• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

THarris123

Established Member
No BCC are insistent that metrobus will be single deckers.

That's interesting. So the deckers on the 90 will have to be replaced by singles. So really my point still applies - i.e. they'll repaint them when Metrobus arrives.

That's going to be very interesting with single decks - i assume a gas version of the E200MMC? They'll probably have to have some services going every 5 mins.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

freetoview33

Established Member
Metrobus will be commercial, under a Quality Partnership scheme, with means they will be told what buses and what frequency ect.

So I wouldn't put money on any current services being replaced outright, especially if First don't get it.

Proposed services were at least as follows.

X47: Long Ashton Park & Ride - Temple Meads (Every 5-10 mins)
SBL: Bristol Parkway - Lyde Green (Every 20 mins)
X90: Cribbs - Hengrove (Every 10 mins)
X91: Hengrove - South Bristol Link - Long Ashton P&R - Temple Meads (Every 20 mins)
X93: Hengrove - Centre - Lyde Green (Every 20 mins)

So Hengrove - Centre will be very frequent. But are more express services, so it's likely the 90 will remain but be only hourly or half hourly.

Marc

That's interesting. So the deckers on the 90 will have to be replaced by singles.

no they wont - service 90 in its currant form is not part of metrobus.

Metrobus will be commercial, under a Quality Partnership scheme, with means they will be told what buses and what frequency ect.

So I wouldn't put money on any current services being replaced outright, especially if First don't get it.

Proposed services were at least as follows.

X47: Long Ashton Park & Ride - Temple Meads (Every 5-10 mins)
SBL: Bristol Parkway - Lyde Green (Every 20 mins)
X90: Cribbs - Hengrove (Every 10 mins)
X91: Hengrove - South Bristol Link - Long Ashton P&R - Temple Meads (Every 20 mins)
X93: Hengrove - Centre - Lyde Green (Every 20 mins)

So Hengrove - Centre will be very frequent. But are more express services, so it's likely the 90 will remain but be only hourly or half hourly.

this all assumes that there are any commercial operators who want to run services to such a high frequency. in particuler the centre to henfrove part of x90 or x93 will have barely any priority fasilities or bus only road. they also cover bits of route which have tradisionally been poor - hartcliff way, inns court - and run thro west street which already has at least 20 buses an hour without any metrobus services!!

and because of the councils smart card only policy on metrobus, most ppl probably wont be able to use the things where they are on the same route as convensional buses.

freetoview33

Established Member
no they wont - service 90 in its currant form is not part of metrobus.

this all assumes that there are any commercial operators who want to run services to such a high frequency. in particuler the centre to henfrove part of x90 or x93 will have barely any priority fasilities or bus only road. they also cover bits of route which have tradisionally been poor - hartcliff way, inns court - and run thro west street which already has at least 20 buses an hour without any metrobus services!!

and because of the councils smart card only policy on metrobus, most ppl probably wont be able to use the things where they are on the same route as convensional buses.

Other buses will be able to use the new routes if needed.
Like the A1 and X1 apparently

Colly405

So the new 8 every 10 minutes via Clifton Village & Clifton. And the new 9 only every 30 minutes(or even less frequently than that at some parts of the day!) via Cotham, Redland, part of Clifton, then back via Redland and Cotham again.

Remember that this isn't the first time they've made changes affecting the Clifton/Cotham/Redland services that have resulted in the Clifton side having a much higher frequency than the Cotham/Redland side.

A few years ago (can't remember when) there were far fewer 8s and 9s doing the full circle but there were extra buses (8a?) going Temple Meads - Clifton - Blackboy Hill only, with the 9a (?) doing the reverse.

And before that, (2001/2002?) there was the extra route 180 that ran Temple Meads - Clifton Village, giving Clifton far more buses than Cotham. For those that weren't around, the 180 ran via Victoria St not Bond St, and was introduced at the same time as the Class 180 Adelante trains on the London run; it was operated using the 1994 low floor Wright Pathfinder Dennis Lances originally in London, ODZ 8918 (fleet no. 8918) and her sisters.

Does Cotham/Redland need more than half-hourly? You can write off the University traffic as that is stitched up with the 16. There is the hourly 77 at the south end, and the half-hourly 72 at the north end. Not sure it really needs more?

Class 33

Established Member
Remember that this isn't the first time they've made changes affecting the Clifton/Cotham/Redland services that have resulted in the Clifton side having a much higher frequency than the Cotham/Redland side.

A few years ago (can't remember when) there were far fewer 8s and 9s doing the full circle but there were extra buses (8a?) going Temple Meads - Clifton - Blackboy Hill only, with the 9a (?) doing the reverse.

And before that, (2001/2002?) there was the extra route 180 that ran Temple Meads - Clifton Village, giving Clifton far more buses than Cotham. For those that weren't around, the 180 ran via Victoria St not Bond St, and was introduced at the same time as the Class 180 Adelante trains on the London run; it was operated using the 1994 low floor Wright Pathfinder Dennis Lances originally in London, ODZ 8918 (fleet no. 8918) and her sisters.

Does Cotham/Redland need more than half-hourly? You can write off the University traffic as that is stitched up with the 16. There is the hourly 77 at the south end, and the half-hourly 72 at the north end. Not sure it really needs more?

I would say it definitely needs a service more than every half hour yes. These services can be uncomfortably over-crowded enough as it is at peak times and on Saturday afternoons/early evenings, and that's with the current frequency of every 12 minutes! And at these busy times, they're usually running late as well!

With this upcoming new timetable for the 9 now, there will be a gap of 45 minutes betweens services between 1630 and 1715. Busy Monday-Friday times when people want to get home from work or wherever. Absolute madness!

The hourly 77 only serves parts of Cotham and Redland. Whilst the half hourly 72 only serves Upper Redland. Not frequent enough for these areas really. And then there's the route from Temple Meads via Broadmead, Centre, Park Street, Queens Avenue, Elton Road, Woodland Road, Tyndall Avenue, St. Michaels Hill, Cotham Road, and Redland Road which will just have a service every half hour(or less!). So with the 9 being only every half hour, there would need to be a new service really to give extra frequency along this route.

And the 19 will be axed in September too.

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
To that end an entry in the VOSA Bus Service Registrations did appear a while back for cancellation of the 903 which is the current Long Ashton Park & Ride. There has been no subsequent re-registration of the route by First or any other operator.

Dave

Naishy

To that end an entry in the VOSA Bus Service Registrations did appear a while back for cancellation of the 903 which is the current Long Ashton Park & Ride. There has been no subsequent re-registration of the route by First or any other operator.

Dave

First have the 903 until 2017 when, presumably, a Metrobus route will take over. However both Brislington & Portway P&Rs should have new services this September (First I think)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
First have the 903 until 2017 when, presumably, a Metrobus route will take over. However both Brislington & Portway P&Rs should have new services this September (First I think)

Correct. The 902/4 were retendered and were awarded to First. However, the 903 will disappear in its current form so it was merely extended.

Dart 42899 working the 379 today. Not seen it do that one since returning to Bath

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member

Dave

Routes often have lots of VOSA entries, espacially if they change at various times of year (such as xmas). The main 903 is registered on PH0007208/91 and carries on as usual.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Interesting to see that the 73 will follow the same route as the 904 into the Centre from Temple Meads, past St Mary Redcliffe Church, Redcliffe Way, The Grove and Prince Street into Broad Quay, the same as the 75 and the 76, and not via Victoria Street and Baldwin Street as per the 38, 70, 71 and X39.

It will depart from the same stop as the 70/71.

Class 33

Established Member
Good news that the 73 is extended to Temple Meads. But one wonders how there'll be enough room there with the 70 & 71 terminating at that bus stop too?

Still awaiting news of hopefully a new service to make up for the new 9 being reduced to just two(or less than that at some parts of the day!) services per hour through Cotham and Redland. There ought to be a new service really, but my gut feeling tells me there won't!

Bristol registrations went through VOSA this morning, but I'm unable to find them now.

What is the URL for this website?

Last edited:

DS85

Bristol registrations went through VOSA this morning, but I'm unable to find them now.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Streetdecks for 75/76 then? Maybe 90 will get something else?

Its going to wells as a spare for the 376.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Good news that the 73 is extended to Temple Meads. But one wonders how there'll be enough room there with the 70 & 71 terminating at that bus stop too?

Still awaiting news of hopefully a new service to make up for the new 9 being reduced to just two(or less than that at some parts of the day!) services per hour through Cotham and Redland. There ought to be a new service really, but my gut feeling tells me there won't!

What is the URL for this website?

It'll be fine. There is plenty of space on that stop for all three services.

Class 33

Established Member
Go to http://www.tan.gov.uk and click "Bus Registration Search".

Very useful site.
Dave

Aha cheers.

Some interesting stuff I just found then, which I don't think has been mentioned so far...

Variation Accepted: Operating between Bristol Centre, Broad quay and Staple Hill, Teewell Hill given service number 6/7 effective from 04-Sep-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

Variation Accepted: Operating between Bristol Temple Meads Station and U W E Frenchay Campus given service number 70/71 effective from 04-Sep-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

Variation Accepted: Operating between Bristol Temple meads Station and UWE, Frenchay Campus given service number 72 effective from 04-Sep-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

Registration Accepted
Starting Point: UWE Frenchay Campus
Finish Point: UWE Frenchay Campus
Via: M32
Service Number: UWE
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 04-SEP-2016
Other Details: Daily service

Intrigued about what the route changes are for the 70, 71, & 72! Sounds like the 72 is being extended to Temple Meads too, along with the 73! Also intrigued about this new circular service from UWE Frenchay Campus-UWE Frenchay Campus? Possibly routed via Cotham and Redland maybe?

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Intrigued about what the route changes are for the 70, 71, & 72! Sounds like the 72 is being extended to Temple Meads too, along with the 73! Also intrigued about this new circular service from UWE Frenchay Campus-UWE Frenchay Campus? Possibly routed via Cotham and Redland maybe?

I'd be surprised if the 72 was extended to Temple Meads. There are already plenty of buses along Whiteladies Road serving Temple Meads.

And I doubt this circular UWE service will serve Cotham and Redland as it is going via the M32. I think it's an error for the short journeys (Centre to UWE) only on the X74. You seem to have a thing for Cotham and Redland at the moment!

THarris123

Established Member
Its going to wells as a spare for the 376.

At last. Is it just the one or are there more expected to go? What about 35149?

Maybe we'll see a decker every so often on 174?
VOSA worked a minute ago -
Variations, etc to 1/2, 6/7, 17, 24, 36, 8/9, 70/71, 72, 73/X73, 90, 44/45, 75/76

Also changes to Kernow U1/2/3/231, etc and 101

And a change to 768 - will be going to Clutton - oh good back to how it was :(
Oh and 50, 48/9/48A and registration as Class33 says - UWE

Class 33

Established Member
Yes it would be a bit pointless the 72 being extended to Temple Meads. Filton, Horfield, and Gloucester Road already have the 71 & 73 to Temple Meads. Redland has the 9, and Whiteladies Road has the 1 & 2. Must surely be an error. Perhaps the route change is at long long last the service will be running via Romney Avenue Bus Link? Though I'd still be amazed if that happens!

Wonder what the route changes for the 70 & 71 could be then?

Perhaps that last one is something to do with the X74 if it's routed via the M32 then? And it's not actually a circular service as it seems to suggest. Though it does say "normal stopping service", when the X74 is a limited stop service. Would have thought though that the changes for the X74 with the shorter Centre-UWE services starting again, that this would be down on VOSA as "Variation accepted .... to ammend route and timetable." With it being down as "registration accepted" it sounds like this is a new service.

But we'll find out for sure shortly. These details on VOSA are a bit vague really, and can have errors. Have to wait for the new timetables to go online on TravelineSW to find out the actual details of the changes.

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
As far as getting to Temple Meads is concerned I also wonder why they run so much from Gloucester Road to Temple Meads when Temple Meads is already well served. The VOSA registration for route and timetable changes to the 72 includes Temple Meads so that extension is certainly on.

I half wonder if they are trying to divert traffic away from the Severn Beach Line which serves Montpelier, Redland and Clifton Down but personally if I had to choose between bus or train to get to Temple Meads I would use the latter: it is cheaper for a start.

Dave

ValleyLines142

Established Member
As far as getting to Temple Meads is concerned I also wonder why they run so much from Gloucester Road to Temple Meads when Temple Meads is already well served. The VOSA registration for route and timetable changes to the 72 includes Temple Meads so that extension is certainly on.

I half wonder if they are trying to divert traffic away from the Severn Beach Line which serves Montpelier, Redland and Clifton Down but personally if I had to choose between bus or train to get to Temple Meads I would use the latter: it is cheaper for a start.

Dave

Indeed, and considerably quicker also, and if one is catching another train at Temple Meads they simply just have to change platforms, whereas if travelling by bus they have to alight then enter the station and the barriers, etc.

Furthermore, the bus can get stuck in horrendous traffic going down Park Street. I always remember a journey on the 1 once, it was bus 37620, and it took over an hour to get from the Triangle to Temple Meads!

THarris123

Established Member
I find that quite annoying that First are dropping some of the branding on the Streetdecks already and then moving some of them out of Hengrove - wonder what they'll get in return? It seems silly to waste so much money on 90 and then take some of the new vehicles off. Can't they just do that with 376 instead and replace them with E400s?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I find that quite annoying that First are dropping some of the branding on the Streetdecks already and then moving some of them out of Hengrove - wonder what they'll get in return? It seems silly to waste so much money on 90 and then take some of the new vehicles off. Can't they just do that with 376 instead and replace them with E400s?

I agree. Surely it would have made so much more sense to transfer an E400 over to Wells instead, say 33569, or even 35150 which is already in plain livery? I know by debranding 35148 it keeps them within uniformity but I just find that such a backward step! Why not even 35149 or 35140? You may find that 35150 is used more on the 90 or even a normal Hengrove decker is replacing 35148.

THarris123

Established Member
I agree. Surely it would have made so much more sense to transfer an E400 over Wells instead, say 33569, or even 35150 which is already in plain livery? I know by debranding 35148 it keeps them within uniformity but I just find that such a backward step! Why not even 35149 or 35140? You may find that 35150 is used more on the 90 or even a normal Hengrove decker is replacing 35148.

2 things on that one:-
Sending just one E400 to Wells is pointless - better to have the same type of vehicle (so would have been better to send a whole batch of E400s)
Second, how do we know it's only 35148? 35149 might be rebranded for something else. The whole of 35140-9 might have rebranding. What about the other 2 vehicles for 72, plus another for the extension to Temple Meads. There's no way of knowing yet, but the only thing we do know is that 90 has lost one of its branded new deckers, which I think is a waste.

Class 33

Established Member
Dave

Surprised at that really. But then thinking about it, it might well be something to do with the reduction in frequency of the 9. This would create three services per hour between middle and upper Redland through to Centre, Broadmead, and Temple Meads. The 72 will probably be routed from Penn Street via Temple Way to Temple Meads. Then back via Bond Street, stopping at the 8 & 9 bus stops along there.

Still really could do with another new service(ideally a double decker) serving Cotham and Redland(as far as Redland Station) though,even if just an hourly service, to at least make three services per hour along those parts. As just two services per hour isn't enough. But we shall see I guess.