• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Food/snacks/drinks you miss and would like back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
Unfortunately McCowans (the original makers of 'Highland Toffee', 'Wham Bars' and 'Irn Bru Bars') went out of business over a decade ago, and their factory, located next to the football ground at Stenhousemuir FC, has since been demolished. Fairly sure the brand names were subsequently bought up by Tangerine Confectionery Ltd. , a Blackpool-based firm.
Such a huge shame!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
@D1511 It was Top Deck Lager and Lime fizzy drink I was referring to. They also did Cider Shandy. It felt quite manly as a 10yr old drinking it even though they were probably only 1% alcohol.
6F4A4397-2B31-42E0-BEFA-8FBA452C8C79.jpeg
Photo.The Can Museum.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Why can't I buy Scotch (or mutton) pies in Penzance any longer? Morrison's used to sell them, and I'd always been able to find them at bakeries when I lived in London. Our most prolific bakery chain Warren's sells thousands of their noisome pasties everyday to those without tastebuds, but no Scotch pies. Actually, it's probably for the best they don't, but won't someone provide for my needs? :smile:

birchesgreen

Established Member
@D1511 It was Top Deck Lager and Lime fizzy drink I was referring to. They also did Cider Shandy. It felt quite manly as a 10yr old drinking it even though they were probably only 1% alcohol.
View attachment 145086
Photo.The Can Museum.
Great times, drinking lager and lime at school so you felt tough. Of course nowadays you'd probably be suspended and your parents reported to the SS.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Great times, drinking lager and lime at school so you felt tough. Of course nowadays you'd probably be suspended and your parents reported to the SS.
We also had an ice cream van that appeared in the school car park at lunchtimes. Amongst its wares were Pina Colada and Mojito flavour ice lollies.

D1511

View attachment 145086
Photo.The Can Museum.
Apologies, I thought you were referring to two separate items! I actually remember that stuff too! Very manly to be seen drinking that at the school disco! :D

Such a huge shame!!
So day dentists all over Britain! I am quite sure Highland toffees and 'dainties' (which were the individual versions wrapped in green white and red wrappers) must surely have been responsible for extracting more fillings than any other item of confectionery ever made! :D

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Why can't I buy Scotch (or mutton) pies in Penzance any longer? Morrison's used to sell them, and I'd always been able to find them at bakeries when I lived in London. Our most prolific bakery chain Warren's sells thousands of their noisome pasties everyday to those without tastebuds, but no Scotch pies. Actually, it's probably for the best they don't, but won't someone provide for my needs? :smile:
A complaint that my dad used to regularly make was that Scotch pies didn't contain mutton at all and hadn't done for years. Any I buy these days are made with beef.

Edited to add that it's perhaps a regional thing. This butcher still uses mutton, apparently:

Amos

Farmfoods used to sell frozen Scotch pies by bells which weren’t too bad, though the nearest one to Penzance is in Camborne.

ChrisC

Established Member
So say dentists all over Britain! I am quite sure Highland toffees and 'dainties' (which were the individual versions wrapped in green white and red wrappers) must surely have been responsible for extracting more fillings than any other item of confectionery ever made! :D
My dentist always said it was Thorntons Special Toffee that was responsible for extracting the most fillings.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
We also had an ice cream van that appeared in the school car park at lunchtimes. Amongst its wares were Pina Colada and Mojito flavour ice lollies.
When I lived in Scotland (as an adult) I was slightly uneasy about the fact the local ice cream van that went round the housing estates kept a stock of cigarettes on a high shelf that would be sold to the 'right' kids.

(Sorry. Off thread. I definitely wouldn't like those days or practices back.)

Ladder23

Established Member
When I lived in Scotland (as an adult) I was slightly uneasy about the fact the local ice cream van that went round the housing estates kept a stock of cigarettes on a high shelf that would be sold to the 'right' kids.

(Sorry. Off thread. I definitely wouldn't like those days or practices back.)
That reminds me, when I visited Scotland regularly to visit family, Falkirk to be specific. The ice cream van that visited that area was to date the best I’ve ever used, I used to crave it when I left to go back home! If memory serves correctly I’m certain they also sold cigarettes! maybe more…

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Sugar tax forced Irn-Bru to reduce sugar, but they brought out Irn-Bru 1901 sometime later (wonder if this is the original pre-sugar tax version). Cadbury chocolate bars also got smaller than previously, and I think the recipe got changed because of the Mondelez takeover several years ago.

You probably have noticed that in many food products, they usually say “No artificial flavours, No artificial preservatives, No artificial colours”, usually with an obligatory tick beside each sentence. No wonder why our foods are not as tasty as they used to.

Businessmen annoys us all!
The sugar tax didn't "force" anything, it was up to the manufacturers whether they accepted the increased retail price or changed their recipe. I only ever drank the sugar-free versions of soft drinks anyway, so in some ways the sugar tax had some positives for me- I'm no longer restricted to diet coke in restaurants as they're more likely to have other flavours in their diet/light/zero form than they used to.

My grumble about Lucozade earlier was because it completely defeated the purpose of that product existing at all. I'd be happy to pay the extra 10-15 pence to have an emergency drink that will stop me from passing out or dying.

The "sugar tax" was a bad policy implemented poorly, but the manufacturers made it worse with their daft interpretation of the policy.

StKeverne1497

No idea, as I've got older I've developed an aversion to overly sweet, synthetic tasting foods, so I've never looked for it. I was just stunned that someone who remembers the hell of 1970s desserts could think anything other than butterscotch was the worst flavour of angel delight :lol:
I was misremembering - I said caramel, meant butterscotch. Absolutely correct. And for some reason it's one of the few flavours still available.

The current recipe isn't as full of odd chemicals as the 1970s recipe - it's basically cornflour, emulsifier and flavouring (he says, without a packet to check) and half a pint of whatever milk you prefer. I'd probably put Angel Delight (but not the butterscotch variety) in the "not as unhealthy as it looks" category.

Lucozade should only be served to sick children, poured from a glass bottle wrapped in yellow cellophane. Change my view ;)
When I was 11 or 12 I had appendicitis, rushed into hospital, thing basically burst as they were taking it out (so I was told), still have a four-inch scar (I think they do it keyhole these days).

In the cabinet beside my bed was a barely-opened bottle of Lucozade (yes, glass and celophane) and as I hadn't eaten for about 48 hours I thought that rather than waiting to see what the previous occupant of the bed had ordered for lunch (at that hospital in those days the catering staff would come around after tea and ask you to tick some boxes for the food you wanted the next day - tough luck on the next guy if you ordered cauliflower cheese and were then discharged), I'd take a half a glass. After all, Lucozade was a "treat" - in the sense that we only had it at home if someone needed perking up, and I definitely needed perking up given that although I was told to be off school for a fortnight, my dad had promised to pop up to school and fetch me some work to do!

Worst mistake I had ever made up until that point. Fizzy pop on an empty stomach and an empty intestine with stitches. I was doubled-up in agony for about half an hour.

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Regarding Taylor's crisps, it's a rebrand of what was Mackie's crisps, so there may still be some shops out there that have the older stock. It's exactly the same product, but different packaging.
Cheers for the heads-up! Had wondered where they disappeared to. Their Sea Salted flavour is among the best crisps going imho. Lidl's was the last place I've seen them, in their 'when it's gone, it's gone' section' a few weeks ago. Will be keeping an eye out for the rebranded Taylor's ones going forward!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Cheers for the heads-up! Had wondered where they disappeared to. Their Sea Salted flavour is among the best crisps going imho. Lidl's was the last place I've seen them, in their 'when it's gone, it's gone' section' a few weeks ago. Will be keeping an eye out for the rebranded Taylor's ones going forward!
My main gripe about Mackie's (as was), was that I could no longer get the Haggis & Black Pepper variety. It's showing on the Taylor's website now, but apparently it's a seasonal product - presumably it will appear some time before January 25th. If you've got a Scotmid nearby they'll likely stock Mackie's/Taylor's.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I was never a liker of sweets / toffees / chocolate etc. - I prefer fresh fruit. One thing I miss is "real" russet apples; they could look rather "rough" but they were very tasty. Nominally they still exist, but seem to be bred to look "prettier" - but now taste very bland.

Strathclyder

Established Member
My main gripe about Mackie's (as was), was that I could no longer get the Haggis & Black Pepper variety. It's showing on the Taylor's website now, but apparently it's a seasonal product - presumably it will appear some time before January 25th. If you've got a Scotmid nearby they'll likely stock Mackie's/Taylor's.
The closest Scotmid to me (as the crow flies) is about a mile and a half away in Baljaffray or a near 40 minute walk. I may stop in on my way home on the No. 17 bus sometime soon to see if I can pick up a bag or two of Taylor's/Mackie's.

Trackman

Established Member
Ours did ciderkin flavoured ones too!!
My dentist always said it was Thorntons Special Toffee that was responsible for extracting the most fillings.
I could name a few other products as well .. I'm old and more and warey these days though!
5% ABV Budweiser.
And 5.0% Becks.
It was Top Deck Lager and Lime fizzy drink I was referring to. They also did Cider Shandy. It felt quite manly as a 10yr old drinking it even though they were probably only 1% alcohol.

Photo.The Can Museum.
I bought a can of Shandy Bass home once and my mum went ballistic thinking it was Bass Beer
Salt and Vinegar Quavers. Were brought back and then taken away again.
I was going to say Golden Wonder sausage and tomato crisps, but someone has rebooted the brand and that flavour. Need to investigate.

StKeverne1497

I was never a liker of sweets / toffees / chocolate etc. - I prefer fresh fruit. One thing I miss is "real" russet apples; they could look rather "rough" but they were very tasty. Nominally they still exist, but seem to be bred to look "prettier" - but now taste very bland.
Or it could be that rather than fresh-off-the-tree, they've been stored a while. Russet is my dad's favourite and I always got the impression that they don't store terribly well.

Could I point you perhaps at James White Single Variety Apple Juices? The downside is that you have to buy them in boxes of six, and you only get free delivery above £30 so that means a couple of boxes...

takno

Established Member
No idea, as I've got older I've developed an aversion to overly sweet, synthetic tasting foods, so I've never looked for it. I was just stunned that someone who remembers the hell of 1970s desserts could think anything other than butterscotch was the worst flavour of angel delight :lol:
Butterscotch was always the favourite in our house. I mean I'm more than happy to never eat any of them again. Pudding was usually either angel delight, tinned pears and evaporated milk, or a big Ski yoghurt split between 4 of us. On balance I prefer the "don't bother with pudding" option we switched to about 40 years ago.

That's a shame - haggis and Black Pepper was the only flavour that made them interesting.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Butterscotch was always the favourite in our house. I mean I'm more than happy to never eat any of them again. Pudding was usually either angel delight, tinned pears and evaporated milk, or a big Ski yoghurt split between 4 of us. On balance I prefer the "don't bother with pudding" option we switched to about 40 years ago.
Butterscotch it was for us too, and Nigella Lawson said it was her ultimate childhood food treat, but can anyone remember the forerunner to Angel Delight? It definitely existed, was basically the same concept, and my mother used to make it a lot in our London home, from the early 1960s I'd say. Bird's only started producing Angel Delight in 1967, by which time we'd moved house and I'd virtually moved out anyway. The name of the product hovers tantalisingly just out of reach of my brain, but I'd recognise it if I saw it. The internet can be useless for finding this sort of thing when it comes to anything pre 1980s, unfortunately, unless you can conjur a magic word.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Butterscotch it was for us too, and Nigella Lawson said it was her ultimate childhood food treat, but can anyone remember the forerunner to Angel Delight? It definitely existed, was basically the same concept, and my mother used to make it a lot in our London home, from the early 1960s I'd say. Bird's only started producing Angel Delight in 1967, by which time we'd moved house and I'd virtually moved out anyway. The name of the product hovers tantalisingly just out of reach of my brain, but I'd recognise it if I saw it. The internet can be useless for finding this sort of thing when it comes to anything pre 1980s, unfortunately, unless you can conjur a magic word.
Is it Bird's Instant Whip that you're thinking of?

takno

Established Member
Instant Whip and Miracle Whip spring to mind as other brand names.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Is it Bird's Instant Whip that you're thinking of?

Yes indeed. Thanks.

route101

Established Member
Iceland have Greggs branded ones or Farmfoods sell them.

prod_pep

Established Member
Another vote for the pre-sugar tax Lucozade here, as well as some of their long-lost flavours: lemon in particular was divine. Original flavour Lucozade is undrinkable for me since the change, so much so that I'd put it on a par with the sugar-free Coke and Pepsi abominations. Give me a glass of tap water over those.

I don't suppose anyone else remembers the Milkybar Choo? Those and citrus Polos are probably the two items of confectionery I miss the most from childhood.

route101

Established Member
Another vote for the pre-sugar tax Lucozade here, as well as some of their long-lost flavours: lemon in particular was divine. Original flavour Lucozade is undrinkable for me since the change, so much so that I'd put it on a par with the sugar-free Coke and Pepsi abominations. Give me a glass of tap water over those.

I don't suppose anyone else remembers the Milkybar Choo? Those and citrus Polos are probably the two items of confectionery I miss the most from childhood.
They have changed Lucozade again. I tried the Orange today and it tastes different.

You can get Indian Milky Choos in some shops. Not quite the same.

Ours did ciderkin flavoured ones too!!

I could name a few other products as well .. I'm old and more and warey these days though!

And 5.0% Becks.

I bought a can of Shandy Bass home once and my mum went ballistic thinking it was Bass Beer

I was going to say Golden Wonder sausage and tomato crisps, but someone has rebooted the brand and that flavour. Need to investigate.
Beef and Onion Golden Wonder, only seen them in middle aisle of aldi.

McRhu

I don't know if this was unique to Scotland, but the Co-op used to do 'YULADE' Raspberry Wine to go with the Blackcurrant Wine (also now gone I presume) and their Ginger Wine. These weren't actually wine, but a kind of cordial: Very wonderful and as essential for Christmas and Hogmanay as Andy Stewart and Jimmy Shand.

Status
Not open for further replies.