• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marc

The report was that FWE's ultimate aim was to remove its E200s from Weston depot and the rumour was that they would likely transfer to Taunton.

the problem is that enviro200s are still sensable things for town routes 3 and 5.

Although the timetables look to be uploaded in the background, First still look to be leaving it to the very last minute to publicise these changes, with just over 10 days remaining.

Customer Services are also denying any knowledge of changes on Twitter when questioned by someone why the info was missing while the Traveline, TravelWest and County Council websites already have it on their websites.

https://twitter.com/Retrophilb/status/854318073767133185

https://twitter.com/83thann3/status/853224515723292672

vicbury

Although the timetables look to be uploaded in the background, First still look to be leaving it to the very last minute to publicise these changes, with just over 10 days remaining.

Customer Services are also denying any knowledge of changes on Twitter when questioned by someone why the info was missing while the Traveline, TravelWest and County Council websites already have it on their websites.

https://twitter.com/Retrophilb/status/854318073767133185

https://twitter.com/83thann3/status/853224515723292672

I always find it baffling how slow bus companies are to publicise changes. Surely timetables are set when the services are registered? It's a PR own-goal every single time as short-notice changes just make irate customers.

BBC

I always find it baffling how slow bus companies are to publicise changes. Surely timetables are set when the services are registered? It's a PR own-goal every single time as short-notice changes just make irate customers.

And i always find it baffling that passengers forget that certain services drop in frequency during summer holidays EVERY year....its like this is new or something :roll:

D2007wsm

Established Member
the problem is that enviro200s are still sensable things for town routes 3 and 5.

The 3s in particular have been very busy today sans Crosevile, E200s are suitable for 5 due to the nature of the route, but something the size of a Dart or Steeetlite would be better now for 3s due to capacity.

vicbury

And i always find it baffling that passengers forget that certain services drop in frequency during summer holidays EVERY year....its like this is new or something :roll:

To be fair other than the services which are overtly branded as university ones, I couldn't tell you which ones are decreasing over the summer. Some of the 70s?

D2007wsm

Established Member
https://www.firstgroup.com/uploads/maps/Weston_Service_20_WEB.pdf

The coaster 20 (Weston-Super-Mare to Burnham-On-Sea) timetable booklet shows the possibility of a new livery named "Somerset Coaster" - with the bus on the front in an attractive livery

That looks smart and is a proper image with the introduction of the open toppers, maybe the roofed B7s eill be painted the same. The current branding was just the Bath Uni Bus purple with the stickers changed to Coast 20, it worked well as an interim measure.

The Orange ties in well with the North Somerset Excel branding too.

BBC

To be fair other than the services which are overtly branded as university ones, I couldn't tell you which ones are decreasing over the summer. Some of the 70s?

48a
70/71
UWE Express

These are the major ones that change, not sure about the 72 but i think that stays the same year round.

THarris123

Established Member

Well usually First WoE are pretty good at publicising their timetable changes well in advance of the change date. I find it a bit bizarre, almost strange or concerning, that nothing has been publicised yet.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Well usually First WoE are pretty good at publicising their timetable changes well in advance of the change date. I find it a bit bizarre, almost strange or concerning, that nothing has been publicised yet.

Given that it was due to be withdrawn between Warminster and Trowbridge, does this indicate that Wiltshire Council then entered into late discussions and that meant First held back, rather than announce a withdrawal and then have to row back on that?

Marc

The 3s in particular have been very busy today sans Crosevile, E200s are suitable for 5 due to the nature of the route, but something the size of a Dart or Steeetlite would be better now for 3s due to capacity.

the 3 will be getting extra buses to borneville from next week which should help the busy bit.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
That looks smart and is a proper image with the introduction of the open toppers, maybe the roofed B7s eill be painted the same. The current branding was just the Bath Uni Bus purple with the stickers changed to Coast 20, it worked well as an interim measure.

The Orange ties in well with the North Somerset Excel branding too.

Has a slight feel of Southern Vectis about it - https://www.flickr.com/photos/30109...fFW-nEctgS-azTZNB-a4U8LR-oB7MVU-ogeQy2-cZwTwj

With an expansion in Kernow and this move (plus Stagecoach in Torbay), quite good to see a modest improvement in such services by the seaside rather than the city sightseeing market.

Last edited:

padbus

With an expansion in Kernow and this move (plus Stagecoach in Torbay), quite good to see a modest improvement in such services by the seaside rather than the city sightseeing market.

Stagecoach run an open top bus in Exmouth (service 95). This afternoon it was carrying a full load on both decks.

Bristol_Buses

I heard that the e400s due may be E400H Citys which will be a nice change, I dont know if these will be for the A1s or other city routes, Plus a scania gas bus which may be for the 16.

BBC

Just seen a single deck 45, full half way through its journey ! Are the council drunk to think singles will be ok for mwtrobus ?

vicbury

Just seen a single deck 45, full half way through its journey ! Are the council drunk to think singles will be ok for mwtrobus ?

Articulated single deckers ;)

The original idea was off-bus ticketing, where single deckers (rigid or articulated) enable speedy boarding. However now that tickets will be sold on bus, the vehicles may as well be double deckers.

BBC

Articulated single deckers ;)

The original idea was off-bus ticketing, where single deckers (rigid or articulated) enable speedy boarding. However now that tickets will be sold on bus, the vehicles may as well be double deckers.

This whole project seems like a waste of money, on board ticketing is so 20th century

carlberry

Established Member

As most of the Metrobus routes are new then they're hardly going to overload on day one. And singles can cope with any service if the frequency is increased to match the need.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
And singles can cope with any service if the frequency is increased to match the need.

Are you seriously suggesting this?

42-45: every 5 minutes between Centre and Redfield, buses leave full.
48-49: every 5 minutes through Fishponds, buses leave full
75-76: every 5 minutes along Gloucester Road, buses leave full.

Unless buses were literally a constant flow of every 30 seconds, single deckers will not work.

carlberry

Established Member
Are you seriously suggesting this?

42-45: every 5 minutes between Centre and Redfield, buses leave full.
48-49: every 5 minutes through Fishponds, buses leave full
75-76: every 5 minutes along Gloucester Road, buses leave full.

Unless buses were literally a constant flow of every 30 seconds, single deckers will not work.

Yes. (Remember I said single deckers CAN work, I didnt say they would be the best solution). In each of the above examples the existing double decker every five minutes (75 seats) could be replaced with a single decker every 2 1/2 minutes (82 seats).

Citistar

I guess the big push to mobile tickets means that ticket machines at bus stops are largely redundant and boarding can be relatively speedy, especially if cash fares are eventually banned, with only contactless accepted.

Metrobus is pressing ahead with plans for smart ticketing only. Roadside machines will not accept cash in any location, only contactless cards to issue single tickets.

Ticketing from Metrobus machines will be either operator specific or AvonRider tickets for day and weekly multi-operator facilities, but there are no current plans for AvonRider to be made available as a mobile ticket on any platform.

I (and others) have pointed out the folly of a focus on smartcards when takeup of Mobile tickets has been so astonishing over the past three years and contactless bank card payments are gradually coming on stream.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Yes. (Remember I said single deckers CAN work, I didnt say they would be the best solution). In each of the above examples the existing double decker every five minutes (75 seats) could be replaced with a single decker every 2 1/2 minutes (82 seats).

Perhaps so but the more vehicles there are, the more likely disruption will occur. Deckers are already prone to delays (naturally, with Bristol's ridiculous congestion), so single deckers wouldn't help matters.

I imagine on routes such as the 8/9 and the 50 this would work but not on key routes such as the aforementioned ones.