• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swifty

Established Member
That's not the one that ran around Stoke Gifford - that was 42721 (S721 AFB). It was named 'The Chipper'. There's a BBC News item on it dated 7 May 2009. I'll try and post a link.

That was about 10-12 years after the 16 and the gas powered Dart. The Chipper was mainly used on the 73.

CD

Quote from BoS Behind the scenes today

30930, 43811, 43821 and 53205 have now left the fleet and have been delivered to Ensign, Purfleet.

freetoview33

Established Member
I just wanted to ask peoples opinions on Park & Rides in the WECA (Avon) area. I didn't really want to create another thread, as they are all have services operated by First and any further ones are likely to be First too. Assuming demand remains the same after this current crisis is over.

Q: Where do you think Park & Rides should be located and why?

Current Park & Rides

Portway (A4 Bristol West)
Long Ashton (A370 Bristol)
Brislington (A4 Bristol East)
Lyde Green (A4174 Bristol North East)
Lansdown (?? Bath North)
Odd Down (A367 Bath South)
Newbridge (A4 Bath West)

Currently Proposed Park & Rides

Bath East (A4 Bath East) - Still on the list, even though BaNES keeps scrapping the idea, it pops up again after a few months
Weston (A370/A371) - Near the rounadabout where the A370/A371 join in Weston-super-Mare (Mud)
Whitchurch (A37 Bristol South) - Roughly on/near the site of Bristol Barbarians RFC
Hicks Gate (A4 Bristol East) - Replacing Brislington, located off the Durley Hill, Bus only section
Warmley (A420) - No exact location, likely to tie into new homes/neighbourhood proposed between the old railway line and Webb's Heath
Hambrook (M32) - They still propose the site to be on the allotments, even though BCC have said no to that, it is the only location planned
Henbury (A4018) - Near the new Henbury Station
A38 South (A38 South) - Likely to be Highridge way
Almondsbury (A38 North) - To serve the Thornbury area
A432 (A432) - To serve the Yate Area

I will post my own answer afterwards, I would just like to know peoples views.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Quote from BoS Behind the scenes today

30930, 43811, 43821 and 53205 have now left the fleet and have been delivered to Ensign, Purfleet.
Thanks for reporting this CD. Quite surprised Ensign are dealing or collecting anything at the present time.

carlberry

Established Member
I just wanted to ask peoples opinions on Park & Rides in the WECA (Avon) area. I didn't really want to create another thread, as they are all have services operated by First and any further ones are likely to be First too. Assuming demand remains the same after this current crisis is over.

Current Park & Rides

Lansdown (?? Bath North)
Newbridge (A4 Bath West)

Bath East (A4 Bath East) - Still on the list, even though BaNES keeps scrapping the idea, it pops up again after a few months
Weston (A370/A371) - Near the rounadabout where the A370/A371 join in Weston-super-Mare (Mud)
Whitchurch (A37 Bristol South) - Roughly on/near the site of Bristol Barbarians RFC
Hicks Gate (A4 Bristol East) - Replacing Brislington, located off the Durley Hill, Bus only section
Warmley (A420) - No exact location, likely to tie into new homes/neighbourhood proposed between the old railway line and Webb's Heath
Hambrook (M32) - They still propose the site to be on the allotments, even though BCC have said no to that, it is the only location planned

Bath East, Whitchurch and Hambrook (how are BCC involved as Hambrook is outside their area?) appear the only ones that would have been viable before.
I cant see anybody putting money into new P&R for many years however; public transport is going to struggle to recover until a vaccine is found and peak hour flows are going to be hit because a lot of companies have suddenly found that home working can actually work for them.

D2007wsm

Established Member
39462 joined in with the Clap for Carers at 8pm outside the BRI this evening

Attachments

• 9E66CA49-4170-459B-BA11-0CD1A92E77FA.jpeg
    9E66CA49-4170-459B-BA11-0CD1A92E77FA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47

freetoview33

Established Member
Bath East, Whitchurch and Hambrook (how are BCC involved as Hambrook is outside their area?) appear the only ones that would have been viable before.
I cant see anybody putting money into new P&R for many years however; public transport is going to struggle to recover until a vaccine is found and peak hour flows are going to be hit because a lot of companies have suddenly found that home working can actually work for them.
I did say assuming things went back to normal .... you have to remember two things about that, I know quite a few people working from home, but if you told them it was going to forever they would quit, they do not want to work from home after this is over, so I don't think it will be quite as bad as people are thinking. Also if social distancing is to be followed on buses then we will still need to run the same number of buses for half the people, so I think buses will be running most services sooner than most think. Although funding will still be needed as you can't economically run every bus half full.

Well they call the allotments of the very edge of Bristol CC area Hambrook, although something that was missed by a lot was two very interesting things. Number 1 an M32 park & ride is a top priority. Number 2 Highways England have said they are open to the idea, but it would involve downgrading the M32 to an A road and passing control over to councils/WECA.

Also funding is now in place for the A432 site, so will likely happen.

carlberry

Established Member
I did say assuming things went back to normal .... you have to remember two things about that, I know quite a few people working from home, but if you told them it was going to forever they would quit, they do not want to work from home after this is over, so I don't think it will be quite as bad as people are thinking. Also if social distancing is to be followed on buses then we will still need to run the same number of buses for half the people, so I think buses will be running most services sooner than most think. Although funding will still be needed as you can't economically run every bus half full.

Well they call the allotments of the very edge of Bristol CC area Hambrook, although something that was missed by a lot was two very interesting things. Number 1 an M32 park & ride is a top priority. Number 2 Highways England have said they are open to the idea, but it would involve downgrading the M32 to an A road and passing control over to councils/WECA.

Also funding is now in place for the A432 site, so will likely happen.
The effect from working from home will be a general reduction in commuting. Even if some people did it one or two days a week, that's a significant change. Proper social distancing (based on current recommendations) needs 1/4 capacity buses however the bigger issue is that the image of public transport generally will be tarnished (even more than before). All of which means there will be less people on buses, especially P&R type services.
Highways England would be glad to be rid of the cost of the M32, the councils are going to be less enthusiastic about gaining the costs however. Without the funding for the A432 scheme is already paid and ring fenced I wouldn't put any bets on it; a general M32 scheme makes more sense however that would depend on it being seen as enough of a priority to allocate cash to.

lx12ddo

The worst interior I find is the yellow, cream and green Plymouth P&R spec interior on the 334** E400s. Yes the seats are the comfiest in the fleet and I would prefer it if it was always one of these, but the pale green floor and cream side panels are terrible for showing up the dirt. The yellow poles are also bad for showing wcratche
When I voyaged to Weston on the X1 on the 715 from Bristol back in January, I was pleased to have caught a 2006 E400, 33412. But yes, the colour scheme inside is pretty toxic, let alone the smell in there. Hope the reek was a one off from not having been properly cleaned overnight, because coupled with the vivid cream, yellow and green detracted from the enjoyment of the journey a fair bit! (Seats, speed and scenery, the triple S, were top shelf)

Streamr_MXP

When I voyaged to Weston on the X1 on the 715 from Bristol back in January, I was pleased to have caught a 2006 E400, 33412. But yes, the colour scheme inside is pretty toxic, let alone the smell in there. Hope the reek was a one off from not having been properly cleaned overnight, because coupled with the vivid cream, yellow and green detracted from the enjoyment of the journey a fair bit! (Seats, speed and scenery, the triple S, were top shelf)
I believe all of the 56" Tridents have that awful smell unfortunately. It's the only thing I don't like about them

Whiteway215

Established Member
33947 appears to be parked with the SORNed buses at Weston Island and 33944 is off with roof damage, I don’t know which ones are at Wells but could be any or all of 33943/5/6/8/9/50.

Streamr_MXP

33947 appears to be parked with the SORNed buses at Weston Island and 33944 is off with roof damage, I don’t know which ones are at Wells but could be any or all of 33943/5/6/8/9/50.
I know that 33948, 33950, 33943 are all at Wells. I haven't seen any others yet whilst out and about on my daily exercise

Last time I went on FUD it smelt very strongly of gas which felt quite toxic.

lx12ddo

Last time I went on FUD it smelt very strongly of gas which felt quite toxic.
Hm, smell on that Wednesday (or Thursday) morning in January was closer to the aftermath after a night out.....! Seems it varies with the times... I think 33828 was on the X1 behind me and I remember slightly regretting not letting FUD go in favour of MYL

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Current Park & Rides

Lansdown (?? Bath North)
Newbridge (A4 Bath West)

I guess there's the Venn diagram - what have they published vs. what is actually likely to happen. Not wishing to adversely drench anyone's parade, but here's my take on things

• Bath East (A4 Bath East) - Still on the list, even though BaNES keeps scrapping the idea, it pops up again after a few months
    • It has again appeared on the metrobus map for the Bristol to Bath on the JLTP. It is the obvious gap in the P&R provision and it does make sense but if it isn't Bathampton Meadows, I struggle to see where they can put it. There was talk of the old Bath Rugby practice pitch at Lambrook but that's not a big site - probably smaller than Lansdown and no scope for expansion.
  • Weston (A370/A371) - Near the rounadabout where the A370/A371 join in Weston-super-Mare (Mud)
    • Don't know
  • Whitchurch (A37 Bristol South) - Roughly on/near the site of Bristol Barbarians RFC
    • I can't see this honestly. Firstly, the traffic from the A37 at Whitchurch isn't that heavy in rush hour; if it's heavy, it might queue from the Maes Knoll to the bridge but that's only 1/4 mile. The worst hold ups are places like Happy Landings and Airport Road. There's also the issue of disportionately high numbers of lorries so I'm not certain how much impact a Whitchurch P&R will have. Moreover, there's not a great deal of scope for bus lanes so the buses will be caught in the same traffic anyway.
  • Hicks Gate (A4 Bristol East) - Replacing Brislington, located off the Durley Hill, Bus only section
    • It would be a better location but I can't it happening in the near future, not least because Brislington exists. I know that the plan would be to replace Briz but with an existing facility, I can't see it being a priority if ever.
  • Warmley (A420) - No exact location, likely to tie into new homes/neighbourhood proposed between the old railway line and Webb's Heath
    • Questionable - can't see where or why
  • Hambrook (M32) - They still propose the site to be on the allotments, even though BCC have said no to that, it is the only location planned
    • Almost the opposite of Whitchurch - a clear need and existing bus priority infrastructure in place. However, it needs a good location. A possible might be something around the metrobus/Stoke Gifford bypass.
  • Henbury (A4018) - Near the new Henbury Station
    • Don't know but see Almondsbury
  • A38 South (A38 South) - Likely to be Highridge way
    • Can't see this happening at all. Not when you've got traffic coming down that can divert down the SBRR and into Long Ashton which is already on metrobus
  • Almondsbury (A38 North) - To serve the Thornbury area
    • Can't see this happening if Henbury opens? Otherwise, what would Henbury's park and ride be for.... people from Hallen?
  • A432 (A432) - To serve the Yate Area
    • Don't know but perhaps tied in with J18A
So in short, there's a couple with strong cases but a question on locations - i.e. Bath East and Bristol M32, and perhaps a strong case for Henbury tied in with rail reintroduction. The rest, as I see it, have much weaker cases. Hope that's fair

freetoview33

Established Member
I guess there's the Venn diagram - what have they published vs. what is actually likely to happen. Not wishing to adversely drench anyone's parade, but here's my take on things

• Bath East (A4 Bath East) - Still on the list, even though BaNES keeps scrapping the idea, it pops up again after a few months
    • It has again appeared on the metrobus map for the Bristol to Bath on the JLTP. It is the obvious gap in the P&R provision and it does make sense but if it isn't Bathampton Meadows, I struggle to see where they can put it. There was talk of the old Bath Rugby practice pitch at Lambrook but that's not a big site - probably smaller than Lansdown and no scope for expansion.
  • Weston (A370/A371) - Near the rounadabout where the A370/A371 join in Weston-super-Mare (Mud)
    • Don't know
  • Whitchurch (A37 Bristol South) - Roughly on/near the site of Bristol Barbarians RFC
    • I can't see this honestly. Firstly, the traffic from the A37 at Whitchurch isn't that heavy in rush hour; if it's heavy, it might queue from the Maes Knoll to the bridge but that's only 1/4 mile. The worst hold ups are places like Happy Landings and Airport Road. There's also the issue of disportionately high numbers of lorries so I'm not certain how much impact a Whitchurch P&R will have. Moreover, there's not a great deal of scope for bus lanes so the buses will be caught in the same traffic anyway.
  • Hicks Gate (A4 Bristol East) - Replacing Brislington, located off the Durley Hill, Bus only section
    • It would be a better location but I can't it happening in the near future, not least because Brislington exists. I know that the plan would be to replace Briz but with an existing facility, I can't see it being a priority if ever.
  • Warmley (A420) - No exact location, likely to tie into new homes/neighbourhood proposed between the old railway line and Webb's Heath
    • Questionable - can't see where or why
  • Hambrook (M32) - They still propose the site to be on the allotments, even though BCC have said no to that, it is the only location planned
    • Almost the opposite of Whitchurch - a clear need and existing bus priority infrastructure in place. However, it needs a good location. A possible might be something around the metrobus/Stoke Gifford bypass.
  • A38 South (A38 South) - Likely to be Highridge way
    • Can't see this happening at all. Not when you've got traffic coming down that can divert down the SBRR and into Long Ashton which is already on metrobus
    • Can't see this happening if Henbury opens? Otherwise, what would Henbury's park and ride be for.... people from Hallen?
  • A432 (A432) - To serve the Yate Area
    • Don't know but perhaps tied in with J18A
So in short, there's a couple with strong cases but a question on locations - i.e. Bath East and Bristol M32, and perhaps a strong case for Henbury tied in with rail reintroduction. The rest, as I see it, have much weaker cases. Hope that's fair
Im posting an expanded response in a new thread later, where I will answer some of the points you have raised

carlberry

Established Member

I really cant see the point of Henbury, other than it might be useful for the arena. From Thornbury there's Avonmouth already and the possibility of Hambrook, to get to Henbury you've got traffic on the way in from Cribbs then a long train journey either past Avonmouth or the other way round and both end up at Temple Meads which is likely to then need another bus!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I really cant see the point of Henbury, other than it might be useful for the arena. From Thornbury there's Avonmouth already and the possibility of Hambrook, to get to Henbury you've got traffic on the way in from Cribbs then a long train journey either past Avonmouth or the other way round and both end up at Temple Meads which is likely to then need another bus!

@carlberry - there's a super new thread