• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Dai Corner

Established Member
Must've missed that. That's been a long standing facility https://www.flickr.com/photos/28431.../photolist-qLw8aV-qTkKAQ-raM5aF-d3bZ7j-4AgRXg

Can only guess as it's cheaper to run across the bridge now, it's not worth the hassle of a very small outbase and trying to cover holidays/sickness etc

This week's N&P includes

Traffic Commissioner for the West of England said:
FIRST WEST OF ENGLAND LIMITED, ENTERPRISE HOUSE, EASTON ROAD, BRISTOL, BS5 0DZ
Operating between Bristol Bus Station and Chepstow Bus Station given service number Severn Express / effective from 28 April 2019. To amend Timetable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
This week's N&P includes

All very topical :lol:

Perhaps they're going to run the positioning services in service. Back in the mists of time the first Chepstow from Bristol was a useful link into South Wales as the Cardiff service didn't start until later. It was always a bit of fun trying to catch it as the drivers tended to leave late then hammer it up Gloucester Road not expecting anybody to want to get on at that time in the morning.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Perhaps they're going to run the positioning services in service. Back in the mists of time the first Chepstow from Bristol was a useful link into South Wales as the Cardiff service didn't start until later. It was always a bit of fun trying to catch it as the drivers tended to leave late then hammer it up Gloucester Road not expecting anybody to want to get on at that time in the morning.
Dunno - of the two AM journeys currently, one starts at Magor so doubt that one will. The other one would be running about 15 mins in front of the 0645 so would it be worth it?

The one back from Magor would also be running behind the 1800 ex Newport but the last one from Bristol to Chepstow..... that might be ok?

Haven't done the 7XP for years. Should really do it before the Welsh demand a back stop!!!

carlberry

Established Member
New North Somerset timetables are on Traveline
However they show Abus still doing the X8 so, I assume, there will be another version sometime.
Dunno - of the two AM journeys currently, one starts at Magor so doubt that one will. The other one would be running about 15 mins in front of the 0645 so would it be worth it?

The one back from Magor would also be running behind the 1800 ex Newport but the last one from Bristol to Chepstow..... that might be ok?

Haven't done the 7XP for years. Should really do it before the Welsh demand a back stop!!!
The timetable for this is now up as well and it's just more running time in the peaks.
Despite First calling it the Severn Express you cant actually find the timetable for it from that on Traveline!

D2007wsm

Established Member
However they show Abus still doing the X8 so, I assume, there will be another version sometime.

The timetable for this is now up as well and it's just more running time in the peaks.
Despite First calling it the Severn Express you cant actually find the timetable for it from that on Traveline!
The original intention was for the X8 to be run by Weston, with the X9 by Abus. So either Traveline have gotten it wrong or the plans have changed.

If you type in 7XP, this will bring up the Severn Express timetable on both the First and Traveline websites. This is how it is displayed on the RTIs and on ticket machines.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Got the 7XP times - first AM journey from Chepstow runs 10 mins earlier with 7 mins extra run time with the Magor one getting an extra 3 mins. Evening Magor gets an extra 9 mins to Chepstow and last Chepstow gets an extra 3 mins - a consequence of extra traffic as the tolls have gone?

The X8/X9 timetable certainly looks....interesting.

Abus X8 at xx.20 and xx.50 from Bristol
First X8 at xx.00 from Bristol
First X9 at xx.15 and xx.45 from Bristol

-Colly405-

There are more significant changes at the weekend.
Saturdays, the 0740 Chepstow - Newport starts back from Bristol at 0645, whilst the 0700 Chepstow - Bristol is cancelled, and there is an extra 1818 Newport - Bristol.
Sundays, the 0845 Chepstow - Bristol and 1845 Bristol - Chepstow are cancelled.

Marcus Fryer

Hi again all ‘Bristolers’ ! On further research today I have noticed there are Rail Replacements this weekend from Bristol to Weston, I assume First will be covering these. Anyone any idea of the vehicles to be used? Last year it was Bristol/Bath Unibus MMCs, Bath Uni ALXs and the Lilac fronted Scania MMCs (now on Metrobus/South Glos) plus various Volvo B7RLEs on the stoppers
Only seen a handful today, but they were all WoE vehicles; 33933 (Portway), 37608 (Uni). 42966 (5), 47557/8 (A2) and 47570. The A2 itself has at least two Geminis.

Only seen a handful today, but they were all WoE vehicles; 33933 (Portway), 37608 (Uni). 42966 (5), 47557/8 (A2) and 47570. The A2 itself has at least two Geminis.

Cheers, I saw a few at Temple Meads - 37608 I think, plus some Volvo B7RLEs. Not sure it they were Ashton Gate Rugby Shuttles, or Rail Replacements, but noted 33940 and another Bris P&R one, the P&R Spare and a Bristol Unibus 3349x departing Hengrove depot around 1200-30.

Some other comments/observations :
-Fishponds Road 33793 made it on the 7XP!
-All 3 Trident Presidents noted, 33158/182 on 75/76 and rather hellfire 33144 on 96. In terms of the VPs, 32229/237/238 on 75/76 with 235 on 90. All bar 235 rode on varying time scales, glad I made the effort for these.
-The Bristolian accents on the m1 are very clear, a vast improvement to the computer voice on the 1/2 etc.
-The m2 seems a rather strange busway, what do the guided sections actually offer compared to the sections which are non-guided?? The bridge at Ashton is nice for photos though !
-39401 the Biogas bus was very smart, moquette is nice to see these days, especially to a nice design. I hope more of these are delivered in the future, I do remember seeing an announcement for a large order of Biogas Buses, anyone know what happened to that? Or are they due later this year?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The m2 seems a rather strange busway, what do the guided sections actually offer compared to the sections which are non-guided?? The bridge at Ashton is nice for photos though

A lot of people wonder the same thing!!!

39401 the Biogas bus was very smart, moquette is nice to see these days, especially to a nice design. I hope more of these are delivered in the future, I do remember seeing an announcement for a large order of Biogas Buses, anyone know what happened to that? Or are they due later this year?

The funding was for 110 vehicles and there has been rumours of 39 (?) being due this year - not sure if anything has been said officially though.

carlberry

Established Member
-The m2 seems a rather strange busway, what do the guided sections actually offer compared to the sections which are non-guided?? The bridge at Ashton is nice for photos though !
It keeps cars off the bus way and slows the buses down. I'm assuming the second part is intended as nobody could have designed it the way it's been delivered without any other intention.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Oh dear!
Doesn't look as bad as 66721 in 2017, so should hopefully make a full recovery
I presume Bath Depot must have several spare buses on its allocation these days. Lately several have had to be loaned to Wells. Some of Westbury's allocation has been off and non Discover buses have been covering. Four Solos have gone to Cymru without being replaced (unless something has come to Bath recently.) 66731 accident, 32669 apparently engine problem and 30875 blown engine probably not to be repaired.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I presume Bath Depot must have several spare buses on its allocation these days. Lately several have had to be loaned to Wells. Some of Westbury's allocation has been off and non Discover buses have been covering. Four Solos have gone to Cymru without being replaced (unless something has come to Bath recently.) 66731 accident, 32669 apparently engine problem and 30875 blown engine probably not to be repaired.

Of course, you have the hired B7TLs, 32673 and the two ex Kernow that were dragged in to support the U2/R2 so its hard to fully work what's come in and what's gone. The new Solos came in and whilst there was the additional work (11, 12, 20, 42), it wasn't 9 vehicles worth.

Be interesting to see where the three ex Cymru Tridents end up. Hengrove to replace their hired B7TLs?

Whiteway215

Established Member
Of course, you have the hired B7TLs, 32673 and the two ex Kernow that were dragged in to support the U2/R2 so its hard to fully work what's come in and what's gone. The new Solos came in and whilst there was the additional work (11, 12, 20, 42), it wasn't 9 vehicles worth.

Be interesting to see where the three ex Cymru Tridents end up. Hengrove to replace their hired B7TLs?
I was also wondering about the Cymru Tridents-we've not heard anything about them yet. GW - good thinking about them going to Hengrove to replace the hired deckers. Plus of course Hengrove already have Tridents on their allocation in the form of the ex FHD ones.

freetoview33

Established Member
I was also wondering about the Cymru Tridents-we've not heard anything about them yet. GW - good thinking about them going to Hengrove to replace the hired deckers. Plus of course Hengrove already have Tridents on their allocation in the form of the ex FHD ones.
Well considering all of the 59 plate B7RLEs including 69448 are apparently heading up north. Then LH will be down 5 and WS down 9. So some shuffling will be needed.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Well considering all of the 59 plate B7RLEs including 69448 are apparently heading up north. Then LH will be down 5 and WS down 9. So some shuffling will be needed.
There’s a lot of shuffling to be done. If they sort out the Bath Hybrid repowering, that would release the Streetdecks back to LH. That could release either B9s for Wells or StreetLites for the 178. However, the fleet really needs its rumoured new vehicles to get rid of some of the elderly fleet.

freetoview33

Established Member
There’s a lot of shuffling to be done. If they sort out the Bath Hybrid repowering, that would release the Streetdecks back to LH. That could release either B9s for Wells or StreetLites for the 178. However, the fleet really needs its rumoured new vehicles to get rid of some of the elderly fleet.
Yes those Hybrids have turned out to be the worst buses of all! Does anyone know if there has been any progress on the new engines for them?
That is true, but a few more of streetlites are needed at Hengrove for the increase in the 8 frequency, although I'm not sure how many they have spare now since the 36/96 changes. Then there is what will replace 66448?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Yes those Hybrids have turned out to be the worst buses of all! Does anyone know if there has been any progress on the new engines for them?
That is true, but a few more of streetlites are needed at Hengrove for the increase in the 8 frequency, although I'm not sure how many they have spare now since the 36/96 changes. Then there is what will replace 66448?

The e400H are a bit odd in that two of them continue to operate ok. Don't know how many Streetlites will be required for the 8 (1 or 2?) but then again, we reach May with the usual University related reduction in the PVR (?) and that will free up various vehicles as well. I had assumed that various 667** and 66934-43 Eclipses would simply move on to other OpCos (hence why so many still retain Barbie and are shabby inside) but wonder whether they won't now stay if the 2009 Eclipses do head to Leicester.

Citistar

The X8/X9 timetable certainly looks....interesting.

Abus X8 at xx.20 and xx.50 from Bristol
First X8 at xx.00 from Bristol
First X9 at xx.15 and xx.45 from Bristol

It isn't correct yet. Abus will not be doing any X8 from 28/04, but they will be doing the following X9 journeys from Bristol, Mon-Fri:
0558, 0630, 0725, 0809, 0915, 0945, 1045, 1115, 1215, 1245, 1345, 1415, 1515, 1550, 1700 and 1740.

Those journeys form two out of the three vehicle workings on the service, First will be doing the other one which fits in the gaps.

I don't think this has been previously linked from here, but i have done a bit of investigation beyond the press releases of First and North Somerset to find more honest reasons for the network changes (or "improvements" as First call them) in the area: https://citistar.wordpress.com/2019/03/22/less-expression/

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It isn't correct yet. Abus will not be doing any X8 from 28/04, but they will be doing the following X9 journeys from Bristol, Mon-Fri:
0558, 0630, 0725, 0809, 0915, 0945, 1045, 1115, 1215, 1245, 1345, 1415, 1515, 1550, 1700 and 1740.

Those journeys form two out of the three vehicle workings on the service, First will be doing the other one which fits in the gaps.

I don't think this has been previously linked from here, but i have done a bit of investigation beyond the press releases of First and North Somerset to find more honest reasons for the network changes (or "improvements" as First call them) in the area: https://citistar.wordpress.com/2019/03/22/less-expression/

Thanks for the update - I really should have put interesting in inverted commas as I was rather suspicious of what was on Traveline (it looked hooky) and as it seemed to run counter to what other posters were saying.

When I saw the details of the changes, my first thought was your blog post in relation to the X7 and the spending of a large amount of money to essentially provide a bus between West Wick and Clevedon; I did wonder what you would make of it (and I'm not surprised either).

I'm loathe to criticise operators but as you say, there's little positive in these changes, and there's a fair bit of the Excel network entrusted to deckers that are now 11 or more years old so the rolling stock is looking a bit long in the tooth.