• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flyer Talk Forums - A Bit Elitist?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Has Eurostar got a Lounge and if so is it up to BA Standards ?
Yes, but it's rather pokey and only has a limited selection of food and drink. Think of your average Aspire (ha) lounge and you're about there.

The big benefit you get with Eurostar status is being able to turn up later and use Business Premier security, which has a far shorter queue. But, as with the airlines, you have to be doing a serious amount of Eurostar travelling - 32 return trips or £2400 of spending, each year - to earn and retain it.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
BR did have one, of a sort. It was called “Travel Key” but IIRC fell foul of some tax issues and was discontinued.
BR Intercity had one right at the end, linked into the Delta frequent flyer scheme.
But no sooner was it launched than the privatisation process started with Intercity broken up, so it was canned along with much else.
Virgin later had a scheme tied to the Virgin Atlantic FF scheme, but from memory you could clock up rail miles to spend on flights but not spend them on rail.

Pushpit

I write as corporate-wage-slave, the BA ambassador on the above mentioned forum. We now have a thread all about you and your lovely knitwear.

I think the feeling is, perhaps worded slightly differently, is that we have an awful lot in common, not least quite a few shared members and some great ideas for saving money, whether splitting tickets or using upgrade mechanisms. And being so terribly middle class then we have the merit of at least being generally quite well house-trained, so terribly useful for those never ending Elizabeth Line journeys.

So on behalf of all of us on the British Airways Forum on Flyertalk, fraternal greetings for Christmas, and may Santa bring you some lovely locomotives in 2024. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am sorry to see some people are not happy at the thread title but it is important to remember that the views of any individual poster are not representative of the wider group and this goes for any online community; we have over 9000 active members in the last month, with around half of those active within the last 24 hours, and the range of views within the community is going to be very wide!

The question I have is what @Butts is up to over there? If you aren't sure what his username is, then the clues should be posting about a combination of opportunities to smoke while travelling, and obtaining as many freebies as possible while travelling Business Class, and complaining if any of the hosts are being stingy. ;)
:lol:

I don't have any spare time to use other forums these days, but some of the people I travel with are on FlyerTalk; therefore it has cropped up in conversation; when it comes to getting the best deals, I take their advice and do what I am told :D

If you want to hold a joint Railforums/Flyertalk meet-up/meal, let me know and we can arrange that...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That venue is doing nothing to dispel accusations of elitism!

(Next Forum meal at Claridges, anyone?)

Butts

Veteran Member
I am sorry to see some people are not happy at the thread title but it is important to remember that the views of any individual poster are not representative of the wider group and this goes for any online community; we have over 9000 active members in the last month, with around half of those active within the last 24 hours, and the range of views within the community is going to be very wide!

The question I have is what @Butts is up to over there? If you aren't sure what his username is, then the clues should be posting about a combination of opportunities to smoke while travelling, and obtaining as many freebies as possible while travelling Business Class, and complaining if any of the hosts are being stingy. ;)
:lol:

I don't have any spare time to use other forums these days, but some of the people I travel with are on FlyerTalk; therefore it has cropped up in conversation; when it comes to getting the best deals, I take their advice and do what I am told :D

If you want to hold a joint Railforums/Flyertalk meet-up/meal, let me know and we can arrange that...

I don't hide behind a "nom de guerre" :E

Can I just add that I have been subjected to disciplinary action for less insidious "hatchet jobs" on RailUK Forums. Is there not a code of omerta on here ?

"Super Grass" Yorkie can you refer yourself for admonishment to the RailUK Forums Supreme Soviet ;)

I can't claim you comments are libelous as they are largely accurate :lol:

ps... there's a lot of derogatory "bobble hat" remarks over on FT !!

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I am a member of FlyerTalk with >11000 posts but dont post quite as much these days. In addition, I tend to frequent the Delta airlines section rather than BA. Most of my lifetime flights have been on Delta.

As has been remarked on, the DYKWIA sections are absolutely hilarious. I will post one here shortly just for fun.

QUOTED from Flyertalk -------
I fly paid First. I prefer, depending on the aircraft, either row 1 or row 2. If people ask I will try to be nice and switch. However I get annoyed when they have already settled in. "Oh, you wouldn't mind switchin' would you?"

Two weeks ago I had a woman do this. When I boarded she was sitting in my seat, 2B. Never knowing what kind of nut I'm going to run into I asked the FA to check on it and said I wouldn't mind moving if it was to another aisle seat. I overheard the conversation as I stood in the galley and the woman was like, "Oh we're flying together" (implying with the guy next to her), "I'm sure the other passenger wouldn't mind changing", "I'm already settled here and don't want to hold up the boarding process moving my things." Bonus points to the FA who smiled and asked her for her boarding pass when the woman responded that her seat was "oh over there." Of course the boarding pass was tucked away in her stowed carryon. This raised even more suspicion so the FA said that she really needed to see the boarding pass. The woman gets up, pulls her carryon out, opens an exterior pocket, pulls out a bunch of magazines and locates her boarding pass. Seat 7D. The FA nicely told her that she would have to sit in her assigned seat. After she settled in in her assigned seat I went to mine. The guy next to me in 2A said, "Can you believe her? She told the FA we were traveling together. I have no idea who she is!"

And a little more context... she was a high heel wearin', skinny jean struttin, overly tanned bleach blonde in her 50s... probably cigarette smokin' and Bud drinkin' too.