• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Whiteway215

Established Member
Ive been told 32279 has a seized rear axle blocked the whole of bath when it went.
Both 66728/9 are now both @LH was told ages ago 66731 wasn't going to be repaired haven't seen an official list with it as withdrawn.
I'm pretty sure 37625 was the 1 that went in for a car wash but it didn't fit that's the only reason I can think of for it being out of service.
Only a minor observation but looking at the (klaxon on) Bustimes (klaxon off) today I see that 30875 and 66731 have been taken off vey recently. However the old Bath Solos that went to Cymru are still there!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D2007wsm

Established Member
full
33659 has also received it’s branding with a peculiarity, it has the normal fleet number in the usual places with a ‘V’ after it. Wonder what the ‘V’ stands for

Tommy Walters

Bath once again mixing up allocations - 66881 ended up on the afternoon U3s, whilst 67633 was on the 5. Abus provided YG02FWB for their evening peak U1 runs instead of the usual Scania as well!!

spw24

V for Euro V according to a Wells Driver its for the Bath LEZ when that starts so Im guessing every bus that is V or Vi will be marked like this.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Well if you wondered why e300s have appeared.... from the staff rag (via public transport experience blog) following Wrightbus’s collapse:

This collapse is having a direct effect on us here at First West of England, in two ways:

On a day-to-day level all warranty work and parts supply has ceased immediately. This will make it difficult for our engineering colleagues to deal with any repairs that may be needed until alternative arrangements can be put in place and parts sourced from elsewhere.

More immediately, it gives us a severe bus shortage here as First UK Bus Division was in the process of taking delivery of a batch of 50 Streetdeck double-deckers for operation in Leeds.

Their arrival would allow 23 middle-aged Volvo double-deckers to be transferred to us. Unfortunately not one of these buses has been delivered to Leeds, so no cascade can even start until they do. My information is that 30 buses have been completed and are ready to ship while some 20 vehicles are in various states of construction on the (now stopped) production line.

We are hoping that negotiations with the administrator will lead to the release of these buses within the next few weeks. In the meantime, we are going to be very tight for buses!

Bradley

On Moderation
Is Bristol still getting more Double Deckers if so where from I know it won’t be Leeds anymore now.

DaveHarries

Established Member
The situation with Wrightbus, if it does collapse completely, will give headaches to First all over, not just in the west of England, should any vehicles need repairs that they would normally go back to Ireland for. The mechanics at the Bristol depots will have difficulty with the StreetDecks for the 70, 71 and 90 while Wells will have trouble getting work done on the StreetDecks still in use for the 376 (as if they don't have enough problems with those ones already!) if they are on integral chassis.

IMO Wrights should not have given up the Volvo partnership and I don't think the design of the StreetDeck will have done them many favours either.

Dave

Private Baxter

Established Member
Well if you wondered why e300s have appeared.... from the staff rag (via public transport experience blog) following Wrightbus’s collapse:

This collapse is having a direct effect on us here at First West of England, in two ways:

On a day-to-day level all warranty work and parts supply has ceased immediately. This will make it difficult for our engineering colleagues to deal with any repairs that may be needed until alternative arrangements can be put in place and parts sourced from elsewhere.

More immediately, it gives us a severe bus shortage here as First UK Bus Division was in the process of taking delivery of a batch of 50 Streetdeck double-deckers for operation in Leeds.

Their arrival would allow 23 middle-aged Volvo double-deckers to be transferred to us. Unfortunately not one of these buses has been delivered to Leeds, so no cascade can even start until they do. My information is that 30 buses have been completed and are ready to ship while some 20 vehicles are in various states of construction on the (now stopped) production line.

We are hoping that negotiations with the administrator will lead to the release of these buses within the next few weeks. In the meantime, we are going to be very tight for buses!
Thanks for sharing GW! That makes sense, and could cause problems further down the line. Meanwhile Steve has hinted that the e300s were in fact intended for Wells! I can only assume for 126.

AB93

I understand that the ex Glasgow Geminis which recently arrived at Hengrove have not been in service since Monday.

That can't be right as I've caught several of them on the 24 all of last week (and passed several more on the way!).

BBC

Was it confirmed as 37347? That was my suggestion, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere. I assumed that's the incident Steve is referring to.
I’m pretty sure it was. The allocator mention the number and it was definitely a 373**

Bradley

On Moderation
BBC so that means Lawrence Hill Depot is getting 20 Double Deckers from Leeds if so do you know when they will arrive.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Was it confirmed as 37347? That was my suggestion, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere. I assumed that's the incident Steve is referring to.

Yes, it was.

Annoyingly, I never got round to finding out which B9 was involved in the previous crash at Emersons Green back in June 2014.

BBC

BBC so that means Lawrence Hill Depot is getting 20 Double Deckers from Leeds if so do you know when they will arrive.
Nothing can come down until Leeds gets its streetdecks, but as wrightbus has gone bust who knows when that will be.

Volvodart

Established Member
Most likely will end up being something like that in the short term at least!

If they can hang on that long, there will be buses spare in Glasgow from the end of October, potentially in 2 weeks time with the reduced school holidays services that week, if buses freed by the Midland Bluebird cuts go over for the final week of "full" services. Aberdeen is also on school holidays for those 2 weeks, so may also have a few spare then if Glasgow needed them ahead of the Aberdeen cuts the same day as Glasgow's.

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
As all the students are now back at Bath Uni I thought I would have a brief womble around to see what was going on.
I started with the U2 - all seven PVR working although running a bit late because of traffic. A large articulated wagon parked right outside Ralph Allen School at going in time causing chaos! 53806 on one of the U2s.
Then went down Bathwick Hill. About five bendis and two deckers passed me coming up the hill-standing loads and that was about 11 o'clock. I was following two deckers down the hill. Some clown of a TNT truck driver then decided to park at the very point that bendis have to carefully negotiate an awkward narrow bit-with cars parked on the opposite side of the road.
More deckers and bendis passed along Pulteney Road and North Parade. It was a continuous shuttle service.
I'm afraid I only saw about three U3s and they were bendis and a 400MMC.
I saw no evidence of outside bus companies giving any support- I only saw First Bath vehicles, apart from the two First Wessex loan deckers.

One thing I will say I saw no evidence of queueing students as per last year. It may have been a different situation earlier this morning but I can only report what I saw.