• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fish & Chips Shops: Regional differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 4 chippies within striking distance of our house, 3 of them owned by the same Greek family. In addition to the usual delights they also do a very good line in various kebabs and pizzas. The staff are always extremely pleasant but one thing that does concern me is that none of them seem to stock Tartare Sauce.

I've always found that Greeks do the best fish and chips too. Unfortunately in the Midlands there's not that many good chippies about any more. Shame.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mac

not been on for a few days so only just seen this. What I would like to no about fish and chip shops is why do they say outside Traditional fish and chips what is non Traditional

IanD

Established Member
not been on for a few days so only just seen this. What I would like to no about fish and chip shops is why do they say outside Traditional fish and chips what is non Traditional?

Heston Blumenthal's version.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
@IanD and others- can you suggest a decent chipper down here (MK) as i cant find one. They all tend to be serving kebabs and pizzas and fries rather than being a proper fish shop.

TQ

No mention of battered chips? Are they just a Wolverhampton thing?

Personally I normally have mini fish, sausage, chips and curry sauce available in tthe vast majority of the chippies round here (Shropshire / Worcestershire).

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've always found that Greeks do the best fish and chips too. Unfortunately in the Midlands there's not that many good chippies about any more. Shame.
There's a Greek-owned chippy in Droitwich; I find they generally serve the best tasting chips.

IanD

Established Member
@IanD and others- can you suggest a decent chipper down here (MK) as i cant find one. They all tend to be serving kebabs and pizzas and fries rather than being a proper fish shop.

The one I use most is The Golden Fry in Newport Pagnell (as it's closest to home). Napoli in New Bradwell or Fenny Fish Bar in Fenny Stratford are also quite good, although I haven't been to the latter for a while.

Smarts in Bletchley and Stony Stratford are OK too.

There's one in Broughton that won the 'Central/Southern Shop of the year' a couple of years back but personally I'd give it a miss and could never understand how it could win compared to any of the above, never mind the rest of the region.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just remembered the Madeira Fish Bar in Wolverton which sells deep fried mars bars.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The one I use most is The Golden Fry in Newport Pagnell (as it's closest to home). Napoli in New Bradwell or Fenny Fish Bar in Fenny Stratford are also quite good, although I haven't been to the latter for a while.

Smarts in Bletchley and Stony Stratford are OK too.

There's one in Broughton that won the 'Central/Southern Shop of the year' a couple of years back but personally I'd give it a miss and could never understand how it could win compared to any of the above, never mind the rest of the region.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just remembered the Madeira Fish Bar in Wolverton which sells deep fried mars bars.

Cheers - Fenny Fish Bar has really gone down hill - i think it was taken over. I go to Smarts now and that is about the best i have found. Will try Pagnell/Wolvo next!

IanD

Established Member
Cheers - Fenny Fish Bar has really gone down hill - i think it was taken over. I go to Smarts now and that is about the best i have found. Will try Pagnell/Wolvo next!

Oh - Fenny Fish Bar used to be owned/run by the same people as Napoli in New Bradwell. Will give it a miss too then!

D6975

Established Member
I don't think anyone has pointed out that vinegar in Scottish chippies tends to be the colourless variety, unless I've missed it wading through.
And Yorkshire chippies do tend to sell the 'potato/fish/potato sandwich' type of fishcake in my experience.
The best chippy I've been to was in Seahouses many moons ago, haven't a clue to the name, but I suspect it's the one referred to earlier by D841 Roebuck. post 102.

The best one in Bristol is a short walk from Lawrence Hill station.
Hamblins, Avonvale Road.

Last edited:

Spaceflower

Established Member

These are becoming increasingly common in the North East and the fish is often inedible in these places. It's either a lower quality white fish or it's overcooked. As a result, decent fish and chip shops are becoming harder to find.

Oh and it's always 'wi scraps'.

Mince pie comes in as a close second, cutting a hole the top to dip the chips, as well as battered sausage dripping in vinegar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
If you are struggling for a decent chippie, how about a good old East End Pie and Mash shop.

Wide choice on the menu:

Pie and Mash
Double Pie and Mash
Pie and Double Mash
Double Pie and Double Mash

Or Jellied Eels if that takes your fancy.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Yeah, but the important thing is: make you have the pie and mash (or *non-jellied* eels and mash) with liquor - - - and not with gravy.

(I know a few reasonably decent ones in Essex: probably the one in Rumford Market Hall, just off Romford Market, stands out: there are couple of good ones in Southend, too, and in Hornchurch, and Ilford, and Dagenham Heathway. The one at Pitsea Broadway is less good...)

Last edited:

Established Member
Rumford Market Hall - that takes me back. Liquor - of course.

Another outside Upton Park station - very popular when West Ham are at home.

Even been in one in Maldon, someone must have been longing for home to set up shop there.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
If you are struggling for a decent chippie, how about a good old East End Pie and Mash shop.

Wide choice on the menu:

Pie and Mash
Double Pie and Mash
Pie and Double Mash
Double Pie and Double Mash

Or Jellied Eels if that takes your fancy.

Wot no spam? :razz:

Tibbs

I'm agog that no-one has yet mentioned the magnificence that is the King Rib.

Had one for the first time in years when I was back up in Edinburgh this Summer.

Reformed Pork Patty, coated in Barbecue Sauce, dipped in batter and deep fried. You have a heart attack just lifting it off the styrofoam, but by god is it good. King Rib Supper, lots of Salt & Sauce and I'm a happy camper.

Since moving to and around London, I've only found one good chippy near where ever I've been living, the Viking Chippy in North Watford. Queues out the door, everything cooked to order and fantastic chips. I live the wrong end of town now to get back home before it's cold, which is great for my arteries.

Visiting my sister years ago when she lived in Chester revealed an odd option of bread soaked in the juice from the mushy peas. I don't recall the name, but it was something I just couldn't face trying, and I've eaten bugs! :lol:

You can definitely get Saveloys in Scotland, they're just called smoked sausage.

D6975

Established Member
Just remembered one odd thing I saw in a chippie in Glasgow a few years ago.
I'd already become aware of that wonderful delicacy the deep fried mars bar, but...

the deep fried cream egg was new to me.

Not seen it since either.

Chew Chew

Just remembered one odd thing I saw in a chippie in Glasgow a few years ago.
I'd already become aware of that wonderful delicacy the deep fried mars bar, but...

the deep fried cream egg was new to me.

Not seen it since either.

The deep fried Mars Bar started a few miles away from me in Stonehaven and it was around there other chocolate bars were battered and fried to begin with as well.

As Tibbs mentioned a King Rib is nice but not a patch on a red pudding or a decent bit of haddock. Haddock is so much better than cod.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Oh - Fenny Fish Bar used to be owned/run by the same people as Napoli in New Bradwell. Will give it a miss too then!

lets not ruin the guys trade - i might be wrong they just might have gone crap! Bets thing to do is get a fish supper tonight and report back ;)

Tibbs

The deep fried Mars Bar started a few miles away from me in Stonehaven and it was around there other chocolate bars were battered and fried to begin with as well.

As Tibbs mentioned a King Rib is nice but not a patch on a red pudding or a decent bit of haddock. Haddock is so much better than cod.

I'm a recent convert to the depe fried mard bar. At uni the Chocolat du jour was the curley wurly.

I've never had red pudding, but if you're putting in the bold claim that it's better than the King Rib, then it's a must for my next trip North of the Border! :D

And you're right - Haddock is better than Cod. I quite like a bit of Pollack or Whiting as well, but as a less 'white' white fish they tend to get short shrift.

Aldaniti

There's only one to eat chips in my house. Twice fried with cider vinegar and a light sprinkling of salt.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
What better to took into after getting home than this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 58

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I had no choice over the veg, mum's orders. :roll:

Ignoring them however…

theblackwatch

Established Member
Sorry, but that just does not look like a chippy meal!

And does your mum know you are taking pictures of meals and posting them on the internet? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.