• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Florida’s New High Speed Train - Brightline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envoy

Established Member
Looks like the first phase of Florida’s new high speed train line is about to get up and running.

www.gobrightline.com

Welcome to the new intercity express train service that connects Southeast Florida in about an hour.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Here is a lesson that the UK railway ought to learn:
"Giant windows for a great view from every seat"

MarcVD

You may also note, from pictures that were published on the internet before, that in this train, seats are perfectly aligned with windows.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

55z

Lots of issues before Brightline starts running. Not least is legal challenges on safety issues on grade (level) crossings and fencing. Not sure how far the legal issues have got. The first part to open is using the Florida East Coast Railroad track hopefully this summer. The really high speed section is brand new to Orlando. Hopefully this privately funded scheme gets going.

me123

Established Member
Take the word "high speed" with a pinch of salt. Absolute speed on the initial section not to exceed the dizzy heights of 79mph. The new section will reach 125mph, but only on the final stretch from Cocoa to Orlando.

LTJ87

Brightline has acquired the rights to build a new line from Las Vegas to Southern California. They claim that construction of the first section to Victorville will start next year and will open in 2022.

http://press.gobrightline.com/showPressRelease/100055086

Today Brightline, the nation's only privately owned, operated and maintained express intercity passenger rail system, announced its expansion to the West Coast with the acquisition of XpressWest, a high-speed passenger rail project with rights to develop a federally approved corridor connecting Southern California and Las Vegas, Nevada. This project would be only the second privately funded express intercity passenger rail in the United States, following Brightline's Florida rail corridor.

Groningen

Established Member
The route to Victorville will not be the problem. It is crossing the Cajon Pass. I do not think in the mountains something extra can be done in speed. A tunnel underneath will be expensive.

philabos

Los Angeles is 84 miles from Victorville. You are already beyond Cajon at that point and less than 3 hours from Las Vegas drive time. Hard to imagine many people pulling off the highway by the time they pass Victorville.

AM9

Veteran Member
Here is a lesson that the UK railway ought to learn:
"Giant windows for a great view from every seat"
There are much more important things to fix on UK railways before addressing frippery like window views, - for passengers who can't even get a seat.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
There are much more important things to fix on UK railways before addressing frippery like window views, - for passengers who can't even get a seat.
It is one of a huge number of factors. This morning's damning report on the timetable fiasco indicates (I gather from the news reports) amongst other things that the Railway consistently fails to prioritise passengers first, preferring internal things like operational convenience and logistics. We see that over and over again, not just at times of major change, but in rolling stock design, in ticketing, stopping patterns, train lengths; the list goes on. I hate to cross refer back to it, but 6 hours on a failed train? That ONLY arises because other things besides the passengers take priority.

Drifting way off topic, though......

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It is one of a huge number of factors. This morning's damning report on the timetable fiasco indicates (I gather from the news reports) amongst other things that the Railway consistently fails to prioritise passengers first, preferring internal things like operational convenience and logistics. We see that over and over again, not just at times of major change, but in rolling stock design, in ticketing, stopping patterns, train lengths; the list goes on. I hate to cross refer back to it, but 6 hours on a failed train? That ONLY arises because other things besides the passengers take priority.

Add to that list, never-ending engineering works.

jon0844

Veteran Member

I rarely look out the window on many journeys (I'm glued to my phone or laptop) although it is useful to see what stop you're at I suppose. I doubt many people care these days. The issue is putting those who want a view in the right seats and I'll confess that I'll likely chose a window seat even if I don't need it.

AM9

Veteran Member

This new US version of a high speed line has none of the the constraints of European or even UK rail, specifically in spacial terms. It does have to lure people away from their cars and air travel to succeed so it's offereing would be almost laughable in terms of speed (and capacity if scaled down to the UK loading gauge).

Groningen

Established Member

Skymonster

Established Member
This new proposal is for [initially] just Las Vegas to Victorville. That's pretty crazy IMO - for anyone travelling from Southern California to Las Vegas the difficult part of the journey is often the trip out from downtown LA through the Inland Empire and up the Cajon/I15 - it can take two hours when the traffic is good, much longer if there are problems. I've done it many times and I always feel that once I'm at Victorville / Barstow the hard part is over. And there really isn't that much in Victorville and the High Desert. Who's going to change from road to rail at Victorville - not many I'd think.

Groningen

Established Member
What do they think?! That people drive to Victorville, park their car and travel by train to Las Vegas. Even Americans need to work so maybe only on Friday, Saturday and Sunday will it really busy.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Is that Victorville served by LA-METRO-trains? (but if yes, likely only for mo-fr Peaks and in peak-drection only).
Have done both the then AmTrak and Greyhound LAX-VEGas (not to go for gambol, as they say there, but rather the cheap buffets) the landcape is just plain boring after the pass.

philabos

Is that Victorville served by LA-METRO-trains? (but if yes, likely only for mo-fr Peaks and in peak-drection only).
Have done both the then AmTrak and Greyhound LAX-VEGas (not to go for gambol, as they say there, but rather the cheap buffets) the landcape is just plain boring after the pass.
The closest Metrolink station to Victorville is San Bernardino, 40 miles distant.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Victorville has the Southwest Chief, scheduled to roll through towards LA at 0424, reaching LA Union at 0800! the return is 1800-2055 (this, a mere 121 miles according to the timetable)(which is about twice the "as the crow flies" distance)

philabos

Victorville has the Southwest Chief, scheduled to roll through towards LA at 0424, reaching LA Union at 0800! the return is 1800-2055 (this, a mere 121 miles according to the timetable)(which is about twice the "as the crow flies" distance)

The only passenger train which traverses Cajon. Between Victorville and San Bernardino it averages about 30mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.