• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

carlberry

Established Member
This might sound a bit stupid , but what exactly is the history of all the arctics operating on the U1 ?

Are they all 20 years old or are some newer

And also why doesnt the U2 see Arctics ?
2 are 20 years old next year (10036/37 in purple), the rest are 15 years old and 6 were new to Bath (and are purple) and 6 came from Aberdeen a couple of years ago (and are in First livery).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tommy Walters

This might sound a bit stupid , but what exactly is the history of all the arctics operating on the U1 ?

Are they all 20 years old or are some newer

And also why doesnt the U2 see Arctics ?

The U2 is completely unsuitable for artics, as some of the roads served in Southdown/Whiteway are narrow with parked cars & sharp corners. They did however see some occasional use on what is now the U5 before the current bus station was built, which of course they cannot use!!

Last edited:

Blackpudding

IIRC, there are 15 artics in York but 6 are to remain in the city. The other nine (plus 15/16 Eclipses) will be replaced by the deckers, and will be available for transfer. Hence the rumoured plan that they will head to Bath but only replace the oldest/worst of the B7LAs. The Citaro are 49 seaters as opposed to 52 or 56 in the B7LAs but to be honest, it's more about the standing capacity!

I don't normally speculate on vehicle movements within First because they have so many options and plans change but some time ago, after the trial of the M-B artic there was a short throw away line on a Facebook page by someone who is involved in arranging vehicle transfers that the M-B artics are now off to the 'far North'. That may not have been the exact expression but my thought was that he meant Aberdeen. It may not come to anything but because of who wrote it, unless as I said earlier plans change, I would expect to see that happen. If it does happen it could mean more of the Volvo artics are sent south to Bath but that is me putting two and two together and coming up with five.

lx12ddo

I'm pretty certain that they were more popular with the drivers too - might explain those evening subs!!

Interesting your reckoning on the artic fleet, I had 10183 down from uni late yesterday & would agree it is pretty fast in a straight line!! 10162 seems to have caught 10174's ticking disease now unfortunately. I've always stuck by the fact that 10179 is the best machine though, closely followed by 10037 (still the best at getting up Bathwick Hill while on a light load!!). 10175 has a leaking problem as well I'm afraid to say!!

10179 without a shadow of a doubt sounds the most healthy. But it’s had its tantrums, including one the other day on the Friday night at the U3 campus stop. 175’s pretty much never been VOR AFAIK, and I’m surprised 10176 isn’t given more appearances. It seems to be the one used most like a spare, rather than part of the furniture.

Edit - I say never, but never knowingly picked up on it while I’ve been here studying.

D2007wsm

Established Member
The January service changes are now online at https://travelwest.info/travel_update/bus-service-changes-january-2020

With that now in the public domain, all X9 journeys will be operated by First. Abus will only operate their existing journeys on the 349. This is where the possible PVR increase for the excel network will come in as 2 extra buses will need to be used on the X9 to cover the journeys currently operated by Abus. I don’t know if this will be a possible home for the Scania single decks, whether it will be interworked with the X2 and X8 using Streetlites as B7RLE length vehicles are not suitable for the X2 or if E400s will be used.

Last edited:

Tommy Walters

10179 without a shadow of a doubt sounds the most healthy. But it’s had its tantrums, including one the other day on the Friday night at the U3 campus stop. 175’s pretty much never been VOR AFAIK, and I’m surprised 10176 isn’t given more appearances. It seems to be the one used most like a spare, rather than part of the furniture.

Edit - I say never, but never knowingly picked up on it while I’ve been here studying.

Pains me to say it, but I've seen 10175 being attended to by mechanics up at the uni on 2 separate occasions already this semester - I think its brakes seem to like sticking on. 10176 is not favourable with the drivers as it is rather sluggish and struggles up Bathwick Hill. This may be why it isn't taken out so often. I had 10167 earlier today & must say its engine sounds utterly appalling - if you sit very near the back like I did, you go deaf!! How that thing passed an MOT is beyond me!!

matt_splat

The January service changes are now online at https://travelwest.info/travel_update/bus-service-changes-january-2020

With that now in the public domain, all X9 journeys will be operated by First. Abus will only operate their existing journeys on the 349. This is where the possible PVR increase for the excel network will come in as 2 extra buses will need to be used on the X9 to cover the journeys currently operated by Abus. I don’t know if this will be a possible home for the Scania single decks, whether it will be interworked with the X2 and X8 using Streetlites as B7RLE length vehicles are not suitable for the X2 or if E400s will be used.

i have heard suggestion some journey's where Weston drivers go on cushions to Bristol will become Bristol crewed duties not sure if this is true or not but it could result i guess in less buses being parked up in Bristol.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Bath this evening.53819 on the 4, presumably transferred back from Hengrove, 32279/91 on X39, 4452x on 19A and a 695xx on U5.

freetoview33

Established Member
Highlights:

1/2 off peak: cut from 12 to 15mins
18: Renumbered from 19A
22: becomes set down/pick up only
42A: No AM trips
44A: Withdrawn
75/76 off peak: cut from 12 to 15mins, 76 will now serve Southmead Hospital
90: PM Peak more trips!
M1: First shorts canceled, frequency reduced from 10 to 15mins (M-F), saturday reduced from 10 to 20mins (Few new Peak services from Centre - Patchway)
M2: Off peak reduced from 10 to 20 mins
M3: Off peak reduced from 20 to 30 mins
X9: First only
SEV: All trips via M32

northken

Wow. Frequency reductions on the 1, 2, 75, 76 and all Metrobus routes, and so few improvements anywhere.

The cuts to Metrobus are particularly concerning. So much for being a frequent service.

Whiteway215

Established Member
The U2 is completely unsuitable for artics, as some of the roads served in Southdown/Whiteway are narrow with parked cars & sharp corners. They did however see some occasional use on what is now the U5 before the current bus station was built, which of course they cannot use!![/QUOTE]

Also in my humble opinion there is no way artics could negotiate the traffic calming chicanes in Coronation Avenue. The deckers on U2 and E200s on the 1 find it difficult enough!

The bendis were used on the Bath Spa Uni service but I believe the Uni authorities were unhappy because of difficulties in bendis passing each other on the narrow drive up to Newton Park Complex. Hence now the use of deckers.

Tommy Walters

The U2 is completely unsuitable for artics, as some of the roads served in Southdown/Whiteway are narrow with parked cars & sharp corners. They did however see some occasional use on what is now the U5 before the current bus station was built, which of course they cannot use.

Also in my humble opinion there is no way artics could negotiate the traffic calming chicanes in Coronation Avenue. The deckers on U2 and E200s on the 1 find it difficult enough!

The bendis were used on the Bath Spa Uni service but I believe the Uni authorities were unhappy because of difficulties in bendis passing each other on the narrow drive up to Newton Park Complex. Hence now the use of deckers.

Was there ever a point where the Bath Uni & Bath Spa services ran as a single continuous route (back when they were numbered 18/418) or have the two services always been separate??

freetoview33

Established Member
Wow. Frequency reductions on the 1, 2, 75, 76 and all Metrobus routes, and so few improvements anywhere.

The cuts to Metrobus are particularly concerning. So much for being a frequent service.
I know First are doing it to help the bottom line/but it is likely to push Bristol CC and Metro Mayor over the top, considering they were the 8 routes they wanted frequency increases on!

AB93

I know First are doing it to help the bottom line/but it is likely to push Bristol CC and Metro Mayor over the top, considering they were the 8 routes they wanted frequency increases on!
Since when were the metrobus routes routes they wanted frequency increases on!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Since when were the metrobus routes routes they wanted frequency increases on!

Think he's referring to the key corridors regarding the Bristol bus deal

1. Muller Road
  2. A37 Wells Road
  3. A38 Bridgwater Road
  4. A4 Bath Road
  5. City Centre Loop
  6. A432 Fishponds Road
  7. M32
  8. A4 Portway
However, the bus deal refers to peak frequencies not off peak reductions.

Don't know how the metrobus reductions square with the agreement and frequency commitments.

All in all, it's pretty depressing

carlberry

Established Member
Hopefully Bristol CC/Metro Mayor will have loads of cash to pay for it all! First are not in a good place at the moment and the LEZ (if it follows every other LEZ in the UK) will just push up the cost of operating bsues but have zero effect on car traffic.

D2007wsm

Established Member
i have heard suggestion some journey's where Weston drivers go on cushions to Bristol will become Bristol crewed duties not sure if this is true or not but it could result i guess in less buses being parked up in Bristol.
As far as I am aware, Marlborough Street drivers will cover some journeys on excel services when Weston drivers come off for a break using Weston excel branded vehicles.

Tommy Walters

Some more Wells loans on uni routes this morning:

32688 on U3
37610 on U2 (again!)

Another strange working is 53820 on a peak U1 (not sure what difference this would have made!)

Another funny observation - the U3 stop at Bath uni now has a screen - on which the bus times tracker is being shown!!

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

32688 on U3
37610 on U2 (again!)

Another strange working is 53820 on a peak U1 (not sure what difference this would have made!)

Another funny observation - the U3 stop at Bath uni now has a screen - on which the bus times tracker is being shown!!

Saw 36230 working for Wells the other night - first time I'd seen one of those ex Leeds machines on there

CD

32688 on U3
37610 on U2 (again!)

Both 32688 and 37610 have been undergoing maintenance in Bath, together with 32669/73.
U2/U3 ideal local routes to to test them before returning to Wells.
Saw 36230 working for Wells the other night - first time I'd seen one of those ex Leeds machines on there
36230 has been on loan to Wells since Wednesday 20th November.

Class 33

Established Member
Surprised and disappointed to read the 75 & 76 will have their off-peak frequency reduced to every 15 minutes. I'm sure I read before that there were plans to double the frequency of these services! But instead the services are being cut back a bit! Quite often when I'm at the Zetland Road Junction stop to get a bus into Broadmead, I can have a lengthy wait of 10 to 15 minutes wait for ANY bus, due to I guess traffic problems causing delays and cancellations, along with the 71 & 73 being only every 20 minutes. Things are going to be a bit worst from January now by the looks of it!

On a different note, seen a gold ALX 400 Volvo B7 on the 72 today. The second time in the past month I've seen a double decker on the 72. It's much rarer to see double deckers on a service normally served by all single deckers, than it is for single deckers to be on services that are supposed to be all double deckers i.e. the 75 & 76 where the ongoing use of a few single deckers are normally in operation every weekday.

Also seen the green Bio-bus on a 92 today. Usually running around on the 1 & 2. Haven't seen that bus for a few months.