• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

freetoview33

Established Member
I heard they will have cars to get Drivers to and from Nailsea as they want to minimise breaks at Marlborough Street, but as with anything I will believe it when it happens. I hear all sorts from different people in the company.

I think it is because the X1,X2,X3,X4 are all supposed to be going from bay 12. To free up bay 9 for the Airport Flyer meaning the flyer will run from bays 8 and 9.

So kinda makes sense.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
the X8s that are done by First will need to be single deckers, are these deffo being ran by weston or could bristol run this few trips using single deckers.

First have a use for more open tops now so they might try a few deckers!

D2007wsm

Established Member
I think it is because the X1,X2,X3,X4 are all supposed to be going from bay 12. To free up bay 9 for the Airport Flyer meaning the flyer will run from bays 8 and 9.

So kinda makes sense.

That wouldn't work, most of the time there is a bus arriving from Weston and Portishead at the same time. It would be a ludicrous decision to have 2 different destinations with a 15 minute headway operating off of the same bay. It is bad enough at times now when services are running late. The A1 can manage as a bus waiting can reverse onto the back wall and wait to come over to load.

Bristol_Buses

I wonder what we might see working the X6/7/9 circuit. It's all to be decker operated I'm assuming. Don't know if it would necessarily be more e400s. Either way it doesn't leave much room for the 'rumoured' current airport buses heading to Weston.... :lol:
As for X5 I imagine that will stay as it is as that service can get very busy at certain times (or so I'm told) but single decks during the quieter periods should probably suffice.

Airport driver told me last night that First are waiting for Bristol Airport to sign some document about new buses, He then said the current flyer buses will be rebranded for the Weston Flyer which will run 24/7.

D2007wsm

Established Member
The Weston Flyer is running from 03:00 until 23:00 daily and 3 E200MMCs have been ordered for it.

D2007wsm

Established Member
I heard something similar.

The timetable available on Traveline for the A3 Weston Flyer confirms the first departure from Weston is at 03:00 and the last departure from the airport is at 23:00.

Part of the contract for both the Bristol and Weston Flyers required new vehicles on both services. I have it under good authority from several sources within First that new vehicles have been ordered. Existing vehicles will be used in the interim, with these being cascaded once new vehicles arrive.

It was very short notice from the contract being awarded and starting to have new vehicles in place. If the B7s currently used on the A1s were used by Weston straight away, this would cause a shortfall on the PVR of the A1 especially as the summer timetable is introduced on 30/04. I would imagine Streetlites would be the best vehicle in the interim for Weston to use.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Bath Spa railway station is closed for platform modifications over the next three weekends. Four Rail Replacement buses were noted between Bath and Chippenham this afternoon these being two Bath Uni U1 400MMCs, a blue Bath Spa Uni U5 branded B7TL and 32636.

The 30/4 changes for the 265 are now on Traveline.

The major change looks to be the reduction of the Warminster - Salisbury leg, which is now reduced to 2 hourly.

Timings have also changed with departures from Bath now around 5mins later - xx:05 & xx:35

Sunday service now also curtailed to Bath - Trowbridge Town Hall.

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
The major change looks to be the reduction of the Warminster - Salisbury leg, which is now reduced to 2 hourly.
Fat lot of use that is to me now then: I have used the 265 when my employer sends me off to South Newton. Fortunately Salisbury Reds still have Service 2 through SN on an hourly frequency so lets hope that doesn't get cut as well. :roll:

Dave

matt_splat

The 30/4 changes for the 265 are now on Traveline.

Timings have also changed with departures from Bath now around 5mins later - xx:05 & xx:35

Sunday service now also curtailed to Bath - Trowbridge Town Hall.

Westbury loses no work though as it will run the 171 and 179

also the 267 gains a clock face 2 hourly sunday timetable so westbury work on sunday will consist of a 265 into bath then depending on the hour either a 271/2 or 267 trip after

Last edited:

Bristol_Buses

Lots of Branded buses on the GWR Rail Replacement from Bristol Temple Meads to Bath Spa today.

48/49 branded Enviro400MMC

1 branded Enviro400MMC

90 branded Streetdecker

Plain Streetdecker

U5 branded ALX400

Marcus Fryer

Lots of Branded buses on the GWR Rail Replacement from Bristol Temple Meads to Bath Spa today.

48/49 branded Enviro400MMC

1 branded Enviro400MMC

90 branded Streetdecker

Plain Streetdecker

U5 branded ALX400

I had a little ride round this afternoon:
13:20 Temple Meads to Bath (non-stop) - Fishponds Road E400MMC 33798
14:20 Bath to Trowbridge - Bath Route 5 branded B7RLE 66883
15:15 Trowbridge to Chippenham (train) - GWR 150002
16:05 Chippenham to Bath - Bath Uni U1 branded E400MMC 33947
16:48 Bath to Temple Meads (via Keynsham) - unbranded Streetdeck 35150

The bus journeys generally had plenty of slack time (which is why I made the 16:48 ex Bath as the 16:05 ex Chippenham got in 5 minutes early). This also gave time for photo stops at Bradford-on-Avon and Keynsham!

As well as the vehicles noted above, the non-stop journeys Temple Meads - Bath seemed a mixture of either Whiteladies Road or Fishponds Road E400MMC, Bath - Trowbridge was mostly B7RLE with the odd StreetLite and Chippenham - Bath mainly coaches from Applegates, Arleen, Barnes, Beeline and Pewsey Vale. There was an Avalon coach at Temple Meads.
There was also a Gemini (37588) parked up at Temple Meads. StreetDecks 35143/44 were also on the Keynsham route and 35142 was parked up at Temple Meads.

Rail replacement buses at Temple Meads now use The Friary instead of the station approach. They use bays 14-16 in Bath bus station, with service buses moved from those bays to Dorchester Street.

Last edited:

Private Baxter

Established Member
Unusual allocation yesterday, the blue and gold former X7 eclipse working the 82. Unusual to see a decker on there at any time, but this just looked a little odd!

Whilst on the subject (and be assured, this is purely my own wishful thinking and based on no information whatsoever), but hands up who would like to see that bus (32688) repainted into dark green BOC heritage livery??

swifty

Established Member
IIRC in Weston on Saturday the 5 was in the hands of 3 E200s (44905/7/8) with the Darts on the 3. 32006 was on the 20 as usual.

Also noted CMS had an Olympian and the newly converted hybrid (didn't note if it was in diesel mode :lol:) on the 100 and various 107 branded E200s on the 103 with a white E200 on standby at the Pier.

Class 33

Established Member
I heard that on the buses in Leicester, talking on mobile phones or playing music/videos through mobile phone speakers is stricly prohibited. A shame we can't have this rule on Bristol buses. As frequently there are people babbling on LOUDLY on their phones, with no consideration for other passengers. Or people(albeit usually teenagers or people in their early 20's) playing rubbishy rap or R 'n B music or stupid video clips on their phones for the whole bus to hear! Why can't they use earphones to listen to that crap?! Bloody annoying!

Last edited:

Bristol_Buses

The Enviro400s in weston are getting a paint job soon, They are turning orange under are being put under the "excel" brand for use on all double deck X services to and from Bristol.

quarella

I heard that on the buses in Leicester, talking on mobile phones or playing music/videos through mobile phone speakers is stricly prohibited. A shame we can't have this rule on Bristol buses. As frequently there are people babbling on LOUDLY on their phones, with no consideration for other passengers. Or people(albeit usually teenagers or people in their early 20's) playing rubbishy rap or R 'n B music or stupid video clips on their phones for the whole bus to hear! Why can't they use earphones to listen to that crap?! Bloody annoying!

You do. https://www.firstgroup.com/uploads/node_images/Bristol%20Conditions%20of%20Travel%20-%20January%202017.pdf

6 CONDUCT OF CUSTOMERS
When travelling on our vehicles, you are subject to these Conditions. Failure to comply with the Conditions (or the general law) may result in us refusing to permit you to travel or continue to travel. In particular, you must not:

(a)
behave in a manner which may reasonably be expected to cause any person to be alarmed, upset, offended or annoyed, or which may reasonably be expected to cause a nuisance or inconvenience to any Customer, driver or company official (including, without imitation, the use of obscene or offensive language or behaving in a manner that is abusive or threatening). Intending passengers who in the opinion of the driver appear likely to behave in an inappropriate manner or to be under the influence of alcohol, drugs or solvents may not be permitted to travel;

(n) play or operate any musical equipment or instruments (including radios,
mobile phones, MP3 devices etc) on vehicles at a volume that is likely to cause annoyance to other Customers;

WelshBluebird

Established Member

Banning people from talking on a phone? Are you being serious?
Playing music out loud, yes I agree with you. But just talking on a phone - it's called public transport for a reason - if you want peace and quiet get a car.

quarella

Banning people from talking on a phone? Are you being serious?
Playing music out loud, yes I agree with you. But just talking on a phone - it's called public transport for a reason - if you want peace and quiet get a car.

Just talking is one thing but there are some who hold inappropriate conversations at an excessive volume.

swifty

Established Member
think more readings woodley orange!! its the same!!

But orange buses in Weston will always be reminiscent of ACL Travel! Who remembers the late night service from Bristol with the orange decker?

Private Baxter

Established Member
I look forward to seeing the orange Excel branded buses in Weston over the coming the months, though admittedly question the need to change from the current Express Yourself image,(which is fine in my opinion) other than I suppose to coincide with the new services.

Also look forward to seeing the streetlites in Bristol branded for the 8/9 (presumably after the 6/7 ones are done), though again question the urgent need to do these when there are so many others requiring more immediate attention. But I'm sure there is a reason to it all!

THarris123

Established Member
I look forward to seeing the orange Excel branded buses in Weston over the coming the months, though admittedly question the need to change from the current Express Yourself image,(which is fine in my opinion) other than I suppose to coincide with the new services.

Also look forward to seeing the streetlites in Bristol branded for the 8/9 (presumably after the 6/7 ones are done), though again question the urgent need to do these when there are so many others requiring more immediate attention. But I'm sure there is a reason to it all!

Where has it been said that the 8/9 Streetlites will be repainted?

ryson357

Heard that the Streetlites are to be repainted in the GWR green colour for the 8's, not sure whether it is all over or just the front of the bus being painted.

D2007wsm

Established Member

The new branding is in conjunction with North Somerset Council. I think the decision was taken now to rebrand the North Somerset network as the current Express Yourself branding has been around in one form or another for quite some time. Also Weston has a mismatch of E400s in either Express Yourself and Olympia and some of these are starting to look quite tatty, especially the 56 and 58 plate vehicles. By repainting now it will promote a common identity across the North Somerset network, similar to Mendip Explorer in Wells.

I have seen pictures of the new Excel livery and it actually isn't too bad, certainly striking and will stand out.