• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flying Scotsman future

DarloRich

Veteran Member
FS has been on display at Shildon since xmas and with the support contract with Ian Riley running out questions have been asked about the future. Today NRM issued a press release:

NRM:
After travelling 10,000 miles across the UK as part of its centenary celebrations, world famous locomotive Flying Scotsman will spend the first part of 2024 on static display at the National Railway Museum in York before resuming rail tours later in the year.

From Friday 26 January until the summer, the locomotive will be displayed in the Flying Scotsman Story exhibition at the National Railway Museum. Visitors will be able to see the locomotive for free and access the footplate via an accessible ramp.

Flying Scotsman will then travel to Locomotion in Shildon where it will go on public display.

A competitive tender to appoint the next custodian for Flying Scotsman to operate and maintain the locomotive will launch with an Invitation to Tender (ITT) published online in the coming weeks. The tender is expected to be awarded in late spring 2024.

Once the custodian is appointed, Flying Scotsman will resume a programme of rail tours in the autumn. It is expected that the locomotive will visit heritage railways and will remain main line operational.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member

Lost property

Out of interest, with the FS having the same iconic status as the Lanc / Spitfire / Hurricane ( the Lanc in particular) would it be reasonable to assume the FS will be kept operational....at all costs, this being the important bit, or, will it simply be gracefully retired ?

Viper

I expect that'll be D200 disappearing for a while.
Why would it disappear?

Out of interest, with the FS having the same iconic status as the Lanc / Spitfire / Hurricane ( the Lanc in particular) would it be reasonable to assume the FS will be kept operational....at all costs, this being the important bit, or, will it simply be gracefully retired ?

I'm not sure that logic would be automatically transferred. There are other iconic locomotives which have not been kept in running order so I don't see why FS would be any different to those.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I'm not sure that logic would be automatically transferred. There are other iconic locomotives which have not been kept in running order so I don't see why FS would be any different to those.
Because, other than Thomas, it is probably the only loco the vast majority of people could name. If nearly 40,000 went to Shildon over Christmas to see it in light steam that proves just how popular FS is with the general public despite the fact quite a lot of enthusiasts dislike that for some reason.

Spartacus

Established Member
Why would it disappear?

It's currently occupying the loco space in the Flying Scotsman exhibit (or was the other week anyway) with no space in the Great Hall, which is currently the only area open.

Viper

Because, other than Thomas, it is probably the only loco the vast majority of people could name. If nearly 40,000 went to Shildon over Christmas to see it in light steam that proves just how popular FS is with the general public despite the fact quite a lot of enthusiasts dislike that for some reason.
You would have thought that Mallard would have been kept operational for similar reasons. I wonder if FS is more infamous due to the regular controversy around it's ownership and cost of refurbishment?
It's currently occupying the loco space in the Flying Scotsman exhibit (or was the other week anyway) with no space in the Great Hall, which is currently the only area open.
Understood, I got confused and thought you were referring to the loco that's currently on the turntable.

Railway ben

I imagine the 55 would go outside like it did back in April last year. Anyway Scotsman is in the yard at the NRM as of now 19.1.24

Geordiepedal

Ever heard of Mallard? Arguably more famous than FS.

Darandio

Established Member
Ever heard of Mallard? Arguably more famous than FS.

If you asked a room full of random (non-enthusiast) people to name a famous steam locomotive I bet far more would suggest either Flying Scotsman (or Thomas even) over Mallard. I'd be equally confident if you asked another room which steam locomotive holds the speed record they'd also automatically shout out FS.

MP33

Is one thing that will force the Flying Scotsman into retirement, the actions of some when it is operating. Again a moronic minority will spoil it for everyone.

xotGD

Established Member
Is one thing that will force the Flying Scotsman into retirement, the actions of some when it is operating. Again a moronic minority will spoil it for everyone.
Run it with a false name and number of another A3 and people won't bother turning out for it.

Enthusiast

Run it with a false name and number of another A3 and people won't bother turning out for it.
I bet they do. Soshul Meeja will be full of messages such as "Don't be fooled! The engine No 60061 calling itself Pretty Polly is really the "Flying Scotsman!"

james_the_xv

NRM posted on Social Media today that the Scotsman has been taken off public display 'due to the process of finding a new custodian'.

Anyone have any insight as to who or why? One would imagine inspections need to take place if a new custodian takes her on.