• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fishguard - Nuneaton via Crewe??

Status
Not open for further replies.

james60059

Good Evening Folks

As a somewhat regular traveller to Ireland to visit family via Fishguard Harbour, my ticket generally tends to be an "Economy Return" with no set route.

On returning, I usually do the afternoon "boat train" departure at 13:30 to Cheltenham Spa (Fishguard service terminates there), Birmingham New Street and then Nuneaton.

What I would like like to know is would that return ticket be valid travelling via Cardiff Central - Crewe on the WAG service and then Nuneaton?.

Just something different really.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All Line Rover

Established Member
Don't quote me on this (someone will have to check the Routeing Guide which I am unable to access right now), but considering the amount of tickets that are valid via that route, I see no reason why this one wouldn't be too - especially since it's a very long journey, which usually have flexible routeings. I would say the route is reasonable (ish! :lol:), but even if it is permitted according to the RG, I wouldn't try it unless you could at least get a reservation at least between Cardiff and Shrewsbury.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Swansea is the only routeing point for Fishguard Harbour.
Nuneaton is a routeing point.

Valid maps are BD+CE+WM, CE+WM and HW+CA.

The primary routes you can take are:

Swansea - Newport - Bristol - Cheltenham - Birmingham - Nuneaton
Swansea - Newport - Gloucester - Cheltenham - Birmingham - Nuneaton
Swansea - Newport - Hereford - Worcester - Birmingham - Nuneaton
Swansea - Craven Arms (via Heart of Wales line ONLY) - Shrewsbury - Wolverhampton - Birmingham - Nuneaton (this is the shortest route)

So - no - you can't go through Crewe at all, so you can't use the WAG express through the Welsh Marches.

dzug2

Well you could get the WAG to Abergavenny, get the next train to Hereford and carry on through Worcester if you just want a ride on it

tony_mac

Established Member
The only thing is that tickets to Ireland don't have a route in the routeing guide.

While you would expect them to be the same as to the port, there isn't a guarantee of that. As I recall, for instance, Swindon to Dublin can be done via London, but Swindon to Holyhead can't.

I guess the best thing to do is ask when you buy the ticket and get reservations for whatever journey they will sell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.