• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West Yorkshire & York discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whiteway215

Established Member
Anyone know where I can find a full FirstYork bus fleet list?
UK Buses.co.uk do a fleet list for First W Yorks / First York probably a good bet. Or Sheffield Omnibus Enthusiats Soc do one but a bit out of date.

Seehof

Am I just in York at the wrong time or are all the electric buses withdrawn from service at the moment? I have not seen one since before the lockdown.

Andyh82

Established Member
Am I just in York at the wrong time or are all the electric buses withdrawn from service at the moment? I have not seen one since before the lockdown.
3 of the Park & Rides are closed including Poppleton Bar which is the main electric site, and the others are running a reduced timetable, so I’d imagine what you are saying is correct

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
3 of the Park & Rides are closed including Poppleton Bar which is the main electric site, and the others are running a reduced timetable, so I’d imagine what you are saying is correct
Poppleton Bar is being used as a Covid testing centre and as that's where the Versas recharge between journeys, that probably explains it.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Looks like First Halifax have been successful in winning a few contracts, notably the X58 and 560 (and likely the 561/2), bringing them back to most routes through Ripponden.

Changes will be from 31 August.

bluenoxid

Established Member
X84 appears to being split into two routes from 13 July.

Leeds-Ilkley X84
Otley-Skipton 784

Trial results help manage social distancing capacity on Otley corridor as lockdown eases

First Leeds is restoring stopping points on its X84 route between Otley and Leeds. This follows the conclusion of a trial to examine passenger numbers on the corridor to help manage social distancing on buses with the easing of lockdown restrictions in recent weeks.

The service will resume pick up and drop off at bus stops between Weetwood Police Station and Headingley through to Leeds Bus Station on inward and outbound journeys from Sunday 12 July.

Analysis from the trial, which began on the 1 June, has also enabled First Leeds to re-introduce a link between Skipton and Otley as a separate service to replace the X84/X85 shared link. The 784 will operate from Monday 13 July with an hourly service Monday-Saturday.

Passenger data showed First Leeds that the majority of customers using the shared link travelled between Otley and Skipton, and therefore having a dedicated connection will benefit customers by avoiding the potential for problems on the Skipton or Leeds leg of the corridor affecting other sections of the route.

Martin Hirst, Commercial Director of First West Yorkshire, said: “We have more than a month’s worth of data which has helped us to understand that, while we had concerns over capacity with the opening up some retail during June, we haven’t seen a significant impact along the corridor and so are able to bring the bus stops back into use.

“We will continue to keep this under review as further lockdown restrictions are lifted and as we need to take into account any changes in social distancing measures.”

Part of the trial was to assess the possibility to reduce journey times for the longest trips. “As we look further ahead, we are interested in examining ways we can introduce faster and more reliable journeys for customers on this corridor and we will work with councillors and partners including Connecting Leeds and West Yorkshire Combined Authority in taking this forward,” Martin Hirst added.

M60lad

Considering 561/562 have to be minibuses have we any idea what First Halifax are going to use on the route and where the minibuses will come from as they've only got a handful of Solos at the moment unless their planning on transfering in vehicles from other First operations.

As for X58 they can use virtually any single decker in the fleet.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Considering 561/562 have to be minibuses have we any idea what First Halifax are going to use on the route and where the minibuses will come from as they've only got a handful of Solos at the moment unless their planning on transfering in vehicles from other First operations.

It's a tricky one as there aren't even that many Solos in the First empire at all, with the only ones delivered in modern times being 15 for Hants and Dorset and 9 for Bath.

How many vehicles do these tenders require?

Andyh82

Established Member
The X58 needs 2 buses, although Tiger currently* run the hourly service every 70 minutes as the running times are just a bit too long to run an hourly frequency.

* pre Covid of course, at the moment it’s just 4 buses per day

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The X58 needs 2 buses, although Tiger currently* run the hourly service every 70 minutes as the running times are just a bit too long to run an hourly frequency.

* pre Covid of course, at the moment it’s just 4 buses per day

This highlights one of the things I hope will now improve. First normally run the 560 every hour, Tiger run the X58 every 70 minutes. And in the morning peak Ripponden has 2 buses arrive in Halifax in the hour before 0900. About 3 minutes apart. When I last lived in Ripponden in 2001 there were 4 buses along the main road in that hour.

I'm hoping this will see the return of a proper half-hourly service from Ripponden along the A58.

Geeves

Established Member
Have the 561 and 562 routes changed over the years? they used to be double deckers or full size buses in the past.

Andyh82

Established Member
Have the 561 and 562 routes changed over the years? they used to be double deckers or full size buses in the past.
Yes the current services are completely different to what you are probably thinking of

This 561/562 is a circular minibus running both sides of the valley bottom either side of Ripponden, they started in 2015 replacing the 531 and 557/559

You're presumably thinking of the old services that ran along the main road from Halifax to Ripponden and at one time reached Oldham

mic

i remember the 562 to Oldham back in the 1990s before firstbus anything could appear on it then good old days

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

I know that First West Yorkshire have used a small batch of Plaxton Primo's in the past when they took over the Todmorden Town and Hebden Bridge services a a few years back before TLC took over. First West of England had a Plaxton Primo on temporary service 266 back in 2016 as I saw one parked up in Westbury, no idea if they still have it or a few as if they still have them they could be transfered to Halifax for the 561/562.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I know that First West Yorkshire have used a small batch of Plaxton Primo's in the past when they took over the Todmorden Town and Hebden Bridger services a a few years back before TLC took over. First West of England had a Plaxton Primo on temporary service 266 back in 2016 as I saw one parked up in Westbury, no idea if they still have it or a few as if they still have them they could be transfered to Halifax for the 561/562.

First have no Plaxton Primos. The ones that were there were on loan from Dawsons (I think) and the other one (57000) that came from Truronian was disposed of three years ago and is now working for a firm in Worcestershire. Oh, and they are hopelessly unreliable which is why most are now baked bean tins

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
First have no Plaxton Primos. The ones that were there were on loan from Dawsons (I think) and the other one (57000) that came from Truronian was disposed of three years ago and is now working for a firm in Worcestershire. Oh, and they are hopelessly unreliable which is why most are now baked bean tins

The ones that First West Yorks used were all over white so these will have been the hire ins, the one I saw in Westbury in 2016 was in the "Barbie" livery so this will more than likely have be 57000 (I'll have to have a look for the photo). What I do know is that Halifax does have a handful of Streetlites as one was on the 549 (Halifax > Brighouse > Nunnery Lane) so it's possible that these may end up being used on the 561/562.

As for the new 784 Otley to Skipton service, the timetable is also available: https://www.dalesbus.org/uploads/1/1/3/9/113919127/784.pdf

bluenoxid

Established Member
Are we 100% sure that First have won the tender for 561/2?

First are not adverse to working with other local operators to operate what are classed as their routes. Are there any candidates in this area?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Are we 100% sure that First have won the tender for 561/2?

First are not adverse to working with other local operators to operate what are classed as their routes. Are there any candidates in this area?
Think it was suspected but not confirmed

The ones that First West Yorks used were all over white so these will have been the hire ins, the one I saw in Westbury in 2016 was in the "Barbie" livery so this will more than likely have be 57000

57000 was the only one in livery and was allocated to Bath as well as short spells.

If,stress if, they get those tenders, I’d expect nothing more than either short e200s or Solos.

AB93

Think it was suspected but not confirmed

57000 was the only one in livery and was allocated to Bath as well as short spells.

If,stress if, they get those tenders, I’d expect nothing more than either short e200s or Solos.

First Essex 57001/57002 also wore Barbie (and I believe pre-date into fleet the Truronian one that became the lower-numbered 57000?).

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

If they do get those tenders and E200's were to be used, then it would be a first (no pun intended) for Halifax and West Yorkshire since FWY don't use E200's however saying that First York does for its service HSB (Rawcliffe Bar to Hospital).

We'll find out in a few weeks when the next timetable changes take place, it wouldn't suprise me to see some of the aborted May changes in there too.

Andyh82

Established Member
If they do get those tenders and E200's were to be used, then it would be a first (no pun intended) for Halifax and West Yorkshire since FWY don't use E200's however saying that First York does for its service HSB (Rawcliffe Bar to Hospital).

We'll find out in a few weeks when the next timetable changes take place, it wouldn't suprise me to see some of the aborted May changes in there too.
These changes are all for September by the way

As far as I’m aware the July change date won’t be happening either

darloscott

The York ones have gone back off lease (Dawsons I believe) and now have Streetlites operating the Hospital P&R.

upasalmon

On Moderation
I haven't checked all the posts but I wonder if First Oldham is under the wing of FWY, as it is a contiguous operation . The First Pennine name could be used for this fleet.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I haven't checked all the posts but I wonder if First Oldham is under the wing of FWY, as it is a contiguous operation . The First Pennine name could be used for this fleet.

Not unless it's changed very recently. Why would they change to First Pennine?

upasalmon

On Moderation
Because First Manchester would no longer be an appropriate name, and for Oldham obviously isn't in West Yorkshire, but Oldham is nearer to the Pennines.