• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

contrex

I'm hearing stories of a restoration of the Bristol route 25 from Monday 3rd April between Broadmead, St Paul’s, Eastgate and Horfield Common with some journeys starting or terminating at Southmead Hospital. No timetable available yet. On a local Facebook community group there's a pic of a bus with 'Transpora' over the door? On a post by someone called 'Rhys Hand'. Are they a real bus company?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Any explanation as to how this happens?

Still tracking as the 5:50 to Southmead even though it’s now turned around and heading towards Kingswood… normally that’s the 7:05 to Kingswood but it’s running over 15 minutes early!

Dai Corner

Established Member
I'm hearing stories of a restoration of the Bristol route 25 from Monday 3rd April between Broadmead, St Paul’s, Eastgate and Horfield Common with some journeys starting or terminating at Southmead Hospital. No timetable available yet. On a local Facebook community group there's a pic of a bus with 'Transpora' over the door? On a post by someone called 'Rhys Hand'. Are they a real bus company?
Yes. There's a thread devoted to them and @RhysHand is the owner of Transpora and a member of the forum.

-Colly405-

Coming back to the April changes impacting Thornbury, the TravelWest list of changes has today (or late yesterday) been updated to show that the T1 is now going to be routed via UWE.
Here's the link: https://travelwest.info/bus/bus-service-changes/
But here's a screenshot as the content of the link may well change again!

1679568866775.png
This reasserts info from about a month ago, when First went as far as publishing a Sunday timetable showing UWE as a timing point.
This isn't reflected yet on the First website, and I'm sure could change a few more times before we know what is actually happening...
The latest update showing on VOSA showed up on Tuesday, and was received 3/3. It mentions route change, but that is no help as it could equally apply to the (re)extension to the Centre.
The link between Thornbury and UWE is long-established and presumably the bone of contention here as to whether it is maintained or not.

Citistar

I may be wrong, but i've heard the suggestion that the route via UWE was dependent upon the T1 being allowed to use the Metrobus M32 junction, which one would assume has been declined ergo no Thornbury - UWE service.

-Colly405-

I may be wrong, but i've heard the suggestion that the route via UWE was dependent upon the T1 being allowed to use the Metrobus M32 junction, which one would assume has been declined ergo no Thornbury - UWE service.
Possibly, but the latest update from any interested party is WECA's page now saying it *is* running via UWE.
Perhaps it should become the mT1... :D

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Possibly, but the latest update from any interested party is WECA's page now saying it *is* running via UWE.
Perhaps it should become the mT1... :D
Perhaps I'm wrong but as long as services meet the quality criteria (age, emissions) then they can use metrobus infrastructure? Would the T1 not meet that? As I say, I may well be wrong ;)

father_jack

The T1 going into UWE ruins the "superfast" to Bristol where you change off your M1 or M4 at Harry Stoke when you see the T1 behind you in the distance !!!

matt_splat

Perhaps I'm wrong but as long as services meet the quality criteria (age, emissions) then they can use metrobus infrastructure? Would the T1 not meet that? As I say, I may well be wrong ;)
The issue I've heard is that it's not making enough money. The UWE diversion should help with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Citistar

I'm no longer sure what is still part of the Metrobus conditions and what isn't. It also appears that certain parts of the Metrobus infrastructure are more sacrosanct than others - i would place the M32 junction and the Ashton Vale segregated route at the top of the list for sections which must only be served by Metrobus branded and compliant services.

-Colly405-

The issue ive heard is its not making enough money the uwe diversion should help with this
Of course the T1 will now be part funded through BSIP, whichever way it goes...

Does perhaps over provide on the City to UWe section though. 13/hour off peak it would bring (3xT1, 3xm3, 3xm4, 4xm1) plus an extra hourly m1 in the peaks. Plus the 70/74 every 10 via Filton Ave...

DaveLondon

Yes they are currently operating in Bristol - trading name for Altonian Coaches - there is a separate thread on here.

-Colly405-

... and Travelwest this morning now shows the T1 *not* serving UWE...

Same link as before...: https://travelwest.info/bus/bus-service-changes/

SERVICE NUMBERROUTE DESCRIPTIONSUMMARY OF CHANGES
1 (Bristol) First WoECribbs Causeway – Henbury – Brentry – Westbury-on-Trym – Westbury Park – Clifton Down – Centre – Broadmead – Temple Meads – Totterdown – Broom Hill.Timetable revised, no change to route

Last edited by a moderator:

freetoview33

Established Member
... and Travelwest this morning now shows the T1 *not* serving UWE...

Same link as before...: https://travelwest.info/bus/bus-service-changes/

SERVICE NUMBERROUTE DESCRIPTIONSUMMARY OF CHANGES
1 (Bristol) First WoECribbs Causeway – Henbury – Brentry – Westbury-on-Trym – Westbury Park – Clifton Down – Centre – Broadmead – Temple Meads – Totterdown – Broom Hill.Timetable revised, no change to route
Not sure why you're showing the 1 and not the T1!?

Marcus Fryer

Not sure why you're showing the 1 and not the T1!?
That’s odd. When I looked earlier this morning the screenshot was showing the T1:
(same link as posted by -Colly405-)

T1 (South Glocs) First WoE
Thornbury – Alveston – Rudgeway – Almondsbury – Patchway (Aztec West) – Bradley Stoke (Bradley Stoke Way – Great Stoke Way) – Bristol
Timetable revised and frequency increased. Extended to serve Bristol City Centre.
1679926193741.png

Last edited:

-Colly405-

It seems that my earlier post was edited by a moderator for "legibility/readabiliy improvements" 10 minutes before @freetoview33 commented; said moderator looks to have possibly removed my attachment that specifically showed the T1; what is left of my post now looks to be the thumbnail of the weblink, which of course starts with the 1, defeating the point of the post!...

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I perhaps copied the wrong line from the table, but you must copy and paste the text from external sites rather than posting screenshots - this makes your posts more accessible.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I perhaps copied the wrong line from the table, but you must copy and paste the text from external sites rather than posting screenshots - this makes your posts more accessible.
I think all that's happened is that somebody made a mistake while updating the website and soon corrected it?

-Colly405-

I think all that's happened is that somebody made a mistake while updating the website and soon corrected it?
Maybe. A mistake that repeated information that had been shared a few weeks ago, and is incorrect!
But it looks as though all sources now show the T1 as *not* serving UWE. Which is a shame for those who used to use the 10 to get from Thornbury to UWE, but good for those who want a quicker journey to town...

Man of Kent

Maybe. A mistake that repeated information that had been shared a few weeks ago, and is incorrect!
But it looks as though all sources now show the T1 as *not* serving UWE. Which is a shame for those who used to use the 10 to get from Thornbury to UWE, but good for those who want a quicker journey to town...
I think the map on the Firstbus website shows the T1 using the normal motorway junction, not the bus only one. But as it is non-stop between Harry Stoke and the city centre, it could still potentially use the latter if permitted (perfectly possible to register alternative routes on non-stop sections).

volvob12

Not ideal, but, is there no reason for that not to be possible to do the opposite of the below and switch?
The T1 going into UWE ruins the "superfast" to Bristol where you change off your M1 or M4 at Harry Stoke when you see the T1 behind you in the distance !!!

nw1

Established Member
Indeed. The best interchange point is T1 to Harry Stoke, then m1, m4 or 19.

Harry Stoke, that's a place? They certainly go in for some unusual names round there.

See: Brentry, Catbrain.

(Sorry for the OT diversion!)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Harry Stoke, that's a place? They certainly go in for some unusual names round there.
Off-topic (but I'll keep it short so as not to annoy the mods) but there was a website called That Be Bristle in the mid-2000s, curated by two people (!) called Harry Stoke and Vinny Green; they're actually both places in Greater Bristol. The Dictionary of Bristle was published and was a spin-off from the website. If you're prepared to travel further from Bristol, you have Farrington Gurney just after Temple Cloud (on the 376 towards Wells), you can chill in Pill on the X4, or within the city, you can take the First Citylines 3 to the delightfully named Coombe Dingle! I'll stop there before we have to start a new thread about odd places to visit by bus.

It'll be interesting to see what happens on Monday with First's increased commitments vs. driver shortages. Have grave reservations on the use of the BSIP funds.

nw1

Established Member
Off-topic (but I'll keep it short so as not to annoy the mods) but there was a website called That Be Bristle in the mid-2000s, curated by two people (!) called Harry Stoke and Vinny Green; they're actually both places in Greater Bristol. The Dictionary of Bristle was published and was a spin-off from the website. If you're prepared to travel further from Bristol, you have Farrington Gurney just after Temple Cloud (on the 376 towards Wells), you can chill in Pill on the X4, or within the city, you can take the First Citylines 3 to the delightfully named Coombe Dingle! I'll stop there before we have to start a new thread about odd places to visit by bus.
Interesting. Yes, best stop there as well but isn't there also a Rodney Stoke and Bradley Stoke? The three Stoke brothers. ;)

-Colly405-

Back on topic,
Bradley Stoke is served by the 73, m1 and T1.
Harry Stoke the 19, m1, m4 and T1.
Little Stoke the 19, m4 and Y6.
Great Stoke the m1, T1, Y6
And Stoke Gifford the m4, 19, Y6, 73

But there is no local Rodney Stoke.

There, back on topic as that is just First's routes in the area...

Marcus Fryer

Back on topic,
Bradley Stoke is served by the 73, m1 and T1.
Harry Stoke the 19, m1, m4 and T1.
Little Stoke the 19, m4 and Y6.
Great Stoke the m1, T1, Y6
And Stoke Gifford the m4, 19, Y6, 73

But there is no local Rodney Stoke.

There, back on topic as that is just First's routes in the area...
Don’t think the 19 serves Little Stoke any more.