• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flooding at Dalmarnock Station, 13 May, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottDarg

ScotRail has posted a couple of images of flooding at Dalmarnock Station on the Argyle Line caused by the heavy rain today. The incident was initially reported as a signal fault which was updated to flooding after engineers arrived on site.

Trains via Glasgow Central Low Level are currently suspended with most Hamilton Circle trains being diverted to the High Level.

C_tz87YWAAAS4cS.jpg

C_txEMwXkAAbt3R.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
That's well above the level of the rail head. Has it really been raining that much, or is it a case where the drainage system hasn't been doing its job properly?

ScottDarg

That's well above the level of the rail head. Has it really been raining that much, or is it a case where the drainage system hasn't been doing its job properly?

Probably a bit of both. It's been pretty heavy and consistent most of today where I am so I'd imagine it's been near enough the same there. ScotRail are attributing it to a "torrential downpour" so that's the official given reason at the moment.

Last edited:

arob

it was torrential prior to this flooding and that's after a couple of weeks of dry weather. There's a lot of flooding in the surrounding area and near by river Clyde is very high

ScottDarg

We don't want another 156478;);)

That image was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the second pic :lol:

Quick question: Someone on another board about this raised the point that they spent £2.8m redeveloping the station for the 2014 Commonwealth Games. There was at least one reported incident of the station flooding before then, in 2012.

Would it not have made sense to do something to improve drainage then or would it have cost more and caused more disruption than a few hours of flooding would?

Strathclyder

Established Member
Refurbished 318265 is the unit trapped at Dalmarnock. Water doesn't seem to be too high on it, so the damage should be minimal:

Attachments

• 18403527_1710928748922799_2423627869556810019_n.jpg
    18403527_1710928748922799_2423627869556810019_n.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 149

ScottDarg

Refurbished 318265 is the unit trapped at Dalmarnock. Water doesn't seem to be too high on it, so the damage should be minimal:

Came back from refurbishment near enough this time last year. Good to see that the water seemingly didn't go much higher than the bottom of the battery boxes :)

Last edited:

mcmad

Would it not have made sense to do something to improve drainage then or would it have cost more and caused more disruption than a few hours of flooding would?

The pumping was upgraded as part of the station refurb works but a mornings constant downpour after a couple of weeks of hot dry weather has obviously overwhelmed it.

ScottDarg

The pumping was upgraded as part of the station refurb works but a mornings constant downpour after a couple of weeks of hot dry weather has obviously overwhelmed it.

I see, makes sense that they would have done something to assist with it if flooding was known to happen but obviously nothing works 100% of the time. Thanks :)

Last edited:

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I thought it was a bit odd when we stopped at the old Glasgow Cross station for a few minutes before we started to move again. On the up side, if gave me a chance to try and see through the window what is still left of the old station even though it was pretty dark...

Status
Not open for further replies.