• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Private Baxter

Established Member

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Sometimes, you forget how much has changed. A trip out from September 2014 around Bristol and then
Bath involved the following services....
  • Retained - 76, 72, 1, X39
  • Changed - X74 (then UWE, now m1/m3), 51 (gone, redeemed and now 91), 13 (now 3), 319 (now 19), 267 (now D2)
  • Gone - 379, 18, 184, 231 (gone except tendered X31)
Of the many buses that day...
  • Retained - 37617, 32340, 32357, 44522, 44524, 37761, 37762
  • Moved - 66352, 42915, 42555, 42561, 42907, 42916
  • Binned - 42701, 42703
Indicates that the fleet wasn't actually too bad age wise and how single deckers have been moved out!

AllanMacF

I spent a long afternoon on or around The Centre today. I saw two of the former 7XP MMCs just mentioned, now r/p; one had a blue Fishponds Rd front, but was not signwritten yet and still displaying the Severn Express data in the upper-deck rear window! I couldn't see the reg. Also, YX66 WGO with an orange Whiteladies Rd front, also not yet signwritten. Both on training. Meanwhile, ex-Glasgow 32623 carries a green circle over the cab, instead of an f-in-circle, on which is carried the route number 24 ... which seems as good a reason as any to put the bus out on the A2 to the Airport!! I saw only eight of the acquired 'deckers - 30936 on the 4, branded 31146 on the 3, 32619/623/624 on 24, A2 and 24, 37181/3/5 on the 75, 70/71 and 24, and 33072/090 on the 24 and 75. Incidentally, probably already recorded, ex-Mendip Explorer 35162 is now in Route 90 red-front livery and 35167 is in Route 70/71 colours - neither is signwritten and they look better without the black upper front corners - no, hang on, nothing can make a StreetDeck look better! Despite all these extra 'deckers, plus the UNIBUS MMCs on 75/76, in late pm 63076 was on the 1, while the next 1 was 47567!!

83G/84D

Established Member
I had probably my worst drive through Bristol ever this morning at around 9 to 10am. Before all of you say you should have gone this or that way I did my usual exit off the M5 motorway near Gordano services and down the A369 past Abbots Leigh to Ashton Gate, A370 Southville to Temple Meads station. There may be a better or quicker way however this is the way I know best.

Anyway long queues around Ashton Gate and slow traffic through the countless sets of traffic lights along the A370 before negotiating the new road layout around Temple Meads! Eventually joined a long queue of buses, cars and 100’s of blue taxis on the approach to the station.

Finally got into the station car park 50 minutes after leaving the motorway!

Absolute bedlam by the station and I nearly got pushed onto the pavement in my car by a First Streetlite max.

No wonder there are so many complaints on First Bristol’s Twitter about poor timekeeping. Only thing of interest seen was a freshly painted Mendip Explorer E400 possibly 33660.

A couple of Stagecoach Gold singles (E300?) were seen near the M5.

Any suggestions for a better route into the City centre / Temple Meads from the south west?

Got a headache and need a lie down after that experience!

Last edited:

CD

I had probably my worst drive through Bristol ever this morning at around 9 to 10am. Before all of you say you should have gone this or that way I did my usual exit off the M5 motorway near Gordano services and down the A369 past Abbots Leigh to Ashton Gate, A370 Southville to Temple Meads station. There may be a better or quicker way however this is the way I know best.

Anyway long queues around Ashton Gate and slow traffic through the countless sets of traffic lights along the A370 before negotiating the new road layout around Temple Meads! Eventually joined a long queue of buses, cars and 100’s of blue taxis on the approach to the station.

Finally got into the station car park 50 minutes after leaving the motorway!

Absolute bedlam by the station and I nearly got pushed onto the pavement in my car by a First Streetlite max.

No wonder there are so many complaints on First Bristol’s Twitter about poor timekeeping. Only thing of interest seen was a freshly painted Mendip Explorer E400 possibly 33660.

A couple of Stagecoach Gold singles (E300?) were seen near the M5.

Any suggestions for a better route into the City centre / Temple Meads from the south west?

Got a headache and need a lie down after that experience!
Come off M5 at Avonmouth and use Portway P&R. Nice long bus only lane to avoid the gridlock.

CD

Anyone in Bristol yesterday may have noticed newly arrived B7TL 32623 on A2.
Quite funny how it got on it. About 1330 32623 was on a 24 stopped on Haymarket for a crew change. New driver found the driving seat too high for her so called the controller.
His solution was as 66724 on a A2 was stopped right behind 32623 to swap the drivers over, 66724 becoming the 24 and visa versa.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Those were superb buses. Really prove their worth and lasted a long time. Wouldn't be too popular now though!
They were excellent machines. Seem to recall traveling on them on the 126 and the old 102 from Weston to Bridgwater?

Did a few end up at Bath for the X4 or working alongside the W&D Duple Laser Tigers? I forget. I remember one of the last ones ended up in Yeovil where it seemed to do schools plus some Dorchester market run.

henairs

They were excellent machines. Seem to recall traveling on them on the 126 and the old 102 from Weston to Bridgwater?

Did a few end up at Bath for the X4 or working alongside the W&D Duple Laser Tigers? I forget. I remember one of the last ones ended up in Yeovil where it seemed to do schools plus some Dorchester market run.
Nice vehicles but a high backrest made it hard for me to see over being short to average.
Had them on 163 as well, the old Badgerline Bridgwater to Wells route.
We had two of these in Yeovil one of which got painted not long before they were withdrawn.
Think we had 65504/65511 if I remember correctly.
There was a Wednesday only Chard to Dorchester working which was usually a B7 from 66956/58/60 but on one occasion I had 65511 on it from Crewkerne which ran over the downs via Maiden Newton to the Dorset county town of Dorchester.
I probably still had hair then as well !
Cheers, Mike R

Private Baxter

Established Member

They were certainly regulars on the 126, and the old 102, as well as the 163. Some did go to Bath, yes, and that does ring a bell about working X4, though I cant say for sure.
Although I said that they were gone by 2006, but thinking about it, I'm sure some carried on a lot longer. Any ideas?

I think you're right, one did go to Yeovil, and possibly other depots in that region, though someone else may be able to correct me.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Nice vehicles but a high backrest made it hard for me to see over being short to average.
We had two of these in Yeovil one of which got painted not long before they were withdrawn.
There was a Wednesday only Chard to Dorchester working which was usually a B7 from 66956/58/60 but on one occasion I had 65511 on it from Crewkerne which ran over the downs via Maiden Newton to the Dorset county town of Dorchester.
Cheers, Mike R
Thanks, missed that post when I wrote mine. That suggests they were still around a lot more recently! 66956/8/60-1 transferred to Yeovil some time in 2007 I think. Or maybe 2008

henairs

Thanks, missed that post when I wrote mine. That suggests they were still around a lot more recently! 66956/8/60-1 transferred to Yeovil some time in 2007 I think. Or maybe 2008
Hi Private,
Have consulted my records and I have 66511 as on 202 Chard - Dorchester service on 22/10/2008 when it was registered as RIL 1069.
Very much into their swansong period,
Cheers, Mike R

D2007wsm

Established Member
Another quick way I use if I’m driving to Bristol from Weston is down the M5 to Clevedon then up over Failand the same way as the X6, there is very rarely any holdups on that road. Until maybe near Ashton Court. Then to get to near Temple Meads if you go down Winterstoke Road to Parson Street, then, down St Johns Lane, it’ll bring you out at the bottom of the Wells Road in Totterdown. That way is usually quieter than Coronation Road.

Thanks for the advice. Got to be much less stressful.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Another quick way I use if I’m driving to Bristol from Weston is down the M5 to Clevedon then up over Failand the same way as the X6, there is very rarely any holdups on that road. Until maybe near Ashton Court. Then to get to near Temple Meads if you go down Winterstoke Road to Parson Street, then, down St Johns Lane, it’ll bring you out at the bottom of the Wells Road in Totterdown. That way is usually quieter than Coronation Road.
That’s the best way. Think part of their problem was the bit by Bower Ashton though which seems bad at the moment. Think the Cumberland Bridge has been swinging a bit more often though!

The other route is to go over the “Spenshun” bridge and through Clifton and past the BRI (but then you still have Temple Way to fight with).

Whiteway215

Established Member
I see Steve is telling us 66731 is officially withdrawn (accident damage). Also 30875 appears as still unlicenced (engine issues) but I thought this would be withdrawn now owing to the length of time it's been off the road.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I see Steve is telling us 66731 is officially withdrawn (accident damage). Also 30875 appears as still unlicenced (engine issues) but I thought this would be withdrawn now owing to the length of time it's been off the road.

So 66721 and 66731 written off with RTAs. More intriguing is 37625 with roof damage - can’t recall that being reported.

Private Baxter

Established Member
So 66721 and 66731 written off with RTAs. More intriguing is 37625 with roof damage - can’t recall that being reported.
Bit confusing that. 66731 was withdrawn some time ago following its accident, and according to one member, has been at the back of Bath depot ever since in an unrepaired state, so the question is, has it been permanently withdrawn? Class mate 66721 was withdrawn and scrapped following its accident near Shepton.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Hi Private,
Have consulted my records and I have 66511 as on 202 Chard - Dorchester service on 22/10/2008 when it was registered as RIL 1069.
Very much into their swansong period,
Cheers, Mike R
Thank you very much for looking into that. I remember they had private plates toward the end, and doesnt seem that long ago. They really did last a long time! Or maybe that's how long buses should last. I recall one eventually went off to Poland for use over there!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Cheers, Mike R
That was the service I remember. I only ever saw these or Merc 811s on there rather than the Eclipses. I do am vertically challenged but thought they were very comfortable.

Bit confusing that. 66731 was withdrawn some time ago following its accident, and according to one member, has been at the back of Bath depot ever since in an unrepaired state, so the question is, has it been permanently withdrawn? Class mate 66721 was withdrawn and scrapped following its accident near Shepton.
Wasn’t 66721’s accident between Dulcote and Wells? It then donated it’s engine to 66732?

Whiteway215

Established Member
66731 was stored at Bath in damaged state since its accident so maybe the official decision for withdrawal has only just been taken. 32279 also given as delicenced but the reason is not known.
53814 reported as BH to HE. I don’t know the PVR requirement for Bath’s Solo operated routes but I would have thought there would be a shortage if any were off the road long term.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
66731 was stored at Bath in damaged state since its accident so maybe the official decision for withdrawal has only just been taken. 32279 also given as delicenced but the reason is not known.
53814 reported as BH to HE. I don’t know the PVR requirement for Bath’s Solo operated routes but I would have thought there would be a shortage if any were off the road long term.

Think that they use an e200 on the 42 if short of Solos. The 1 can take a decker if needed.

Private Baxter

Established Member
That was the service I remember. I only ever saw these or Merc 811s on there rather than the Eclipses. I do am vertically challenged but thought they were very comfortable.

Wasn’t 66721’s accident between Dulcote and Wells? It then donated it’s engine to 66732?
You're right, it was, working the now withdrawn 175. And indeed legend has it that 66732 now runs with its engine.
On the subject of these buses, Steve's photo of 33488 shows 66728 next to it. Has this now transferred? Meanwhile an hour or so ago I saw 66729 heading up Fishponds Road (out of service), suggesting both may have now gone (back) to Marlborough Street.

spw24

Ive been told 32279 has a seized rear axle blocked the whole of bath when it went.
Both 66728/9 are now both @LH was told ages ago 66731 wasn't going to be repaired haven't seen an official list with it as withdrawn.
I'm pretty sure 37625 was the 1 that went in for a car wash but it didn't fit that's the only reason I can think of for it being out of service.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Thank you very much for looking into that. I remember they had private plates toward the end, and doesnt seem that long ago. They really did last a long time! Or maybe that's how long buses should last. I recall one eventually went off to Poland for use over there!
The double decker versions went on for even longer, particularly in open top form being withdrawn not that long ago.

Perhaps that’s why a couple of the short E200s were not shipped off to act as spares.