• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

THarris123

Established Member
Can't see where the A37 comes into it as you'd either have to cut across through Blagdon on the A368 or up to South Bristol or beyond. Do you mean the A371? - if so I can perfectly understand why they are not using it.

I was thinking they would collect them from Bristol. I guess the Streetdecks will transfer into Weston in the week.

It would have made more sense to take the B10s to Muller Road and collect the Streetdecks there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
I was thinking they would collect them from Bristol. I guess the Streetdecks will transfer into Weston in the week.

It would have made more sense to take the B10s to Muller Road and collect the Streetdecks there.

The other great bit about that plan would have been the saving on logos as the graffiti would have covered it. I suspect that First dont want £1 million worth of new buses hanging around to be bricked!

Class 33

Established Member
Seen another Enviro 400 MMC on Friday and not in service again. Wonder how long it will be till they're in service on the 1 & 2? I'm looking forward to getting some rides on these.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
You're enjoying the 174 then!

Did think of going to Wells, but it has to work around the 1, which is every 2-3 hours, compared to everything else which is hourly.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Currently on 66108 on 377. It's running really well. Couple of little problems still though.

34176 on 54

You could've gone to Yeovil and depending on timings....

1405 or 1750 Yeovil to Shepton then 1547 (174) or 1915 (161) to Wells followed by the 376 north at 1640 or 1935

However, it would be a route that you should do sooner rather than later. Notices up in Shepton saw that there's another bus service consultation where they will look to withdraw more council funding. "Highlights" are as follows:

Withdraw Saturday services on the 1
Withdraw Saturday services on the 414
Withdraw the 776 in entirety (thought the 174 would affect it)
Withdraw all remaining funding for the 29 and hope BoS run it commercially; didn't know it still had any funding
Service 25 reduced to Taunton to Wiveliscombe; two hourly west of Wivey - suspect some 16 seat minibus and linked with a reduced 198 from Minehead?
Withdraw Saturday services on 51
Withdraw Saturday services on 16

There's a number of other changes proposed as well
Service 20 to run Wellington to Seaton only

matt_splat

i do not understand what is with the idea to withdraw services on a saturday

i guess there are some commercial trips on the 1 on a saturday?

instead of cuts creativity would work as well.....

you could create more passengers on the 414/424 by dropping the 184, you then merge part of the 184 and 176 together to create a link between Shepton and Frome via Villages between the only people who lose out would be a small area of Chilcompton and Riverside in Norton.

i also wonder why routes like this on a saturday don't get simple service that runs from 9am until 3pm busses to get you too the shops and back early

Robertj21a

On Moderation

you could create more passengers on the 414/424 by dropping the 184, you then merge part of the 184 and 176 together to create a link between Shepton and Frome via Villages between the only people who lose out would be a small area of Chilcompton and Riverside in Norton.

i also wonder why routes like this on a saturday don't get simple service that runs from 9am until 3pm busses to get you too the shops and back early

Across much of the country Saturdays are becoming extremely quiet on the buses, notably the afternoons. Sunday services are often more heavily used nowadays.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
As threatened, a resume of a day out yesterday. Apologies in advance if it's boring....

Started the day driving into Radstock but noticed my target bus was seemingly early. Not wishing to park the car and then miss it, I drove out of town and parked up at Clandown turn and caught my first machine of the day. It was the 0724 173 to Bath and was regular B7RLE 69442 and a relaxed journey into the city as the light began to fade into the day.

Time for a short break in Bath and saw 42557 on the 14 (will this leave for Essex?) and 42926 arriving on a 231 (thought this should be in Lowestoft). A tatty looking 60914 on the 5 as well showing where First fleetnames had been removed and then restored after its BoS logos had been used for a while. However, my next journey was the 319 at 0810 and was similar 60912 which has been repainted.

At some point, this one has been refurbished and, I have to say, it wasn't as uncomfortable as other ones I've experienced. What it did do was rattle; usually Wrightbus products are well put together but this crashed and bashed and rattled all the way through to Cherry Gardens where I disembarked leaving the driver with only one other passenger. A brisk walk past Willsbridge station and around the corner to wait for my next machine which I thought might be a B10BLE but instead was another B7L. This was ex Norwich 66347, still wearing the blue flashes by the destination from its East Anglian route branding. This clearly hadn't had any refurbishment and was very tired inside with threadbare seats and a general down at heel look, though it was warm whereas 60912 had been freezing. Two things - the bus seemed early (though with the 173 earlier, perhaps my watch was wrong) but we didn't go via Somervale. Is this something that it's going to do in future or should it go there now?

Into Keynsham and a quick latte in Coffee #1 before wandering to Temple Street and the 38. This could be almost anything but was a short Streetlite 47544 which allowed me to get warm again whilst affording a view around the various estates in Keynsham before looping back into town and then out through Hicks Gate and to Bristol.

I left in Brislington and waited for the 36 which duly arrived with elderly 42710. Probably my last ride on that one as many have been withdrawn already and it was rather tired. I sat down behind two new drivers whilst their instructor got up every so often to guide the other newbie driving. Interesting to eavesdrop and understand how First now route train their drivers. The 36 is a curious route and a favourite of mine providing a number of tertiary links and so it was that I got off at Knowle.

It was then on the 376 and the second B7RLE with 69443 for a relaxing ride through the countryside. We had a decent load (35?) and made our way in leisurely fashion along the A37. It got me thinking....It's been a while since I got the 376 INTO Wells from the North. Done so many permutations (e.g. out of Wells north, or from into Bristol from Farrington, or Street to Wells) but not that one. Into the city and a short wander to the depot where I hoped to find a Streetdeck - it had gone! Instead, there was just 42738 as the single spare bus and hoardings around the shed entrance - take it they're doing the work to allow deckers to enter the shed?

I went back to the bus station for my 161 which was recently reallocated 42704, there because it has an MOT til June whereas I suspect 42731 didn't! Now, having had 42710 earlier (and the dreadful 42701 a few weeks ago), I didn't have a good feeling about this but actually, it wasn't bad. Granted, it was a little sluggish and had a few rattles but hey, it's nearly 18 years old and all things considered, not a bad little thing. We squeezed through Dinder especially difficult because of the inconsiderate parking of one person, and you wonder what they might get for it? A Solo, the one MPD, or a standard Dart - who knows?

Into a very wet Shepton and a quick Costa. Sadly, they were so slow in there (it was lunchtime, it was busy, they had people on breaks but 10 mins to get served....) that I got my latte to go and went back to get my first taste of the 174. It was 1234 and my steed was a B10BLE with 66160. We did pass a 2009 B7RLE but I was glad to get some vintage stuff. I don't think 66160 is perhaps one of the best. The vehicle itself was comfortable but it didn't seem to like the climbs out of Shepton and especially out of Nettlebridge. We had about 9 passengers out of Shepton and dropped one in Oakhill but collected 3 out of Stratton, but the number from Shepton to Bath is encouraging. The 174is a smart move though looks like it will be the death knell for the 776.

I got off at Clandown into the car, and drove to my mates' house near Camerton, left it there whilst his other half took us to Timsbury where we caught the 178 to Bristol. This was 47545 and a nice ride back along through Farmborough and Keynsham though us two and one other person were the only passengers.

Traffic was horrendous in Bristol near Old Market and the driver could've just avoided it had he asked if anyone wanted dropping at Cabot as we were all wanting the bus station. Into the bus station, my mate went to the cashpoint and then we selected our bus to Hotwells. The North Somerset services were all suffering delays, but I don't know why as we headed off on 47557. Nothing obvious on that stretch as we got off, headed for the Nova Scotia as part of a pub crawl back towards the city and Temple Meads. 8.5 pints later, we left the Colosseum pub near St Mary Redcliffe and headed to the station to get the last bus back to Timsbury. It was 47545 again, it was warm and dry and fairly busy and took us back, depositing us before we walked back towards Camerton in the wet murk of northern Somerset.

I know I've waffled but hope it was of interest

I guess the Monday to Friday off peak service is underpinned by schools so the marginal cost is just the fuel whereas a Saturday needs to have a driver cost attached to it

The 184 runs only M-F anyway and I'm not certain cutting it will force patronage up on the 414 which is quicker anyway between Frome and Norton. However, with the 776 going, it would leave places like Coleford without a Saturday service.....Perhaps the 184 might gain a Saturday service? I think the 1 is fully supported on a Saturday - the consultation says withdraw service completely - in other instances, it mentions services with commercial options already or that the operator may seek to replace commercially but neither of those are stated with the 1

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
As threatened, a resume of a day out yesterday. Apologies in advance if it's boring....

Started the day driving into Radstock but noticed my target bus was seemingly early. Not wishing to park the car and then miss it, I drove out of town and parked up at Clandown turn and caught my first machine of the day. It was the 0724 173 to Bath and was regular B7RLE 69442 and a relaxed journey into the city as the light began to fade into the day.

Time for a short break in Bath and saw 42557 on the 14 (will this leave for Essex?) and 42926 arriving on a 231 (thought this should be in Lowestoft). A tatty looking 60914 on the 5 as well showing where First fleetnames had been removed and then restored after its BoS logos had been used for a while. However, my next journey was the 319 at 0810 and was similar 60912 which has been repainted.

At some point, this one has been refurbished and, I have to say, it wasn't as uncomfortable as other ones I've experienced. What it did do was rattle; usually Wrightbus products are well put together but this crashed and bashed and rattled all the way through to Cherry Gardens where I disembarked leaving the driver with only one other passenger. A brisk walk past Willsbridge station and around the corner to wait for my next machine which I thought might be a B10BLE but instead was another B7L. This was ex Norwich 66347, still wearing the blue flashes by the destination from its East Anglian route branding. This clearly hadn't had any refurbishment and was very tired inside with threadbare seats and a general down at heel look, though it was warm whereas 60912 had been freezing. Two things - the bus seemed early (though with the 173 earlier, perhaps my watch was wrong) but we didn't go via Somervale. Is this something that it's going to do in future or should it go there now?

Into Keynsham and a quick latte in Coffee #1 before wandering to Temple Street and the 38. This could be almost anything but was a short Streetlite 47544 which allowed me to get warm again whilst affording a view around the various estates in Keynsham before looping back into town and then out through Hicks Gate and to Bristol.

I left in Brislington and waited for the 36 which duly arrived with elderly 42710. Probably my last ride on that one as many have been withdrawn already and it was rather tired. I sat down behind two new drivers whilst their instructor got up every so often to guide the other newbie driving. Interesting to eavesdrop and understand how First now route train their drivers. The 36 is a curious route and a favourite of mine providing a number of tertiary links and so it was that I got off at Knowle.

It was then on the 376 and the second B7RLE with 69443 for a relaxing ride through the countryside. We had a decent load (35?) and made our way in leisurely fashion along the A37. It got me thinking....It's been a while since I got the 376 INTO Wells from the North. Done so many permutations (e.g. out of Wells north, or from into Bristol from Farrington, or Street to Wells) but not that one. Into the city and a short wander to the depot where I hoped to find a Streetdeck - it had gone! Instead, there was just 42738 as the single spare bus and hoardings around the shed entrance - take it they're doing the work to allow deckers to enter the shed?

I went back to the bus station for my 161 which was recently reallocated 42704, there because it has an MOT til June whereas I suspect 42731 didn't! Now, having had 42710 earlier (and the dreadful 42701 a few weeks ago), I didn't have a good feeling about this but actually, it wasn't bad. Granted, it was a little sluggish and had a few rattles but hey, it's nearly 18 years old and all things considered, not a bad little thing. We squeezed through Dinder especially difficult because of the inconsiderate parking of one person, and you wonder what they might get for it? A Solo, the one MPD, or a standard Dart - who knows?

Into a very wet Shepton and a quick Costa. Sadly, they were so slow in there (it was lunchtime, it was busy, they had people on breaks but 10 mins to get served....) that I got my latte to go and went back to get my first taste of the 174. It was 1234 and my steed was a B10BLE with 66160. We did pass a 2009 B7RLE but I was glad to get some vintage stuff. I don't think 66160 is perhaps one of the best. The vehicle itself was comfortable but it didn't seem to like the climbs out of Shepton and especially out of Nettlebridge. We had about 9 passengers out of Shepton and dropped one in Oakhill but collected 3 out of Stratton, but the number from Shepton to Bath is encouraging. The 174is a smart move though looks like it will be the death knell for the 776.

I got off at Clandown into the car, and drove to my mates' house near Camerton, left it there whilst his other half took us to Timsbury where we caught the 178 to Bristol. This was 47545 and a nice ride back along through Farmborough and Keynsham though us two and one other person were the only passengers.

Traffic was horrendous in Bristol near Old Market and the driver could've just avoided it had he asked if anyone wanted dropping at Cabot as we were all wanting the bus station. Into the bus station, my mate went to the cashpoint and then we selected our bus to Hotwells. The North Somerset services were all suffering delays, but I don't know why as we headed off on 47557. Nothing obvious on that stretch as we got off, headed for the Nova Scotia as part of a pub crawl back towards the city and Temple Meads. 8.5 pints later, we left the Colosseum pub near St Mary Redcliffe and headed to the station to get the last bus back to Timsbury. It was 47545 again, it was warm and dry and fairly busy and took us back, depositing us before we walked back towards Camerton in the wet murk of northern Somerset.

I guess the Monday to Friday off peak service is underpinned by schools so the marginal cost is just the fuel whereas a Saturday needs to have a driver cost attached to it

The 184 runs only M-F anyway and I'm not certain cutting it will force patronage up on the 414 which is quicker anyway between Frome and Norton. However, with the 776 going, it would leave places like Coleford without a Saturday service.....Perhaps the 184 might gain a Saturday service? I think the 1 is fully supported on a Saturday - the consultation says withdraw service completely - in other instances, it mentions services with commercial options already or that the operator may seek to replace commercially but neither of those are stated with the 1

Sounds like a really nice day. Glad you enjoyed the 174 too. 42704 was my favourite R-BAE - I had it on a regular occasion in Bath whilst working there in 2013 on 5 and had no problems with it at all.

It's strange to say, but I do miss sitting down on some Darts - I just seem to be stuck with the B7RLEs (soon to be Streetdecks) and Geminis/E400s (on 75/76). When I took a trip on 42907 yesterday it was a really nice ride. I do wish they made Darts again, rather than the rubbish E200s.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Can't see where the A37 comes into it as you'd either have to cut across through Blagdon on the A368 or up to South Bristol or beyond. Do you mean the A371? - if so I can perfectly understand why they are not using it.
So can I. I wouldn't see them getting / risking a StreetDeck through Banwell.

Dave

henairs

/I]

Hi Wazoo,
Remember in the last proposed round of cuts that SWC 1 was on the list to be withdrawn on a Saturday so seems like another go at doing just that.
Will leave places like Castle Cary without any Saturday services as the 667 is on the list also.
An interesting read about your travels so thanks for posting.
I was an hour in front of you with 66173 on 174 again a reasonable loading with both Oakhill and Stratton seeing custom.
As it was so wet and drear in Bath I left earlier than planned on 69438 which was the B7 you saw on 174. Guess the B10s have little time left now so worth a ride or two while their still available.
Cheers, Mike Russell

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
/I]Hi Wazoo,
Remember in the last proposed round of cuts that SWC 1 was on the list to be withdrawn on a Saturday so seems like another go at doing just that.
Will leave places like Castle Cary without any Saturday services as the 667 is on the list also.
An interesting read about your travels so thanks for posting.
I was an hour in front of you with 66173 on 174 again a reasonable loading with both Oakhill and Stratton seeing custom.
As it was so wet and drear in Bath I left earlier than planned on 69438 which was the B7 you saw on 174. Guess the B10s have little time left now so worth a ride or two while their still available.
Cheers, Mike Russell

Yep, looks like another bite of the cherry. The 414/424 was also on the hit list before but was saved. The comparison with other neighbouring counties is stark! Poor old Hatch Green will lose a bit of work though!!

My trip out was to enjoy some nice scenery plus a bit of urban grit, experience the 174 and hopefully going on routes like the 161, 174 and the 36, you'd get some older fleet that won't be here in two months' time. I'll miss the B10BLEs (though obviously, a couple will survive in Bath as will some with BoS) as they've served the public well, and I don't think I've had many nicer journeys than being on 66104 on the last 310 out of Dursley as I did last summer.

Marcus Fryer

Two things - the bus seemed early (though with the 173 earlier, perhaps my watch was wrong) but we didn't go via Somervale. Is this something that it's going to do in future or should it go there now? [end QUOTE]

I think all the 17/17A should go via Somervale (or is it Somerdale as shown on Traveline?). Caught the 10:10 ex Southmead last Thursday and that called in there (without stopping).

THarris123

Established Member
I'm a bit unhappy about the roadshows for the Mendip Xplorer. Why have them between 10 and 2 only in Wells/Glastonbury. The majority of the passengers who will benefit from Deckers on 376 are commuters, most of which travel into Bristol. So why not have a road show in Bristol Bus Station on one evening? That would make more sense surely? And why have a road show in January two months after the launch?

CardiffBus362

First Avon and Somerset have been participating in recent South Wales Rail Replacement, which involved a few darts up a few weekends. God knows why First Cymru couldn't do it!

freetoview33

Established Member
First Avon and Somerset have been participating in recent South Wales Rail Replacement, which involved a few darts up a few weekends. God knows why First Cymru couldn't do it!

I did wonder who would operate the rail replacement! Was it on the services that went through the tunnel to Pilning, Patchway ect?

iantherev

I did wonder who would operate the rail replacement! Was it on the services that went through the tunnel to Pilning, Patchway ect?

There have been deckers and Darts used on Ebbw Vale services, including the X7 deckers out stationed on the Welsh side of the Bridge on Sundays. As to why Cymru is not involved, Bristol is as close as Port Talbot (where Cymru's deckers are based).
I'm a bit unhappy about the roadshows for the Mendip Xplorer. Why have them between 10 and 2 only in Wells/Glastonbury. The majority of the passengers who will benefit from Deckers on 376 are commuters, most of which travel into Bristol. So why not have a road show in Bristol Bus Station on one evening? That would make more sense surely? And why have a road show in January two months after the launch?

Commuters will continue to use the 376 regardless of what turns up. I suspect the exercise is to encourage passengers who will fill up these nice new double deckers in the middle of the day.

1905 Group

66332 on 3/4 today, and 42707 still working on the 1 luckily. Haven't seen any of the others today. Nothing else of note today, maybe 42901 on 18 (usually Street****e)

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Further observations today:

1/2: 66345
3/4: 66326, 37764
7: 66337
42: 66162
73: 47564

Also, the newer 63-reg Weston Enviro 400s (33825-33830) have been debranded from the X1, hence the frequent recent appearances on the X6.

vicbury

Travelled on 42907 and 42916 over the weekend, both of which are good runners. Shame Bath can't look after all their buses properly.

42557 was on the 14 earlier sounding horrific; also a Solo on the 14 tonight. First seem to be consistently missing certain morning journeys on the 14, is there still a shortage of drivers?

Finally based on what I saw of Portsmouth, it is Streetlite-City, barely anything else there!

pompeyfan

Established Member
In terms of first in portsmouth, you're correct that there's not much variety. That said stock like the scania's make up for some of the variety, stagecoach are a wash of enviro's.

THarris123

Established Member
When I went down to Portsmouth last year, it did have quite a few Streetlite Maxs running around. It should have quite a bit of variety though with Scanias, B7s, Solos, Streetlites, Citaros and Enviros.

Mr White says that 66106 has now been withdrawn :(

He also states that 66335/45 and 60911 have entered service.
Obs this morning include 3 deckers on 50/51 - must be a record! 66162 on 7 and 32076 on 37 - is there a decker board on 37?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
When I went down to Portsmouth last year, it did have quite a few Streetlite Maxs running around. It should have quite a bit of variety though with Scanias, B7s, Solos, Streetlites, Citaros and Enviros.

Mr White says that 66106 has now been withdrawn :(

He also states that 66335/45 and 60911 have entered service.
Obs this morning include 3 deckers on 50/51 - must be a record! 66162 on 7 and 32076 on 37 - is there a decker board on 37?

Don't think the 37 has a specific decker board but Bath is always a bit fluid in terms of allocations!! Deckers on the 37 aren't unknown, of course and Bath depot has got a lot more deckers now with the Unibus ones plus two ex Leicester B7s and two Tridents so guess it will happen!

Last edited:

ryson357

PH0000132/11 - FIRST SOMERSET & AVON LTD T/A FIRST, ENTERPRISE HOUSE, EASTON ROAD, BRISTOL, BS5 0DZ
Variation Accepted: Operating between BRISTOL Bus Station and YATE Shopping centre given service number 46/X46 effective from 10-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

PH0000132/307 - FIRST SOMERSET & AVON LTD T/A FIRST, ENTERPRISE HOUSE, EASTON ROAD, BRISTOL, BS5 0DZ
Variation Accepted: Operating between Yate Shopping Centre and Longwell Green, The Butchers Arms given service number 81 effective from 10-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

PH0007208/21 - FIRST BRISTOL LIMITED, LAWRENCE HILL DEPOT, EASTON ROAD, BRISTOL, BS5 0DZ
Variation Accepted: Operating between CRIBBS CAUSEWAY Bus Station and BROOMHILL/ STOCKWOOD given service number 1/2 effective from 10-Jan-2016. To amend Timetable.

PH0007208/95 - FIRST BRISTOL LIMITED, LAWRENCE HILL DEPOT, EASTON ROAD, BRISTOL, BS5 0DZ
Variation Accepted: Operating between Southmead Hospital and Keynsham, Ashton Way given service number 17/17A effective from 10-Jan-2016. To amend Timetable.

PH0007208/104 - FIRST BRISTOL LIMITED, LAWRENCE HILL DEPOT, EASTON ROAD, BRISTOL, BS5 0DZ
Variation Accepted: Operating between Broadmead, Lewins Mead and Thornbury, Rock Street given service number 77 effective from 10-Jan-2016. To amend Timetable.

THarris123

Established Member
PH0000132/11 - FIRST SOMERSET & AVON LTD T/A FIRST, ENTERPRISE HOUSE, EASTON ROAD, BRISTOL, BS5 0DZ
Variation Accepted: Operating between BRISTOL Bus Station and YATE Shopping centre given service number 46/X46 effective from 10-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

PH0000132/307 - FIRST SOMERSET & AVON LTD T/A FIRST, ENTERPRISE HOUSE, EASTON ROAD, BRISTOL, BS5 0DZ
Variation Accepted: Operating between Yate Shopping Centre and Longwell Green, The Butchers Arms given service number 81 effective from 10-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

PH0007208/21 - FIRST BRISTOL LIMITED, LAWRENCE HILL DEPOT, EASTON ROAD, BRISTOL, BS5 0DZ
Variation Accepted: Operating between CRIBBS CAUSEWAY Bus Station and BROOMHILL/ STOCKWOOD given service number 1/2 effective from 10-Jan-2016. To amend Timetable.

PH0007208/95 - FIRST BRISTOL LIMITED, LAWRENCE HILL DEPOT, EASTON ROAD, BRISTOL, BS5 0DZ
Variation Accepted: Operating between Southmead Hospital and Keynsham, Ashton Way given service number 17/17A effective from 10-Jan-2016. To amend Timetable.

PH0007208/104 - FIRST BRISTOL LIMITED, LAWRENCE HILL DEPOT, EASTON ROAD, BRISTOL, BS5 0DZ
Variation Accepted: Operating between Broadmead, Lewins Mead and Thornbury, Rock Street given service number 77 effective from 10-Jan-2016. To amend Timetable.

Hmmm interesting. Wonder what the route changes are on 46/X46?

swifty

Established Member
Don't think the 37 has a specific decker board but Bath is always a bit fluid in terms of allocations!! Deckers on the 37 aren't unknown, of course and Bath depot has got a lot more deckers now with the Unibus ones plus two ex Leicester B7s and two Tridents so guess it will happen!

The 0625 from Bath into 0714 on the 37 is always an ALX400 working, due to the loadings out to Bristol to Oldfield, and of course it can't be a Gemin as they don't legally fit under the Avon Valley Railway.

Going back to your query on the 17 and Somerdale, all services in and out of Keynsham should call in looping round the old turning circle by the car park entrance, IIRC there is only one bus stop near the entrance. Vehicle wise it's tending to sway more towards B7Ls now than B10s, but the ALX300s are still frequent bets.

Also some odd allocations with 45764 on the 44 this evening followed by 42898 on the 45.

Been thinking about this one today and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it follow the old 83 route to Kingswood and then head down Hanham Road to give a 30 min frequency between Kingswood and Hanham after the uproar over the 44 re routing.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The 0625 from Bath into 0714 on the 37 is always an ALX400 working, due to the loadings out to Bristol to Oldfield, and of course it can't be a Gemin as they don't legally fit under the Avon Valley Railway.

Going back to your query on the 17 and Somerdale, all services in and out of Keynsham should call in looping round the old turning circle by the car park entrance, IIRC there is only one bus stop near the entrance. Vehicle wise it's tending to sway more towards B7Ls now than B10s, but the ALX300s are still frequent bets.

Also some odd allocations with 45764 on the 44 this evening followed by 42898 on the 45.

Been thinking about this one today and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it follow the old 83 route to Kingswood and then head down Hanham Road to give a 30 min frequency between Kingswood and Hanham after the uproar over the 44 re routing.

Ah, thanks for that on the 37. I recall when it was the 332 that one of the two boards was always an ALX but thought it had ceased when the 319 was upped. Thanks for putting me right.

As for 17, I thought it would be 50/50 on getting a B10BLE rather than a B7L but I didn't mind. Whilst it may have been nice to have a B10, I was more intrigued on the route and to have a run via Somervale - some other time!!

Besides, I'd lined up the 36, 161 and 174 so opportunities for old tat were strong (and so it proved). However, it was also a chance to try out the 174 for the first time, revisit the 161 which I'd not done in ages, and have a ride on the 36 which may be my favourite Bristol area route. All quite scenic in their own ways!

THarris123

Established Member
Interesting that Steve White says that 66346 has turned up as well - that means something's changed in that list of swaps between the west and Norwich. Could be see different Darts head over? I'm still hoping for 42925/6/38/9 and 42557.