• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forgotten Railmen and women who made significant contribution to railway development deserving honour today

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
A few minutes ago I suddenly realised that Lord (Josiah) Stamp probably died in 1941, and that this year would be the 80th anniversary of his death. So I looked it up on Wikipedia, and indeed, this man, who reformed the LMS root and branch and made it a railway fit to help win the war, died on 16th April, 1941 - in an air raid on London.

He also did a lot of other worthy things, and yet is today largely forgotten, not least in the railway world. As far as I know, there is no memorial on railway property - anyone know better? Could the modified Euston find room for a statue, if funding could be arranged?

At the very least, could one of the freight companies name a locomotive after the man? (Was there ever such a named loco? I suspect not. Perhaps 46257 or 71000 should have carried his name?)

It got me thinking who else contributed in a significant way to railway development who's largely ignored and forgotten. Not your Stephensons, Brunels, Staniers or Gresleys (very worthy people that they were, and rightly remembered - even if it was their chief draghtsmen who were often responsible for the detailed design) - but perhaps signal engineers or even those former army bods who headed committees of enquiry into railway accidents that were the initiators of major safety improvements?

What about the poor old Southern? Millions of commuters may moan about delays today, but they couldn't have been living in Petersfield and Littlehampton and Sittingbourne without Sir Herbert Walker's foresight. OK, he got a Patriot named after him, but maybe he deserves something today?

There must have been some great innovators and managers in the empire too?

And not forgetting non-British contributors: Who was Walschaerts of valve gear fame? Who was Belpaire of the firebox? (Hint, both come from a small country north of France.)

And one that I love, Wilhelm, aka Hot Steam Schmidt (isn't there a German rock band that should have taken this one up?) - the originator of the Schmidt Superheater.

Anyway, that's my initial list. Note that this list is for railmen/women largely forgotten today who contributed significantly to railway development - it is not meant to include eg like individual examples of bravery - such as the Soham disaster heroes - unless such incidents had an impact on railway development. (This is not to take anything away from these people - just they belong to a different category.)

So, just in case anyone who can do anything about it is reading - if anyone's introducing a new class of engines anytime soon fancies naming some - here's my starters.

Lord (Josiah) Stamp, LMS
Sir Herbert Walker, SR
Egide Walschaerts
Alfred Belpaire
Wilhelm 'Hot Steam' Schmidt

and we might add in Herbert William Garratt too.

Now your turn to nominate and why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
A double memorial for Robert Reid and Sir Bob Reid would get people interested, or confused.

Walschaerts, the name, is ubiquitous in spotters books, I wish I could understand how his valve gear works, is it really quite simple? Of course he was Belgian.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The work of British Rail Research in developing the world-leading solid state interlocking was recognised by the award of an OBE to Alan Cribbens.

Veteran Member
Sir Herbert Walker KCB had two: a Patriot 45535 and has E6003 apparently.

Calthrop

Established Member
Walschaerts, the name, is ubiquitous in spotters books, I wish I could understand how his valve gear works, is it really quite simple? Of course he was Belgian.

I just can't resist the temptation -- have quoted the following on these Forums before, more than once -- however: Bryan Morgan, totally a self-confessed "aesthete not techie", writes in his The End Of The Line, "I doubt if the Walschaerts gear holds any very mind-cracking secrets, but I simply cannot be troubled to learn even how to spell it".

colchesterken

My old friend Bernard the station person at Stoke Mandeville in the 80s has an overgrown statue of him in the entrance road to the station
He was every commuters friend would chat to everyone, was proud to be on the railway

Taunton

Established Member
Gerry Fiennes at least had got an OBE, but if the Permanent Secretary at the Min of Transport, who doubtless ended up with honours coming out of his ears, would have had anything to do with it, for the one-line criticism (it was) of Ministry indecisiveness in his book I'm sure that in addition to firing him it would have been snatched away.

Titfield

Established Member
Gerry Fiennes at least had got an OBE, but if the Permanent Secretary at the Min of Transport, who doubtless ended up with honours coming out of his ears, would have had anything to do with it, for the one-line criticism (it was) of Ministry indecisiveness in his book I'm sure that in addition to firing him it would have been snatched away.

I have read Gerry Fiennes' book and I cant help but feel there is far more to this story than has been told.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Charles Spagnoletti. He was the GWRs first telegraph engineer and credited with developing the block telegraph system of railway signalling.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
The work of British Rail Research in developing the world-leading solid state interlocking was recognised by the award of an OBE to Alan Cribbens.

He sounds good and worthy for the list.

90 007 was ‘Lord Stamp’

I didn't know they named any WDs?
:)
Sorry, I'm not up with modern traction. You use the past tense: has it been de-named, or scrapped?
Edward Tyer.
Why, please? I have no idea who he is.

ac6000cw

Established Member
American Richard Dilworth was Chief Engineer of the Electro-Motive Company/Corporation/Division from 1926 to 1950, and I think has a good claim to be the 'father' of the mainline diesel-electric locomotive as we know it today.

Whilst EMC/EMD didn't invent the diesel-electric loco, it certainly developed it into a reliable, standardised, production line unit and consigned steam power to the history books in the US - we'd call it 'disruptive technology' now, yet Dilworth seems little known outside of people with serious interest in the subject.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm not sure that he's actually forgotten as such, but is there any memorial to Thomas Edmondson, the inventor of the Edmondson railway ticket?

I know that there's a display in the Museum at Lancaster (his birthplace) and I've seen a couple of displays in several places, but I'm not aware of any significant memorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.