• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Whiteway215

Established Member
Of course it was. I'm normally pretty sharp with all that.... must be the heat.:D
But I believe a requirement was that those buses were used, hence Wells operated it. Prior to April 2012, the 379 had been a daily return Radstock to Bristol service, which inter worked with one 376 journey, usually using an older B10BLE. It was later extended to Shepton, a journey that was retained when the 379 became hourly. The Shepton working was eventually dropped when Bath took on the service.

You're right 69435-7 did move to Bath, but rarely, as far as I am aware, worked the 178/379. They didnt stay particularly long in Bath.
69435/6/7 came to Bath from Wells in Feb 2014. 69435/6 then went to Hengrove Sept 2014 and 69437 went back to Wells from Bath in Jan 2016.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Private Baxter

Established Member
69435/6/7 came to Bath from Wells in Feb 2014. 69435/6 then went to Hengrove Sept 2014 and 69437 went back to Wells from Bath in Jan 2016.
They did indeed. 35&36 spent a short spell at Hengrove before transferring to Leicester, and 37 as you say went back to Wells where it remained until very recently.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

They did indeed. 35&36 spent a short spell at Hengrove before transferring to Leicester, and 37 as you say went back to Wells where it remained until very recently.

69435-7 did head with the 379 to Bath but you're right in that they didn't operate it much though I remember seeing one on a Sunday 177 turning in Writhlington school. Instead, they seemed to appear on various routes with the 38 being a favourite. The 178/379 went to mainly standard 05 Darts but had short ones and the last of the ex Sheffield SPDs before 47544-50 appeared.

69435/6 did head to Leicester but are now at Worcester for the Salt Road services, nicely refurbished. 69437 did head to Wells, even staying when 69438 later went to Leicester (as did 69439-42 via Lawrence Hill).

martyjon

GBBN in the Yate / Sodbury area still awaiting completion.

Briefly the GBBN project was to provide bus shelters and RTI displays at each stop on the selected routes of which the then 342 Bristol - Chipping Sodbury was one such route.

I regularly attended the South Gloucestershire Councils Transport Forums held at the Kingswood Council Chamber and moaned about all the bus shelters erected ( flat pack IKEA type assembled in a contractors yard and delivery to site by lorry ) and not connected to an electricty supply despite all the new shelters coming equipped with an electrical box. Usual council foboff, Western Power were contracted to connect and sub-contracted to two divisions, North and South, of which one division would connect and then issue electrical safety certificate whilst other division required certificate from council before working to connect. I also raised the lack of power to a particular shelter which had the RTI display installed. Inaction from South Gloucestershire Council for at least 3 years until I raised the matter with a Dodington Parish Council member who raised it at one of their monthly meetings who in turn took it up with SGC who said it was all fine and dandy and was probably a blown fuse till they sent out an electrician who reported back that it wasn't connected to the power supply. Connection was made.

Wearing another hat, I was also a member of the Friends of Yate Station group.

With the inception of WECA, the last meeting of the SG Transport Forum in 2017 was advised that future forums would be hosted by WECA. I attended one at Keynsham which was hi-jacked by protesters against the A4 to A37 link route and JF was given very little time to talk bus services.

Due to the lack of interest in public transport by WECA the Friends of Yate Station agreed to morph the group into The Yate and Surrounding Area Transport Forum. At the reinvigorated groups first meeting in 2018 I raised the saga about the unconnected RTI display as detailed above and then came a revelation that left me gobsmacked. A Dodington Parish Councillor addressed me and the meeting with a statement that SGC were offered a job lot of bus shelters and took up the offer for the GBBN project. He continued to state that at one location a 2 panel shelter was installed where a 3 panel shelter was specified and SGC refused to remove the shelter and install a correctly specified one but would ensure one that conforms to the specified size in the GBBN paperwork would be installed for services in the other direction.

My brain worked overtime as I imagined a yellow Robin Reliant pulling up at the Badminton Road offices and the occupants poping into the said offices offering a van load of flat pack bus shelters cheep at £250, got 4 more similar loads at the yard, take all 5 loads and there yours for a grand.

Then there was another revelation to come. A member of the Yate forum group addressing me stated that the reason for the incompletion of the GBBN project in South Gloucestershire Councils area is because the Council Officer in charge of the project was retiring and to clear his decks signed project completed certificates and the person taking over from the retiree waves these completion notes and refuses to have any dialogue on the subject. As for GBBN Mk 2, don't hold your breath if SGC has any involvement.

Sorry for the long post but had to vent my frustrations on this subject and it might spur me on to taking the matter to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Last edited:

freetoview33

Established Member
With the GBBN
GBBN in the Yate / Sodbury area still awaiting completion.

Briefly the GBBN project was to provide bus shelters and RTI displays at each stop on the selected routes of which the then 342 Bristol - Chipping Sodbury was one such route.

I regularly attended the South Gloucestershire Councils Transport Forums held at the Kingswood Council Chamber and moaned about all the bus shelters erected ( flat pack IKEA type assembled in a contractors yard and delivery to site by lorry ) and not connected to an electricty supply despite all the new shelters coming equipped with an electrical box. Usual council foboff, Western Power were contracted to connect and sub-contracted to two divisions, North and South, of which one division would connect and then issue electrical safety certificate whilst other division required certificate before working to connect. I also raised the lack of power to a particular shelter which had the RTI display installed. Inaction from South Gloucestershire Council for at least 3 years until I raised the matter with a Dodington Parish Concil member who raised it at one of their monthly meetings who in turn took it up with SGC who said it was all fine and dandy and was probably a blown fuse till they sent out an electrician who reported back that it wasn't connected to the power supply. Connection was made.

Wearing another hat, I was also a member of the Friends of Yate Station group.

With the inception of WECA, the last meeting of the SG Transport Forum in 2017 was advised that future forums would be hosted by WECA. I attended one at Keynsham which was hi-jacked by protesters against the A4 to A37 link route and JF was given very little time to talk bus services.

Due to the lack of interest in public transport by WECA the Friends of Yate Station agreed to morph the group into The Yate and Surrounding Area Transport Forum. At the reinvigorated groups first meeting in 2018 I raised the saga about the unconnected RTI display as detailed above and then came a revelation that left me gobsmacked. A Dodington Parish Councillor addressed me and the meeting with a statement that SGC were offered a job lot of bus shelters and took up the offer for the GBBN project. He continued to state that at one location a 2 panel shelter was installed where a 3 panel shelter was specified and SGC refused to remove the shelter and install a correctly specified one but would ensure one that conforms to the specified size in the GBBN paperwork.

My brain worked overtime as I imagined a yellow Robin Reliant pulling up at the Badminton Road offices and the occupants piping into the said offices offering a van load of flat pack bus shelters cheep at £250, got 4 more similar loads at the yard, take all 5 loads and there yours for a grand.

Then there was another revelation to come. A member of the Yate forum group addressing me stated that the reason for the incompletion of the GBBN project in South Gloucestershire Councils area is because the Council Officer in charge of the project was retiring and to clear his decks signed project completed certificates and the person taking over from the retiree waves these completion notes and refuses to have any dialogue on the subject. As for GBBN Mk 2, don't hold your breath of SGC has any involvement.

Sorry for the long post but had to vent my frustrations on this subject and it might spur me on to taking the matter to the Local Government Ombudsman.
I was going to summarise from the bits I gathered at the time and since but firstly with what you were saying, I think the problem with the GBBN is it worked well within the confines of Bristol City Council area but this is because at that time it was lead by Bristol city council, and under the old scheme that was limited power over the other areas. With this new version as it comes from WECA I have more confidence there will be changes in South Glos ect as they do have more control over delivering the project.

The whole thing started off the back of the collapse of the Bristol Supertram project in 2004. So after that BCC decided along with First to introduce "Showcase Routes" the first of these were routes 75/76 which basically involved new buses, new bus stop flags, raised curbs and real time screen thingys retrofitted to old stops (Best place to see this is the North Bound Ashley Down Road stop on Gloucester Road as it is still in the condition it was then, a few other bits were added but it really wasn't great, it was just trying to do a bit of a "tart up" with minimal cost, but never the less it was considered successful and onwards the project went.

The second route chosen was the 40's Church Road A420/431 corridors which in my eyes was the first route of the GBBN but it never really was included in the scheme officially. So this included new buses, for the first time new shelters, built out stops, real time, bus lanes, bus priorities, rebuilding of Old Market. I think the split we saw in the 41/42/43 into 40/41/42/43 was part of this scheme, but with this the changes were limited to Bristol, The Kingswood one way system and changes being part of a different scheme.

Then there was the official GBBN 10 routes, which weren't delivered in order but I will list the routes as they were planned.

1) M32 - Was supposed to deliver a new Park & Ride service but all that came of it was the new section of bus lane on the inbound M32, I think in the end they let further changes to Metrobus scheme.

2) A4018 - Involved changes from College Green through to Westbury Village, new buses, new stops, Whiteladies getting redone, the route from Westbury - Cribbs got delayed due to lack of funding, with the scheme (Westbury - Henbury) finally due to go ahead later this year/early next year!

3) A4 - Bristol - Bath, as we know the X39 got new buses, not the best but nevertheless new/newer anyway! Bath Road got redone, but as with other schemes the section outside of Bristol City Council area only saw limited if any improvements, which was the schemes biggest downfall in my opinion.

4) 73 Route - other than a few changes along Filton Avenue, I'm not quite sure if anything really happened on this route, with most changes then either covered by other South Glos schemes (Abbey Wood and Highwood Road) the section through Bradley Stoke then became part of Metrobus!

5) A432 - Bristol - Chipping Sodbury - We got quite big changes up Fishponds Road, new buses for the 48/49. But again very few/no changes past the Bristol City Council boundary!

6) A37 - Bristol - Midsomer Norton - Again the A37 in Bristol saw some improvements, but that was about it for the scheme itself!

7) Bristol Parkway - U.W.E - Emersons Green - Here nothing happened and the plans became part of Metrobus, with said route still awaiting completion.

8) A370 - Bristol - Weston, services increased between Bristol and Weston,
9) A369 - Bristol - Portishead, services increased Bristol to Portishead.
The main bit from these schemes were changes on Hotwells Road.

10) Bath - Radstock - I think there were some changes around Odd Down, but nothing much else.

Since then we had the Metrobus scheme, which again was delivered but watered down from the original ideas, but we finally got improvements through Bradley Stoke, Parkway, Emersons Green as well as a section of the original Showcase route through Bedminster upgraded, mainly I think it was an excuse to build 2 new roads and rebuild Bristol City Centre. If you really look at it M2, takes longer than the 903 did, yes it has provided a better service along Cumberland Road, but now as mentioned we are in a situation where most of the time the bus is diverted! M3 was in a bizare situation where it replaced the X48, then was cut down to half hourly now is back at every 10 mins, but other than a few stops and a bit of bus lane along the Ring Road, nothing really new there! M1 reintroduced faster links from Hengrove - Town that were lost when the 75A was withdrawn. North it provided a new M32 bus junction that shaves a few minutes off the trip to U.W.E, then a new route through Stoke Gifford/Bradley Stoke which all of a sudden is now economical again considering the X73 which ran a similar route could never make work. But overall a lot of money for a few improvements (Few good). Most could have been provided for a fraction of the cost!

Then we saw a plan for new Metrobus routes, like Bristol - Bath which now seems to have quietly been superseded by the Bristol Transport Corridors plan. Which seems to be a cut down version again or a GBBN 2 if you will (Another scheme briefly mentioned around the time of Metrobus but sure enough faded away!) And lets not forget the Bus Deal!

Now the main focus of this seems to be to stop buses terminating in Bristol City Centre to Improve cycling measures and finish a few bus stop upgrades that were already being done!

1) Route 2 - We have just seen the 2A introduced which I believe is part of this Scheme, which goes against the last idea of splitting the 1 and 2. There are a few proposed changes but really these are quite minor things.

2) Route 75/76 - This in my view will be the biggest change to finally upgrade the route to the standard of the GBBN, although most sections have been upgraded as part of ongoing works, but there are some shelters that still need doing and a lot of stops that need better bases at stops, if anyone has seen the Muller Road Top Southbound stop the road is in an awful condition, where the stop doesn't had a proper base. But otherwise most likely a few upgrades in places. We could see more services from Filton - Bedminster like we have done recently.

3) Route 349 - This might include the idea of Gas buses for Keynsham and a proper update of stops in Keynsham, might also include changes to the Park & Ride. Otherwise what other changes can be made to the A4 from Bristol to Keynsham? Only odd minor changes in places, that were never done as part of the original scheme.

4) Route 48/49 - Hopefully some changes in Downend/Mangotsfield that were left out of the original scheme. Same again what changes can be made along Fishponds Road?

5) Route 17/24/90 - This is an odd one, we know there are changes on Muller Road planned, otherwise we could see some improvements across the 17 route from Fishponds/Kingswood, I seriously think we could see a few new routes Hengrove - Bedminster - Centre - Eastville - Kingswood/Southmead routes. Basically something to stop the 90 needing to terminate in town and to provide more buses along Muller Road/Fishponds Road.

6) M32 - I believe this idea is finally a Park & Ride on the M32 or by then probably an A road! As Highways England have said if you want a Park & Ride on the M32 it will have to be A) Downgraded and B) responsibility for it passing to the Council, which could be a costly problem at Eastville!

7) A370 - Some improvements enroute to Weston. Not sure what else route wise could be done.

8) A4 and A420 - Again an odd choice! Almost like they want to link up the 43 to the Portway Park & Ride.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The second route chosen was the 40's Church Road A420/431 corridors which in my eyes was the first route of the GBBN but it never really was included in the scheme officially.
It's weird because whilst not in the blurb, the vehicles 37318-59 were delivered for the 40-45 wearing on the rear https://www.flickr.com/photos/77751183@N07/24882714860/in/photolist-QGXVUr-GaUKBd-TZd52Y-DUNqeb

As for your comments (and I come in peace).....

Route 75/76 - I'd agree with you in the post Covid world. It was a retrograde step when they elected to reduce the 75/76 frequency at the start of the year.

Route 349 - Where do you start? The Abus fleet is now 16-18 years old and it shows, at least internally. Perhaps Alan might be thinking of taking a well earned retirement and if so, the route is ripe for some improvement. However, Keynsham is now a shadow of itself in terms of footfall and the train does quite well. I think that some improvements to the bus priority could be introduced; I've mentioned the issue of the bottleneck by Arnos Vale and the Printworks before. Could an improved service be introduced that runs every 15 mins (dovetailing with the 39x) from Keynsham and running via the P&R plus some P&R to Centre shorts in peak? Perhaps it could be the m4......Just an idle musing.

Routes 48/49 - Yeah, it's difficult but as with many bus lanes....why make them only peak hour use? How about 7am to 7pm, 7 days a week?

Muller Road - It's an odd one that....can't say much more

A370 - perhaps a full bus lane inbound on Hotswells Road and lose the parking spaces? Flat owners would be up in arms so make it 7/7/7? I don't know how much NSC are on board with buses these days nor the potential scope of any metrobus to North Somerset but perhaps the Nailsea route could be m5 and run via Long Ashton P&R?

I can't see a P&R at the top of the M32.....too contentious and too expensive

Just my thoughts

freetoview33

Established Member
It's weird because whilst not in the blurb, the vehicles 37318-59 were delivered for the 40-45 wearing on the rear https://www.flickr.com/photos/77751183@N07/24882714860/in/photolist-QGXVUr-GaUKBd-TZd52Y-DUNqeb

As for your comments (and I come in peace).....

Route 75/76 - I'd agree with you in the post Covid world. It was a retrograde step when they elected to reduce the 75/76 frequency at the start of the year.

Route 349 - Where do you start? The Abus fleet is now 16-18 years old and it shows, at least internally. Perhaps Alan might be thinking of taking a well earned retirement and if so, the route is ripe for some improvement. However, Keynsham is now a shadow of itself in terms of footfall and the train does quite well. I think that some improvements to the bus priority could be introduced; I've mentioned the issue of the bottleneck by Arnos Vale and the Printworks before. Could an improved service be introduced that runs every 15 mins (dovetailing with the 39x) from Keynsham and running via the P&R plus some P&R to Centre shorts in peak? Perhaps it could be the m4......Just an idle musing.

Routes 48/49 - Yeah, it's difficult but as with many bus lanes....why make them only peak hour use? How about 7am to 7pm, 7 days a week?

Muller Road - It's an odd one that....can't say much more

A370 - perhaps a full bus lane inbound on Hotswells Road and lose the parking spaces? Flat owners would be up in arms so make it 7/7/7? I don't know how much NSC are on board with buses these days nor the potential scope of any metrobus to North Somerset but perhaps the Nailsea route could be m5 and run via Long Ashton P&R?

I can't see a P&R at the top of the M32.....too contentious and too expensive

Just my thoughts
The idea with North Somerset and Metrobus was for the X1 to be diverted over the guided section as the A1 was. I think most changes will be limited to minor things like crossing points ect, nothing that majorly impacts on the bus service. I agree Keynsham is no longer a place to go to rather just a "commuter suburb" but even then I thought the service would be more frequent. But Keynsham is an odd one never the less.

martyjon

I thought GBBN was a project funded by a central government grant award and not by individual councils revenue accounts ( ie council taxpayers money ) and basically bus stop specs were to be similar irrespective of in whose council area the stop was sited ( ie each stop will be provided with a real time display at each stop ).

With regards to a P&R for the M32 most land adjacent to the motorway and ring road has been snapped up by house builders, Crest Nicholson and Linden Homes at Harry Stoke, Persimmon at Ham Hill, yes I didn't know where that was but it's the hill between Hambrook and Stoke Gifford North of the railway line upto the Winterbourne to Patchway road, and finally Redrow Homes has a large advertising boarding in the field East of the M32 ' Coming Soon Frenchay Fields Reserve Now '

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I thought GBBN was a project funded by a central government grant award and not by individual councils revenue accounts ( ie council taxpayers money ) and basically bus stop specs were to be similar irrespective of in whose council area the stop was sited ( ie each stop will be provided with a real time display at each stop ).

With regards to a P&R for the M32 most land adjacent to the motorway and ring road has been snapped up by house builders, Crest Nicholson and Linden Homes at Harry Stoke, Persimmon at Ham Hill, yes I didn't know where that was but it's the hill between Hambrook and Stoke Gifford North of the railway line upto the Winterbourne to Patchway road, and finally Redrow Homes has a large advertising boarding in the field East of the M32 ' Coming Soon Frenchay Fields Reserve Now '

It was a joint bid with all 4 LAs and the funding came from
  • DfT awarded £42.3m
  • First contribution £20m (in the form of the 2007-9 B9s and Eclipses 69449-60??)
  • Developer contributions £5.7m (s106 funding.... where and who?)
  • Local authority contributions £1.8m
  • Total = £69.8m
I assumed that the land from Stoke Gifford to M32 was already sold and that the land near Frenchay was probably sold too. It's prime housebuilding land (though didn't Rovers want to build their ground by Stoke Gifford?) so can't see a chunk given away to a P&R.

freetoview33

Established Member

I think it went as far as a shelter, a real time and raised curb. But the Bristol/Metrobus stops are much better than any is South Glos ect (Other than Metrobus), you must admit most if not all GBBN work was done within the confines of Bristol City Council area!

martyjon

I think it went as far as a shelter, a real time and raised curb.....

SO WHERE ARE OUR REAL TIME DISPLAYS, that is why I'm whining on about, SG provided the RTI displays for 40's routes around Kingswood area in SG but when I spoke up about the failings in the Yate/Sodbury Area when the 40's routes installations were announced all I got was a silent look of embarrassment, a no further work is required reply and a move next agenda item. The matter in my eyes STINKS.

freetoview33

Established Member
SO WHERE ARE OUR REAL TIME DISPLAYS, that is why I'm whining on about, SG provided the RTI displays for 40's routes around Kingswood area in SG but when I spoke up about the failings in the Yate/Sodbury Area when the 40's routes installations were announced all I got was a silent look of embarrassment, a no further work is required reply and a move next agenda item. The matter in my eyes STINKS.
Because Bristol works were prioritised and the money ran out before the schemes were completed. In Bristol they have carried on updating stops anyway and a fair few are done now.

swifty

Established Member

SGC have updated most of the stops on they key routes around east Bristol to RTI on a pole. Stops off the main roads (Longwell Green on the 17 route springs to mind) still aren’t raised curbs and RTI equipped. Heck some stops around Longwell Green still proclaim to be serviced by buses to UWE, Parkway and Cribbs Causeway - links lost when the 318 was withdrawn!
Edit - found this picture on the SGC website of the stops I mean.

1597265572128.jpeg

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
SGC have updated most of the stops on they key routes around east Bristol to RTI on a pole. Stops off the main roads (Longwell Green on the 17 route springs to mind) still aren’t raised curbs and RTI equipped. Heck some stops around Longwell Green still proclaim to be serviced by buses to UWE, Parkway and Cribbs Causeway - links lost when the 318 was withdrawn!
Edit - found this picture on the SGC website of the stops I mean.

View attachment 82153

In Bristol, we still have the 635, 379, 57 and 38 on signs....

swifty

Established Member
In Bristol, we still have the 635, 379, 57 and 38 on signs....

And if you know where to look, RailLink branding for the 8/9 from Cityline days :lol:

Sadly the aformentioed SGC upgrades saw the old Bakers London Flyer flag removed from opposite Hanham depot and the perfectly functional thatched wooden shelter at the top of Willsbridge Hill replaced with a perspex shelter.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
And if you know where to look, RailLink branding for the 8/9 from Cityline days :lol:

Sadly the aformentioed SGC upgrades saw the old Bakers London Flyer flag removed from opposite Hanham depot and the perfectly functional thatched wooden shelter at the top of Willsbridge Hill replaced with a perspex shelter.
I remember that one outside Shaunaks with the London Flyer vinyl. At least we can rely on BaNES for some proper Badgerline flags!

baza585

Sorry @carlberry - 3rd and final travelogue from my week off. Hope it's of interest to folks etc.

Now...time for controversy. Most people seem to hate Streetdecks and they certainly couldn't cope with life on the 376 BUT in terms of build quality and passenger comfort, they were better than the e400mmcs I'd had earlier.

Hope this is of interest. Any info or comments gladly accepted!
Interesting log. Thanks for posting.

Have to agree with your views of E400MMC Citys. Bluestar have some dual doors in southampton and most of them have creaked like an old barge from day 1.

I have limited experience of Streetdecks but in general, I have found Wright bodies generally bolted together better than ADL although whoever decided to put exactly the same Mercedes engine and gearbox in the Streetlite and Streetdeck seems to be ignoring the basic laws of physics. There was talk of a 6 cylinder prototype Streetdeck going to GNE, but I don't think it has happened yet. Streetdeck is clearly set up as a city bus (clue's in the name maybe?) and FWoE were daft to deploy them on the 376 (maybe First had fallen out with Wrights by then and were being deliberately difficult?).

But frankly ADL rules at the moment, and many customers will avoid Ballymena products for some time. Best get used to the creaking.....

Private Baxter

Established Member
Sorry @carlberry - 3rd and final travelogue from my week off. Hope it's of interest to folks etc.

I began my day driving to Bradford on Avon, ready to experience the newly introduced, socially distanced D1x. I had my 3 ply facemask ready and hand sanitiser, ready for the delights of some journeys on the Covid Capsules that politicians now regard buses as. I didn't have long to wait and my first machine was newly arrived ex Manchester/Diamond e400 33715. I'd scanned my e-ticket; the app is now really reliable so no issues and I went upstairs. I was looking forward to this trip as, even in the old days of the X4 when it ran that way, I'd never done the trip through Monkton Farleigh and Sally in the Woods. It's a nice trip even though there are few opportunities to pick up passengers. 33715 was actually pretty tidy internally if rather dull, and it went well. The London Road traffic was very light and so much stopping to wait time. I had some chores to do in Bath so bailed at the Podium, before making my way to the bus station for the 19. This was my golden oldie for the day in B7TL 32545, one of the few remaining ex Glasgow ones. As with 32544 earlier in the week, it was really quite tidy inside so wonder if a mid life refurb was undertaken in 2012/3? The one depressing aspect is the internal adverts.... Perhaps some promotion from First would be good rather than multiple NHS adverts regarding Hepatitis C?? Just a thought. It was a good journey and these are still decent machines, if a little old now.

Arriving at Cadbree 'Eeef, I saw a number of vehicles waiting time including a 1 liveried e400mmc! I decided to exit here, just by the pub where a phone box used to exist before a couple of tearaways blew it up with an industrial firework about 15 years ago (I kid you not). Aside from an m3 and original 39401, this was my first trip on one of the gas buses. The plus points.... quiet engines, and the moquette (that I'm not a fan of @Private Baxter - sorry but it reminds me of a 1970s tube train) goes well with the interior, and the USB charging. The downside of 39423 was evident as we moved off. Lord, the squeaks and creaks and all round symphony of plasticness. It was bad and for a new bus too. I got off at Cecil Road in Kingswood, again to undertake a few errands including dropping a card in to my mates house, wandering past the old Cityline depot before continuing up to catch the 17. This was another gas bus but Green 73 liveried 39470. I hopped on and again, the journey was punctuated by all manner of creaks. I've experienced this before on the dual door non city examples (including the diesel ones) and had attributed it to that aspect of the dual doors but no, it was terrible. Also, and it's been mentioned by others but when I got up to exit at Fishponds, the lack of grab poles is also a less than great change.... does this affect the internal strength and leads to the creaks? I don't know but I was disappointed. The other thing was the total lack of any internal promotion on these new vehicles.... This is major investment, a new set of images, green technology and yet nothing.

I grabbed brunch and then waited for the Y2, still on reduced Covid frequency, and headed for Yate. This was B9 37354 looking rather tired and needing a repaint which I'm sure it will get. It's a nice enough run to Yate and I had thoughts of heading back out on the Y6. However, the Y2 and Y6 are evidently interworking (thought it was the Y5/Y6 but perhaps a change related to Covid) so I eschewed that and instead went for the Y1. In all fairness, 39457 was better in terms of build quality than my two previous e400mmc CNGs but perhaps it was the better roads of the A432, ring road and M32. We fairly sped along through Hambrook where SGC had removed some of the bus lane at the end of last year.... Hopefully when/if they remodel the road to permanently remove the right turn to Winterbourne, it can be reinstated?

I got to Bristol and exited without a plan really of where to go next. I thought I might do the 24 and then get the m2 so I caught the next 24 which wasn't a newly refurbed B9, but one refurbed nonetheless in Unibus 37608, doing a turn on there. It was a short trip as I then decided to change my mind and got off at Bedminster and walked through to catch a 90 to Hengrove, hoping to catch the 96 to Briz. However, it seemed that my Melvin Sq connection actually wouldn't work so I just decided to get it anyway, forgetting it doesn't serve Hengrove Park (doh). Still, it was a nice trip through Glyn Vale and Knowle West (yes, really) on Streetdeck 35146, before I aimed for the 91 back into town on similar 35144 for Temple Meads

Now...time for controversy. Most people seem to hate Streetdecks and they certainly couldn't cope with life on the 376 BUT in terms of build quality and passenger comfort, they were better than the e400mmcs I'd had earlier. Also, another whinge....these had adverts internally for the 90 with fares information.... all wrong. A couple of years ago, FWoE were rightly lauded for Marketing Excellence and I still think they're better than many other firms but being honest, it seems to have slipped a bit. This at a time when they are doing some eye catching stuff like bookable buses with all the attendant promotion for that. It's a contradiction....

I arrived at Temple Meads and ready for my first Aquae, and time to contradict myself. Ex m3 (and Bath U1) e400 36804 duly arrived. I'd checked the app (another good First innovation) and could see there was plenty of space on board. I went upstairs where the air cooling was thankfully doing its job. The heat was oppressive by this time in the day but the level of mask compliance was much better everywhere on the day (in comparison with Wales the day previously where, it has to be said, a good few didn't wear masks and they were mainly people under 30). However, the interior of the Aquae did have great internal presentation, route details on the coving and even colour coordinated notices for things like the USB ports. We headed off and again, I confess, that 36804 wasn't beset my the creaking of the earlier City e400s (or previous experience of this batch). It was a lovely comfortable ride.

I arrived in Bath and could have caught the D1x again but decided to have a coffee at the Nero opposite, seeing 33715 duly depart. Instead, with fire blanket in hand (!), I went off the catch the normal D1. This was Eclipse 69508, it looking like the D2 is being Streetlite operated owing to a shortage of combustible Eclipses. The air-con is no longer used on these machines (has it worked in the last five years?) so rather hot with just two opening hopper windows. We made our way on the A36 through the verdant countryside, delayed at Limpley Stoke by someone having problems turning round their Nissan Qashqai as if it was some artic. Then the loop through Winsley and into BoA where the Melksham road is currently closed so the D1 has to run round the loop then double back to drop through on the Bath Road from the Castle pub. Cue massive traffic congestion....probably not good for a service that has enough reliability challenges. Eventually, I was able to exit into the town, day done.

Hope this is of interest. Any info or comments gladly accepted!
Always enjoy reading your reports. A travel guide might describe your earlier one as the "classic" or "essential" bus tour, this might be the "alternative" or "off the beaten track".;)

We have discussed in some length about the current moquette, but a word on the interiors, I think the interior on the newest buses is the best it has been in a long while. I was never really a fan of the e leather, especially with the pink handles as seen on mid 2010s buses, and I'm glad to see a return to moquette, in some cases replacing the leather. The 2018 Bath solos have, I think, got the best interiors, having got it spot on.

Agree generally with your views and the above poster on streetdecks. They are not bad buses, but as can be almost universally agreed, simply were not right on 376. And whilst this is subjective, I think they look quite good too, particularly in red for the 90 and other south Bristol routes. In fact I think streetdecks would be a good choice for 75 and 76 (as indeed we sometimes see) though it will never happen.

Thanks anyway for sharing, glad you have made some good use of your time off. I'm looking forward to getting out on the buses for the first time in a long time in the coming weeks.

Private Baxter

Established Member
69435-7 did head with the 379 to Bath but you're right in that they didn't operate it much though I remember seeing one on a Sunday 177 turning in Writhlington school. Instead, they seemed to appear on various routes with the 38 being a favourite. The 178/379 went to mainly standard 05 Darts but had short ones and the last of the ex Sheffield SPDs before 47544-50 appeared.

69435/6 did head to Leicester but are now at Worcester for the Salt Road services, nicely refurbished. 69437 did head to Wells, even staying when 69438 later went to Leicester (as did 69439-42 via Lawrence Hill).
That's right, it was darts to begin with, until the streetlites took over.

69435&6 are indeed in Worcester. Last I heard they had received a sort of lime green livery and possible refurb for one of their express routes. However that is a region I otherwise know nothing about.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Bluestar have some dual doors in southampton and most of them have creaked like an old barge from day 1.

That did make me chuckle :D

The Streetdecks simply don't have the wherewithal to run at high speeds and the punishing hills of the 376. I don't think they're a bad machine

We have discussed in some length about the current moquette, but a word on the interiors, I think the interior on the newest buses is the best it has been in a long while. I was never really a fan of the e leather, especially with the pink handles as seen on mid 2010s buses, and I'm glad to see a return to moquette, in some cases replacing the leather. The 2018 Bath solos have, I think, got the best interiors, having got it spot on.

As we've discussed before, we have differing views on the moquette. I prefer it to the eLeather but I just don't like the clash with the rest of the barbie interiors, though in fairness, the gas buses do look better. I just prefer the Cymru interior https://www.flickr.com/photos/joshs...-CTozHB-2emxX41-21q8sAu-24Pjg1Y-DRaw5H-EuL9b9

Thanks anyway for sharing, glad you have made some good use of your time off. I'm looking forward to getting out on the buses for the first time in a long time in the coming weeks.

I'm sure you'll get out. I do like to get out and whilst I appreciate the beauty of rolling countryside, there's also interest in cityscapes.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
That's right, it was darts to begin with, until the streetlites took over.

69435&6 are indeed in Worcester. Last I heard they had received a sort of lime green livery and possible refurb for one of their express routes. However that is a region I otherwise know nothing about.

The Eclipses 69435/6/49-56/59/60 are all in Worcester. They got a refurb similar to this https://www.flickr.com/photos/34016627@N07/49394717362/in/photolist-2ifQQzY-2ifwvC5-FXP5Av/

The Salt Road is the old trunk route to Brum via Bromsgrove https://www.flickr.com/photos/arriv...-2ab3ETq-2awXwiR-TrVUzy-24YqfPF-UDN1iq-Nk8e9s

Private Baxter

Established Member
As we've discussed before, we have differing views on the moquette. I prefer it to the eLeather but I just don't like the clash with the rest of the barbie interiors, though in fairness, the gas buses do look better. I just prefer the Cymru interior https://www.flickr.com/photos/joshs...-CTozHB-2emxX41-21q8sAu-24Pjg1Y-DRaw5H-EuL9b9
Oh now i do like that interior! Wouldn't mind seeing more of that here. Even works with the pink.
The Eclipses 69435/6/49-56/59/60 are all in Worcester. They got a refurb similar to this https://www.flickr.com/photos/34016627@N07/49394717362/in/photolist-2ifQQzY-2ifwvC5-FXP5Av/

The Salt Road is the old trunk route to Brum via Bromsgrove https://www.flickr.com/photos/arriv...-2ab3ETq-2awXwiR-TrVUzy-24YqfPF-UDN1iq-Nk8e9s
Thanks. Might have to do a Worcester to Birmingham trip one day then, then back by train as that is all uncharted territory for me.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks. Might have to do a Worcester to Birmingham trip one day then, then back by train as that is all uncharted territory for me.

I've done a couple of Worcester trips in the last year but only got a short trip on one of the ex Bristol Eclipses (69454?) but as you know, I don't target the actual buses. It's a nice county and there is the almost non-publicised Connecta multi operator ticket so well worth a trip out.

father_jack

Someone mentioned Kingswood, why is the Regent Street inbound stop by "Savers" so particularly decrepit ? The RTI is over the other side of the road by Iceland and the shelter is fit to fall down.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Someone mentioned Kingswood, why is the Regent Street inbound stop by "Savers" so particularly decrepit ? The RTI is over the other side of the road by Iceland and the shelter is fit to fall down.

I always thought it odd that they have that stop anyway when they have Moravian Road round the corner. Especially as vehicles wait time on Cecil Road

swifty

Established Member
I always thought it odd that they have that stop anyway when they have Moravian Road round the corner. Especially as vehicles wait time on Cecil Road
Isn’t it a hangover from when the High Street used to be two way? As you say it doesn’t make much sense to keep it with Moravian Road and Cecil Road just round the corner.