• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flying into Heathrow - a few observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

daccer

I flew into Heathrow this week after being out of the country for awhile and having some time free in London I bought a travelcard and did a little bit of bashing around London to see some of the newer railway developments. make the following observations as a layman looking in from the outside.

Used Heathrow Connect rather than Express - about half the price, took a bit longer but not sure why more people don't use it from the Airport. It was rush hour but the train coped - four car only so some standing.

I was travelling in both rush hour periods and the both the Underground and National Rail seemed to cope a lot better than what I remembered. The S class stock does seem to really help with this - the lack of compartment does seem to at least give an illusion of more room.

Looked at St Pancras, Kings Cross, Blackfriars and London Bridge - investment has been massive. I think London Bridge will be stunning when done. The older bits do look very aged when compared to the modern replacement. Amazing to see the Railways being invested in so widely. I noticed all the main stations were busy all day and it seemed a lot of the traffic were enjoying the facilities so the attempts to create 'destination' stations is paying off.

waterloo and Liverpool St were both as I remembered - chaotic and massive. Real difference there is the quality of the rolling stock. The 70 and 80's stock does now look its age and in some placed the infrastructure does seem to have advanced ahead of the stock.

Minor point - during the whole day I barely saw a discarded ticket - barriers and Oyster seemed to have taken care of the 'orange' curse.

Use the West London Line up to Willesden Junction from Clapham - again a massive improvement - got to say Willesden Junction is a maze for such a minor station.

On the 7pm train out of St Pancras - full and standing - the railways are booming that's for sure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Heathrow Connect is cheaper than Express, but still costs more than the Piccadilly line.

Did most of the passengers board after it came out into the sunlight at Hayes (and hence a regular FGW service)?

Status
Not open for further replies.