• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Food/snacks/drinks you miss and would like back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gg1

Established Member
Proper Mars bars. Died in 2002 and replaced with the 'Milky Way plus caramel' things we have today.

This one of the rare examples where I think the new recipe is better than the old one, I much prefer the current version.

Altrincham

Cabana chocolate bar (cherry and coconut)

Bitza Pizza crisps

Quattro pop

Texan Bars

Pacers

Seabrook’s Worcester Sauce crisps

Corona Cherryade

Secret (a chocolate bar with a walnut-whip-like filling)

Last edited:

nlogax

Established Member
Back again on the great Altoids Tangerine Sours replacement hunt, These are great. Absolutely bang on in flavour and sourness compared to the originals and only lacking their extreme E number-powered bright orange hue

Tin of Simpkins Tangerine Sours

route101

Established Member
Cabana chocolate bar (cherry and coconut)

Bitza Pizza crisps

Quattro pop

Texan Bars

Pacers

Seabrooks Worcester Sauce crisps

Corona Cherryade

Secret (a chocolate bar with a walnut-whip-like filling)
Seabroosk Worcester Sauce Crisps still exist , see them in B&m and Home Bargains.

philthetube

Established Member
I‘m old enough to remember the days when Lucozade came in glass bottles wrapped in orange cellophane. It was always more expensive than other fizzy drinks and many only had it when they were ill, very much the same as it used to be with grapes. Apparently, when Beechams acquired the the brand in 1938, as a British pharmaceutical company, it was marketed as an energy drink for the sick. I can remember its advertising slogan as being ‘Lucazade aids recovery’. Until the 1980’s when it started to be marketed more as a sports drink it was mainly just sold in pharmacies. I can only remember my parents getting me some when I had the flu very badly as a teenager in the 1970’s and I am sure it tasted very different in those days.
And it came in returnable glass bottles, as should all drinks.

Altrincham

Seabroosk Worcester Sauce Crisps still exist , see them in B&m and Home Bargains.
I‘ve looked for years for their Worcester Sauce crisps and never come across them. They don’t get a mention on the Seabrook website. I will definitely keep an eye out for them in B&M and Home Bargains.

D1511

Cherry Lips, Floral gums and Cremola Foam!
I was also a fan of the Texan bar, and also the Country Style bar, in red gingham packaging. As I recall it was an early raisin and biscuit affair. I also remember a hillbilly themed TV advert for it!

DM352

Mcvitie's United bars. Used to get them cheap at Victor Value and eat an entire pack for lunch along wih a 2L Carters coke to wash it down.

Mcdonalds McRib

Heinz baked bean pizzas

Bantamzen

Established Member
I‘ve looked for years for their Worcester Sauce crisps and never come across them. They don’t get a mention on the Seabrook website. I will definitely keep an eye out for them in B&M and Home Bargains.
Many years ago my Mum used to work in the office at Seabrooks, and it wasn't unusual for them to stop & restart some flavours. So keep an eye on their website too, it may change over time. I just regret that the trial of bacon and brown sauce flavour didn't get into full production. They were sooo good!

Rob F

Cherry Lips, Floral gums and Cremola Foam!
I was also a fan of the Texan bar, and also the Country Style bar, in red gingham packaging. As I recall it was an early raisin and biscuit affair. I also remember a hillbilly themed TV advert for it!
Can definitely still get get Cherry Lips and Floral Gums. I'm a big fan but my wife says they are like eating soap!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Heinz Noodle Doodles and Spaghetti Shells. I remember the former from the days when I was very young and then they seemed to disappear. I think they made a brief comeback before they disappeared again. The Spaghetti Shells appeared some time in the early 80s and had a sauce that was spicier than the one used in regular spaghetti. I can't remember exactly when they vanished from the shelves, but I do miss them.

route101

Established Member
Mcvitie's United bars. Used to get them cheap at Victor Value and eat an entire pack for lunch along wih a 2L Carters coke to wash it down.

Mcdonalds McRib

Heinz baked bean pizzas
I remember the McRib came back around 2015 I think. Not seen since.

Iceland stock the baked bean pizzas but they don't quite taste the same.+

gg1

Established Member
Mcdonalds McRib
Good riddance, they were awful.

Heinz baked bean pizzas
That one at least you should be able to re-create easily? Just buy a triple cheese pizza and pour some baked beans on it?
Sounds disgusting!

That version does but the Heinz version was a lot nicer than it sounded.

Just adding a topping of your choice to a shop bought cheese and tomato pizza (any topping, even the perfectly reasonable ones such as pepperoni or red/green peppers) is never as good as a pizza that has them included as standard anyway.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The beans replace the regular tomato sauce, they need to go under the cheese.
Not having ever had one, how would I have known that?! :)

I'm not keen on the tomatoes, so the only pizzas I've ever eaten were the ones Iceland did a few years back which were triple cheese only but no tomatoes at all...

takno

Established Member
Not having ever had one, how would I have known that?! :)

I'm not keen on the tomatoes, so the only pizzas I've ever eaten were the ones Iceland did a few years back which were triple cheese only but no tomatoes at all...
If there's no tomato it's just cheese on toast. Which, now I come to think of it is delicious with beans.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
They have changed Lucozade again. I tried the Orange today and it tastes different.

I should said no, tastes way off now.
More important than the taste, have they seen sense and realised that the high sugar content was the only reason it existed in the first place?

I don't care if it tastes good, I just want to know I don't need to drink a whole litre bottle to not collapse!

D6130

Established Member
Tudor crisps. They always seemed to be much more flavoursome - and have a greater range of flavours - than their Smith's or Golden Wonder equivalents.

Status
Not open for further replies.