Newquay to Truro routes but also on the linked Newquay to St Austell and the Bodmin to Truro routes. e200s weren't confirmed at that point and when they did come, were much more numerous than anticipated (certainly more than modest) so really did begin weeding out the Solos and Darts. We did see shorter e200s for the Fowey service, so that was right, just that we also had them for North Cornwall and many other locations though not for the A17 (which will get Solos soon). However, we did see the Mk1 Tridents go and the W reg B7TLs (though some were retained for DTVs). There wasn't much in terms of service development, the only real development being the Lizard routes being rebranded.

BoS - don't see much happening at all other than continued retraction - wait for the Wellington service to be reduced next. The announced reductions will see more B7RLEs head to other OpCos as their thirsty nature and increasing maintenance costs prove too much for frugal Somersetshire. I predicted it last year but I'd expect the Yeovil Solos to be culled though not certain what with - short e200s ex Taunton?

Fairly much on the money. Yes, some expansion at the expense of NippyBus but it was a case of getting more out of fewer vehicles. The Wellington service did escape any cuts though. The B7RLEs had already begun to disappear to other opcos and so it wasn't a great stretch to see the others head north, mainly to West Yorkshire, with their replacements (some fairly modern e200s) being a rare highlight in the year. The Yeovil Solos were indeed culled but using newer Solos sent from in elsewhere.

First Cymru - having been largely immune from First Group pressures, I fear more cost cutting especially to those services outside Swansea, perhaps in the Llynfi and Neath Valleys especially. No new vehicles unless it's for Unibus or the Cardiff service.

Well, not far wrong on those predictions. No new buses did arrive, with the Cardiff express receiving some refurbed coaches. And yes, there were a few changes and the Neath Valley did get some trimming!

First Hampshire and Dorset - no new vehicles other than the 3 for Eclipse, and some losses of newer fleet to enable other OpCos to be modernised so see where some Solo SRs and Streetlites end up. They may even make a decision about the B7TLs that were laid up a year ago! The X51/X53 will be restored but expect a much shorter summer season in Weymouth as everything is built around schools/Brock College.

Clearly, the Brock College bit was wrong as it was surrendered and the X51/X53 wasn't uplifted for the summer. However, the summer season was more restricted than previously as I suggested. The absence of new vehicles was pretty obvious to be fair. They did lose some fleet to other OpCos (the cuts had already been announced) but they were some older B7RLEs rather than Streetlites as I suspected.

First West of England - again, so dependant on Metrobus. Expect my predicted chops to the 90 and X48 etc. Wouldn't be surprised to see the 35 lost and even more cuts to non core services like the 36 or 82. Bristol will see the first tranche of Biobuses in late 2018, allowing some major reductions in B7TLs, being sent across the group to replace older examples elsewhere.

No changes now to Wells services (what can they realistically do, now the 175 has gone) and Weston looks like it may be more stable. Expect Bath to have service revisions with reductions on the 3 and 4, possibly allied to larger vehicles? May also be the last year of bendis with deckers preferred.

Well Metrobus did finally appear and did remove the X48, though that was again fairly obvious. The m1 didn't appear and even now it has been announced, the 90 will remain relatively unscathed. My hunch about the 36 being cut has turned out to be the case, though the 35 has survived and the 82 has actually improved! As for Bath, well the 3 has had some changes - more a case of selective reductions at Elmhurst and Bathford whilst the main body of the service is retained. The cascades from Bristol clearly couldn't take place given the increased post Wessex PVR, and we also saw MORE bendis not FEWER.

So as ever, a goodly mix of the wrong and right!! So what about 2019......?

First Kernow is already confirmed in receiving new Optare Solos for the A17. However, I will suggest that some will be placed onto the M6 if only to restore some reliability to that route.

BoS will continue to drift aimlessly. The Taunton P&R (saved once already) will be binned as the money runs out and I still reckon the Wellington service may be cut to 20 min frequency (and the Tiverton extension will also go). The Solars will be moved on as more e200s are found from across the empire.

First Cymru will roll out more new identities though with the same base livery. However, think that there will be other specific route brandings and relaunches, such as Cymru Clipper. I think they may get some modern cascades such as Streetlites from WoE (not just being exchanged with Welsh e200s) and perhaps some new fleet for Swansea (e200mmc).

First Hampshire and Dorset is already confirmed to receive new fleet for the Portsmouth Star fleet in line with age stipulations. The Star Streetlites will head to Hoeford to enable the Omnicities to head en masse to Essex, joining their brethren there. Southampton will continue to muddle along, battling the Bluestar bid for supremacy by hunkering down. As for Hoeford and Wessex, I suspect that there will be some bigger cuts to locals, releasing Solos for reallocation elsewhere.

First West of England - well, who knows? I still think the 90 will be reduced in frequency. I still think the 35 will be relinquished and the new 96 will decline before withdrawal in 2019/20. I also think the 42 will be withdrawn in Bath, with the 4 doing the honours instead. Balancing things up, I think Abus may actually decide to finally close up, with the X8 and 349 passing back to First, the latter being rebranded. There will be some major fleet changes this year.... The CNG e400s will begin to arrive so B9s can be reallocated across the city. This will allow the culling of the W reg B7TLs eventually! Some Streetdecks will be released to other opcos (Leicester, Norwich?). I also think there will be some despatch of 66723, 66937 and other barbie Eclipses to other opcos and the last Darts will also go. I also think that there will be more e200s to Bath sourced from across the empire to allow the release of 63*** Streetlites to other opcos, with the shorter Streetlites also continuing to be moved on.

As always, these are just guesses. Whatever happens, who can say and I have no actual knowledge or insight (as we all know :D:D:D) so let's see what happens. Whatever does happen, I hope you all have a wonderful new year and a hale and healthy 2019 and, as the late Dave Allen used to say, may your god go with you!

Whiteway215

Established Member
GW, I heartily enjoy your review of the year and predictions for 2019. I also hope and pray no more E200s come to Bath in 2019! I know you say these are guesses/predictions but I wondered what your reasoning was behind the long Streetlites 63068 etc being moved on.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Not sure if this has been reported previously in the forum (I'm too tired to scroll back through several pages) but apparently so many students have complained about the U1 in Bath being diverted from Dorchester Street that First are on talks of putting it back to the former route! That's students for you I guess; its hardly a mountain bike!

GW - it's funny how you still have a thought that the 90 will decrease even further in frequency, and I agree. Obviously we were all shocked when the ten Streetdecks arrived in shiny red colours but then we lost 35148 to Wells and 35149 to Norwich (and spare 35150), so clearly it isn't quite the success First had in mind. Personally, I think the 90 could just become a bog standard route again (i.e. no branded buses etc), as it's not the key route between the city centre and Hengrove, and then 35140-35147 could join the remaining Streetdecks at Lawrence Hill for the 70/71, as that would be an exact replacement for the eight that have gone to Bath for P&R (35110-35116/35139). The 70 has started to become a mixed bag route again like the 19 was at one time now that its a new academic year at UWE. I still find it a little odd to this day that the 42-45 and the 75/76 are not branded routes yet the 90 and the 3/4 are (the latter of which I forgot to mention is having an abysmal reduction in frequency).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
GW, I heartily enjoy your review of the year and predictions for 2019. I also hope and pray no more E200s come to Bath in 2019! I know you say these are guesses/predictions but I wondered what your reasoning was behind the long Streetlites 63068 etc being moved on.

The only reasoning being that FWoE have offloaded a number of the shorter Streetlites already to Glasgow and Wales, these are the longer wheelbase versions that sometimes struggle with parts of the 4, and that the First fleet nationally has a lot of thirsty B7Ls to replace and there would be a welcome home for this one off batch.

Not sure if this has been reported previously in the forum (I'm too tired to scroll back through several pages) but apparently so many students have complained about the U1 in Bath being diverted from Dorchester Street that First are on talks of putting it back to the former route! That's students for you I guess; its hardly a mountain bike!

GW - it's funny how you still have a thought that the 90 will decrease even further in frequency, and I agree. Obviously we were all shocked when the ten Streetdecks arrived in shiny red colours but then we lost 35148 to Wells and 35149 to Norwich (and spare 35150), so clearly it isn't quite the success First had in mind. Personally, I think the 90 could just become a bog standard route again (i.e. no branded buses etc), as it's not the key route between the city centre and Hengrove, and then 35140-35147 could join the remaining Streetdecks at Lawrence Hill for the 70/71, as that would be an exact replacement for the eight that have gone to Bath for P&R (35110-35116/35139). The 70 has started to become a mixed bag route again like the 19 was at one time now that its a new academic year at UWE. I still find it a little odd to this day that the 42-45 and the 75/76 are not branded routes yet the 90 and the 3/4 are (the latter of which I forgot to mention is having an abysmal reduction in frequency).

I think the U1 re-route has been mentioned earlier.

You're exactly on the ball with what I was thinking in terms of the 90 losing its Streetdecks and heading elsewhere, instead receiving B9s displaced from elsewhere in the city. I find it difficult to see how the m1 won't adversely impact the other services locally and the 90 most. I was also wondering if some of the e400mmcs (e.g. 33966-73) from the 1/2 might replace the Wells ones - that might be a stage too far though? However, I was thinking that the Bath e400Hs would be repowered and sent back to Bath to allow the ones you mention to return to the 70/71.