• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flexi compensation/refund in event of distruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

td97

Established Member
If a train cancellation has prevented me from travelling when I am a Flexi ticket holder, how does compensation or a refund work?
I didn't leave the house so haven't activated a ticket.
Northern is the TOC in question.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you do not end up using the ticket, then a refund would presumably be made on a pro-rata basis.

The Flexi Season ticket offers 8 days of travel in 28 days – any time between two stations. It’s a flexible solution that’s perfect if you need to travel to work a couple of times a week at peak time Monday to Friday. Commute your way. Choose WFH Wednesdays, choose face-to-face Fridays.
Presumably you are saying you may now only be wanting to travel 7 days in 28 days as a result?

If so I think you should be entitled to 1/8th of the original price back.

td97

Established Member
Yes that's my thinking.
Obviously I still have that ticket so would be able to use it again, say on an off peak journey I wouldn't normally use the Flexi for.
I've contacted Northern so will wait and see.

Last edited:

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/tickets/flexi states:

Can you get a refund on a Flexi Season ticket?

A refund is calculated from the difference between the price you paid for the Flexi Season and the cost of an Anytime return ticket for each day you have used, minus an administration fee of no more than £10. If you only have one or two journeys left on your Flexi Season you may find that no refund is available.

pemma

Veteran Member

That applies if you take ill or decide you no longer need to travel after purchasing a ticket. There's different rules and laws applying if a company is unable to offer the service the customer paid for. A customer is not obliged to accept the offer of an alternative service (e.g. a later train) if it's unsuitable for them.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
That applies if you take ill or decide you no longer need to travel after purchasing a ticket. There's different rules and laws applying if a company is unable to offer the service the customer paid for. A customer is not obliged to accept the offer of an alternative service (e.g. a later train) if it's unsuitable for them.
Do you have a valid ticket for that day if you haven't activated it?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Knowledgebase suggests that Delay Repay would only be payable if you'd activated a day's travel, and it's based on a Flexi Season being equivalent to 16 Single journeys.

A partial refund, meanwhile, would be calculated based on Anytime (Day) Return fares plus an Admin Fee of up to £10.

Picking a random example:

A Flexi Season between Barnsley and Sheffield is £52.50, and the Anytime Day Return is £7.50.

If you use 7 days out of 8, that comes to £52.50, so no refund would be due.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Knowledgebase suggests that Delay Repay would only be payable if you'd activated a day's travel, and it's based on a Flexi Season being equivalent to 16 Single journeys.

A partial refund, meanwhile, would be calculated based on Anytime (Day) Return fares plus an Admin Fee of up to £10.

Picking a random example:

A Flexi Season between Barnsley and Sheffield is £52.50, and the Anytime Day Return is £7.50.

If you use 7 days out of 8, that comes to £52.50, so no refund would be due.
Although whether that policy is lawful is another question. Of course it's highly unlikely that it would be worth anyone's time to try and challenge it.

td97

Established Member
Very impressed with Northern customer service, they got back to me yesterday (within 24 hours of sending the complaint) with an offer of a complimentary pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.