• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Buses in Bath

Has anyone used the Space Checker web page?

It has stops and route listed in Bath for the U1C and U1G (which seems to have v little data) in Bath. Not knowing the U1 well, what are these journeys?
The U1 is the full U1 route from University of Bath - Oldfield Park. U1Cs are the technical term for the Monday - Friday daytime U1 journeys terminating at the City Centre but are still numbered U1. Same with U1G it's the technical term for the short journeys to Grand Parade but the buses are still numbered U1.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swifty

Established Member
The U1 is the full U1 route from University of Bath - Oldfield Park. U1Cs are the technical term for the Monday - Friday daytime U1 journeys terminating at the City Centre but are still numbered U1. Same with U1G it's the technical term for the short journeys to Grand Parade but the buses are still numbered U1.

I thought Barnes were running (and displaying) U1G with the coaches and the tri-axle Olympus?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Thanks for the explanation. Didn't really know a lot of that. Worth mentioning however that a complete renumbering of the fleet did take place in 2003 when buses switched from four digit Badgerline numbers, to five digit First numbers. For example R909 BOU changed from being 1909 to 66109, and the current numbering system is based on that which was set out then.

So based on what you said, with many types now gone, does that mean their numbers will never be used again? With step darts extinct, does that mean there will never be a 46XXX again, or could it eventually be reassigned another type?

I don't know if they can ever do a purge of old records (e.g. reusing numbers not used for 15 years or more).

There were some other anomalies and fleets were numbered in a progression not all at once. Some long wheelbase Solos were delivered prior to the renumbering and when they did obtain a five digit number, some in the North were numbered in the midibus 4**** series (of which some of these later moved from PMT to Yeovil). By the time they began the southern fleets, I think the decision had been taken that all Solos were minis and so numbered as 5****

As each fleet was numbered in turn, so 40*** were Darts and B6s in Manchester and Yorkshire whilst 46*** were in the South/South West and 47*** in Essex whilst B6s were numbered in Bristol and Cornwall were numbered in the 48*** series.... Optare Excels were numbered in the heavyweight SD range 62*** Not much rhyme nor reason

-Colly405-

The mid-October changes are on First's website, and the 24 reverts to Ashton Gate terminus daytimes, with the return of the 24a. Mon-Fri the 24 is every 12 minutes, the 24a every 15. That's good for connections, then!

Tommy Walters

Has anyone used the Space Checker web page?

It has stops and route listed in Bath for the U1C and U1G (which seems to have v little data) in Bath. Not knowing the U1 well, what are these journeys?

U1C (City) is for buses doing Uni - Green Park via Dorchester Street.

U1G (Grand Parade) is for the Uni - Grand Parade shuttles (i.e. the ones currently being run by coaches).

In operational terms, the full Uni - Oldfield route in the evenings/weekends is just classed as U1.

Hope that helps!

Streamr_MXP

Routes 171 & 172 will be bookable from Friday 9th October, for weekdays only. Whilst this is a great idea, and will help people like myself who travel on both routes, at peak times, It doesn't solve the capacity issues at peak times. An extra bus or two at peak times is much needed currently!

Buses in Bath

Just because it's sort of interesting to see what's on the school runs 39489 the spare metrobus was on the afternoon SB1 yesturday and one of the bath city urbans was on the afternoon OS5 but I didn't see the fleet number.

freetoview33

Established Member
A few more changes:

24: Returns at a 15 min frequency vs 12 min for the 24 (As already mentioned)
70: Reduced from every 15 mins to every 20 mins
71: Returns every 20 mins
75/76: Timing changes
90: Reduced from every 12 to every 15 mins
U1/U1E: Looks like all services become U1, with a morning frequency of every 4 mins, then every 5 mins up until 11pm
Brislington: Reduced from every 10 to every 15 mins
Portway: Reduced from every 12 to every 15 mins

Whiteway215

Established Member
Full of students waiting U1 in Dorchester Street tonight at 10pm. At least three buses were full but still many students waiting here. Very scared that they're in big groups without social distancing.
View attachment 84209
I see this picture of 32008 made the headlines on the Bath Chronicle Somerset Live website today with a concerned student reporting fellow students not social distancing.
Meanwhile in a another article further down the website from yesterday there is a fine shot of a Unibus mauve ALX400 of the 32003/7 variety leaving the University of Bath. This article deals with the UOB reporting 31 cases of coronavirus (as of yesterday)

Marcus Fryer

The 178 has continued to be a mix of streetlites and deckers if the bus tracker is to be believed. Certainly 37349 was out on it today.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Bath’s Clean Air Zone launch date announced as March 15th 2021.
Hmmm.... I'm perhaps a little surprised but then again, it wasn't like most motorists were going to be affected. Perhaps the one surprise is that they haven't made it May rather than March in order to help with the Uni vehicles and the academic year?

Assuming that the various e200s, e400s, B9s and former Mendip/Airport B7RLEs have been suitably treated, then what is left to replace? The end of the remaining B7TLs and that the BathCity Eclipses plus a couple of Solos plus, of course, the bendis?

On a related note, what's the latest on the ex FSY Streetdecks? Two obviously made it down and are in service from Wells. Are the others still in Leicester awaiting repair?

Tommy Walters

On a related note, what's the latest on the ex FSY Streetdecks? Two obviously made it down and are in service from Wells. Are the others still in Leicester awaiting repair?

Quick correction there, both are now in service regularly on the U5 from Bath! Clearly there is no sign of the others yet, as the other 4 vehicles on the U5 PVR are very randomly allocated currently! Today sees 32280, 33716, 66725 (first day back after lockdown?) & 69437 all in use!

spw24

one other Streetdeck was being brought down here but it broke down just outside Leicester..

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Hmmm.... I'm perhaps a little surprised but then again, it wasn't like most motorists were going to be affected. Perhaps the one surprise is that they haven't made it May rather than March in order to help with the Uni vehicles and the academic year?

Assuming that the various e200s, e400s, B9s and former Mendip/Airport B7RLEs have been suitably treated, then what is left to replace? The end of the remaining B7TLs and that the BathCity Eclipses plus a couple of Solos plus, of course, the bendis?

I think there's probably 3 FSY Streetdecks still at Leicester under repair - they knew they hadn't been cared for at Sheffield, but may have understated the problems.

Streamr_MXP

An update on 10036:
Just popped by depot, and she was getting work done, and so hopefully should have her leak fixed soon, and be back on the road soon!

Tommy Walters

Quick note on the Oldfield School services. Looks as if the OS1/OS2 vehicle is the same one that does the two 37 round trips (usually 36822), with the OS3/4 & OS5 vehicles seemingly being spare during the day or coming off the Uni allocations!

Bath have also taken 32343 back after its holiday in Lawrence Hill & Weston. It had been off the road for 2 months prior to coming back onto the U3 today!

swifty

Established Member
Quick note on the Oldfield School services. Looks as if the OS1/OS2 vehicle is the same one that does the two 37 round trips (usually 36822), with the OS3/4 & OS5 vehicles seemingly being spare during the day or coming off the Uni allocations!

Bath have also taken 32343 back after its holiday in Lawrence Hill & Weston. It had been off the road for 2 months prior to coming back onto the U3 today!

The current 37 is built around the OS1/2 runs so will utilise the same vehicle during the off peak. There’s not much use in it in its current form but I guess it’s cost are covered by the school runs.

The OS1/2/5 and 37 will have to be worked by an MMC as they’re the only deckers that are legally allowed under the Avon Valley Railway.

Last edited:

Streamr_MXP

The current 37 is built around the OS1/2 runs so will utilise the same vehicle during the off peak. There’s not much use in it in its current form but I guess it’s cost are covered by the school runs.

The OS1/2/5 and 37 will have to be worked by an MMC as they’re the only deckers that are legally allowed under the Avon Valley Railway.
Explains why the 37 seems to be 36822's main allocation then.

Tommy Walters

That also explains why the uni MMCs have often been sighted on there as well!

Aren't the ALX400 B7s also authorised?

Buses in Bath

The OS5 actually goes via Cadbury Heath and so avoids the bridge
That also explains why the uni MMCs have often been sighted on there as well!

Aren't the ALX400 B7s also authorised?
The ALX400s are allowed to fit under. There was a chart in the platform managers room but i forget what other buses can use the bridge.