• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

pompeyfan

Established Member
Sorry but I disagree, there's nothing wrong with the majority of them. I'll agree that they're not as smooth as any sort of enviro, but I wouldn't say they're awful. Saying that, my depot has had them for coming up to 3 years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marcus Fryer

In Bristol, 39192 has finally been seen in service on the 72, and apparently 35116 has been branded for the 72 too!

Presumably not as 'electricity'!

I see part of the bus station at UWE is being dug up. Could this be for installing a charging point? About a week ago got a short ride on 39191 to UWE (not over the 'air quality' section), and there was an articulated lorry parked up in the east layby.

Romney Avenue bus link still blocked last Sunday!
No bus stops on Long Down Avenue, so can't tell whether the 72 will approach Danby St from the east or west once it starts using the link.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Presumably not as 'electricity'!

I see part of the bus station at UWE is being dug up. Could this be for installing a charging point? About a week ago got a short ride on 39191 to UWE (not over the 'air quality' section), and there was an articulated lorry parked up in the east layby.

Romney Avenue bus link still blocked last Sunday!
No bus stops on Long Down Avenue, so can't tell whether the 72 will approach Danby St from the east or west once it starts using the link.

Pic of 39192 parked on UWE charging plate on Steve White's site

BBC

Sorry but I disagree, there's nothing wrong with the majority of them. I'll agree that they're not as smooth as any sort of enviro, but I wouldn't say they're awful. Saying that, my depot has had them for coming up to 3 years.

Hengrove?

Class 33

Established Member
Managed to get a ride on the Enviro 400 VE on the 72 earlier. I saw it in Union Street just going round to terminate round the corner, and thought ah I'll get a ride on that home to Redland in just a mo! Nice bus, comfortable seating, nice engine sound! Not surprisingly though that despite this being a bus built with dual doors, the middle door is NOT used as an exit door but is used as an emergency exit door! I did think it would be too good to be true for dual door buses to be back in use in Bristol again after many years!(with exception to those bendy buses on the Park & Ride services) Still, nice buses though!

BBC

Bit confused why the 72 is getting deckers when it can barley fill a dart.

Maybe as its new technology they don't want to put it on a money making commercial route incase it breaks down? probably not the reason tho :D

matt_splat

isn't it on the 72 because first are working with the uwe to analyse the use of the bus? so i'd expect the 72 is the most suitable uwe service for it to run on

Class 33

Established Member
Think there's only going to be just one double decker on the 72, the others all single deckers.

Last edited:
Noticed one of the pink street decks with revised fleet names. Gone is the 'Bristol 2015 Green Capital', replaced by.. The same Bristol logo sans the 2015 green capital tagline. All slightly bigger. Looked smart.

BBC

"68 new vehicles worth £18.1m are earmarked for its operations"

Lots of new vehicles this year for the south west, 45 of them are not actually specified yet but will be deckers.

DaveHarries

Established Member
"68 new vehicles worth £18.1m are earmarked for its operations"

Lots of new vehicles this year for the south west, 45 of them are not actually specified yet but will be deckers.
Wrightbus vehicles, or ADL?

If ADL then Bristol are getting, I think, 12x Enviro400 MMC as a result of First regaining Park & Ride services 902 & 904 from CTPlus while 8 are going to Bath for the uni route there. Meanwhile First Kernow are getting 30x Enviro400 MMC which, it is being guessed, will be split between Falmouth routes U1 - U3 and the 14/18.

Dave

BBC

If ADL then Bristol are getting, I think, 12x Enviro400 MMC as a result of First regaining Park & Ride services 902 & 904 from CTPlus while 8 are going to Bath for the uni route there. Meanwhile First Kernow are getting 30x Enviro400 MMC which, it is being guessed, will be split between Falmouth routes U1 - U3 and the 14/18.

Dave

45 of the whole order are ADL Enviro 400 double decker (exact spec to be confirmed) and that may be the gas buses but this is unknown at the moment, 20 are for P&R and bath Uni so the other three are streetdecks?

Looks like all the new buses are DDs for Bristol then.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Dave

I understand that the Kernow split is confirmed not guessed.

THarris123

Established Member
Just a little thought on the new order:

We have 30 W reg deckers
We have 23 (?) 51 reg deckers

The order we have for WoE is:
12 non replacement deckers for P&R
45 replacement deckers
8 replacement deckers in Bath
3 extra deckers

If my thoughts and calculations are right, are we going to see all the 51 reg ALXs and W reg vehicles go?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

We have 30 W reg deckers

45 replacement deckers
3 extra deckers

If my thoughts and calculations are right, are we going to see all the 51 reg ALXs and W reg vehicles go?

There are 33 W reg deckers - 22 native B7TLs, 3 ex Bradford B7TLs and 8 Tridents.

The W regs will probably go as PSVAR non compliant. As for the ex Leicester fleet, that may be trickier to foretell. Could easily see some mid life vehicles cascaded out of Bristol?

Robertj21a

On Moderation

We have 30 W reg deckers

45 replacement deckers
3 extra deckers

If the W-reg are not DDA-compliant then they have to go anyway by 31/12.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Can anyone confirm what's on 10, 5 and 13 in Bath today?

Some observations in Bath lunchtime today.

The 5 had the usual offering of 663xx plus 66884.

The 10 (what was that about bigger buses?) 42904 53808/14/17 53204.
Of the 19 Solos I reckon are on the Bath allocation I saw 16. I did not observe 53809/11/19. 57000 didn't put in an appearance either.

On the 13 the normal 4452x plus 42968 (driver recruitment posters removed)
However the downside (?) was that 44914 and our old friend 44915 also appeared on the 13.

Faresaver are now running their X31 and X72 from Bay 6 in the bus station.

A senior member of staff stated 62238/42 are delicenced at the depot and confirmed modified 63068 is back, having been away since August 2015.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Some observations in Bath lunchtime today.

On the 13 the normal 4452x plus 42968 (driver recruitment posters removed)
However the downside (?) was that 44914 and our old friend 44915 also appeared on the 13.

A senior member of staff stated 62238/42 are delicenced at the depot and confirmed modified 63068 is back, having been away since August 2015.

Bit of enviro quality - perhaps improved after some TLC at WSM

I had suggested that the B10BLEs might go though I did think they may have lasted a couple more weeks. Are the Dorset Solars still around?