• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Group: General Discussion

winston270twm

Established Member
I wouldn't say Wigan was that profitable if at all. I heard that the Monday morning 135 trips took more cash than the whole Wigan operation on a monday under First Manchester

Really?

Extract from below article:

But analysts questioned why FirstGroup is selling a business that returned an operating profit of £1.5m on revenues of £13.2m in the year to 31 March, delivering a 11.3 per cent margin.

https://www.scotsman.com/business/m...us-business-from-firstgroup-for-12m-1-2607002

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Not for the first time, I find myself in agreement with much of what Julian has written. He may not run one of the 'Big 5' but he's certainly been around long enough to know what he's talking about. The fact that he, successfully, runs the likes of Centrebus (and numerous other of the smaller operations) indicates that he's probably better than many at analysing costs vs income.

I do agree with Winston that Greyhound should have been offloaded at the earliest opportunity. Indeed, with the benefit of hindsight, it's quite difficult to see what forward thinking was ever coming from Tim O'Toole - presumably it was just fire fighting all the time.

winston270twm

Established Member
Not for the first time, I find myself in agreement with much of what Julian has written. He may not run one of the 'Big 5' but he's certainly been around long enough to know what he's talking about. The fact that he, successfully, runs the likes of Centrebus (and numerous other of the smaller operations) indicates that he's probably better than many at analysing costs vs income.

I do agree with Winston that Greyhound should have been offloaded at the earliest opportunity. Indeed, with the benefit of hindsight, it's quite difficult to see what forward thinking was ever coming from Tim O'Toole - presumably it was just fire fighting all the time.

Giles Fearnley is equally been around long enough to Julian peddle, he's experience & Blazefield background still haven't been enough to improve UK Bus performance. Smaller companies are run very differently to much larger PLC's, in all areas.

I suspect if they are lucky enough to find someone to take Greyhound off their hands, the balance sheet will also take a hit on that.....

overthewater

Established Member
Could Blockhead has made a request for it not to be sold?

Sorry - don’t understand what you mean?

It will be detailed in the financial statements for each firm.

What I meant was how do we know there is £98m worth of Goodwill within First yet not know which companies are linked to it.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Giles Fearnley is equally been around long enough to Julian peddle, he's experience & Blazefield background still haven't been enough to improve UK Bus performance. Smaller companies are run very differently to much larger PLC's, in all areas.

I suspect if they are lucky enough to find someone to take Greyhound off their hands, the balance sheet will also take a hit on that.....

But Giles isn't the top guy, able to make decisions on his own, - Julian is.

oldman

Regarding the London sell-off, at the time they were talking about getting back to double-digit margins, which London didn't do, but some of the provincial cities had been achieving.

overthewater

Established Member
Er... tell me what goodwill is?

Im getting more confused what this is:

Goodwill is an intangible asset that arises when onecompany purchases another for a premium value. The value of a company's brand name, solid customer base, good customer relations, good employee relations ,and any patents or proprietary technology represent goodwill. ???

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Im getting more confused what this is:

Goodwill is an intangible asset that arises when onecompany purchases another for a premium value.

The value of a company's brand name, solid customer base, good customer relations, good employee relations ,and any patents or proprietary technology represent goodwill. ???

Read the first line and ponder...

overthewater

Established Member
So the loses at Midland bluebird in the most recent public accounts will have this goodwill highlight the sell of border operations.

# An intangible asset is an asset that is not physical in nature. Goodwill, brand recognition and intellectual property, such as patents, trademarks and copyrights, are all intangible assets.

I wouldn't say there were any goodwill when it comes to First brand?

winston270twm

Established Member
But Giles isn't the top guy, able to make decisions on his own, - Julian is.

He isn't though, he doesn't own any of the bus companies he's involved with outright, he's a joint shareholder / investor (Only Centrebus he has a majority stake in of 75% or more). Giles is the top guy for UK Bus at least, even Tim O'Toole & co can't make decisions without putting them before the board & in some instances shareholders.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
So the loses at Midland bluebird in the most recent public accounts will have this goodwill highlight the sell of border operations.

# An intangible asset is an asset that is not physical in nature. Goodwill, brand recognition and intellectual property, such as patents, trademarks and copyrights, are all intangible assets.

I wouldn't say there were any goodwill when it comes to First brand?

The first line is correct - Lowland was bought for £2.4m and who knows how much was goodwill. It’ll be there somewhere in the mists of time but say £120k (5%). Essentially and crudely, it’s the price paid less the real assets of property, vehicles and plant

They may have realigned some of that in the past (offset by property sales) but if they didn’t, then that would need to be shown as a hit in the P&L.

Now do that for the bigger firms that they really wanted and paid a premium for!

ivanhoe

They’ve already done it for Greyhound
Correct. If only it were possible for First Student and First Transit. Those goodwill figures would scare me if I was a shareholder. Gee whiz! What were they thinking of when making those acquisitions at the prices they paid!

winston270twm

Established Member
Correct. If only it were possible for First Student and First Transit. Those goodwill figures would scare me if I was a shareholder. Gee whiz! What were they thinking of when making those acquisitions at the prices they paid!

To be the biggest at any cost.....

Don't forgot after the Laidlaw acquisition, Lockhead also proposed a merger with NX Group in 2009.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
To be the biggest at any cost.....

Don't forgot after the Laidlaw acquisition, Lockhead also proposed a merger with NX Group in 2009.

That was the issue. The utter hubris of Blockhead in wanting to be the biggest. That was evident well before when they paid an eye watering sum for Cawlett - well in excess of what the assets were worth.

Remember that Moir wasn't an accountant - he was one of those busmen who apparently know their onions more than the bean counters. If only he'd sold Greyhound when Souter was a-calling.

winston270twm

Established Member
That was the issue. The utter hubris of Blockhead in wanting to be the biggest. That was evident well before when they paid an eye watering sum for Cawlett - well in excess of what the assets were worth.

Remember that Moir wasn't an accountant - he was one of those busmen who apparently know their onions more than the bean counters. If only he'd sold Greyhound when Souter was a-calling.

That is the whole issue with FGP, they BOD are far to slow to react and do anything.....

Now they're going to try & sell Greyhound when it's performance is deteriorating and they've got the added headache that Flixbus are expanding already only 2 months after launch, good plan!
https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/19/euro-startup-flixbus-expands-its-10-bus-service-in-california/

Robertj21a

On Moderation
If any other operators are really keen on taking over specific First Group routes they only have to register a fresh service over the top of the existing First Bus service. The fact that this hardly ever happens probably says quite a bit about the 'quality' of what First operate - and the state of bus operations in the UK in general.

Dai Corner

Established Member
If any other operators are really keen on taking over specific First Group routes they only have to register a fresh service over the top of the existing First Bus service. The fact that this hardly ever happens probably says quite a bit about the 'quality' of what First operate - and the state of bus operations in the UK in general.

Like Wessex did in (profitable) Bristol and Webberbus did in (marginal) Somerset? You'd need deep pockets to dislodge First, judging by the outcomes of those attempts.

overthewater

Established Member
Where are Webberbus? in the gutter... Lothian has copied First routes, the same routes the passengers complained about. You just need silly people making the same mistakes.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Like Wessex did in (profitable) Bristol and Webberbus did in (marginal) Somerset? You'd need deep pockets to dislodge First, judging by the outcomes of those attempts.

I'm certainly not thinking of the likes of minnows such as Webberbus.
Deeper pockets are available for the likes of National Express, Stagecoach, GoAhead, RATP etc - if they are in neighbouring locations it shouldn't be too difficult to register over a few key First Bus routes. Probably far cheaper than anyone bothering to buy the whole operation, warts and all.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I don't think FGP should have sold off London or Wigan in 2013, both were profitable ops with London being a good source of midlife buses for the poorer performing ops in the provinces.

I wouldn't say Wigan was that profitable if at all

Really?

Extract from below article:

But analysts questioned why FirstGroup is selling a business that returned an operating profit of £1.5m on revenues of £13.2m in the year to 31 March, delivering a 11.3 per cent margin.

https://www.scotsman.com/business/m...us-business-from-firstgroup-for-12m-1-2607002

Chicken and egg here.

Why were First selling "profitable" Wigan could equally be turned around to "why would Stagecoach offer much money for any operation that wasn't profitable?".

I don't know how profitable Wigan actually was (the figures quoted above look good but there were stories at the time about the age of the fleet and the cost of bringing it up to spec, so it may be that they were only looking good due to flogging tired buses into the ground, and the alternative to Stagecoach's offer would have required First to put their hand in their pocket and upgrade the tired fleet).

All I know is that, if you want to bring in reasonable revenues then you have to consider selling some of the profitable operations - everything has its price - Stagecoach aren't daft - you're not going to raise enough cash to keep the market happy from disposing of piddly little marginal depots like North Berwick - I keep reading comments along the lines of "Why would First want to sell off a profitable city like (INSERT NAME HERE)..." but if you want to raise money then you have to be prepared to let some "crown jewels" go - tinkering around the edges and walking away from disaster zones like Northampton isn't going to make much difference.

Part of First's problem is that they had a number of potential "crown jewels" twenty years ago but have managed to turn decent city networks like Sheffield and Stoke into messes - even the potential flagships of Glasgow and Aberdeen are only kept going by regular PVR reductions and keeping buses on the road much longer than they should have been (B10BLEs were great in the 1990s but it's the second half of 2018 and they are still running around).

Regarding the London sell-off, at the time they were talking about getting back to double-digit margins, which London didn't do, but some of the provincial cities had been achieving.

True - and there's also the issue of whether London was becoming the tail that wagged the "provincial" dog - 95% of the investment was in London (because contracts demanded new vehicles) so previously healthy big-city operations had to make do with cascaded dual doored vehicles that were fairly knackered for future use (meaning somewhere like Bristol/ Sheffield/ Glasgow had to spend money converting them just for the sake of acquiring a mid-life Trident with a tiny number of seats downstairs due to London specification/ big staircases etc).

Okay, London has changed (since you can't dump "used" Borismasters to normal cities), but prior to the time of the dispersal, it had skewed the "provincial" First fleet - Stagecoach (who got out of London earlier, before going back in) seemed to be reaping the benefits of regularly investing in provincial places - compare Stagecoach investment in Manchester with First investment in Manchester during the first decade of the millennium.

I take @winston270twm 's point about "London being a good source of midlife buses for the poorer performing ops in the provinces", but the problem was that London ended up being the source of midlife buses for provincial operations that used to be able to afford new buses every year (before First's business model turned them into dumping grounds for Marshall Darts and other cast-offs).

overthewater

Established Member
Stagecoach dont ship out any of there mid life london stock anymore? in fact its all leased. So If first had kept London it could have moved over to such a model. Lothian ended up buying ex london stock but has spent £££ to refurb them.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Stagecoach dont ship out any of there mid life london stock anymore? in fact its all leased. So If first had kept London it could have moved over to such a model. Lothian ended up buying ex london stock but has spent £££ to refurb them.

Lothian has, *by choice*, bought good quality vehicles and intends to keep them for many years. In the past, First operations in the provinces had little *choice* about what vehicles they got cascaded from London and some of them were not what might have been considered if they'd been able to buy new.