• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bristol_Buses

Just seen a single deck 45, full half way through its journey ! Are the council drunk to think singles will be ok for mwtrobus ?

The 45 usually has 5 double deckers and 1 single decker and the 44 usually has 6 doubles. A single decker on the 45 is ridiculous especially for a every 20mins service. As its my local route the single usually departs the centre around 16:15 so avoids the rush hour and its the last 45 service to leave from LH in the morning but it still gets full quickly. The 42-45 are hopefully due new buses soon.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Timetables are up too, showing a glimpse as the 'excel' branding and the 'weston flyer' branding - looks very smart!

After the shock of the Orange, it does look quite smart. It'll be interesting to see the first E400 on it, which is already off to be painted.

spw24

After the shock of the Orange, it does look quite smart. It'll be interesting to see the first E400 on it, which is already off to be painted.

Yes I'm looking forward to this as well should brighten up Bristol bus station no end.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Yes I'm looking forward to this as well should brighten up Bristol bus station no end.

Just may be a tad confusing for the airport staff waiting for the A1 on bay 8, when one of these pulls onto bay 9 and they mistake or for Easy Jet lol

Dhassell

Let's hope the 56 plate Ex Plymouth 'Express Yourself' E400's finally get a refurb, they are comfy but worn out! Very looking forward to the new brand and routes. Also the A3 allows people wanting to fly out of Bristol Airport to leave Weston at a good enough time and not have to worry about parking!

D2007wsm

Established Member
Let's hope the 56 plate Ex Plymouth 'Express Yourself' E400's finally get a refurb, they are comfy but worn out! Very looking forward to the new brand and routes. Also the A3 allows people wanting to fly out of Bristol Airport to leave Weston at a good enough time and not have to worry about parking!

Apparently the seats at least should be being recovered in the grey leather. The first E400 out in the orange livery should be one of the 63 plate examples

THarris123

Established Member
Yes. (Remember I said single deckers CAN work, I didnt say they would be the best solution). In each of the above examples the existing double decker every five minutes (75 seats) could be replaced with a single decker every 2 1/2 minutes (82 seats).

Indeed it could be replaced with single deckers every 1/2 minutes. There is just a small problem with that - all depots are short of drivers from next week (Weston are overstaffed at the moment), so what's the likelihood of bringing in single decks with a huge influx of drivers? Very slim and very expensive.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Ordered for and allocated to the old X1 Weston to Bristol service though the latter (37318) initially worked from LH depot

The original Weston ones from that batch were 37315/37316/37317, with the higher backed seats like what can be found on the P&R and 48/49 E400s. 37318 has the standard seats a la the rest of the fleet. This arrived in Weston later than the others, along with some other examples to try and make the X1 100% low floor, rather than had previously been the case with a mixture of B7s/B9s/Olympians.

32636/32637/32638 the first B7 Geminis Weston had and indeed the first in the area again had standard seats.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The original Weston ones from that batch were 37315/37316/37317, with the higher backed seats like what can be found on the P&R and 48/49 E400s. 37318 has the standard seats a la the rest of the fleet. This arrived in Weston later than the others, along with some other examples to try and make the X1 100% low floor, rather than had previously been the case with a mixture of B7s/B9s/Olympians.

32636/32637/32638 the first B7 Geminis Weston had and indeed the first in the area again had standard seats.

I didn't think 37318 had high backed seats but was taking the OP at their word. I remember it being new with the "bow" on the 41/43-45 GBBN routes.

swifty

Established Member

How weird I was always Thought they were high backed when new and were fairly quickly taken out when they moved to Hengrove, but indeed they weren't!

Last edited:

D2007wsm

Established Member
How weird I was always Thought they were high backed when new and were fairly quickly taken out when they moved to Hengrove, but indeed they weren't!

Lol no they've always had the same standard seats. Travelling on those buses on the X1/353, the other design was much comfier.

The best seats atm are the green leather coach seats on the 56 plate E400s in Weston. It's a much nicer commute when one of these turns up!

Last edited:

D2007wsm

Established Member
Worn out, But I have never been on a more comfy bus!
Exactly, a bit rough around the edges, but with a nice new paint job, the seats covered and a general tidy up they'all be all good again.

The exterior paint is looking really tired, I noticed the top edge of one of the 56 plate E400s was quite bad reversing off of the bay sat upstairs on one of the 63 plate examples. These are not as comfy by far and the ex Hengrove examples are the worst of the lot.

vicbury

Police investigating complaint about 40 Romanian bus drivers living in closed-down old people's home

Bristol Post reporting that Romanian bus drivers who have been working as agency drivers for First have been living in poor conditions at a Council-owned former care home.

Of greater concern, there has been an allegation of modern day slavery:

The council passed that to Avon and Somerset police because the allegation amounted to a claim of modern day slavery.

A council spokesperson said: “The council received an allegation from a visitor to Brentry about the way occupiers were being treated.

“This information was passed to the police. If, in due course, the allegation is proved to be true then at that point the council will consider whether it is able and appropriate to take action,” she added.

Not surprised at all that First has brought in more Eastern Europeans (where they will recruit from after Brexit is anyone's guess..). If said drivers are being exploited, then First, whilst not directly employing them, is fully implicated.

Marcus Fryer

Today all the work is finished and ready for next week; all the signs are up, the road markings are painted, the bus stop flags attached and the road barriers removed.

Private Baxter

Established Member
42915 BACK to Weston - did a short spell between Taunton and Bath in 2013 IIRC.

What's the plan with these? Operate 3/7 and allow Streetlites to work the A3 in the short term??
It was a very short spell, and moved back to Bath along with 42914 and 42916 in January 2014, having previously left Bath some time in 2008. It was during their time in Weston that all three buses were put in to urban livery.
Wonder what will replace the four darts in Bath, as I don't expect there to be a pvr drop.

D2007wsm

Established Member
42915 BACK to Weston - did a short spell between Taunton and Bath in 2013 IIRC.

What's the plan with these? Operate 3/7 and allow Streetlites to work the A3 in the short term??

Have no idea what they are for, I have heard the A3 will be Streetlites temporarily.