• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flight late arriving - advanced ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Coming back on topic for just a moment.

I once did have TPE Airport Advance tickets and my flight was late back to Manchester Airport. It was literally the case the the Airport Rail Station endorsed the ticket for the next available service, after reference to the Airport Arrivals screen they had at the booking office window for this purpose. Very quick and easy, and verifiable there and then, without the airlines having to do anything.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Or Northolt, which does not have it applied!

My favourite airport to fly from, although I've not done so for a while.

Planes that fly when you are ready for them to go are definitely the way forward!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Coming back on topic for just a moment.

I once did have TPE Airport Advance tickets and my flight was late back to Manchester Airport. It was literally the case the the Airport Rail Station endorsed the ticket for the next available service, after reference to the Airport Arrivals screen they had at the booking office window for this purpose. Very quick and easy, and verifiable there and then, without the airlines having to do anything.

A simple common sense approach to doing things.

Off topic, but almost relevant, I see that South Eastern has launched its very own customer service operation via Twitter. Given how successful it has been for FCC, this does show that some operators are aware of positive PR.

Now, it's yet to be established if SET will charge a small fee for replies to any queries relating to HS1. :)

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Off topic, but almost relevant, I see that South Eastern has launched its very own customer service operation via Twitter. Given how successful it has been for FCC, this does show that some operators are aware of positive PR.

Now, it's yet to be established if SET will charge a small fee for replies to any queries relating to HS1. :)

Initial reactions appear not to be entirely positive. There's no interaction - it's just a bot pumping out (too many) delay announcements, not all of which make sense. Quite a few of people I read on twitter (or those they link to) aren't happy with it -the impression being given is that for real information (and real human contact) you have to dial the 0845 number at the top of their twitter page

The first conversation I found about this

c2c Rail
c2c_Rail c2c Rail
We welcome #Southeastern to Twitter. @Se_Railway
8 Sep
Lara Ruffle
lararuffle Lara Ruffle
@
@c2c_Rail Why? It isn't a person ran feed. It is an automated bot which spouts crap. @Se_Railway
14 hours ago
in reply to ↑
c2c Rail
@c2c_Rail c2c Rail
@lararuffle We weren't aware of how Southeastern would use their account. Their presence in the Twittersphere is at least a step forward.
14 hours ago via HootSuite Favorite Retweet Reply
replies ↓
Lara Ruffle
lararuffle Lara Ruffle
@
.@c2c_Rail <<< A rail company that knows how to run nice clean, speedy trains. @se_railway should take note. #southeastern
14 hours ago
Lara Ruffle
lararuffle Lara Ruffle
@
@c2c_Rail What a good positive statement at 11pm. :). #southeastern @se_railway

jon0844

Veteran Member
That's rubbish if it's only spouting info from a feed. It needs real engagement, which can usually turn around angry customers who want information. If they get information (and explanations) then they usually calm down.

We all know some operational decisions may sound stupid, but are 'for the greater good' and it's a good way to explain to people who don't understand (and shouldn't be expected to).

So, SET - #fail!

jetice

This sort of thing tends to get me steamed up. By travelling on a later train you are not actually costing the TOC any money. If the reason you are late is beyond your control (not due to you sleeping through your alarm) then you shouldn't be penalised. All you should have to do is provide evidence that your flight was delayed.

Of course if you are late for a flight due to a late train you're unlikely to get much change out of the airline either.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you on this one! An Advance ticket is a quota ticket ..a certain amount per train and if you travel on a train you are not booked on how is that fair to the person sat next to you who wanted an advance but couldn't get one due to the quota being used up? Also it is unfair to the person who wanted an advance on the train you should have been on but had to pay more because the quota was used up. It is made perfectly clear what the terms of the ticket are...you only use it if you can be sure to catch the trains in question. If you are unsure buy the next ticket that is flexible enough to fit your requirements. If a train delays you then you are covered to get next available train. If a flight etc delays you..claim on your insurance.
I recently travelled by a Stena Line ship.

A frequent card traveller (Gold) had failed to book a seat in the premier class.

This comes free to them with the card status but everyone else pays.

Anyway this guy had not booked a seat and the premier lounge was fully booked. When told this he started to make an enormous fuss about being refused access to the premier lounge. He was demanding this and that and slagging the lounge staff off something rotten. He made such a fuss that the lounge staff decided NOT to let him enter even though it turned out later that they could have made a space for him.

He stood outside the lounge access door and basically berated the stewardess every time she came out of the lounge, or someone entering let him in, and he argued vehemently with increasingly senior members of the customer services team outside when not doing this. The premise being that he was "entitled" to the lounge access irrespective of whether it was full or not by virtue of being a Gold Card holder - even though access is restricted by capacity and everyone must book even Gold Card holders.

Anyway, my lady travelling companion having listenened to this guy berating the young girl went up to this chap and told him to leave her alone and to stop as he was now disturbing other lounge passengers - much to the pleasure of the Customer Services Manager who by now had been summoned along with the Chief Purser.

On hearing this guy stating that he was going to complain about the attitude of the staff and effectively suggesting that she should not become involved, she turned to the Chief Purser and requested that the man be removed for causing a disturbance, and that SHE would be contacting Stena Line to complain about the man, demanding his name from him by then, about his aggressive and unwarrranted behaviour and his harrassment of a young girl steward.

The Chier Purser took her to one side and siad, "Thank you madam, It would be very helpful if we can take your details as an independent witness - and by the way said gentleman has now been completely permanently excluded from all Stena Line ships as of now" :D

Some organisations do have the balls to deal with agressive passengers.

Brilliant! How I wish management was there to witness some of the things that have happened to me on the trains.....the way that passengers twist things around when the write in to complain about something that has happened when I have quite rightly done something they disagree with...because they have not got their own way they write in and complain about my 'attitude' when 9 times out of 10 I have bitten my tongue trying to be nice when they have given me the height of abuse......what might the 'gentleman' have written about the stewardess if what happened has not been witnessed ..... well done to the passenger who was willing to stand up for the staff!
Twas generally always almost the case under BR too I am afraid.

Unlike today, the sewer dwelling scum that go under the title of journalists were always on the lookout to have a crack at a Nationalised industry and BR was right up there.

I personally have known an Area Manager to apologise publicly to the media over an incident - the usual disabled, badly treated, you know the vein - before the outcome of the investigation which actually resulted in the person concerned being Prosecuted for public order and drunkeness offences.

Naturally the scum never published that bit.

As a Manager I operated an absolutely no tolerance policy when it came to abuse or agressive behaviour against my staff, helped by very good relationships with both the Civil and the BT Police. Its amazing what goodwill can be generated by encouraging them to call in for a cup of tea when around the station. ;) :D

Well done Old Timer....you sound like a nice guy!

Flamingo

Established Member
I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you on this one! An Advance ticket is a quota ticket ..a certain amount per train and if you travel on a train you are not booked on how is that fair to the person sat next to you who wanted an advance but couldn't get one due to the quota being used up? Also it is unfair to the person who wanted an advance on the train you should have been on but had to pay more because the quota was used up. It is made perfectly clear what the terms of the ticket are...you only use it if you can be sure to catch the trains in question. If you are unsure buy the next ticket that is flexible enough to fit your requirements. If a train delays you then you are covered to get next available train. If a flight etc delays you..claim on your insurance.
Spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.