• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Private Baxter

Established Member
However, none of the Weston Streetdecks have arrived yet? I was skeptical that they'd be over during Feb despite the official line. Timelines are extended at the moment and Bradford hadn't got all theirs yet. Rumours, backed up by early views of yellow and green Streetdecks, are that we will see the end of the Excel branding and that Badgerline will be applied to Weston depot save the open toppers.
That would be good, and I wonder if as such I wonder if Bath city blue will be extended to cover remaining inter urban work. Of the main regional brands, i.e Excel, Mendip Explorer, South Glos lynx, Discover etc, Excel is my least favourite, so would welcome seeing Badgerline in north Somerset once again. On that, that is a few different schemes now to have decorated the region, following Express Yourself and Excel.
To answer TheGrandWazoo just now, tView attachment 110855his picture, taken at Belfast, has just been sent by my friend, the well-known Paul Savage.
They look good, and will be a welcome site round here. Less welcome however is what seems to be the return of the pink bars and beige leather seats. I thought real progress had been made in recent years with the interior of buses.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
To answer TheGrandWazoo just now, this picture, taken at Belfast, has just been sent by my friend, the well-known Paul Savage.

View attachment 110855
Thanks for sharing @AllanMacF
That would be good, and I wonder if as such I wonder if Bath city blue will be extended to cover remaining inter urban work. Of the main regional brands, i.e Excel, Mendip Explorer, South Glos lynx, Discover etc, Excel is my least favourite, so would welcome seeing Badgerline in north Somerset once again. On that, that is a few different schemes now to have decorated the region, following Express Yourself and Excel.

They look good, and will be a welcome site round here. Less welcome however is what seems to be the return of the pink bars and beige leather seats. I thought real progress had been made in recent years with the interior of buses.
I have to say that it's Mendip Explorer that doesn't do it for me but good to see Badgerline returning a bit more.

As for the interiors, more indication that following JF going, there's a reversion to corporate ways.

cnjb8

Established Member

I have to say that it's Mendip Explorer that doesn't do it for me but good to see Badgerline returning a bit more.

As for the interiors, more indication that following JF going, there's a reversion to corporate ways.
I agree about Mendip Explorer. There’s potential in there for a proper full on Best Impressions brand, but using that blue First livery doesn’t go far enough.

Private Baxter

Established Member

Fair enough. I think Mendip is the oldest of all of them, but I could be wrong. I thought it looked really good when they had the streetdecks, as well as on the B7RLEs, though in my opinion not quite so good on the e400s.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Fair enough. I think Mendip is the oldest of all of them, but I could be wrong. I thought it looked really good when they had the streetdecks, as well as on the B7RLEs, though in my opinion not quite so good on the e400s.
It's all subjective. ME is the oldest and has the original Urban template and must be six years old now.

Buses in Bath

It's a diverted order so isn't in West of England spec.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whiteway215

Established Member
The local press Somerset Live has included an article on Bath Park and Rides.
The current contract expires on August 27. The West of England Combined Authority in conjunction with Bath &North East Somerset Council is inviting tenders from bus operators for a new eight year P & R contract.

Amongst changes they wish to make are running buses to the P & R sites until around midnight.
It is also proposed to develop the P & R sites into transport hubs / interchanges.

Citistar

The local press Somerset Live has included an article on Bath Park and Rides.
The current contract expires on August 27. The West of England Combined Authority in conjunction with Bath &North East Somerset Council is inviting tenders from bus operators for a new eight year P & R contract.

Amongst changes they wish to make are running buses to the P & R sites until around midnight.
It is also proposed to develop the P & R sites into transport hubs / interchanges.
It would appear that Dan Norris has not only found a magic money tree, but a whole orchard of the damned things.

Interesting how these new proposed Royal United Hospital (RUH) services are especially designed to make them all double decker compliant, despite how crushingly inefficient it makes the routes, particularly the Newbridge service which is probably going to be slower than walking. The Lansdown and Odd Down RUH routes could be much more efficiently provided by extending the city centre services, rather than insisting upon running extra buses. If only WECA wasn't blind to the possibilities with every operator other than First. But then as their staff have told me, they know best and must not be questionned.

So much for Enhanced Partnershi*.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It's a diverted order so isn't in West of England spec.
Though the order was made some time ago, the diversion was also made before build had started rather than a last-minute change.
It would appear that Dan Norris has not only found a magic money tree, but a whole orchard of the damned things.

Interesting how these new proposed Royal United Hospital (RUH) services are especially designed to make them all double decker compliant, despite how crushingly inefficient it makes the routes, particularly the Newbridge service which is probably going to be slower than walking. The Lansdown and Odd Down RUH routes could be much more efficiently provided by extending the city centre services, rather than insisting upon running extra buses. If only WECA wasn't blind to the possibilities with every operator other than First. But then as their staff have told me, they know best and must not be questionned.

So much for Enhanced Partnershi*.
I guess a couple of things here that I'm unclear on

The tender was originally for 7-8 years so assume Covid got in the way though with the changes to the P&R livery, I didn't know if that was an agreed change or that First were doing the 21/31/41 commercially.

Also, what are these new routes? Is it a change to the 42 and a few other routes.

Lastly, what will the interchanges be used for other than a few routes and diverting in those that pass the door anyway? Unless it's suggesting that the 620 might be stopped short at Lansdown or something?

stait.john

Link to the Bath P&R article here:

Buses could run to Bath’s park and rides until almost midnight in a major shakeup of the service.

The facilities at Lansdown, Odd Down and Newbridge that currently do not run past 8.40pm Monday to Saturday and just after 6pm on Sundays.

The West of England Combined Authority is asking potential contractors to price up running services to and from the city centre until as late as 11.40pm on weekdays and Saturdays or until after 10pm on Sundays.

There is currently an hourly service to the Royal United Hospital from Odd Down but the new eight-year contracts could link the hospital to the Lansdown and Newbridge park and rides.

Tender documents show that in 2020/21 during the height of the coronavirus lockdown 319,564 passengers used the three services, bringing in £237,080 in revenue. As of December 2021 passenger numbers had recovered and more than doubled to 767,956, with a combined spend of £635,461, almost half of which was at Lansdown. Figures for 2019/20 are not given.

The Weca tender suggests the price of an adult return ticket could be cut from £3.60 in the week to £2.50, while up to five could travel together on a group ticket for just £5.40 in the first year of the new contract.

It also floats the idea of £4 a day “pay before travel car park option” for up to seven people, payable before boarding the bus, and possible overnight parking options.

A Weca spokesperson said: “The current Bath park and ride contract comes to an end on August 27. In order to award a new contract, the West of England Combined Authority in partnership with Bath and North East Somerset Council need to put out a new tender to bus operators.

“Within the tender is a request for operators to provide prices for different operating models - for example operators have been asked to bid for passengers to pay individually, by group ticket or to pay per car (this is a price per car for bus travel and not car parking which will still be free for bus passengers).

“The tender also includes options for the services to run later in the evenings, which is an aspiration of the combined authority for all services in the region. Until the tender process is completed later in the year we are unable to comment on exactly what the new service provision will look like.”

Citistar

The tender was originally for 7-8 years so assume Covid got in the way though with the changes to the P&R livery, I didn't know if that was an agreed change or that First were doing the 21/31/41 commercially.

Also, what are these new routes? Is it a change to the 42 and a few other routes.
There is no mention of 42. Perhaps First are looking to offload it as it doesn't fit with their "deckers for everything" idiocy. I'm sure WECA will have tendered exactly what First want to operate.

New routes are as follows:
"ODH" - Odd Down P&R via A367 to Junction Road, Oldfield Park, Brougham Hayes, Lower Bristol Rd, Windsor Bridge then as 42.
"NBH" - Newbridge P&R via Twerton Fork, Lower Bristol Rd, Windsor Bridge, then as 42.
"LDH" - Lansdown P&R via 31 to George Street, Queen Square, Charlotte St, Upper Bristol Road, then as 4.

The Lansdown one is particularly wasteful as it is almost exactly the 31, aside from the city centre stops. I have no idea why WECA are still persisting with making Park & Ride services as separate from the rest of the public transport network as it seems to fly in the face of the rest of their policies of compulsory integration. There are far more logical solutions to this problem.

WECA - West of England Combined Authority

Markk1990

A fair few B9’s and a gas Scania on 1/2s today, seems a few of the MMC’s are prepped ready for transfer?

DaveHarries

Established Member
To answer TheGrandWazoo just now, this picture, taken at Belfast, has just been sent by my friend, the well-known Paul Savage.

View attachment 110855
To my eye the colour scheme doesn't suit those vehicles. I am sure that the Badgerline green was a bit darker than that too so let us hope that the green is made a bit darker before they stick the badgers on (if they do). As for the Mendip Explorer livery I rather like it.

Not sure how well a midnight P&R would work but I wouldn't have thought there would be much call for it, if any. Sure you might get a few late workers but I would have thought that would be about it.

Dave

stait.john

To my eye the colour scheme doesn't suit those vehicles. I am sure that the Badgerline green was a bit darker than that too so let us hope that the green is made a bit darker before they stick the badgers on (if they do). As for the Mendip Explorer livery I rather like it.

Not sure how well a midnight P&R would work but I wouldn't have thought there would be much call for it, if any. Sure you might get a few late workers but I would have thought that would be about it.

Dave
When I drove the P&R passenger numbers railed off dramatically after 1830/1900, so it would be interesting to see how the later journeys would be used.

Don’t forget the double deckers for all was under the previous JF tenure, the current MD is changing some things back don’t forget.

I’m assuming B9s back to LH from WM when the Streetdecks arrive?

Weston’s E400s are for cascade within First.

Whiteway215

Established Member
When I drove the P&R passenger numbers railed off dramatically after 1830/1900, so it would be interesting to see how the later journeys would be used.

Don’t forget the double deckers for all was under the previous JF tenure, the current MD is changing some things back don’t forget.

I’m assuming B9s back to LH from WM when the Streetdecks arrive?

Weston’s E400s are for cascade within First.
Do we know where the E400s might be going?

Callum15632

Are they short of Citylines 3 and 4 Double Deckers? They seem to have a lot of unbranded B9s and a gas bus on the 3/4 today but they do have a couple of Purple ones on today though.

Markk1990

Are they short of Citylines 3 and 4 Double Deckers? They seem to have a lot of unbranded B9s and a gas bus on the 3/4 today but they do have a couple of Purple ones on today though.
Allocations all over the place the last couple days.

Citylines 5 B9 on Excels today amongst other variations.

Citistar

More news on the tendering front, North Somerset Council have issued a contract for a new service 50 which covers the scope of services 2, 4, 5 and 6 in Weston-super-Mare to start 25th April on one painfully long and awkward route. Service 50 involves three vehicles on an hourly frequency. There is also an alternative version 50A which involves two vehicles doing the existing 5 route, with an additional deviation along South Road, but not serving Worlebury or Bleadon.

carlberry

Established Member
More news on the tendering front, North Somerset Council have issued a contract for a new service 50 which covers the scope of services 2, 4, 5 and 6 in Weston-super-Mare to start 25th April on one painfully long and awkward route. Service 50 involves three vehicles on an hourly frequency. There is also an alternative version 50A which involves two vehicles doing the existing 5 route, with an additional deviation along South Road, but not serving Worlebury or Bleadon.
Less awkward if you use small minibuses without all the extra space needed for doors, destination equipment etc!

D2007wsm

Established Member
There are at least 2 of the new Streetdecks in Weston. I've just seen 2 coming down the A370 near Morrisons. They were going too fast and I was driving so I was unable get a picture or the registrations.

Callum15632

Has anyone got pictures of the new streetdecks in Weston and how many are there at the moment and does anyone know the registrations of the streetdecks?
Also does anyone know when they are due to enter service?

NJ51

Has anyone got pictures of the new streetdecks in Weston and how many are there at the moment and does anyone know the registrations of the streetdecks?
Also does anyone know when they are due to enter service?
There are photos of the first two unregistered Streetdecks in Badgerline 3 livery without vinyls on the First Bus West of England Enthusiast page on Facebook.

Last edited:

I apologise if it has already been mentioned but what are the numbers of the entire fleet of new StreetDecks?